• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Battle Royale mode?

So this has basically became it's own stand alone mp game set in the world of TLOU?

Because wtf is taking so long.

I thought this was just an MP add on like the original, seems like this is becoming their own personal COD Warzone.

Imagine a coop base manager mode where you have to gather items, protect the base, go out on expeditions and survive hordes of enemies, while having to decide the fate of npcs that have interesting personalities and stories... AKA State of Decay with TLU budget. They could even add a mode where the player and a group go on expeditions and have other groups of players with the same objectives, a pvpve mode...

Nah too hard.

A fucking br it is!

:messenger_anxious:
So just get State of fucking Decay then

If it has to work on a base ps4... what kind of resolution fps will it be capable of ? It's better off looking ugly and netting 60fps.
60FPS on Crapguar? Dream on.
cfMXDnm.gif

Ryu Kaiba

This has the potential to be incredible, don't care what anyone thinks.

I've wanted something like this from MGS or The last of Us for a long time.
A well done stealth focused battle royal and set in this world sounds super fun and engaging.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
why so surprise?
LOU2 faction is a multiplayer game, PVP, team PVP, survival or BR is going to be the game mode.

TimFL

Imagine a coop base manager mode where you have to gather items, protect the base, go out on expeditions and survive hordes of enemies, while having to decide the fate of npcs that have interesting personalities and stories... AKA State of Decay with TLU budget. They could even add a mode where the player and a group go on expeditions and have other groups of players with the same objectives, a pvpve mode...

Nah too hard.

A fucking br it is!

This. Hope they go the coop route with this instead of having a lame ass BR. TLoU2 has some of the best / most immersive gameplay setup that would work great in a coop survival environment with simulation elements.

Orpheum

Well fuck me i'd actually play that. Fighting Infected and players at the same time sounds tense and fun as hell

ksdixon

Just imagine having to survive against other human players AND infected in an open world, battle royal style, being able to direct infected toward your enemies making noises in their direction and enjoying the view of your camper enemies being chased and devoured, just like in single player tlou2 campaign, glorious lol
Yeah... people have been outlining that scenario for MP since the PS3 original. Even before the Left Behind DLC came out and had the first instance of enemy human AI vs infected AI interacting in the same room. 2013! The fact that it's taken Sony/ND so long to move on this, after the BR craze, is quite frankly disgusting.

ksdixon

Sony will never do free to play games from 1st party. Paid multiplayer games require PS Plus, but FTP do not. And they want to sell Plus subs.

Its gonna be like Ghost of Tsushima. The Last of Us Part II Director's Cut will be $60 PS4 / $70 PS5 and will include The Last of Us Factions multiplayer. It'll be the same $20 or $30 upgrade fee from the original PS4 game. Then TLOU Factions will also be sold standalone for $20. Just like GoT Legends is going to be starting in September.

Both TLOU2 and Ghost got free 60 Hz BC PS5 patches. They didn't charge for Ghost's Legends cause they had no idea if anyone would pay for it. Best way to find out was to drop it randomly for free to ensure people try it. And its a limited PvE mode. Where as Sony know they can charge $20 for the singleplayer DLC.

With Factions, Sony know they can charge $20+ for it. And they will. It will effectively be the "new content" that Herman Hulst said all their Director's Cut releases will have. And it lets them create and sell a native PS5 version.
I believe this is Sony's plan too. I'll buy the MP game, and even spend some money on cosmetic bits. I won't repurchase/upgrade the story component of the game unless I am literally forced-to to access the MP

ksdixon

Is there a horde of clickers and spores closing in from the outside?
Spores seems the easy choice to create an encoraching wall. Maybe the winner of the game has a cutscene where they whip-out a gas mask and 'survive the full enclosure of spores'. I hope if they go this route, they do have the infected/clickers/bloaters running free in the middle of 4v4 engagements, sound would play a huge part of trying to re-direct infected towards opponents rather than yourself. Though tbh, they're gonna have to be buffed. Or else both teams would just light up the Bloater with mollies for days and the whole infected angle would seem somewhat pointless.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah see it's become so ridiculous now that you just sound stupid and no one cares about comments like this. Move on mate.

