• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Guardian Film Adaptation In Development At Sony

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

It seems Sony Pictures is looking to develop a new feature film based on one of its previous games. According to insider Daniel Richtman, the studio is developing a film adaptation of The Last Guardian.

Based on the video games, it follows an orphan who finds a magical stone and then befriends a winged monster, as they battle against some shadow soldiers and ultimately free lots of other children that have been taken against their will. Released in 2016, The Last Guardian is a third-person perspective game that combines elements from both the action-adventure and puzzle gaming-genres.

The project is currently looking to cast four key roles, including Boy and his winged monster Tree. For Boy, the studio is searching for a 12-year-old to play the slight but brave orphan who befriends Tree. Tree is a winged monster – called a Trico – who kidnaps and swallows Boy only to, later on, become friends as they journey together.

In addition to Boy and Tree are Ariana and Ueda, a husband and wife who are searching for their missing daughter Mono. Sony Pictures are looking to cast a 27-year-old actress and a 30-39-year-old actor in the respective roles. The two will play a supporting role in the film as they travel with Boy and Tree.

The Last Guardian Is currently being written by Max Borenstein, who penned the screenplay for Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island. Kevin Misher will serve as producer under the Misher Films production company.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Well... Sony and their video game movie adaptions don't have the best track record so far. The Uncharted movie has yet to get off the ground. And while I :messenger_heart: the Last Guardian, I feel making a film with more than one human character will diminish the impact of the original story.

The Last Guardian is all about a boy and his animal. It's a classic "boy and his dog" story. It's very poignant and impactful because the boy is alone with only Trico... his faithful companion. That is what made the game so great!

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
AEPt.gif

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It might be an interesting film but The Last Guardian is my least favourite Sony Exclusive ever. It's the only exclusive I've ever sold before I finished it.

Fbh

I think it could work.... in theory.

But I only see it as an animated movie. Some kid awkwardly acting to some non existent giant CGI creature walking through a CGI world sounds like it would suck.

Last edited:

hussar16

I remmebr the same with shadow of collusus ,great premise but stuck in limbo, directors don't understand that these movies would have to be emotional and interesting not action flicks

To me the great thing about The Last Guardian is how you as the player interact with Trico, I don't know hows that gonna work as a movie.
Castaway managed to get people attached to a fucking volleyball with a face painted on it.

Pretty sure they can handle developing emotional attachment to an impossibly cute giant catdogthing.

Shin

Banned
Could make a good/great movie if they can nail the tearjerking and/or storytelling aspect of it.
I haven't played the game yet but it seems to hit an emotional string even from the trailers I've seen (since it's first showing).

Wonder if sceptics have seen The Neverending Story.
Exactly.

Getting people to fall in love with cute animals in film is extremely common. In a sense, animals are much easier to get people to care about than people. People can talk, and that tends to get in the way of making them likeable.

Last edited:

Keihart

IF SONIC was good, anything is possible.
It is a gamble, but it's not 0% success rate as it used to be.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Castaway managed to get people attached to a fucking volleyball with a face painted on it.

Pretty sure they can handle developing emotional attachment to an impossibly cute giant catdogthing.
We already have bunch of movies about people getting attach to animal, monster or even giant robot. The thing makes The Last Guardian such a unique game is the player’s interaction with Trico. It’s like trying to make movie of Shadow of the Colossus. I’m sure Hollywood can make a movie out of it with bunch CGI Colossus fights Michael Bay style to make the movie have more mass appeal, but it’s not really gonna be interesting to watch.

Andodalf

Banned
Can’t wait to watch the triple feature with The last of us and Uncharted. I guess I’ll just have to watch the Spielberg Halo while I wait.

Yeah I have no confidence in any video game movie or show to exist, and then even less for it to be good.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
More business unit synergy would be great for Sony. So far adapting their games to film has fallen short of expectations.
They couldn't be bothered to produce the maligned Ratchet & Clank movie at their own studio, because... (???). Others like the Wild Arms and Ape Escape shows are pretty much forgotten.

Atrus

Gold Member
They could easily make Studio Ghibli animated films out of Ueda games but I'm not so sure about the results from live action films. There aren't many people to interact with, not a lot of dialogue, and the art direction carries a lot of the atmospheric but otherwise silent backdrop. This makes them hard to translate with real people involved, which is why there's suddenly 2 adults looking for their child in the live action description.

Shadow of the Collosus could probably be done if you chop the Collosi down to about 6 or 7 (Gaius, Avion, Hydrus, Basaran, Celosia, Phalanx, and Malus) gave a backstory between Wander and Mono..... wait a minute, the missing girl in the Last Guardian film is also called Mono? Are they trying to set up SotC?

fvng

oh boy, not to be mean but the prior writing credits of of Max Borenstein doesn't inspire confidence

sublimit

Banned
Wonder if sceptics have seen The Neverending Story.
Yes i have seen it. Some parts of it had really stuck in my mind as a kid.

I still don't want to see a Last Guardian movie.

One was designed to be watched/experienced passively the other was designed to be played/experienced interactively.

Psykodad

Banned
Yes i have seen it. Some parts of it had really stuck in my mind as a kid.

I still don't want to see a Last Guardian movie.

One was designed to be watched/experienced passively the other was designed to be played/experienced interactively.
You can just not watch it though.

Well... Atleast you don't have to put up with the stupid AI. I legit stopped playing and watched the last hour of the game on YouTube because the AI wouldn't do what it was meant to.

For the record I enjoyed the game but tricko wouldn't do what he was meant to consistently. To the point I thought I was doing things wrong, youtubing the solution and finding out I was doing the right thing just the AI wasn't kicking in for whatever reason.

I think a movie of it actually makes a lot of sense. I'd watch it day 1!

Top Bottom