• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us 2’s Jeffrey Pierce Says the HBO Series’ Scripts Are “Breathtaking” and the Best He’s Seen

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Talking on a podcast with Katie and Lily K from ‘To All The Films We Judged Before‘, Pierce gladly discussed how he felt “over the moon” to be included in the TV show. Pierce stated that he read a couple of the scripts so far and that they are “breathing”.

“Every sort of piece of tone and texture of the game exists in the writing and then it’s 100 times more because you get to do so much more” Pierce continues, ” I think they are the best scripts I’ve ever seen in terms of the level of detail, the level of texture, the capturing of the essence of Joel and Ellie and all of the other characters. It is going to be phenomenal”.

XxRoG8z.gif

I wonder how much ownership HBO has on the TV IP. I know the games sold like crazy, but that much per episode is a heavy investment. Unless Sony believes in the project so much. They took all the risk.

Breaking Bad, AMC has control. The Boys, Amazon has control. Now it seems HBO will have a control of TLoU. Will Netflix have control of Spiderverse series?

SLB1904

Banned
I wonder how much ownership HBO has on the TV IP. I know the games sold like crazy, but that much per episode is a heavy investment. Unless Sony believes in the project so much. They took all the risk.

Breaking Bad, AMC has control. The Boys, Amazon has control. Now it seems HBO will have a control of TLoU. Will Netflix have control of Spiderverse series?
Come on son

I'm not buying into the hype this time. The last two games that made references to "Breath" ended up disappointing me. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me for a third time and I should turn in my gamer card and retire.

The first and second times:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Cyberpunk 2077 *You're Breathtaking"

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Last edited:

A.Romero

It's going to be great TV.

The source material was pretty good considering it's a game. It will translate great to TV.

Godot25

Banned
I know primary reason is money but I still don't understand the point of making TV series with exact story (albeit extended) as the first game...

...so then I can play the same story again when Naughty Dog will release rumored remake of first game...

But whatever. This TV series is clearly targeted to other people, not me as a player of a first game.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
oh great another thread for haters to talk about a game they hate and wont fuck up about... games i hate.. i dont fucking talking about them...

Toots

Gold Member
The only thing i hate about that situation is the shape of Neil Druckman's head.
And yes i hate it because i don't understand it and that makes me scared of it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
oh great another thread for haters to talk about a game they hate and wont fuck up about... games i hate.. i dont fucking talking about them...
Take a look in the mirror mate. The vast majority of comments in TLOU2 threads are fanboys like yourself still crying about the "haters" who have long since moved on because you physically can't take that some folks simply didn't love the game like you did.

Back to the topic at hand:
Meh. I will wait to see reviews before I watch. HBO can go one of two ways: Too much gratuitous violence and sex, or a have decent show. If its based on the first game, there is a decent chance that it can be watchable. Though I still stand by that they should have made a completely unique story instead of trying to just repeat what was already done.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
I'm not buying into the hype this time. The last two games that made references to "Breath" ended up disappointing me. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me for a third time and I should turn in my gamer card and retire.

The first and second times:
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Cyberpunk 2077 *You're Breathtaking"

First thing I thought of as well:

Animated GIF

It was breathtaking alright, just not in the way we all hoped.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Can anybody list a top 5 screen adaptations off games? Is that even possible to list?

Would you consider TV Shows/Netflix stuff to be Screen Adaptations? Then I would say something like
CastleVania
Silent Hill
Sonic the Hedgehog (Movie)
Super Mario Super Show
Sonic SATAM

that is really it.

If we also count anime, then there is a whole host of fantastic anime based on games.

This is news? Ask literally any actor about the project they're working on and they'll say the same thing. They're not going to say "nah this script sucks but I need money"

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Coached promotional gushing bilge like this never fills me with much positivity.

It’s like they’re already trying to get out ahead of it.

Shmunter

Would you consider TV Shows/Netflix stuff to be Screen Adaptations? Then I would say something like
CastleVania
Silent Hill
Sonic the Hedgehog (Movie)
Super Mario Super Show
Sonic SATAM

that is really it.

If we also count anime, then there is a whole host of fantastic anime based on games.
Actuall, yes I recall Silent Hill. Rather enjoyed it. The second one was disappointing.

Sonic movie was good for target audience, the rest I’m not familiar with.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Actuall, yes I recall Silent Hill. Rather enjoyed it. The second one was disappointing.

Sonic movie was good for target audience, the rest I’m not familiar with.
The others are all TV shows. Sonic SATAM( Saturday Morning) and Super Mario Super Show are both old 80/90s cartoons based on the games. Castlevania is the Netflix adaptation that has gone on for 3? 4? seasons now. Pretty great, all told. Like the one good thing Netflix has managed to do.

cormack12

Gold Member
We'll see, if it's on par with the Witcher then that's fine. Expecting a lot of ups and down in the quality as like most stuff that's taken from video games. Isn't it still like a year out?

Which will suck harder, this pile of shit or the botched abortion they’re slapping the Halo brand on? Why would anyone waste time watching this when the game exists? What will it add that the game didn’t cover?

TV has been shit-tier for over twenty years. Even when something starts alright they end up fucking it up by the end.

I expect mediocrity but I’m hoping it’s all out terrible.

Top Bottom