The amount of reactions and direct responses to my post including your own ironically seem to disprove your point. Have you tried moving on?

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Sound cool. Not for me though. Makes me wonder when we'll actually see a Battle Royale game adaptation. High schoolers off'ing each other too sensitive a topic maybe.. Hah!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hey, at least you got your long awaited TLoU2 MP, I hope golf clubs will be included

Nah too hard.

A fucking br it is!

OT: State of Decay would actually be good game, if it wasn't jank times million.

Aion002

Hey, at least you got your long awaited TLoU2 MP, I hope golf clubs will be included

OT: State of Decay would actually be good game, if it wasn't jank times million.
It is a good game. But it's alone... There's just no competition... And I want more.

I am hoping that now that MS owns the studio they will give them enough money to make a more polished experience.

TLU and Days Gone are just perfect for something similar to SoD approach and with competition SoD would have even more reasons to improve. Win/Win situation.

Last edited:

drezz

I think it will be a factions based MP with zombies in the middle. I think it won't be a classic BR game mode.
Maybe you can return after death as a infected?
Maybe the "Ring" can be the spores?
Get a kill and recive 100% of what ever "lossed" basebuilding items you had on your lad when you died.
Final circle has potential to have shit ton's of infected roaming about.
Maybe if you get a kill you "evolve" or next respawn you get to be bigger badder infected?
Clicker having listenmode 24/7 and can be blind as a bat?
Imagine player controlled clickers just going HAM while roaming. Would be a sight.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The amount of reactions and direct responses to my post including your own ironically seem to disprove your point. Have you tried moving on?
No, the people who should move on are the ones who have no interest in the series are only posting in threads just to complain.

You don't have to, but it just shows how over-emotional some gamers are more than a year later. It looks pretty sad, to be honest.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
No, the people who should move on are the ones who have no interest in the series are only posting in threads just to complain.

You don't have to, but it just shows how over-emotional some gamers are more than a year later. It looks pretty sad, to be honest.
Perhaps you should try distancing yourself from looking at people not liking a title as a personal attack, as if it makes your opinion on the title lesser some how. Now that's what is truly sad.

I personally think a game I put down and thought "hey this was shit" matches perfectly with the most generic flavour of the year attempt to cash grab multiplayer experience in an already oversaturated market.

Really nailing that "subverting expectations" from the existing factions fanbase, just like the single player subverted my expectation of it being game of the year.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Perhaps you should try distancing yourself from looking at people not liking a title as a personal attack, as if makes your opinion on the title lesser some how. Now that's what is truly sad.

We don't see it as a personal attack against the title. We're looking at the mental state of some gamers who still can't seem to move on. There are people who didn't like the game who come in the threads and tell you guys the exact same thing.

You're justifying your actions.

But, you can complain but it's funny that you don't understand that people aren't looking at it as a personal attack against the game, they're looking at your overall emotional behavior towards a video game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
We're getting dangerously close to the following timeline for some...

The Last of Us sells 25 million copies.
The Last of Us II sells 9 million copies.
The Last of Us BR generates 40 million copies worth of revenue.
Naughty Dog becomes a multiplayer centric developer.

I think that's why people are weary of a BR mode.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You're justifying your actions.
Literally your entire post, maybe next time il start saying people who enjoy the last of us 2 of mentally unstable but then I'd feel like a dick and also unable to look hard at myself in the mirror.

Let's not try to pretend to be concerned about other's mental health by insinuating there unstable for having a differing opinion, move on ya?

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Literally your entire post, maybe next time il start saying people who enjoy the last of us 2 of mentally unstable but then I'd feel like a dick and also unable to look hard at myself in the mirror.

