• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Konami Viper; back when Konami DIDNT SUCK they did cool stuff like THIS!

VGEsoterica

Konami used to be cool. Hell they used to be one of the best developers of arcade, console and pc games around. Their track record up through the PS2 era was a company that just did everything they possibly could to make awesome ass games that everyone could enjoy.

Then...something happened. The PS3 era came around and while Konami did put out some awesome games...they also got WEIRD and started to stray away from what made them popular in the first place...video games! They decided pachislot was easier / more profitable...and basically became a VILLIAN

But before that? They did cool shit like the Konami Viper; a banger of a 3D arcade board with some legit awesome exclusives that never got ported to any console ever. Stuff like Thrill Drive 2, that inspired Criterion and the development of the Burnout series.

So why not celebrate just how cool Konami USED to be. Tell me your fav Konami game from before they turned into garbage!

Aggelos

I remember myself drooling over the Fighting Bujutsu screens on the GamePro magazine. But that was on Konami's Cobra, though.
It was more like a Virtua Fighter clone, but it looked good, though. And I was crossing my fingers whether Konami would port it to home consoles. But alas, they never did.

kbdq6DY.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: TGO

VGEsoterica

I remember myself drooling over the Fighting Bujutsu screens on the GamePro magazine. But that was on Konami's Cobra, though.
It was more like a Virtua Fighter clone, but it looked good, though. And I was crossing my fingers whether Konami would port it to home consoles. But alas, they never did.

[/URL]

kbdq6DY.jpg

then you will like my video next Friday ;)

Doing some testing on Bujutsu. Prelim but I have a board in progress of repair. OG Cobra

anthony2690

Banned

[/URL]

kbdq6DY.jpg

Oh wow, I've never ever seen these games before! Look pretty cool too!

VGEsoterica

Oh wow, I've never ever seen these games before! Look pretty cool too!
it was Konami's attempt to rival Sega with their Model 3 hardware. The games just didnt HIT with audiences so they abandoned the platform after 2 games; Fighting Bujutsu and Racing Jam. Barely anyone knows Racing Jam (deluxe version) ran on it

Sadly the boards bake themselves to death. I need to send the GPU board (IBM workstation / 3D modeling chips) to a friend to get it reflowed as the board flexes and solder posts crack / go cold

But I am working on it!

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.

kbdq6DY.jpg

Cool I remember Kensei: Sacred Fist
But Fighting Bujutsu was clearly Arcade game

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
then you will like my video next Friday ;)

Doing some testing on Bujutsu. Prelim but I have a board in progress of repair. OG Cobra
Nice video!
Esp. Curious on Cobra's rendering tech - is it custom? Is it a IBM RS/6000 based accelerator? Is it simply another PowerPC? What is in there?

VGEsoterica

Nice video!
Esp. Curious on Cobra's rendering tech - is it custom? Is it a IBM RS/6000 based accelerator? Is it simply another PowerPC? What is in there?
The graphics portion is handled by an assortment of IBM 6000 series chips and a PowerPC processor.

Code execution is handled by multiple PowerPC chips

It’s a MESS of silicon. So much

Top Bottom