• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Jordan B. Peterson Podcast - Season 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaplain

Video: Jordan Peterson's Critique of the Communist Manifesto
On February, April 19, 2019, I debated Marxist philosopher Slavoj Zizek in Toronto, April 19 at the Sony Centre. I started with a critique of The Communist Manifesto, which is the central revolutionary document of the Marxist movement.

Chaplain

Video: Russell Brand VS Jordan Peterson: Part #3

#JordanPeterson, a 2 hour, challenging and tearful conversation about unity, responsibility, compassion and teaching on my podcast Under The Skin. This is only the first hour, if you'd like to listen to the rest of our conversation just download Luminary here, it's worth it: http://luminary.link/russell Jordan Peterson returns for a third time on Under the Skin, but this one is much different than the others. For those who are new to Jordan, he is a professor of psychology and clinical psychologist. He is author of 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos and his latest book Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life is out now.

QSD

Video: Russell Brand VS Jordan Peterson: Part #3

This one is really interesting. Russel's such an interesting pairing with Peterson, he constantly challenges Peterson but he does so in a way that's respectful and playful and Peterson responds very openly to it. Shame the 2nd hour is behind a paywall.

EDIT: so watching a bit more and there's a point where Russel basically (in a roundabout way) asks Peterson if common people aren't actually being fucked over by the ultra-wealthy and Peterson replies with "yeah, hierarchies can become corrupted but they become unstable if they do" and I'm like yeah so look around man, is society currently a bastion of stability? I do feel that Peterson kind of dodges questions by Brand that are socially critical, but at the same time he becomes emotional when talking about the lack of encouragement and support that many suffer from, which is a problem that isn't just down to individuals but has a societal aspect.

Really circling that conservative drain I see.
dumb drive-by comment, the fact that Peterson keeps an open line of communication with someone as progressive and unconventional as Brand refutes this

Last edited:

Chaplain

Video: Jordan Peterson & Michael Shermer on Science, Myth, Truth, and the Architecture of Archetypes

Join Michael Shermer and Jordan Peterson (bestselling author of 12 Rules for Life) for this extraordinary conversation based on Peterson’s new book Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life. After working for decades as a clinical psychologist and a professor at Harvard and the University of Toronto, Peterson has become one of the world’s most influential public intellectuals. His YouTube videos and podcasts have gathered a worldwide audience of hundreds of millions, and his global book tour reached more than 250,000 people in major cities across the globe. What is it that gives Peterson’s message such mass appeal?

evolvaer

Banned
This one is really interesting. Russel's such an interesting pairing with Peterson, he constantly challenges Peterson but he does so in a way that's respectful and playful and Peterson responds very openly to it. Shame the 2nd hour is behind a paywall.

EDIT: so watching a bit more and there's a point where Russel basically (in a roundabout way) asks Peterson if common people aren't actually being fucked over by the ultra-wealthy and Peterson replies with "yeah, hierarchies can become corrupted but they become unstable if they do" and I'm like yeah so look around man, is society currently a bastion of stability? I do feel that Peterson kind of dodges questions by Brand that are socially critical, but at the same time he becomes emotional when talking about the lack of encouragement and support that many suffer from, which is a problem that isn't just down to individuals but has a societal aspect.

dumb drive-by comment, the fact that Peterson keeps an open line of communication with someone as progressive and unconventional as Brand refutes this
He should have a catholic rape victim on to talk about catholicism and it's challenges after Ayan Hirsi Ali talking about islam.
This is the conservative drain circling to which I am referring to...

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Jordan looks like a lobster. Did he fall asleep at the beach or something
I think he's looking pretty good. Looks a lot more vibrant than even just a month ago. Something that he addresses in that video is that he's been sleeping a lot better late thanks to having a machine to help with his sleep apnea.

QSD

He should have a catholic rape victim on to talk about catholicism and it's challenges after Ayan Hirsi Ali talking about islam.
This is the conservative drain circling to which I am referring to...
Well I think it should be possible to talk to someone from a religious or political background without them automatically having to answer for the worst things that group have ever gotten up to. That said an impish question about how they're feeling about the whole celibacy thing considering the recent history wouldn't go amiss.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm not familiar with Tim Dillion. What's he about?
He’s fucking hilarious and he gives no fucks. He might be the best I’ve ever seen at being politically incorrect but going one billionth of a millimeter away from going over the line to being an asshole.

