• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Ninja reacts to Naruto

GreyHorace

No no. I'm not talking about the classic Commodore 64 game.

last_ninja_02.jpg

I'm talking about this guy:

His name is Jinichi Kawakami, and he claims to be last master of the Koga family style of Ninjutsu. As he says in the video, he was trained by an old man in his hometown when he was a child. Kawakami states that a lot of the ninja techniques have to be instilled in childhood, as it is much harder to teach them to adults. Some interesting facts popped up during the interview:

- Shuriken are not a ninja weapon as popular culture would lead you to believe. They're actually a weapon developed by samurai, and in his opinion, impractical in a real fight.
- His favorite weapon is the sickle, as it's a farming tool and you can carry it around without drawing suspicion.
- He can dislocate his shoulder at will, a tactic used to claim compensation from passerby he bumps into. It's a technique that one has to develop from childhood though which drives home his point that the art must be taught to new disciples at a very young age.

There are so much more interesting facts in the video that you should give it a watch. But recently Asian Boss did another video with him. This time they had him react to clips of Naruto, and asked how authentic the ninjutsu was in the anime.

Surprisingly he actually liked what he saw of the show, even though the ninja arts used in it were exaggerated for effect. Not to spoil the rest of the video, but some interesting facts again:

- The ninja run the characters do is real. Kawakami says it's the real technique that shinobi employed during their missions in order to preserve their stamina. Again though, it's exaggerated for dramatic effect.
- He's 70 years old, but has a 33 year old wife and a 4 year old daughter. Obviously he's mastered some secret jutsu to attract women half his age and keep himself looking young. Bastard.

Pretty interesting stuff regarding the real history of ninja. I've long been curious as to what the reality was with these shadow warriors of feudal Japan without all the fantasy that Japanese and Western media have conjured up regarding them.

Top Bottom