• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Releasing On February 21st, 2020 | New Trailer

mortal

Gold Member
EeJE0ly.gif
KAxlXdv.gif

DavidGzz

Looks awesome! Best animations so far. The actual gameplay looked no prettier than RDR2 which is fine since that is a high bar.

Day 1 but most definitely only 1 playthrough. Reserving a second one for the PS5 version.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
It was pretty obvious from the Left Behind DLC that the relationship between Ellie and Riley was no mere friendship. Even the previous trailer made it very clear that Ellie and Dina were in a relationship. Honestly, fans of the game who still believed that Ellie was straight at this point are either homophobes in denial or really stupid. Possibly both.
Ellie literally kissed Riley out of nowhere, though.

Any fan of the game should've known, as they should've played Left Behind.

These gay-agenda accusations are retarded. Ellie was gay back then and it was actually well done and felt 'natural'. Makes perfect sense that her being gay is just a continuation from something that was there from the start.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Could just be an event trigger based on where the player goes:

If player goes under car --> trigger script --> else do something

Either way, scripts exist in all games. I'm not exactly sure what point Lionel Richie is trying to make. Is he implying that the game will not play or look like this?

Take this for example.

The first half of this trailer.

The gameplay was scripted and fake. A lot of this stuff never appeared in the game and the scene was toned down heavily.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Honestly not blown away by any part of that trailer. Seems like it's ND's first open world game. Seems like Red Dead Redemption 2, only with better controls.

The story doesn't grab me really. I'm not into the characters, and don't care about Ellie or Joel.

If it actually plays well, and you can not get too bogged down by pretentious SJW story beats, then I'd be down for roaming an open world and stealth killing people. That's about my only interest in it so far.

Just because the character is lesbian, that doesn't spark sjw tones.

If this was some game that was geared towards that narrative, then they would create a story where they killed her because she's a lesbian.

DavidGzz

Pause it and take a screenshot when the player is controlling the actual camera. Cut scenes always look better.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Very accurate compassion. Here's another one:

48790086617_ee14e9d0ac_o.png

penis-red-dead-redemption-2.jpg

This is the moment where sometimes i cherrish the people on Rera

They get rid of people like you real quick

I see another neo member id

Perhaps because you dont seems to last very long on other gaming community either

Last edited:

plushyp

This 100% no way you will be able to play as Joel in 2020.

Why else would Tommy come over instead of Joel?
Yeah, this is exactly what I thought as well.

I'm trying to use the marks on Ellie's face for timelines. That little scrape on her right cheek. The more I watch it, I'm thinking Ellie and Dina go off. Ellie loses sight of Dina and is looking for her and sees her going off with these groups of other humans/militia. She tries to find 'Dina' and that's when Joel picks her up as he's been watching the patrols she is on. They get split again and eventually stumbles into that cabin where Dina has Joel captive - eventually shooting him and starting off the revenge.

Gonnnnnnna be a long few months to speculate!!!
Interesting theory and I like this idea. Might be that Dina is a double agent which would make it a very interesting rug-pull from what ND has portrayed in the trailers.

This is the moment where sometimes i cherrish the people on Rera

They get rid of people like you real quick

I see another neo member id

Perhaps because you dont seems to last very long on other gaming community either

Don't focus on the image itself but on the point I'm trying to make. And the point is that there's no point. There's no point in posting two random still images focusing on very specific graphical aspect of the game to prove that one is superior than another.

mortal

Gold Member
"the last lesbian"

great that most Sony games have 2 womans as lead characters......
thx sony for fighting for the lbtqabc123-+*#. rights
I have heard that ca. 30% of Sony playerbase are transgender/lesbian/gay people.
thats wonderful.
What in the world...

bitbydeath

Don't focus on the image itself but on the point I'm trying to make. And the point is that there's no point. There's no point in posting two random still images focusing on very specific graphical aspect of the game to prove that one is superior than another.

RDR2 is very cartoony looking.

DAYS-GONE_20190424230139.jpg

images

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Looks great but I'm not buying it regardless. Not new that is. Will probably buy it used at some later point.

These days I basically only buy games day one to show my support for the developer and I can't bring myself to support ND anymore with them being the personification of well... you know.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

What? Are you being serious? RDr2 rund native 4K and its an open world Game. It’s on a whole new level. Horizon and days gone are nothing against it.

That doesn’t mean much. Pacman could be 8K, 240FPS and that doesn’t suddenly put it on the best looking games list.

I did an image comparison above so you can see for yourself.

xrnzaaas

Trailer was underwhelming tbh, I didn't like constant cuts to black (except for the clicker one). At least they've finally revealed grandpa Joel.

Last edited:

Arun1910

So going by this trailer I think that the story will either be.

1. Revenge for Joel dying prior to the game.
  2. Revenge for Ellie's girlfriend (who could die, it's an assumption, but those guys in the trailer seem like they shot her.)
Regardless, she is avenging someone she loves. It's one of the two.

Now, I think Joel is part of Ellie's imagination, I don't think he is alive at all, in either case above.

She may be hallucinating Joel when she feels lost the most, or in a certain headspace. A plausible explanation for this is the Cordyceps in her head evolving or mutating. Depending on where it is in her head, it could most definitely cause hallucinations.

It could also explain why she needs to wear a spore mask in the trailer too, although she could be trying to keep immunity a secret.

Personally I think the mutating Cordyceps in her head is plausible as, from the trailer, we saw new mutations of enemies. No one ever said that the Cordyceps in Ellie would never change.

Anyway, that's the theory. That Joel is gone, Ellie wants revenge for her GF, and Joel pops up as a "guide" throughout.

GymWolf

I'm trying to use the marks on Ellie's face for timelines. That little scrape on her right cheek. The more I watch it, I'm thinking Ellie and Dina go off. Ellie loses sight of Dina and is looking for her and sees her going off with these groups of other humans/militia. She tries to find 'Dina' and that's when Joel picks her up as he's been watching the patrols she is on. They get split again and eventually stumbles into that cabin where Dina has Joel captive - eventually shooting him and starting off the revenge.

Gonnnnnnna be a long few months to speculate!!!
I'm 100% with you, never trusted that dina chick from the first moment.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Just because the character is lesbian, that doesn't spark sjw tones.

If this was some game that was geared towards that narrative, then they would create a story where they killed her because she's a lesbian.

Well, it's actually very plausible that's the story they are running with.

They found Ellie's girlfriend, they found out she is lesbian and they begin to say that's a sin or something. End up killing her.

And there you have it, the SJW victimhood fantasy came to life.

So yeah, I will wait to watch the game first before discarding anything.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Well, it's actually very plausible that's the story they are running with.

They found Ellie's girlfriend, they found out she is lesbian and they begin to say that's a sin or something. End up killing her.

And there you have it, the SJW victimhood fantasy came to life.

So yeah, I will wait to watch the game first before discarding anything.
Unlikely.

If they wanted to kill her because she's a lesbian, then they would've killed Ellie too.

J3nga

2. Revenge for Ellie's girlfriend (who could die, it's an assumption, but those guys in the trailer seem like they shot her.)

Now, I think Joel is part of Ellie's imagination, I don't think he is alive at all, in either case above.

She may be hallucinating Joel when she feels lost the most, or in a certain headspace. A plausible explanation for this is the Cordyceps in her head evolving or mutating. Depending on where it is in her head, it could most definitely cause hallucinations.

It could also explain why she needs to wear a spore mask in the trailer too, although she could be trying to keep immunity a secret.

Personally I think the mutating Cordyceps in her head is plausible as, from the trailer, we saw new mutations of enemies. No one ever said that the Cordyceps in Ellie would never change.

Anyway, that's the theory. That Joel is gone, Ellie wants revenge for her GF, and Joel pops up as a "guide" throughout.
Not again this Joel ghost bs 🤦‍♂️

It looks like Dina's going to die very early in the game and Ellie will go on a path of revenge, but... I think that plot will end up pretty early in the game and there will be some other goal or stuff goes completely different direction. The guys that were holding Ellie looked regular, weren't seraphites or fireflies. Just my theory, but the premise seems kind of obvious and I don't think that is just enough to fulfill the game.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ellie still wears her bracelet in the trailer, so im sure she gets killed during that scene.

I said before that the woman from the PGW trailer is probably Ellie's mother.

I think she meets up with someone who knew her, maybe that young boy from the trailer.

I hope we hear something about her tomorrow.

emmerrei

Gays on not, i'm going to buy that on day one, and in this generation i've bought like 0 game on day one. People who complain about this lesbian thing, do that just because they feel like the whole thing is forced, in a period of time where this argument is talked everywhere. If you really cared to represent LGBT stuffs, you would do that even in the previous games, not just now because it's the main topic. Anyway, the good thing is that the relation ship here is between 2 girls, imagine the opposite, the reaction would be much stronger.

Not again this Joel ghost bs 🤦‍♂️

It looks like Dina's going to die very early in the game and Ellie will go on a path of revenge, but... I think that plot will end up pretty early in the game and there will be some other goal or stuff goes completely different direction. The guys that were holding Ellie looked regular, weren't seraphites or fireflies. Just my theory, but the premise seems kind of obvious and I don't think that is just enough to fulfill the game.

I guarantee that the reasoning behind the bandits killing Ellie's girlfriend is that she started to turn after getting infected by Ellie's kiss. Only the thing is that only they saw it and Ellie thinks they killed her for kicks. Ellie didn't know she had infected her.

Remember David didn't automatically turn after Ellie bit him.

That will be the big twist. BOOK IT.

Can an hallucination drive a car? Ellie sits in the passenger seat at 2:17. If you look at the environment it is the same place Joel shows up.

Last edited:

Arun1910

Gays on not, i'm going to buy that on day one, and in this generation i've bought like 0 game on day one. People who complain about this lesbian thing, do that just because they feel like the whole thing is forced, in a period of time where this argument is talked everywhere. If you really cared to represent LGBT stuffs, you would do that even in the previous games, not just now because it's the main topic. Anyway, the good thing is that the relation ship here is between 2 girls, imagine the opposite, the reaction would be much stronger.

I find it funny that for people who care so much for this game (apparently), they never bothered to play the Left Behind DLC which clearly shows that Ellie is Gay (or at least Bi). We have known this since 2014.

Jon Neu

Banned
The "Anti-SJW" reactionary movement exploded a bit after Left Behind came out and old timey conservatism became cool again.

It exploded after the SJW reactionary movement exploded and tried to occupy every aspect of the cultural landscape for propaganda uses. It's literally a reaction against an aggresive occupation and propaganda.

A reaction to a hateful regressive & authoritarian ideals disguided as left wing politics, which makes that people like you claim that everybody who doesn't like SJW injected stuff it's a conservative, when actually a lot of people like myself, are left-wing.

Dr Kaneda

I feel like people get hung up/excited by the animations more than the gameplay. Of course ND has always had amazing animation, it's obviously a joy to watch and very much appreciated. But it's not the be all and end all. And it goes back to a previous comment I made whereby I feel that they sacrifice on the gameplay and "script it" or put it "on the rails" to maximise the animation flow.

Jon Neu

Banned
I feel like people get hung up/excited by the animations more than the gameplay. Of course ND has always had amazing animation, it's obviously a joy to watch and very much appreciated. But it's not the be all and end all. And it goes back to a previous comment I made whereby I feel that they sacrifice on the gameplay and "script it" or put it "on the rails" to maximise the animation flow.

Good animations are super important, both to gameplay and to tell a story.

And I don't see where is the sacrifice, they have amazing graphics in an open world environment. The amazing animations, scripted or not, just make everything else even better.

Top Bottom