• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hollywood Reporter: Deadpool Director Shifts to Sony's Sonic the Hedgehog Film

Takao

Banned
www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-visi...r-developing-sonic-hedgehog-movie-sony-942661
Just over a week after stepping away from Deadpool, director Tim Miller has set his sights on a new gig: developing an adaptation of Sonic the Hedgehog for Sony Pictures.

Miller and his longtime Blur Studio collaborator Jeff Fowler have been tapped to work on the project, on which Fowler would make his feature directorial debut.

The duo are working with Neal H. Moritz (the Fast and Furious franchise), who is producing the adaptation. Miller will act as an executive producer on it.

The plan is to make a hybrid CG-animated/live-action family film. Patrick Casey and Josh Miller, who created Golan the Insatiable, are writing the script.

Miller and Fowler were nominated for a best animated short Oscar in 2005 for their farm animal-centric Gopher Broke (Fowler write and directed, Miller executive produced). The two also have been developing, with David Fincher, an animated adaptation of cult comic The Goon.

Said Miller of his cohort: “Jeff is an incredible director with strong story instincts. The world of Sonic presents the perfect opportunity for him to leverage his experience in animation to bring new dimension to this iconic character.”

Sony Pictures and Marza Animation Planet, a CG animation film production company of the SEGA SAMMY Group, will be the production titles behind the movie.

Joining Moritz as producers are Marza’s Takeshi Ito and Mie Onishi. Joining Miller as executive producer is Toby Ascher. Dmitri Johnson and Dan Jevons of DJ2 Entertainment will serve as co-producers.

Sometimes I think this entire year has been a dream. Other times? A nightmare.

I simply don't understand the whole live action/CGI hybrid they're going with. I mean, do they seriously want a film version of THIS?

latest

Fucking Sony Pictures.

If it was fully CG, I'd be a little more optimistic about it. I do like that Night of the Werehog short, 'twas pretty charming.

LordKasual

Banned
Who on earth would believe this is a good idea

Sonic hasn't been good for....

...for a really long time. It's so bad now that Sega has accepted it and Sonic is officially just a parody of himself.

Sonic the Hedgehog is the class clown of the gaming world, he's funny and makes you laugh from time to time, but everyone knows he's flunked every test and isn't graduating

Painguy

Why does sonic have to like....hang with "real people"? Once they started taking Sonic to the "real world" it got hella weird.

tumblr_nmk2jw2Vj51u3iua1o1_400.gif

Camjo-Z

Deadpool was pretty good so this is good news, now all they have to do is not make this another formulaic "cartoon characters get sucked into THE REAL WORLD!!!" type of stupid kid's movie.
Who on earth would believe this is a good idea

Sonic hasn't been good for....

...for a really long time. It's so bad now that Sega has accepted it and Sonic is officially just a parody of himself.

Sonic Mania is literally what everyone has wanted for years, made by and for fans. Please leave "Sonic is dead" hyperbole in the trash where it belongs.

Lynd7

Probably use the trope where Sonic and co are transported to our world.

The movie will start with Sonic trying to stop Eggman from using some contraption, it'll backfire or something due to Sonic trying to stop it. A reaction with the Chaos Emeralds will make a wormhole suck them through.

Eggman will then not care and start trying to turn humans into robots etc.

Deadpool director?! Gooooood..? I agree with others in this thread that the movie should be all CG, even if they do the annoying trope of bringing Sonic to "the real world" that world still shouldn't be live action. I'd be sooooo much more happy with this if it was taking place in a fully imagined world in which the various classic zones are represented as actual places, zany geography intact, and with Sonic and co only interacting with Robotnik + other animals. The human like people in the Sonic OVA are fine too, but real human people in the "real world" would not be. Just imagine a scene taking place in Mirage Saloon, Sonic Mania's newly shown off level, it'd be so great!

Hexa

Probably use the trope where Sonic and co are transported to our world.

The movie will start with Sonic trying to stop Eggman from using some contraption, it'll backfire or something due to Sonic trying to stop it. A reaction with the Chaos Emeralds will make a wormhole suck them through.

Eggman will then not care and start trying to turn humans into robots etc.

The first 3 episodes of Sonic X would make a great feature film, honestly.

I actually think this would turn out great. I loved the cartoon as a kid. The rich kid, his crazy uncle, and the girl in the wheelchair were all cool. And the story portions that they did go through actually came out pretty well, though it should have ended when they went back.

wildfire

Banned
This weekend when the news broke he was kicked from Deadpool most thought the split was amicable because he got a new job quickly.

Now that we know this is his project I believe Fox is trying to kill his career and studio.

Aki-at

Perfect timing considering Sonic's twitter account level of 4th wall breaking and satire is Deadpool-esque.

Menitta

That totally fits...but I still have no faith because Sony is at 0 hits when it comes to video game movies. Has a single one been good? I can't think of any.

This is the greatest timeline now.

I hope this means the next Sonic game is exclusive to PS4, by Ready At Dawn, and debuts at E3 2017.

SephLuis

Sonic Mania HAD to have a price people. For every good, there's a bad thing.

Honestly, I'm on train wreck crew. Film based on Sonic 06, call Vin Diesel to voice Sonic and use the most horrendous CGI/Human interaction they can make.

Top Bottom