• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hunt for Red October vs Crimson tide

The Hunt for Red October vs Crimson tide.

• The Hunt for Red October

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • Crimson Tide

Votes: 6 14.3%

• Total voters

Gp1

moebius or kirby silver surfer?

Which one is the best almost nuclear apocalipse, submarine movie of the 90's?

Red October
The last contemporary big cold war movie with Prime Sean Connery, AKA the only credible Russian SOVIET/LITHUANIAN boat captain with a Scottish accent and the most famous Baldwin brother as his partner. Supporting both we have Alan Shepard, Darth Vader voice and Jurassic Park doc. . A submarine movie based on a Tom Clancy book with John Mctiernan directing (Predator, Die Hard 1 and 3). Soundtrack by Basil Polidouros

Crimson Tide
A tour de force between Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington in a script peppered by Quentin Tarantino, with Aragon and Tony Sobrano orbiting both. One of the last 80's sweaty Simpson Bruckheimer juggernaut movie. Directed by Tony Scott (Top gun, Beverly hills Cop 2, Days of thunder etc) Soundtrack by Hans Zimmerman.

Last edited:

INC

No K2 widowmaker.....?

Embarrassed Shame GIF

Prime Sean Connery, AKA the only credible Russian boat captain with a Scottish accent

HE WAS LITHUANIAN

Red October is my choice.
The real question is: are there bad submarine movies? I liked all that I've seen, the most recent being Hunter Killer with Gerard Butler.

• Strength
Reactions: Gp1

Gp1

I hear das boot 🥾 is the best but I’ve Never seen it:

I saw the "episodic miniseries" version not so long ago. It's awesome, but is a different vibe.

And there is a new version/sequel from 2018 staring "Jaques hgar" from game of thrones...

Aggelos

Hans Zimmer, Harry Gregson-Williams and Nick Glennie-Smith roll tide!

"For better or for worse, Hans Zimmer's Crimson Tide remains one of the defining film scores of the 1990s -- the first and most popular of the electronic action scores that dominated the genre throughout the latter half of the decade, its propulsive, bombastic approach perfectly captures the artifice and soullessness of a Hollywood era dominated by computer-generated effects and genetically engineered stars. Zimmer's frantic, testosterone-fueled melodies embrace function at the expense of form -- there's nothing remotely noteworthy except their sheer relentlessness and visceral intensity. There's no doubting how perfectly this kind of music complements the modern action blockbuster -- whether the previous statement constitutes a ringing endorsement or a scathing indictment depends entirely on the perspective of the reader. "

YI0X24E.jpg
b4p3fIk.jpg

Last edited:
Hunt for Red October is a bit better. This thread has me reminiscing about playing Jane's 688i back in the day... poring over sonar waterfalls trying to classify ships, accidentally IDing a cruise ship as an enemy sub, calculating a firing solution and sinking it. Good times. Looks like there's a dev out there making "Modern Naval Warfare" which looks to be a spiritual successor to that kind of gameplay. Hopefully it comes out and is good.

Last edited:

Tschumi

AGRAH.. DYU AGRAH

If i can one day be told what he was meant to say at that point I'll be grateful.

The Hunt For Red October was specifically my favourite movie between the ages of, say, 13 and 15 or something

Last edited:

Vestal

Gold Member
Both are fantastic movies. There is no wrong choice here.
Shout out to other great sub movies:

U-571
K19 Widowmaker

on the humorous side of these type of movies:
Down Periscope.

Red October and it's not even close. I watched it from start to finish through an Amazon Prime trial and it was incredibly entertaining. Still love that moment where Connery's character breaks a person's neck whilst reciting a Biblical passage.

IXbwpHw.gif

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Red October is a bonafide classic.

Crimson Tide is just a good movie.

And yes, K2 completes the modern trifecta of submarine action flicks.

Finally, you cannot ignore Down Periscope.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I dont think I've EVER seen a bad underwater flick. And that includes Leviathan, Deep Star Six, Below (the above references sub movie with ghosts which is FANTASTIC!), Waterworld (if that counts), etc. Need to check out that North Sea drilling one with Jude Law (Black Sea?) and HK which I've probably already seen and totally forgotten.

There is a great one about a guy with super hearing who plays a sonar tech. It's french but the freedom title is "The Wolf's Call" or something.

And the correct answer is THFRO. It is an awesome book, awesome movie, awesome board game, awesome video game; the quadrifecta!!!

Reactions: Gp1
I hear das boot 🥾 is the best but I’ve Never seen it:

Same.

But Red October wins this one.

Also yes Down Periscope is awesome. Also that other one with the guys on a P Boat who get involved in some Vietcong thing... comedy... can't remember. McHale's Navy (looked it up - nope that was an old show... still searching)?

Last edited:

Raven117

Both great. Red October is probably a better “film”, but crimson tide is awesome as well and addresses some interesting issues

MastaKiiLA

Both very good films, but Red October for me. It was a great book, and a great movie. My favorite scene is still the Red October crew singing the Russian national anthem, while the Dallas sonar op Jonesy listens in.

Top Bottom