• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The key optimisations for your next-gen Sea of Thieves experience Xbox Series X | Xbox Series S

FlyyGOD

I’m trying to establish if Series S is more / less powerful than the (cheaper One X) - why can’t anyone just say which has the edge?
I've shown you plenty of reasons why Series s is more powerful. You just wanna ignore all the facts and keep trolling to push your agenda. Im not sure why you're concerned because you've never even intended to purchase a Series S in the 1st place.

Riky

$MSFT
I’m trying to establish if Series S is more / less powerful than the (cheaper One X) - why can’t anyone just say which has the edge?

Series S has the edge but because it was designed to only ever run at 1440p max it has one major disadvantage, memory.

2GB less memory and a lot slower memory bandwidth. That's why it can't do 4k, but it was never meant to.

X1X was a 4k 30fps machine
XSS is a 1080/1440 60fps machine.

Yes some third parties won't care much at launch, the same as 720p Battlefield/ Call of Duty on Xbox One at launch, they improved the next releases.

Even at launch you can see some advantages to XSS over X1X, Ray Tracing and 120fps support, X1X couldn't do either.

I've shown you plenty of reasons why Series s is more powerful. You just wanna ignore all the facts and keep trolling to push your agenda. Im not sure why you're concerned because you've never even intended to purchase a Series S in the 1st place.

What agenda? I think you are assuming motive here, you sound unhinged tbqh

cireza

Banned
My problem is that people are saying they were advertising it as 1080p-1440p
Nobody was saying this in this thread or in this forum. We perfectly understand your point of putting words in people's mouths.

Consoles are advertised with the maximum specifications they can reach, this has always been like that. Is this your first generation of buying consoles ?

Last edited:
It's apparently giving you 4K/60fps in this one though.
But Series S is giving you 1080p60 which is fine coz they can push extra graphics effects.

If you on 1080ptv Series S perfect for u.

You can ignore that SSD in it can load games faster than X as assets are lowered resolution? Its same speed SSD

Last edited:

Allandor

I am disappointed with the series s it seems like that the ram size and bandwidth are the bottlenecks.

There is 2.25 times the amount of pixels found in 1440p in respect to 4k and 4 times the amount for 1080p in respect to 4k. The series s is 3 times weaker than the Series X so theoretically it should be able to run the same games a bit higher than 1080p but a little lower than 1440p.

This should just be the case because it is just a "simple" port. The problem reaching 1440p with that title should be, that the bandwidth is really to low to get this game run 6 60fps and higher settings on the series s. This could be solved by rewriting the engine to use PRT (well actually SFS) to save much bandwidth needed for the current texture loading.

But with simple ports this won't happen. Should be the same issue like Gears 5 and it's dynamic 1080p on the series s. If your engine/game was not made with those features in mind, you will loose lots of bandwidth. I really hoped that MS would at least use a little bit faster memory chips, but in the end it was just a cost thing to pack everything they can into the $299 price target and still loose money. But it is a the low end and cheaper machine, so 1080p is totally ok. It has a whole other target audience than the people in this forum.

The Series S would be an excellent choice for my son, but the missing BR drive is a problem. Seems like he get's my one X.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
This thread just highlights how anoying it is not to have any hands on impressions and coverage of other series s games. I know it's supposed to be fir the "casuals" but there are many on this board considering or have prebooked that would like to see how the rubber hits the road. Come on ms......the machine launches in 5 days, this is ridiculous.

FireFly

Targeting 1080p is great news because it means the heavy lifting is done by the resolution drop, and the visual quality should be able to stay the same as the 4K version.

Aidah

But Series S is giving you 1080p60 which is fine coz they can push extra graphics effects.

If you on 1080ptv Series S perfect for u.

You can ignore that SSD in it can load games faster than X as assets are lowered resolution? Its same speed SSD
1080/60 isn't the issue in itself, I think most people expected that. The issue is that Series S doesn't hit Microsoft's claimed 1440/60 design target even in one of their own games, despite Series X (apparently) hitting its claimed design target of 4K/60 in the same game. In other words, the actual difference between Series X and S is much bigger than they are claiming.

Last edited:

Bravedwarf

Neo Member

xbox one x seems to be more powerful as they put the profile to run at 4k or near 4k.. the problem is will future games say in 2 years be supported on xbox one x, they might block it (maybe devs won't make profiles for the games to run, there so many if and buts that nobody knows)but most likely they won't as the tech won't be supported in a few years for xbox one x.

so if you want 4k on a budget get a xbox one x.... if your happy to upgrade in a year to two years time.

if not get a series S and play for the ten but at 1080p etc

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Nobody was saying this in this thread or in this forum. We perfectly understand your point of putting words in people's mouths.

Lets see.

I wasn't the only one who pointed it out in this thread.

Someone replied to me and linked me to another thread backing up my statement. "We" saw it, but you're ignoring the evidence.

Consoles are advertised with the maximum specifications they can reach, this has always been like that. Is this your first generation of buying consoles ?

False.

1440p is not the maximum specifications it can reach. That's the target resolution they want to aim for and want developers to aim for, but the console is capable of reaching higher resolutions.

Few other games are confirmed to run at a higher resolution than 1440p. Is this your first time reading specs?

You seem to be really upset with my post when its been confirmed that I wasn't the only one who saw it. I was also linked to a thread where people specifically made those statements. I'm not going to continue because you're obviously ignoring proof.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Hey as long they don't gimp the XSX quality/performance, who cares?
(from GAF anyway)

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
If you disappointed then don't buy it.

MS said its 1080p-1440p machine with frame rate upto 60 and 120fps. Not guaranteed 1440p60fps in every game machine.

Is seriesX giving you 4k60 in every game? No. So Series S will not give 1440p60 in every game.
MS lied. It was not marketed as a 1080p machine and people believed it.

Banned

because it's not that easy. the Series S is way more modern with relatively up to date hardware.
meanwhile the One X has really a really strong but outdated GPU.

the CPU of the Series S is in another league basically, that thing smokes the One X's CPU with ease.

the GPU on both is similarly powerful, but in some areas the One X would have the upper hand.
meanwhile it is missing support for more modern RDNA2 features like mesh shader, VRS and of course Raytracing acceleration.

if you simply port a One X game to the One S without changing the way the game renders its graphics in a way that would benefit the more modern RDNA2 GPU of the Series S, then the One X will run the game with higher fidelity since it has slightly more pure horsepower.

the One X however could most likely never run Sea of Thieves at 60fps due to the more than shitty CPU.
and the One X could also never have any meaningful raytracing implementation if they would ever implement that...

all in all the Series S is the more powerful system, it has a small deficit in terms of rasterization performance and a smaller ram pool, but the CPU and RDNA2 features make it future proof where the One X at some point wouldn't be able to keep up

Last edited:

BeardGawd

Banned
The biggest disappointment for me is that resolution and framerate are the only next-gen upgrades for this game. What about Ray-Tracing and other next-gen effects?

Last edited:
If you're not getting a Series s and Never planned on getting one why all the concern?

I am getting a PS5 and wanted to pick up a cheap Series S or One X - I want to know the difference. Price matters as it's the secondary console so judging by that a second hand X seems the better bet and actually has some advantages over Series S if you want some kind of 4K presentation. Do you understand this concept?

FlyyGOD

I am getting a PS5 and wanted to pick up a cheap Series S or One X - I want to know the difference. Price matters as it's the secondary console so judging by that a second hand X seems the better bet and actually has some advantages over Series S if you want some kind of 4K presentation. Do you understand this concept?
If you're worried about advantages get the Series X because it has the advantage in power over the ps5.

If you're worried about advantages get the Series X because it has the advantage in power over the ps5.

PS5 has better exclsuives and I was PS4 last gen. There are a few Xbox titles I want to play but not enough to warrent a Series X purchase. The (cheaper) One X looks a better bet to me than a Series S.

Banned

the One X will fall behind fast tho.
as games get optimised for next gen the One X will get the bare minimum of attention.

and the Series S should easily outperform it in most upcoming games.

FlyyGOD

PS5 has better exclsuives and I was PS4 last gen. There are a few Xbox titles I want to play but not enough to warrent a Series X purchase. The (cheaper) One X looks a better bet to me than a Series S.
If you really wanted a one x you would've had one way before now. Dont act like all of a sudden the Series s running games at 1080p is shifting your decision to get a One X instead.

Jokerevo

Banned

I am disappointed with the series s it seems like that the ram size and bandwidth are the bottlenecks.

There is 2.25 times the amount of pixels found in 1440p in respect to 4k and 4 times the amount for 1080p in respect to 4k. The series s is 3 times weaker than the Series X so theoretically it should be able to run the same games a bit higher than 1080p but a little lower than 1440p.

B-b-b-b-but I thought all you had to do was change the resolution because everything is so scalable like the PC? That was the bullshit narrative being spouted around everywhere....while everyone with half a brain could see the pipes in the S were too thin....

This dual config is going to wreck a lot of XsX games because the scaling back is going to have to happen at the upper level. HI was a perfect example of that. It looks shit because it has to also scale down to the S.....uurrgghgh..

FireFly

B-b-b-b-but I thought all you had to do was change the resolution because everything is so scalable like the PC? That was the bullshit narrative being spouted around everywhere....while everyone with half a brain could see the pipes in the S were too thin....

This dual config is going to wreck a lot of XsX games because the scaling back is going to have to happen at the upper level. HI was a perfect example of that. It looks shit because it has to also scale down to the S.....uurrgghgh..
They did change the resolution, to 1080p. PC games show around a 3x performance differential from 1080p to 4K, so 1080p should always have been the target, but I guess the MS marketing team wanted the higher number.

Kssio_Aug

Apparently Rogue Company is running at 1440p 120fps on Series S.

Edit: Oh, and Star Wars: Squadrons will be 60fps 1440p

Last edited:
Go right ahead just don't expect to play any new games on it. It will run old titles just fine.

rnlval

'BuT It HAs tHe SAmE CPU as SeRiEs X'
1. XSS's 1440p vs TFLOPS is not a proportion to XSX's 4K vs TFLOPS.

2. GPU renders CPU's viewport, hence the CPU power means little to viewport's rendering resolution. XSS CPU can generate similar geometry control dots output as XSX's.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
All-digital gaming experience - Obvious because there's no disc drive. This is not misleading because there is NO DISC DRIVE.

At 1440p. I jus went over there.

Up to 120fps. "Up to" is the point here. IT doesn't say "at 120fps" it says the console is designed "up to 120p" which many people know that it supports 120fps.

4K upscaling for games. it upscales ALL GAMES. This is not false advertising because even the Xbox One S upscaled games. It's generally how TVs and consoles with 4K output works.

Other three are merely features that it supports.

Before you start name calling, at least read what you post first.

Why are you picking and choosing what you decide is a mandate and what is a feature?

1440p isnt a mandate, the only way you would take it as a mandate is if you would also take DirectX Raytracing as a mandate?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Why are you picking and choosing what you decide is a mandate and what is a feature?

1440p isnt a mandate, the only way you would take it as a mandate is if you would also take DirectX Raytracing as a mandate?
No one is talking about mandating anything. People are saying it wasn't advertised as a 1440p console and I pointed out that it was.

Would be easier if you actually read what I posted.

Kagey K

Banned
As long as companies make xbox one games you'll be fine. After 2 years it'll probably be a useless machine.
In the meantime as they push into next gen you will be able to get the game on the one X, but it’s going to be a poor experience. We have already seen this happen this year with multiple games that were looking up to next gen, but launched before the consoles did (Avengers especially)

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

Does this answer your questions about Series s advantages over the one x?

Lort

Banned
It's of course more helpful.

It now boils down to:

£249 for sub 4K / RT
£150 potentially 4K no RT

Im guessing you had a bit of a brain fade there...

The video shows RT on the Xbox series S... its dynamic 1080p.

His other video shows RT on the Xbox series X .. which is dynamic 4k.

Im guessing you had a bit of a brain fade there...

The video shows RT on the Xbox series S... its dynamic 1080p.

His other video shows RT on the Xbox series X .. which is dynamic 4k.

re-read what I wrote.

I’m talking about the price difference and feature sets of One X vs. Series S

Don't worry this guy is looking for reasons to hate Series S. He's been trying to say why get Series S when xbox one x is on par even though its not close.

Have you overdosed on you arsehole pills again?

*If* the PS5 is your primary and you want an MS console for The odd game, the One X is much cheaper gamepass alternative and a completely viable option.

Can you understand this incredibly simple concept?

Top Bottom