His podcast is funny he talks about current events and basically mocks shit for an hour. His last one he celebrated the end of the Afghanistan war.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I enjoyed the episode with Dillion. Nothing groundbreaking or new but he seemed to know what Jordan was about and ask questions that were thoughtful.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
A couple of recent ones

I know Ben is political and I don't know if this crosses the line or not but he and Jordan do have good conversations. Listening now.

A fun little bit towards the beginning of the Shapiro video. The whole red skull thing has allowed Jordan to raise something like 150k for charity. lmao.

Last edited:

QSD

I enjoyed the episode with Dillion. Nothing groundbreaking or new but he seemed to know what Jordan was about and ask questions that were thoughtful.
I thought it was kind of a let down, considering how wickedly funny the Jimmy Fallon bit was. I was hoping for a bit more comedy but he (Tim) was very straight-faced and maybe a bit vanilla...?
EDIT: oh yeah, what I thought was kind of weird was how personal the interview was straight off the bat, considering how Jordan's never appeared on Dillon's podcast before.

A fun little bit towards the beginning of the Shapiro video. The whole red skull thing has allowed Jordan to raise something like 150k for charity. lmao.

One thing that makes me optimistic is seeing how quickly and thoroughly that backfired.
There's a recent Coleman Hughes podcast where he interviews Britanny King, she used to be a student of Ta Neheshi Coates, now she's more on the Peterson train. Might be interesting to check out.

Last edited:

QSD

Video: Jordan Peterson's Critique of the Communist Manifesto

I stumbled across this retrospective yesterday

I certainly haven't watched the entire thing yet but what's interesting is they have Zizek himself on about 15 minutes in, and he talks about the background of the debate. It's pretty chaotic and interspersed with current affairs/politics so fair warning if you want to avoid that. But some of the stuff I found interesting (I'm paraphrasing Zizek here so please allow for some 'interpretative degrees of freedom' LOL) :
People were expecting them to be more hostile, but Zizek was actually reasonably sympathetic to Peterson on grounds of his opposition to gender activism. Peterson and him agree on the importance of Freud. Zizek sees a kind of dismissal of Freud in modern gender activism, goes into this for a bit. Later on he explains that after the debate he was introduced to Mikaela. "So you're the beef girl" he told her, and she thought is was cute and later on when they were corresponding about Jordan's health situation she signed her emails "beef girl". Zizek laments that in modern times a kind of pearl clutching/purity testing mindset has made these kind of cordial relationships between ideological opponents rare and cites her behaviour as a positive counterexample.

It goes on but that's as far as I got...

Last edited:

Chaplain

I th
Zizek laments that in modern times a kind of pearl clutching/purity testing mindset has made these kind of cordial relationships between ideological opponents rare and cites her behaviour as a positive counterexample.

I think "cordial relationships between ideological opponents" is what will be needed to pushback against the communist tsunami that is beginning to gain steam:

QSD

I th

I think "cordial relationships between ideological opponents" is what will be needed to pushback against the communist tsunami that is beginning to gain steam:

Careful with the explicit politics, we don't want to get this thread locked :messenger_hushed:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
A lot of Jordan Peterson’s released podcast episodes were recorded back in January and only released now, and comparing those directly to how he sounds in the Ben Shapiro episode, it’s night and day. He’s really improving. He mentioned in an episode that he was getting zero sleep because of sleep apnea the doctors found, so he got a mask and he said he wakes up feeling closer to 75% of his usual self now compared to about 25%. It shows. He even has been busting out his elaborate hand gestures lately, which you know means Jordan is on the up and up.

Can’t wait til he goes on Rogan. The Paul Rossi episode was good.

I’ll probably start a Tim Dillon pod thread at some point, his episodes lately have been gold.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I find it really hard to have an in-depth discussion about JP or his podcast without getting political.

On that note, I'll keep it simple and just say that I'm really enjoying the new material and I'm looking to listening to E18 tonight.

Chaplain

Video: Brave Art | Randall Wallace - Jordan B Peterson Podcast S4 E19
Randall Wallace, graduate of Duke University, is an American NYT bestselling author of seven novels, as well as a screenwriter (TV and film), director, producer, songwriter, holder of a black belt in karate, and founder of Hollywood for Habitat for Humanity. He is perhaps best known for writing the historical drama Braveheart (1995), which earned him a Writers Guild of America Award for Best Original Screenplay and an Academy Award nomination in the same category, but has since directed The Man in the Iron Mask (1998), We Were Soldiers (2002), Secretariat (2010) and Heaven Is for Real (2014). Mr. Wallace also penned the lyrics to the acclaimed hymn Mansions of the Lord (music by Nick Glennie-Smith), featured in the soundtrack of When We Were Soldiers, and performed as the recessional for President Ronald Reagan's funeral. Mr. Wallace and I discussed the power of art, music, and story, his unlikely stint writing songs for an animal band, the profound influence of Biblical stories on his work and thought, the experience of depression, the necessity and significance of sacrifice, the general development of his career as a successful Hollywood writer and director, and his upcoming action movie about the Pope.

Video: Jordan Peterson Knows Why We're Obsessed with Aliens | The Glenn Beck Podcast | Ep 107
What is it about looking up at the night sky that fills us with hope and amazement? The beauty, the possibilities, or perhaps … aliens? In this episode of "The Glenn Beck Podcast," Canadian professor and cultural firebrand Jordan Peterson breaks down all three and ties this hope to something he and Glenn agree is being destroyed by the modern cancel culture: The ability to forgive and forget. Peterson is no stranger to the unforgiving mob, and his latest book, “Beyond Order: 12 More Rules,” faced woke outcries before it was even published! He dives into these new rules and more — technology, mythology, religion, college brainwashing, Star Wars, discount Karl Marx dolls, and plenty more sources of chaos and order that amaze and terrify us all.

evolvaer

Banned
Video: Brave Art | Randall Wallace - Jordan B Peterson Podcast S4 E19

Video: Jordan Peterson Knows Why We're Obsessed with Aliens | The Glenn Beck Podcast | Ep 107

He's on glen beck now?
I'm all for speaking to different people, and conservatives will have dissenters on more than progressive platforms but glen beck doesn't seem like an honest, good faith actor. He has a looney brand, like alex jones conservative.

Chaplain

Video: A Brain Divided | Iain McGilchrist - Jordan B Peterson Podcast - S4 E21 (5/13/21)

Iain McGilchrist is a psychiatrist, author, thinker, and lecturer. He is maybe best known for his book The Master and His Emissary: The Divided Brain and the Making of the Western World Dr. Iain McGilchrist and I discussed a variety of topics relating to the bifurcated brain, how we process reality as human beings, and the downfalls of the views that have shaped western culture according to McGilchrist.

QSD

This should be a good one.

The part where they effortlessly converge on the symbolic value of the monarchy was class

Peterson's critique of Dawkins has merit, but he forgets the landscape when Dawkins first emerged was completely different. Dawkins wrote the God Delusion against the backdrop of fundamentalist born-again christians teaching their children that humans and dinosaurs lived together. You're never going to make any headway discussing the symbolic meaning and nuance of biblical stories with people who believe the bible literally. IMO The God Delusion was still the right book for the moment because it served as a kind of rallying cry to oppose the shallow and incurious Christianity of the blair + dubya era. Dawkins and his "science is interesting and if you don't think so you can fuck off" attitude helped create the online space for intellectual discourse that Peterson is one of the biggest beneficiaries of. Also the new atheists and their online debates were the first incarnation of internet bloodsports, they were the original DESTROYERS with FACTS & LOGIC.

This should be a good one.

This seems like a good watch.

Also what's up w/ the hate for his daughter? I'm reading it as misplaced misogyny by guys who watch Peterson for reassurance that they're not incels (he tends to attract that crowd sadly).

I'm not sure there is any intellectual type over there they do like.

One of my bans when I was on there was because I asked why Islamic states tend to have higher incidences of theologically/politically induced violence and murder... You can't have a discussion on there at all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom