• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE HOUSE OF THE DEAD: Remake || Nintendo Switch Trailer

tassletine

I may have been up for this but I just played the Panzar Dragoon remake. Clearly done just to keep the IP alive. Horribly basic and rushed.

This was announced some time ago, but this is the first footage. The remake is being done by the same team who did the Panzer Dragoon Remake.

The voice acting seems very true to the original :messenger_tears_of_joy: (a good choice I think - it all adds to the B-movie vibe)

Its good but something about modern graphics engines they are always too blurry and unclear while house of the dead virtua cop where very clear back in the days that aesthetic made them timeless..

"You will all die... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA" *HOTD theme kicks in*

I hope it will come out on PC with VR support or at the very least PC. If not, I will have to borrow a mate's Switch... If there is a physical release.

Kazza

I hope it will come out on PC with VR support or at the very least PC.

I'm not sure about VR (although I agree that would be amazing), but this is 95% certain to come to PC and other consoles 6-12 months after the Switch release. Just like with the Panzer Remake, it appears that they have a timed exclusivity deal with Nintendo.

Kazza

Here is a good comparison video between the remake and the original (shame they used the rushed Saturn port rather than the arcade though):

I'm pretty happy with the visuals and artsytle, it's just the sound that's putting me off a bit (sound effects drown out the music too much, plus the gunshots and moans don't sound as good). For the Panzer remake they included the option of using the original soundtrack, I hope that's the case here too.

evanft

The light gun aspect of these games is so essential to the experience that they're pretty much pointless without it. Motion controls are not a replacement.

dan76

So how are they going to handle the lightguns? I'm all in, but gyro aiming or a regular controller sucks. Not 100% on the art style either, but it looks like a lot of work has gone into it.
... ideally it would be on PS3 with a Move...

nerdface

Banned
Gyro aiming is badass, but you can’t use it to move the camera with two players, so it will have to be more like a reticle.

...seems like it would play just like a light gun, except what about handheld mode...that could get weird.

SegaShack

Here is a good comparison video between the remake and the original (shame they used the rushed Saturn port rather than the arcade though):

I'm pretty happy with the visuals and artsytle, it's just the sound that's putting me off a bit (sound effects drown out the music too much, plus the gunshots and moans don't sound as good). For the Panzer remake they included the option of using the original soundtrack, I hope that's the case here too.

The original wins for me. It has a nice style to it while the new one looks like every 2020 game.

SegaShack

Gyro aiming is badass, but you can’t use it to move the camera with two players, so it will have to be more like a reticle.

...seems like it would play just like a light gun, except what about handheld mode...that could get weird.
Move the camera? Have you not played this game? It's fixed camera the whole time, like a ride on a track.

nerdface

Banned
Move the camera? Have you not played this game? It's fixed camera the whole time, like a ride on a track.

that’s exactly what I was saying...

I was trying to understand why gyro would be a problem. My point was that it wouldn’t play like a typical gyro shooter and would aim like a light gun.

Last edited:

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Typing of the Dead when?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
sound effects in the OG are much nicer.
I will take it though.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Yep, looks like crap. Jelly crap

Nice that they really remake the game, doing new stunts and shit, but the art is too much cartoony. It sucks

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
reminder that HoTD3 looked like this once:

hotd3cellshading2.jpg

gamer82

This would be more immersive in vr id think. Wagging controllers looking a tv just doesn't seem as fun and novelty will wear off real quick

stranno

Having to reset the reference point constantly will be a major pita, but I guess it will be more playable than with the analog controls.

I finished Blue Estate years ago with the Dual Shock 4 gyroscope and it wasn't a pleasant experience, tbh.

