• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The lack of PS5 Patches is really upsetting me at this point

FrankWza

tzTR5DU.jpg

spawn

Bro you got Demon's souls.
You got Miles Morales.
You just got Returnal.
Ratchet and Clank coming in June.

Xbox got ummm........ uhh.......

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Old games you say?
giphy-7.gif

Maybe it has something to do with this.

Bro you got Demon's souls.
You got Miles Morales.
You just got Returnal.
Ratchet and Clank coming in June.

Xbox got ummm........ uhh.......

You really outplayed yourself regarding bc and old games on consoles.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It's a super lame excuse to say they can't do it because they are making new games, 15 billion in profit and they can't hire a a couple dozen people to get this done? At least a game like the last if us II might even get increased sales.

That said, I am wishing for things like this but I actually now have zero expectation from sony or ms, I think of every game enhanced as a nice bonus. Like metro coming soon.....

Last edited:
What’s to remember if you have nothing to back up that claim?
Lol what? Don't you remember Sony wasn't planning on having BC? They added it and announced it at the last minute because they got blindsided by Microsoft, that's why it sucks. How do you think we were going to play those PS4 games without BC? Developers were gonna have to make a PS5 version and charge you for it.

EA is doing it for EA Play. MS is doing it for Game Pass. Both require a plethora of games to keep subscribers happy. Re-energizing old titles with upgraded frames or resolution is a quick way to keep some gamers interested and builds social media hype.

Sony is focusing on people buying a PS5, not a subscription. For that they need new games for consumers to justify the cost of a new console. And they are also patching some games to work better on PS5 (GoT, Days Gone, God of War, etc) just not at the level MS is doing.

Personally I'd love to see Sony invest more but I can totally see why they aren't. Not much ROI.
And what do you think us, PS5 owners, have been playing for the last six months? Yes, I know, it's our fault for buying a system with no games.

That's not that simple how you think. It requires a notable investment and probably for Sony is not worth it. But I wouldn't exclude they will do something in the future considered how aggressive MS is became in this front
Notable investment? For uncapping a frame rate? Lmao.

The reason they don't do it is because fuck you. They wanted to charge for this updates, that's why there wasn't any BC planned. They had to add it at the last minute because Microsoft forced their hand.

Their plan was to release updates to those games and charge you for the PS5 version. Now that they know they can't do that there's no interest.

JaksGhost

Lol what? Don't you remember Sony wasn't planning on having BC? They added it and announced it at the last minute because they got blindsided by Microsoft, that's why it sucks. How do you think we were going to play those PS4 games without BC? Developers were gonna have to make a PS5 version and charge you for it.
What is this revisionist history shit 😂I remember watching a key note where they revealed the PS5 specs and Cerny talked about the system having BC. I don’t know where you get your news but you need to cut off your sources.

Last edited:

Burger

Sony fucked up.

No games apart from cross gen (Ass Creed, Watchdogs, COD etc) got true PS5 versions (and even then they don't smell like PS5 games). Devs cannot just release a 'PS5' patch, because it needs to be a new title ID, with all the bullshit that goes along with it. Save games are not transferable between title ids etc (see Like A Dragon). So devs opt for this middle tier 'PS4 Boost' mode.

Except when they can't be fucked, like with Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

NickFire

It's a super lame excuse to say they can't do it because they are making new games, 15 billion in profit and they can't hire a a couple dozen people to get this done? At least a game like the last if us II might even get increased sales.

That said, I am wishing for things like this but I actually now have zero expectation from sony or ms, I think of every game enhanced as a nice bonus. Like metro coming soon.....
It might be a lame excuse, but it also may be spot on accurate. Who can we really compare them to, other than the company without any notable next gen games yet?

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
It might be a lame excuse, but it also may be spot on accurate. Who can we really compare them to, other than the company without any notable next gen games yet?

You don't need to compare them to anyone, they have the money and resources to do both regardless of what any competition is doing.
They simply choose not to.