There's a big difference between talking about a game as it relates to a topic versus someone showing up in every single thread looking to troll. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Let's not try to pretend to be concerned about other's mental health by insinuating there unstable for having a differing opinion, move on ya?

Oh, people aren't looking at you with actual concern. lol

Do you honestly think people aren't going to give a person a weird look if they're still complaining more than a year later? If people who love and hate the game are telling you guys to move on, then that should let you know it's not about having a different opinion about the game.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
We're getting dangerously close to the following timeline for some...

The Last of Us sells 25 million copies.
The Last of Us II sells 9 million copies.
The Last of Us BR generates 40 million copies worth of revenue.
Naughty Dog becomes a multiplayer centric developer.

I think that's why people are weary of a BR mode.

It's really hard to say.

If the game generates a lot of revenue and they wanted to make TLOU Part II after their new IP, Sony might tell them to either include it with TLOU Part III or shorten the development cycle of it and focus more on the multiplayer.

If anything, I just really hope this is very successful and they're able to expand over 6+ years while the main team is focusing on single-player titles.

I already finished 1 and 2... Hopefully SoD 3 will have a bigger budget.

I would love to see ND approach to something similar... Competition is good.
I liked 1 and spent hours on that. But yeah I get your point. Expanding the survival aspect of Last Of Us game world would be awesome and I love base building mechanics in such games.
It would be good to be able to join a camp of survivors and go out on multiplayer runs to scavenge for supplies etc. but I don't think Naughty Dog would want to turn into an open world game developer. They'll most likely stick to their single player big blockbuster story driven games which they're very good at.

kyliethicc

I liked 1 and spent hours on that. But yeah I get your point. Expanding the survival aspect of Last Of Us game world would be awesome and I love base building mechanics in such games.
It would be good to be able to join a camp of survivors and go out on multiplayer runs to scavenge for supplies etc. but I don't think Naughty Dog would want to turn into an open world game developer. They'll most likely stick to their single player big blockbuster story driven games which they're very good at.
Well Naughty Dog had open world ideas in development when they began Part 2. Originally Seattle and Jackson were going to be big open maps, with the Jackson settlement and the Seattle theater being used as hubs for lots of missions. It would have been sorta like God of War's Lake of Nine hub world. Head out, come back, head out again, etc. Open world basically. They cut it and went linear for better story focus.

But they said they may want to use those ideas someday. Its possible they could make a PvE mode that lets like 2-4 players go out from a base together and hunt infected. But idk how likely it is. It'll probably be PvP focused primarily. But Troy Baker himself even said he wants an open world multiplayer The Last of Us game to just go hunt clickers with friends, so who knows.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

No one says you can't dislike the game, if you don't like the game then that's fine.

But to come into every LOU2 related thread and take pot shots and make troll comments about the single player which people have moved on from and not even discussing in this thread is immature behaviour. This has nothing to do with defending the game, it has to do with people like yourself trying to derail a thread with unproductive immature comments not even relating to the discussion.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
No one says you can't dislike the game, if you don't like the game then that's fine.

But to come into every LOU2 related thread and take pot shots and make troll comments about the single player which people have moved on from and not even discussing in this thread is immature behaviour. This has nothing to do with defending the game, it has to do with people like yourself trying to derail a thread with unproductive immature comments not even relating to
This would be a really good argument if they where not from the same team and the same game. A disapointing single player followed by an announcement that the multiplayer will be trend chasing, seems like a pretty easy thing to take a snide snipe at how those two fit perfectly together.

I feel flattered that you went into my comment history to track down every single TLoU2 thread and also find that posted in every single one, except if didn't I only posted in some, and unsurprisingly I said the game sucked since they happened to be about the singleplayer, much like how certain people are on a quest to take jabs at people and get upset everytime someone makes fun of a product, despite apparently "moving on"

Last edited:
Top Bottom