• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2 Battle Royale mode?

M.W.

Apparently it's been datamined.

The locations, which include Adler Park, Camallito and Port of Camallito, suggest it would be made up of several single player areas merged together to create a map large enough to host a Battle Royale mode, with points of interest including Motel, Gas Station and more.

"I didn't mention this in the video, but in the development footage, there's a compass and a player count that's normally only used in battle royale," wrote Speclizer in a pinned commentary accompanying the video. "Oh, and there's also an emote wheel."

MaKTaiL

I agree that it sounds almost perfect for the game, it follows the trend of being an utter disappointment.
duck dynasty hashtag GIF

kyliethicc

Apparently it's been datamined.

The locations, which include Adler Park, Camallito and Port of Camallito, suggest it would be made up of several single player areas merged together to create a map large enough to host a Battle Royale mode, with points of interest including Motel, Gas Station and more.

"I didn't mention this in the video, but in the development footage, there's a compass and a player count that's normally only used in battle royale," wrote Speclizer in a pinned commentary accompanying the video. "Oh, and there's also an emote wheel."

That video gets the motel wrong. There's a motel in Seattle Ellie goes past. That map isn't referencing anything from Jackson, its Seattle. The motel and gas station are both part of the Capitol Hill area from day 1. The singleplayer game of Part 2 was originally going to have a large open world map design with a hub world, like God of War's lake of nine. They scrapped that idea early in development. The map could be left over from that, or it could indicate a larger map possibly for the online modes. Idk.

They're not gonna combined areas from Jackson Wyoming and Seattle Washington into a single map lol. But sure they could possibly make a big map for a mp mode using of a bunch of the Seattle areas. Not sure how it would work on PS4 tho if it would be much larger than the singleplayer areas. Loading/unloading it all as the player travels around could be tricky with the PS4's HDD. Easier to do with a linear singleplayer story game, versus doing it with online mp and random player movement all over. But Warzone's map is huge so idk, its possible.

For reference (ignore the arrows, these pics are from a collectibles guide):

Motel

Ij5ZL7F.jpg

Gas Station

kfbDkeY.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I hate battle royale games.
But this legit sounds interesting to me.

I dont know if I want 100 players or whatever, but just give us like 20 players on the map.
Maybe some PvE enemies scattered on the map and im good.

<---- Didnt watch the video.

skit_data

I never played the original Factions in TLoU but I’ll give this a spin if it feels fresh enough, since its taking so long to finish I assume it will be pretty good.

Arsic

If it has to work on a base ps4... what kind of resolution fps will it be capable of ? It's better off looking ugly and netting 60fps.

Certinty

Not a fan of BR games but I would give it a go just purely based on how good the shooting mechanics are in the game.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I see the pendulum swinging away from BR with the general malaise towards them and the re-emergence of Halo and Battelfield this fall.

Factions should stick to small, intense, close quarters, strategic play.

Companies don't look to forums like NeoGAF to inform their development roadmaps.

They look at Steamcharts, XBox Live Most played, and Most popular PSN titles. They look at revenue earned. They look at engagement.

First generation Battle Royale games still top those charts. The genre is still at the Doom / Wolfenstein 3D phase. Soon we'll see the genre evolve into Quake / Unreal Tournament.

I think it's somewhat obvious at this point that Naughty Dog made a strong pivot with its multiplayer in 2018 after witnessing PUBG and Fortnite go supernova.

Markio128

As much as I love TLOU games (and I did enjoy the multiplayer aspect) they are never going to spawn a massively popular online component because the premise is far too grim and violent to attract a large audience. Sony really need to look at why some of the biggest multiplayer games are so popular. They need to be colourful, creative and fun.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
As much as I love TLOU games (and I did enjoy the multiplayer aspect) they are never going to spawn a massively popular online component because the premise is far too grim and violent to attract a large audience. Sony really need to look at why some of the biggest multiplayer games are so popular. They need to be colourful, creative and fun.

Multiplayer games are popular because they execute on interesting mechanics.

No one is playing this game, which came out 3 months ago...

F24EBD54B7A1B4897ED30B5A72ABCF10402B429D

While this game, which came out 6 years ago, is the 9th most played game on Steam at the moment...

ForkedHalfCrocodile-size_restricted.gif

I suspect Naughty Dog and The Last of Us IP have the potential to combine for a really popular multiplayer game that appeals to gamers 14 and older, of which there are many.

anthony2690

Banned
I feel like this is an area Sony hasn't suceeded in yet, a long running multiplayer game with monetisation and long standing support.

Wonder if this will be a free to play stand alone install to give it a real chance to take off.

Otherwise if it's an update to tlou2 I see it failing to take off.

EruditeHobo

I hate battle royale games.
But this legit sounds interesting to me.

I dont know if I want 100 players or whatever, but just give us like 20 players on the map.
Maybe some PvE enemies scattered on the map and im good.

<---- Didnt watch the video.

Couldn't agree more... all of this, agreed.

If it turns into having to have teammates, that would be too bad. Rather it be true 1 on 1.

Aion002

Imagine a coop base manager mode where you have to gather items, protect the base, go out on expeditions and survive hordes of enemies, while having to decide the fate of npcs that have interesting personalities and stories... AKA State of Decay with TLU budget. They could even add a mode where the player and a group go on expeditions and have other groups of players with the same objectives, a pvpve mode...

Nah too hard.

A fucking br it is!

:messenger_anxious:

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Btw this might as well be just prototype trash with zero significance to what they're doing now. Must have had all kinds of those before the decision to go big later

kyliethicc

Btw this might as well be just prototype trash with zero significance to what they're doing now. Must have had all kinds of those before the decision to go big later
Yup. The singleplayer game itself was originally going to be open world with hub worlds (like God of War's lake.)

That map could have just been a unused asset from the singleplayer.

ZehDon

Not a good move for the series, if its true. To me, it would feel like cannibalising their IP for a shot at a BR-cash cow. While the gameplay in theory matches the mood of the campaigns, the BR stage is far too goofy by necessity. A dark, bloody, gritty, realistic BR targeted at the R+18 crowd is going to have a much smaller potential market because its going to have a lot less room to keep things interesting while staying in character. It might be a fun distraction for a round or two, but how long will people come back for something fairly limited in tone? And then, if they break tone to spice up the gameplay, they'll never get the original tone back. I think they'd be better off sticking to the small scale clashes of the original.

Last edited:
Just imagine having to survive against other human players AND infected in an open world, battle royal style, being able to direct infected toward your enemies making noises in their direction and enjoying the view of your camper enemies being chased and devoured, just like in single player tlou2 campaign, glorious lol
Don't like br aside from warzone that I love, but this...holy fucking shit

Last edited:

farmerboy

Whatever it is, it was removed from TLOU2 because the scope and vision for the game demanded it was released as a stand alone product.

I've no doubt it will be quite a large offering with more than just a BR mode.

Keihart

It's been obvious that the best fit for the multiplayer to evolve was going into the BR mode, the big disappointment would be that it isn't going that route.
The mechanics already do almost everything for the genre better than any game in the genre out.

yurinka

I think it will be a factions based MP with zombies in the middle. I think it won't be a classic BR game mode.

So the question is….are they going to release it for free like the original Lou or are they going to give us the Director$ cut edition and charge a premium

kyliethicc

Hope its free2play

all that matters to me right now with this game, not buying the game back

So the question is….are they going to release it for free like the original Lou or are they going to give us the Director$ cut edition and charge a premium

not a single chance it’s free

Sony will never do free to play games from 1st party. Paid multiplayer games require PS Plus, but FTP do not. And they want to sell Plus subs.

Its gonna be like Ghost of Tsushima. The Last of Us Part II Director's Cut will be $60 PS4 / $70 PS5 and will include The Last of Us Factions multiplayer. It'll be the same $20 or $30 upgrade fee from the original PS4 game. Then TLOU Factions will also be sold standalone for $20. Just like GoT Legends is going to be starting in September.

Both TLOU2 and Ghost got free 60 Hz BC PS5 patches. They didn't charge for Ghost's Legends cause they had no idea if anyone would pay for it. Best way to find out was to drop it randomly for free to ensure people try it. And its a limited PvE mode. Where as Sony know they can charge $20 for the singleplayer DLC.

With Factions, Sony know they can charge $20+ for it. And they will. It will effectively be the "new content" that Herman Hulst said all their Director's Cut releases will have. And it lets them create and sell a native PS5 version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom