• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us HBO series planned for 8 seasons, budget "upward of $200-million per year", according to Alberta premier Jason Kenney

Bartski

Gold Member

Kenney spoke about large increases in activity this year for sectors like natural resources, agriculture, construction, and real estate. The companies that were able to shift their business models during the pandemic, in particular, have been doing quite well.

Even the film and TV sector is thriving, as filming for the new HBO series based on the video game, The Last of Us, started this summer in Southern Alberta. Kenney has been told that HBO will be spending upwards of $200-million per year on the project, which could last as many as eight seasons.

ZoukGalaxy

8 seasons ? o_O
Maybe wait for the audience to the 1st season first ?
ad640bb1-2848-4330-8cc2-1f93f510d0eb_text.gif

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
This confirms my theory that they wouldn't tell the story of the first game in only one season. The game is too big to fill in just 10 episodes. They will probably fill in the gaps of the time jumps between Seasons.

This is a smart take. Makes me like my HBO account ALOT more now.

ShadowNate

8 seasons sounds like a lot. I think most show creators in general have a rough idea about how many seasons they can stretch the story over, but you typically hear a number between 4 and 6. And as a viewer you actually won't hear about these numbers until after the first season is either over or midway and going really well in the ratings.

DarthPutin

I mean the people behind the scenes who are footing the bill for eight seasons.
Well, it's HBO. And while Sony would love that no doubt, HBO ain't financing no game, only TV show))

Anyhow, wonder if we'll see Joel at his darkest, during survival years with his brother. I think I will. And some people will complain that the show is tarnishing his image.

catvonpee

No doubt the show is gonna have better script than the second or any third game could dream of
Yeah no doubt. I thought the flashback parts in between the chapters of TLOU2 were long winded and drawn out. Dreadfully boring...

This still doesn't change the fact that I thought the game was amazing. I didn't care about the characters or anything... But the game just as a game was awesome. Especially playing with slow motion aiming. I kind of enjoyed killing everyone as Ellie too. So I guess I enjoyed the story in that sense. I also enjoyed the brutality of the game and the part in the hospital was one of the best survival horror segments in a game I ever experienced.

If there was a TLOU3 out now I'd go pay a scalpers price to get a PS5 just so I could play it today. (This is coming from a diehard Xbox fan who wants to wait for the inevitable mid-cylce refresh PS5PRO and some games I actually want to play.)

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
How the fuck are they going to drag this out for that long. It’s gonna pass the games and just I dunno. This news sounds a bit far fetched to be talking like this now.

Tsukumo

Ever since I was a little kid, all I ever wanted was to watch a meteor falling from the sky at full speed, trailing through the atmosphere ozone in a ball of flame. A glorious disaster that would make me a witness of the might and mystery of unknown space.
Turns out, HBO will make my wish come through and watching this show crash and burn will be highlight of my entire life.

Lunarorbit

8 seasons is excessive for tlou. They must be filming a ton this year. I thought she was younger but Bella Ramsey is already 17. They are gonna age out of ellie from the first game really quick. Maybe the first season is just summer/fall, then season 2 is winter/spring? With lots of back story in between each season.

I wasn't anticipating them to just go straight into the second game but maybe in two years she'll be old enough looking to play ellie in the sequel?

Dose this mean naughty dog will jump straight to last of us 3, rather then a new ip or uncharted 5, dont know how feel about about that, but please, no more woke shit, it already ruined doctor who in the uk, gamers don't care about pc culture, just make a great game,

Fuck me, no.

Nobody wants that much Last Of Us, and nobody liked it because it was a post apocalypse zombie show.

The pull was the relationship between Joel and Ellie. It’s done at the end of the first game, and you can’t stretch it over eight seasons.

This shit will just descend into another Walking Dead knock off. SMH.

Agreed. Even BEFORE the TLOU2 leaks, I did not want another Joel and Ellie focused story. The U.S is a big place and "The Last of Us" should be about so many other stories rather than Joel and Ellie. The first game was littered with cool lore going on that we learn of like those people we see evidence for when Joel and party learned about Ish and the people with him in the sewers: https://thelastofus.fandom.com/wiki/Ish

Reminder, that for all of my dislike of TLOU 2, it's not because "female lesbian protagonist." That aspect of the game story is the absolute least of the things I have issue with in it. Meaning, it's not on the list at all.

Last edited:

Fbh

8 Seasons makes me go from cautiously optimistic to expecting the worst.
TLOU worked because it centered on Ellie and Joel. But if they have to stretch this to 8 seasons it will just be another generic Zombie show.

Last edited:

JumpMan1981

Banned
The Last of Us might be a bit too much for a movie but it wouldn't have enough content for anything more than an 8 episode limited series.

I don't see any way you get 8 seasons out of the base story which means a load of new characters that won't connect with fans.

8 seasons is like 80 episodes or more! Madness!

apowhungo

this means complete shit coming from the province's premier. when does a politician not try to hype up their own shit, he's just trying to encourage others to come spend film money with them too.

they 100% only have the first season greenlit

farmerboy

Cos you all need some. God forbid that HBO thinks it has something good on its hands, and wants to pre plan ahead properly to do one of the greatest videogame IP's justice.

Top Bottom