One of the Joycons has an IR sensor, i hope it somehow can emulate a lightgun. The gyro in the joycon it's pretty bad and even using the DS4 gyro was less than ideal in games like this.
I'm not sure if it would be usable anyway, it looks like a different type of camera to me. Wiimote IR camera is more primitive (it just catches "leds") and has lower resolution (128x96, Joycon can go up to 240x320 in the lowest framerate mode), but Wiimote can catch light sources far away, while the Joycon camera seems to work in a very close range (at least when using Joy-Con Toolkit or that stupid eShop app), I don't think it could catch two leds 2-4 meters away.

Even if it could work, well, controls are reversed.

Nintendo probably didn't want to do something like that because of the: hybrid experience, yo!

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

SEGA arcade classic returns thanks to developers from Forever Entertainment. Here's a sneak peak on what we can expect from upcoming release. The House of the Dead Remake vs Original Early Graphics Comparison

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The House of the Dead: Remake reviewed by Taylor Lyles on Nintendo Switch.

The House of the Dead: Remake is an easy recommendation for hardcore fans who have been waiting decades for a better way to play it at home, but it's a much harder sell for anyone else. The options for difficulty and scoring make it more approachable compared to the original's harsh difficulty curve, but frustrating controls, poor gyro aiming, and some unfortunate technical issues can be scarier than the zombies themselves. There's plenty of fun to be had with this classic if you are willing to put the time into learning its nuances, but I can't help but feel like more could have been done to improve and refine a return I've been waiting decades for.

Last edited:

dan76

Revive the light gun genre without a light gun. It's a shame as I'd love to be able to play this properly. Hoping for a PC version as there are loads of light gun options available.

Kikorin

It looks good graphically speaking, lot better that what I would have expected. But watching the comparison with the original (that I played so much times in arcades), I really don't like the ragdoll and the fact that zombies no more get in pieces as you shot them, but they just generally lose head with headshots.

Watching them getting destroyed bullet after bullet was one of the most satisfying thing about this series.

Alan Wake

Pretty much what I expected. A pretty mediocre game with some control issues but fun for us who played the original back in the day. I'll buy it.

darthvargi

I haven't read many impressions on Gaf so I thought I'd share my own:

At first I hated the game. I didn't mind the frame rate (but I do recommend playing in performance mode) and despite nostalgia, the graphics are significantly improved here.

What was awful were the controls. The default settings have the deadzone at .5. I don't know exactly what that measurement means but after a lot of trial and error setting the deadzone around 2.5 really helped me avoid constant calibration.

That helped a lot but still didn't quite solve my problems. I then set the opacity of the cross hair to be very visible (set it at max). That helped and then turning off aim assist helped as well. My cursor would just gravitate towards targets which also caused the feeling of drift when it wasn't actually that bad.

You also will want to turn off rumble and I just set auto reload to on with no delays. Now the game is a hair easy but I really like it. It isn't a deep game but for around $20 it's exactly what I expected once I got the controls down.

I hope eventually it gets ported to VR (lookup a game called Operation Warcade or Drop Dead for how it could work). That said, it's a fun switch game and is the only home port outside of the rather ugly Saturn port.

I haven't tried much in handheld mode but this game is meant to be played on a TV IMO.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The House of the Dead: Remake has quite a bit going for it- it's inherently fun, it's got decent replay value, and above all else, it's a faithful remake of a beloved classic that does a solid job of paying tribute to the original. It's got issues though, and not minor ones- which does drag down the experience.

The new reload mechanic cheapens the gameplay in significant ways, the game doesn't look gate, and it's way too short, and doesn't have enough content on offer, to justify its price for someone who doesn't have a strong attachment to the IP. The House of the Dead: Remake is a decent throwback, but with a little more meat and a little more polish, it could have been more.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Gonna wait and see how the PSN version turns out. Hopefully the mentioned issues are addressed, not to mention there will be trophies too for whores like me lol

unclbenn

man, im really loving this art style. i feel like its really captured that arcade chunky/plastic look.
playing with the joycons is serviceable but im hoping this makes its way over to ps5 with VR support. it'd be cool if they could implement 2 player coop, one player using the headset and the other using the tv screen.

Top Bottom