• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Day (Outbreak Day)

kyliethicc

It better not be tacked on dude.

The reality is EVERYONE was expecting factions to launch with tlou2 (like for the first one) until Sept 2019 came out in Sept 2019 and Neil and some other nd dev said there is no multiplayer.

Then, hours after outrage, naughty dog announced in a press release that they are indeed working on a standalone project.

Then now, they said they're still working on it and keep telling us to be patient since it's so big and ambitious.

Chances are, they weren't working on jack shit in 2019 and lied to calm people down. It is unrealistic for TWO YEARS LATER for them to have NOTHING to show. Quite frankly it's a joke.

At least think a little before posting lol.

This leaked footage right here of the TLOU2 multiplayer is dated March 2019... which ya know... is 6 months before September 2019...

kUBJir3.jpg

MrJTeera

Alright, guys! Time to put your big multiplayer idea to the test and APPLY for that job!

Don’t let some corporate Fortnite-inspired moneymaker get the gig and run it to the ground!

Apeopleman

The reality is EVERYONE was expecting factions to launch with tlou2 (like for the first one) until Sept 2019 came out in Sept 2019 and Neil and some other nd dev said there is no multiplayer.

Then, hours after outrage, naughty dog announced in a press release that they are indeed working on a standalone project.

Then now, they said they're still working on it and keep telling us to be patient since it's so big and ambitious.

Chances are, they weren't working on jack shit in 2019 and lied to calm people down. It is unrealistic for TWO YEARS LATER for them to have NOTHING to show. Quite frankly it's a joke.

So if it truly is so ambitious that it needs to be standalone and make us cough up more money for something that should've launched with the game, then it better BE MORE than the first game's admittedly tacked on mode. Likely, it will have a big battle royale mode in addition to the standard stuff as tlou already has many systems in place (crafting, inventory mgmt, transportation ((horse, boat)), ropes, scavenging loot, etc) that could fit well into a battle royale. Which would be satisfactory, but why take so long to reveal anything about it? The longer they make people wait the more they lose interest.
This post is right on the money. It better be huge. Battle royale. Fully fleshed out mulitplayer. ND definitely lied

THEAP99

Banned
Apeopleman Apeopleman THEAP99 THEAP99 Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes Hezekiah Hezekiah

Here's a bunch of reddit comments breaking down the last leaked footage from last year.

Plenty of possibilities they speculated on including co-op modes, story missions, PvPvE modes, battle royale, etc.

Of course the leaked video has been deleted by now unfortunately.

Sgyn945.jpg

CyjSBfw.jpg

g6rDu13.jpg

OsvXcCm.jpg

doVXn3m.jpg

guvmXjq.jpg
Thanks for clarifying. I'm just so frustrated with them. Like we really may not see this game till like 2023 so hopefully all that time in the oven pays off. Perhaps Sony thinks this can be their sea of thieves or big multiplayer money maker. Just crazy we haven't gotten any official information really and are just going off of leaks two years after they said it wasn't launching with tlou2. Really don't get it.. hope the silence is worth it

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Apeopleman Apeopleman THEAP99 THEAP99 Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes Hezekiah Hezekiah

Here's a bunch of reddit comments breaking down the last leaked footage from last year.

Plenty of possibilities they speculated on including co-op modes, story missions, PvPvE modes, battle royale, etc.

Of course the leaked video has been deleted by now unfortunately.

Sgyn945.jpg

CyjSBfw.jpg

g6rDu13.jpg

OsvXcCm.jpg

doVXn3m.jpg

guvmXjq.jpg

Do you recall the leaked video by any chance kyliethicc? (Also, how do you tag people so they're notified you're referencing them?)

The only video I remember watching was one where people called it a 2018 build of the game. It was this one...

Was there a different leak? I'm pretty up on all this stuff so I'm surprised a 2020 build leak snuck past me.

kyliethicc

Do you recall the leaked video by any chance kyliethicc? (Also, how do you tag people so they're notified you're referencing them?)

The only video I remember watching was one where people called it a 2018 build of the game. It was this one...

Was there a different leak? I'm pretty up on all this stuff so I'm surprised a 2020 build leak snuck past me.

It was part of the leaks around or at the same time as the story leaks back in spring 2020. It was like 90% load times / characters falling through floors, and like 10% actual gameplay / menus. Low res video. Can only find one or two screenshots online still, and they show basically nothing other than a ton of dev kit text.

I did watch it a while back and I do distinctly recall the menu having the option to "skip day" and "restart day" which makes it seem clear there is some sort of co-op story mode or PvE thing. And it seems to be related to or the same thing as this 2v2 encounters thing. Could be a PvPvE mode thats like 2v2 with infected around, or more like a co-op campaign, etc.

RghDbDg.jpg
XY13BNG.jpg

And to tag just type @ then start typing their name and a list will drop down to select the user.

Apeopleman

Kyliethicc is the homie, thanks for that leak info. That’s awesome news!

edit: screenshot with teams: ? And deaths : 0 Looks like battle royale! Let’s go! Battle royale in TLOU universe will work beautifully! Since all resources are super scarce by design

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
It was an LGBT game, the critical acclaim and awards were built in.
Na dude give them more credit than that, the graphics where also top notch too, otherwise it would have gotten only a 9/10 for diversity.

Honestly I don't think factions is coming, maybe it will in name only, but I think it will something completely diffrent from what people are expecting, most likely a trend chaser.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Was referring to it being the most awarded game of all time, then? 'k
Man, I see people saying this a lot now, but It's not, it's got the most game of the year awards because it was a weak year, it would never get that in 2007, 2017, or 2018, but even so, if you look at most awarded of all time, games like Mario Bros. or Half-Life got hundreds of various awards over the years, far more than last of us 2. Last of us 2 got the most awards during a year, which is impressive, but it's mainly because of the massive amount of websites giving out rewards, making it incomparable to earlier years. Half of the awards people site from are also from absurd dumb-ass websites with no credibility.

Hugare

Man, I see people saying this a lot now, but It's not, it's got the most game of the year awards because it was a weak year, it would never get that in 2007, 2017, or 2018, but even so, if you look at most awarded of all time, games like Mario Bros. or Half-Life got hundreds of various awards over the years, far more than last of us 2. Last of us 2 got the most awards during a year, which is impressive, but it's mainly because of the massive amount of websites giving out rewards, making it incomparable to earlier years. Half of the awards people site from are also from absurd dumb-ass websites with no credibility.
Not gonna argue with you. Its not my opinion, its a fact. Its the most awarded game of all time.

If the main reason for that is that nowadays there are more outlets and etc. giving awards, we should have a new most awarded game anytime soon, right? We will see.

But saying that 2020 was a weak year? GTFO. Half Life Alyx, Ghost of Tsushima, FF VII R, Yakuza 7, Animal Crossing

It was far from being the weakest of the generation

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Not gonna argue with you. Its not my opinion, its a fact. Its the most awarded game of all time.

If the main reason for that is that nowadays there are more outlets and etc. giving awards, we should have a new most awarded game anytime soon, right? We will see.

But saying that 2020 was a weak year? GTFO. Half Life Alyx, Ghost of Tsushima, FF VII R, Yakuza 7, Animal Crossing

It was far from being the weakest of the generation
A fact? where do you get this from? you could probably find thousands of awards for Mario 64 over the years.

God of War had to face Red Dead Redemption 2, and Breath of the Wild had to face PUBG, Mario Odyssey, Nier: Automata, and tons of other games in one of the strongest years ever. Last of Us 2 was the default choice with very few candidates on the same scale. No one is gonna give GOTY to Ghosts or Animal Crossing, even though they are great, it was obvious.

The awards that God of War and Zelda mustered, are A LOT more impressive and hard-fought than The Last of Us 2. It's not even in the same ballpark.

Hezekiah

Banned
The TLOU2 multiplayer was probably just scrapped (to be rebooted from scratch). And clearly they stopped working on it for a while to get the singleplayer game done and shipped. They knew they only needed the singleplayer to sell the game and win awards etc. (Same as GoW, HZD, etc.) And by now, they probably want to create a $70 multiplayer game that will last years. Its probably taking them time to try to make something different and bigger than just the PvP they've done before. I'd expect something more like Destiny or GTA Online, not just more TLOU Factions 4v4 TDM PvP. Its gonna be a live service ongoing game. Probably will even have some PvE modes too. Perhaps even PvPvE.
Yeah seems that way, the ambition/scale has been raised. A GaaS designed to last five+ years.

And I wonder who they're hiring, like presumably they want some experienced multiplayer devs to join the project.

I'm really excited to see what it ends up looking like, just hope like many of us we're not waiting for ages. On the plus side it should be PS5 only, and NDs level design could make this a mouthwatering prospect.

Hugare

A fact? where do you get this from? you could probably find thousands of awards for Mario 64 over the years.

God of War had to face Red Dead Redemption 2, and Breath of the Wild had to face PUBG, Mario Odyssey, Nier: Automata, and tons of other games in one of the strongest years ever. Last of Us 2 was the default choice with very few candidates on the same scale. No one is gonna give GOTY to Ghosts or Animal Crossing, even though they are great, it was obvious.

The awards that God of War and Zelda mustered, are A LOT more impressive and hard-fought than The Last of Us 2. It's not even in the same ballpark.

If thats not a reliable source in your opinion, well, what can I do? But it is what it is.

I'm not saying that TLOU 2 faced the worst competition possible. I'm just saying that 2020 was no 2014. FF VII R and HL Alyx are more than enough competition. Alyx sits at a 93 MC score.

Now my opinion about it: I preffer the first game, but the second one was also really great and deserves the recognition.

Bragr

Banned

If thats not a reliable source in your opinion, well, what can I do? But it is what it is.

I'm not saying that TLOU 2 faced the worst competition possible. I'm just saying that 2020 was no 2014. FF VII R and HL Alyx are more than enough competition. Alyx sits at a 93 MC score.

Now my opinion about it: I preffer the first game, but the second one was also really great and deserves the recognition.
That's an award per year tracker, it's not the same thing as most awards in history. The Last of Us 2 is not the most awarded game of all time. You can use that site and go back to 2007, where the winner got 47 awards, compared to over 300 for The Last of Us 2. They are tracking more and more websites each year, which means that if Witcher 3 was tracked today, it might hit way over 300. It's impressive how many awards it got, but that website track different metrics for each year, which makes it dumb to compare year the year, the only thing you can claim is that it beat the other games of the same year.

Alex was good but never that sort of game, The Last of Us 2 was one of the most hyped games from one of the biggest developers. Once in a while, you get a game like this, maybe once or twice a year, but what's odd about The Last of Us 2 is how it "only" hit 93 on meta, there were plenty of people who didn't like it, but even websites that weren't blown away by it still gave it game of the year, because the alternatives didn't match up.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The Last of Us Part II
Doom Eternal
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
Hades

Sekiro
Death Stranding
Control
The Outer Worlds
Resident Evil 2
Smash Bros

God of War
Red Dead Redemption 2
Marvel's Spider-Man
Assassins' Creed Odyssey
Celeste

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Horizon Zero Dawn
Persona 5
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Super Mario Odyssey

Calling it a weak year is just an excuse. If people on here storm every thread and claim it's as bad as they think it is, other games would've won more awards.

Bragr

Banned
The Last of Us Part II
Doom Eternal
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
Hades

Sekiro
Death Stranding
Control
The Outer Worlds
Resident Evil 2
Smash Bros

God of War
Red Dead Redemption 2
Marvel's Spider-Man
Assassins' Creed Odyssey
Celeste

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Horizon Zero Dawn
Persona 5
PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
Super Mario Odyssey

Calling it a weak year is just an excuse. If people on here storm every thread and claim it's as bad as they think it is, other games would've won more awards.
Every other year the games had competition. No one is gonna pick Doom Eternal over The Last of Us 2. This list highlights it more than anything, Sekiro over Death Stranding is not clear, neither is the games of 2017 or 2018. 2020 however, is clear.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Every other year the games had competition. No one is gonna pick Doom Eternal over The Last of Us 2. This list highlights it more than anything, Sekiro over Death Stranding is not clear, neither is the games of 2017 or 2018. 2020 however, is clear.

Doom Eternal

Sites picked Doom, Ghost of Tsushima, Hades etc.

Last edited:
It's so funny seeing people still so desperate to discredit TLOU2.

If you don't like it that's fine. Why do you still care? It's over a year later.

Most people love it and think it's brilliant. Why does that offend you?

I hate lots of games that people love and I just don't talk about them.

Last edited:

Bragr

Banned
Doom Eternal

Sites picked Doom, Ghost of Tsushima, Hades etc.
You can find sites that picked Sakuna if you look long enough. No one of these games had any chance to top The Last of Us 2.

2018 and 2019 were hard to pick, 2020 was not. You just can't make the argument that the game had to struggle. It was a breeze, unlike most years, that's why it won so much.

Bragr

Banned
It's so funny seeing people still so desperate to discredit TLOU2.

If you don't like it that's fine. Why do you still care? It's over a year later.

Most people love it and think it's brilliant. Why does that offend you?

I hate lots of games tba people love and I just don't talk about them.
I'm not trying to discredit it, it's an amazing game and my game of the year too, but this idea that it's the most praised game in history is just rubbish, that's the argument here.

I'm not trying to discredit it, it's an amazing game and my game of the year too, but this idea that it's the most praised game in history is just rubbish, that's the argument here.

It's the most awarded game since some people started counting online Game of the Year awards that met a certain criteria.

There is and will never be a most praised game in history as it's impossible to measure.

The key thing it it's ONE of the most awarded and or most praised.

If this was GTA I'd doubt people would bother having the conversation though. And no one was trying to discredit the Witcher 3 when it held the title.

That leak ruined discourse related to this game which is sad but the game in itself is great.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

So if it truly is so ambitious that it needs to be standalone and make us cough up more money for something that should've launched with the game, then it better BE MORE than the first game's admittedly tacked on mode. Likely, it will have a big battle royale mode in addition to the standard stuff as tlou already has many systems in place (crafting, inventory mgmt, transportation ((horse, boat)), ropes, scavenging loot, etc) that could fit well into a battle royale. Which would be satisfactory, but why take so long to reveal anything about it? The longer they make people wait the more they lose interest.

No, you're just too busy complaining.
Anthony Newman - "There is going to be multiplayer with the game".

Naughty Dog releases a statement that multiplayer will not be part of The Last of Us Part II.

From June 22, 2018, to September 26, 2020, Naughty Dog wanted to expand on the Fractions multiplayer and make it a Stand-Alone Project.

A team of Bend Studio developers was most likely assigned to help in the development of the Fractions Multiplayer in 2019

This fixation on teams that churn out hits is creating unrest across Sony's portfolio of game studios. Oregon-based Sony Bend, best known for the 2019 open-world action game Days Gone, tried unsuccessfully to pitch a sequel that year, according to people familiar with the proposal. Although the first game had been profitable, its development had been lengthy and critical reception was mixed, so a Days Gone 2 wasn’t seen as a viable option.

Instead, one team at the studio was assigned to help Naughty Dog with a multiplayer game while a second group was assigned to work on a new Uncharted game with supervision from Naughty Dog. Some staff, including top leads, were unhappy with this arrangement and left. Bend's developers feared they might be absorbed into Naughty Dog, and the studio’s leadership asked to be taken off the Uncharted project. They got their wish last month and are now working on a new game of their own that will be part of a brand new franchise.

2020-2021
Naughty Dog Developers

Facts suggest they have been working on it for at least 3 years.

Yeah but this is from march. Not September

Dates recorded are March 27, 2018 and March 30, 2020.

Last edited:
You can find sites that picked Sakuna if you look long enough. No one of these games had any chance to top The Last of Us 2.

2018 and 2019 were hard to pick, 2020 was not. You just can't make the argument that the game had to struggle. It was a breeze, unlike most years, that's why it won so much.
You can't say that's why it won so much because you don't know it wouldn't of won anyway.

You can argue for it being better than loads of previous game of the years. It's personal preference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom