• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 fan discovers that Abby can kill Tommy, if she’s fast enough

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

A The Last of Us 2 fan has discovered a way for Abby to kill Tommy during the sniper chase scene.

In their latest hidden details in The Last of Us 2 video, YouTuber Speclizer discovered that Abby can actually kill Tommy during the sniper scene - if you're fast enough that is. In this portion of the game, protagonist Abby and fellow WLF member Manny are chasing down a mystery assailant who is attacking the pair from afar with a sniper.

As you navigate this scene, you later find out that this person is actually Tommy, who fans of the series will already know as lead protagonist Joel’s brother. This scene sees the three running through Seattle’s marina as both parties attempt to take out the other without getting caught in the crossfire.

Usually in the game, Abby and Manny will catch up to Tommy in an abandoned cruise ship terminal as Tommy pulls a shutter down creating a barrier between him, Abby, and Manny. This then leads the pair to pursue him through another door and if you’ve played the game, you’ll already know how this backfires.

In Speclizer’s video, we get the same scenario; however, instead of cautiously approaching Tommy, the player in the footage expertly sprints towards the shutter and manages to get under it, Indiana Jones-style, before Tommy shuts it. Now on the other side of the shutter, Abby can inflict damage onto Tommy and even kill him if she wants to.

What this glitch means for the rest of the game, we’re not exactly sure. However since Tommy is needed in the next few scenes to progress the story, we’re going to assume the next cutscene either can’t be triggered without Tommy or will just reset when players approach the right area.

Salz01

This is cool. The sniper chase is one of the best parts. I always thought it would be good to see either Ellie or Abbey in the distance with the sort of split time lines going on when you played as the opposite.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

A The Last of Us 2 fan has discovered a way for Abby to kill Tommy during the sniper chase scene.

In their latest hidden details in The Last of Us 2 video, YouTuber Speclizer discovered that Abby can actually kill Tommy during the sniper scene - if you're fast enough that is. In this portion of the game, protagonist Abby and fellow WLF member Manny are chasing down a mystery assailant who is attacking the pair from afar with a sniper.

As you navigate this scene, you later find out that this person is actually Tommy, who fans of the series will already know as lead protagonist Joel’s brother. This scene sees the three running through Seattle’s marina as both parties attempt to take out the other without getting caught in the crossfire.

Usually in the game, Abby and Manny will catch up to Tommy in an abandoned cruise ship terminal as Tommy pulls a shutter down creating a barrier between him, Abby, and Manny. This then leads the pair to pursue him through another door and if you’ve played the game, you’ll already know how this backfires.

In Speclizer’s video, we get the same scenario; however, instead of cautiously approaching Tommy, the player in the footage expertly sprints towards the shutter and manages to get under it, Indiana Jones-style, before Tommy shuts it. Now on the other side of the shutter, Abby can inflict damage onto Tommy and even kill him if she wants to.

What this glitch means for the rest of the game, we’re not exactly sure. However since Tommy is needed in the next few scenes to progress the story, we’re going to assume the next cutscene either can’t be triggered without Tommy or will just reset when players approach the right area.

More people will hate Abby.

Todavía echando más leña al fuego 😂😂😂😂😂

Ryu Kaiba

I have a couple more that I experienced myself.

The part where Ellie takes the motorboat, I mistakenly swam through the last portion of it, even glitching through a barrier.
When I reloaded the last checkpoint the game actually advanced me to the next scene

Also there's a part where you're supposed to have Yara and Abby play fetch with the dog in the aquarium for a moment until the next scene triggers,
But I threw the fetch toy and it got stuck in one of the shark displays and the scene wouldn't end lol.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

The game should have had a scenario A and scenario B, depending on what happened. But nope, why do that for the little bit of extra effort it takes to kill him. That would naturally make sense, and actually be a good Easter egg.

Kupfer

In my second playthrough I ran pretty fast over that bridge Tommy shoots you from and when I reached the escalator he was stuck right next to it, not shooting me. I couldn't do any damage to him either. But when I reached further, ignoring stuck Tommy, just another, second Tommy spawned and shot me.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The game should have had a scenario A and scenario B, depending on what happened. But nope, why do that for the little bit of extra effort it takes to kill him. That would naturally make sense, and actually be a good Easter egg.
If you have played the game, you know that Tommy is integral part of the story after that scene. He kickstarts the epilogue. Without him, there is no epilogue and no ending of the game.

You want them to change the entire storyline of the game (and make one story/timeline without Tommy, animate it, do the mo-cops, write the dialogues, QA it, optimize it, etc.) just in case if someone finds this glitch (which took one year to find)?

Not sure if that qualifies as a "little bit of extra effort".

FranXico

GlisteningTinyAlaskankleekai-size_restricted.gif

kiphalfton

If you have played the game, you know that Tommy is integral part of the story after that scene. He kickstarts the epilogue. Without him, there is no epilogue and no ending of the game.

You want them to change the entire storyline of the game (and make one story/timeline without Tommy, animate it, do the mo-cops, write the dialogues, QA it, optimize it, etc.) just in case if someone finds this glitch (which took one year to find)?

Not sure if that qualifies as a "little bit of extra effort"

That's not what I said. I said the "little bit of extra effort to kill him", not the extra work the devs would have to do.

It should be possible to kill him anyways, if you are a good enough shot or quick enough. How about rewarding skilled players.

And yeah he may be pivotal to the epilogue, but that's why I said have a Scenario A and Scenario B.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Never disliked a character this much in a game before. Def skipping TLOU3 if they ever plan to make one.
The fact that you are so emotionally affected over a video game character to ignore everything else good about the game is concerning. You need to possibly re-evaluate your life lol

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So this whole time, only this guy just now found out you can kill him. I saw the video, it didn't look that uber skillful. Nobody else could do the same in a year?

Top Bottom