If you really want to still compare, you can bet the farm that ms and third party companies that are doing updates aren't pulling the main teams off the new games to do patching.....

i love seeing console owners being so happy with 60fps. bet you can't go back to 30fps now!

i can't go back to 60fps after playing games at 165fps :messenger_smiling_hearts:. 60fps is like the absolutely bare minimum. if my FPS goes below 90fps it pisses me off. the sweetspot is 90-120fps :messenger_ok: 120-165fps is god tier :messenger_horns:
Keep dreaming about those console ports you'll get when they are no longer new. I'm sure they feel just as fresh at 165fps years after their release when everyone has moved on years ago.

Where the hodl at?

vkbest

Sony is not going to enabled option to uncap framerates. People though MS was doing and finished as curated content.

Why not? First because can broke much games, that mean users angry and more calls to support. Second because modify the execution of code with no explicit permission from developers it’s a bad idea. Imagine Sony letting playing RDR2 at 60fps, what would think Rockstar that want to sell you a future remaster?

Pull n Pray

Banned
No, it's a lame excuse. You don't have to take people off game development projects to work on back compat. You just hire new people. But in fairness to Sony, what they are doing only seems inadequate when compared to what Microsoft is doing.

LuciferSatan

Neo Member
It has it running by default. It does the same thing the PS4 pro boost mode does.

No point why? It helps games run at a better frame rate. Some games like Just Cause 3 had unstable frame rates and this would help it stay locked. And others with dynamic frame rates upto 60 can be a stable 60 too. That's the point of boost mode.
Games need to 60 FPS minimum. Especially the old games. They just play better at that frame rate. Sony has some amazing games, and it's a shame that many of them run like arse. I remember playing Uncharted 4 at 30 and the poor frame rate gave me a headache, and I had to leave the game in the middle because of it. I hope they rectify it.

Kagey K

Banned
In all fairness one leads to sales the other leads to... the 10 people still playing those games today to have a better experience?
Like when the Cod games went bc and broke into the top 10 for NDP on those months?

If that isn't a record of sales? What is?

LMJ

Sony fucked up.

No games apart from cross gen (Ass Creed, Watchdogs, COD etc) got true PS5 versions (and even then they don't smell like PS5 games). Devs cannot just release a 'PS5' patch, because it needs to be a new title ID, with all the bullshit that goes along with it. Save games are not transferable between title ids etc (see Like A Dragon). So devs opt for this middle tier 'PS4 Boost' mode.

Except when they can't be fucked, like with Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Yup named it...

What it really boils down to is philosophy, this generation both MS and Sony had the same philosophy to support BC almost blanket wide from last gen (mainly because Sony couldn't allow MS to have that feather in their cap alone again) and they have both done a great job on that front. The baseline of the BC is the Pro and the X respectfully, which means the XseX/S should have a slight advantage, but there is one thing Sony didn't count on and it's the main reason Sony is lagging behind so bad (thus far, I imagine this will change a bit come native XseX and V games)

What is that thing you ask?

LEGACY SUPPORT

Microsoft have been phenomenal with this while Sony have rested on their laurels, and no Jim alone isn't responsible as it started well before he was in charge.

PERSONAL RANT BELOW feel free to skip

When you think of SuperSmash Bros a few things enter your mind, but one of them is a celebration of Nintendo and their IPs. Now you can think what you want about Playstation All Stars Battle Royal (blech that name), but their was NO love of Sony, despite featuring many PS icons we got
No timelines
No biographies
No Music
No real Extras
No hidden anything
No PS love at all

With the PS Classic it's like they saw the Nes/Snes classics, but had no clue WHY they were a hit..
Way to expensive
Bad list of games
Too few Games
No extra options except for saving
PAL F)&&*(*(&G VERSIONS on many games (ensuring worse performance)

Sony has treated it's BC as an obstacle through the tail end of the PS3, than MS said with the much bemoaned Xbone "Hey what if we offer BC on many OG Box and 360 games, then they said "hey what if we offer upgrades for many of said games via patches (this mentality continued for the X itself)

And THAT is the reason why Biomutant looks worse on the V, that's why almost every BC game performs considerably better on the XseX/S... MS built their consoles with legacy support in mind, including boosting FPS, resolution, and VRR (just for you Riky Riky lol) to ensure the hardware and software are taken advantage of, the PSV doesn't do this (presently anyway)

This is Why BC games load faster on the XseX/s
Why they look better
Perform better
Have a higher resolution and Framerate.

The outlier here is CURRENT BC games, as they are being developed on both at the same time. Any current cross gen game is being made for 5 platforms, the Xbone/X the PS4/Pro and V, the XseX/s are patches (even if they get an individual release) as mention above Sony doesn't do that, they require a native PS5 release rather than a patch.

Give MS credit here, they deserve it and hopefully Sony will take a lesson from it.

I love how fanboys always stand up for Sony no matter what... they are terrible regarding BC patches, just accept it.

MS is also working on new games, more and more complex new games than Sony BTW and still manages to work on BC patches across their entire ecosystem. It's not an excuse.
As long as Microsoft is taking on literally all these so called new games, they should be more complex. Microsoft has to step up their BC game because they have been lacking in first party games and general exclusives for quite some time. Btw, how do you know these Microsoft games are more complex than what Sony is offering?

Last edited:
I love how fanboys always stand up for Sony no matter what... they are terrible regarding BC patches, just accept it.

MS is also working on new games, more and more complex new games than Sony BTW and still manages to work on BC patches across their entire ecosystem. It's not an excuse.
ormx4A.gif

Mr.ODST

Funny how so many people refuse to give MS the recognition they deserve for keeping great game preservation and BC, Sony didn't even want BC and changed their minds at the last minute and this shows with PS5 games need to have a separate version to take mainly any advantage of its next-gen features and MS made it so its just a patch.

Think best comparisons will be made when PS4 and One games are phased out and every game coming out is just for Xbox Series and PS5 but just like Sniper Warrior, Biomutant and possibly more devs clearly getting frustrated.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony didn't even want BC and changed their minds at the last minute and this shows with PS5 games need to have a separate version
You are exaggerating at best and making it up at worst… and this kind of statements is why you do not just hear praise for MS solution and condemnation for Sony’s BC like you think they deserve.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

No, because you made a hyperbolic unsupported statement and cannot stand when something is better but the other thing is not shit.
It was very obvious when they started doing U-Turn after U-Turn, its not a hyperbolic statement, the fact there was such a huge outcry about the BC support and now all of a sudden it "doesn't matter" because Microsoft do it better.

The patches Sony has brought for LOU2, GOW etc have been great and really expand the experience of those games.

Burger

Funny how so many people refuse to give MS the recognition they deserve for keeping great game preservation and BC, Sony didn't even want BC and changed their minds at the last minute and this shows with PS5 games need to have a separate version to take mainly any advantage of its next-gen features and MS made it so its just a patch.

Think best comparisons will be made when PS4 and One games are phased out and every game coming out is just for Xbox Series and PS5 but just like Sniper Warrior, Biomutant and possibly more devs clearly getting frustrated.

I'm a Playstation person, and I think Sony are useless at this stuff. I believe Sony made a business decision first and Microsoft made a technical decision first. Microsoft are doing A game stuff with prev gen software on next gen hardware. Sony just made it complicated for everyone.

evanft

Do you ever regret having the ability to read?

MaKTaiL

Sony is not going to enabled option to uncap framerates. People though MS was doing and finished as curated content.

Why not? First because can broke much games, that mean users angry and more calls to support. Second because modify the execution of code with no explicit permission from developers it’s a bad idea. Imagine Sony letting playing RDR2 at 60fps, what would think Rockstar that want to sell you a future remaster?
If only this was an option you could enable/disable at any time.... oh wait, your brain did not think of this so Sony will never do it.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
It would be good if they told us which ones they were working in instead of waiting until the day the patch was ready to tell us.

GuinGuin

Banned
Remember that Sony and Jym Ryan's plan was to charge for it. They wanted to charge you for those PS5 updates but they had to change course at the last minute after seeing what Xbox was doing. That's the reason there are practically no updates and there won't be. They have nothing to gain and money to loose.

When did Jim say that?

Rudius

Microsoft deserves credit, but you are exaggerating by saying that Sony didn't want backwards compatibility. All their consoles had it, except for PS4 due to the change in CPU. What Microsoft started was adding improvements to old games and in that aspect they are much better.

It is shameful to still have games of the caliber of Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne locked at 30 fps. Other types of improvements are nice, but the jump to 60fps is by far the most important.

Top Bottom