• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hyper Neo Geo 64 - any hardware engineers here?

VGEsoterica

So I’ve been working with the Hyper Neo Geo, and trying to determine exactly how it works on the hardware level. I’ve gotten probably 90% of the way there to understanding just what the massive amount of ASICs are intended for function wise, but I still have some outstanding assumptions. Specifically on the SCC and VCR chips on the board.

it’s an insanely complex system but I really enjoy picking these type of things apart and thought maybe someone on Gaf might have some insight I don’t. I’m a filmmaker and film professor, not an electrical engineer, so ya know...I’m not perfect lol

my goal, at some point in time, is to get the chips decapped and scanned. Should help someone improve emulation, as it’s pretty lacking at this point in time but could be made much better with some solid chip scans

VGEsoterica

For reference. All the chips, labeled, and an overview of the pcb itself. Still not 100% sure what the SCC chip is (system controller perhaps? It’s in line with the CPU and SYS chips) and what the VCC chip is (vector calc?)

Max_Po

Banned
Have you checked out MiSter community or SmokeMonster at Arcade Projects? I bed they are already on the case.

VGEsoterica

Yeah. To my knowledge they havent been decapped yet. I don’t know that MiSter would be powerful enough for the Hyper either?

VGEsoterica

Quick update to this : I had an engineer by the name of Reza take a look. He produced an epic pdf basically explaining everything. Hopefully it’ll help some of the MAME folk with the Hyper. Short of getting the chips decapped it’s the most we will ever know about how the Hyper works

Top Bottom