• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The importance of the exclusive

John117

Are the exclusives dead?
Over time, the concept of exclusivity has been downsized to the point of being totally questioned. Yes, it has gone from making it a big workhorse to evaluating it almost as a totally negative thing and to be undermined in the Videogame industry.
This transition took place among gamers but also among publishers. Recently Microsoft is the company that has caused the most hype due to its decisions regarding the concept of exclusivity.
I think it is not totally correct to hate exclusives, of course it is bad to be deprived of some titles when we choose one console rather than another.
In some situations, however, the exclusives carry a halo of magic, for example in the moments in which a new exclusive is presented that will fully exploit the hardware of the reference console. Almost unleashing a certain mechanism in the heads of some gamers, then making them become fond of the console that hosts the exclusive.
Videogame history has taught us, however, that exclusivity has played a fundamental role for the various houses.
For example Sega used Sonic to show the potential of the MegaDrive.
Microsoft acquired Bungie and made Halo the backbone of the first Xbox.
The examples could go on and on.
Honestly, I don't feel like giving a Black or White judgment on the concept of exclusivity. I think it is not totally correct to do this. But I am sure of one thing: we will hardly see the concept of exclusivity die in a total way, probably over time we will have a transition from "exclusive platform" to "exclusive for the service".
LiTqwrj.jpg

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
I dunno. I def. prefer to pick the platform that I want to play rather than be forced. There's nothing on either XS/PS5 that's exclusive that has me dying to get a console, and honestly, nothing on the horizon that's got me stoked either. I vastly prefer to play a lot of Wii U games on CEMU as performance is significantly better than what Nintendo offers on their own platforms.

Honestly, I just wish all 3 of the big 3 would just bring their games to the neutral platform of PC and let everyone else fight over the other shit. I say that a bit hypocritically though as I'm very excited for BOTW2 and wouldn't want to wait for the eventual performance boost from the Yuzu emulator to play it on PC and will probably get a Switch Pro(or whatever they call it) day and date of BOTW2's release.

I can say it felt wrong playing Metal Gear Solid 5 on PC though as it was always a Sony platform game for me growing up and there was something that felt off playing it on PC. Though I eventually got over it.

Last edited:

John117

I dunno. I def. prefer to pick the platform that I want to play rather than be forced. There's nothing on either XS/PS5 that's exclusive that has me dying to get a console, and honestly, nothing on the horizon that's got me stoked either. I vastly prefer to play a lot of Wii U games on CEMU as performance is significantly better than what Nintendo offers on their own platforms. Honestly, I just wish all 3 of the big 3 would just bring their games to the neutral platform of PC and let everyone else fight over the other shit. I say that a bit hypocritically though as I'm very excited for BOTW2 and wouldn't want to wait for the eventual performance boost from the Yuzu emulator to play it on PC and will probably get a Switch Pro(or whatever they call it) day and date of BOTW2's release.
I understand your opinion.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If it wasn't for exclusives I would never get a Nintendo console.

That I can only play certain games on there means it will always be a reason to get one.

When it comes to reasons to purchase, exclusives can help.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
If it wasn't for exclusives I would never get a Nintendo console.

That I can only play certain games on there means it will always be a reason to get one.

When it comes to reasons to purchase, exclusives can help.
By this point though, the emulation scene, ESPECIALLY for Nintendo, makes playing the same exact game MUCH better on PC across pretty much ALL of their platforms. Hell, Yuzu(Switch Emulator) is putting in so much work emulation wise that they are not only make playing a TON of Switch games playable day and date of release, they are even offering improved performance/resolutions over the Switch releases, with online play to boot. It feels like Nintendo is leaving a lot of money on the table by not putting their games on PC. I'm with you, I plan on getting a Switch Pro for BOTW2's release, but I'd love to have the option kind of like what MSFT has done in letting me play a game on my PC and then seamlessly go over and continue that game on my console.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Fuck exclusives. Unless due to HW reasons of course like games designed for keyboard and mouse like RTS or arena shooters. As long as the PC experience is not compromised games should release on as many platforms as possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom