• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gunk Xbox Series X Gameplay - First look

Roberts

Just finished it, it was way longer than i expected. howlongtobeat said 4 hours, but i think it took me about 6 or 7 and i just died 3 times.

I think 75/100 ist the perfect score for this game.
Agreed. I think I completed in 5 hours or so, but I wanted to get all the achievements and that added an extra hour or two to the whole thing. The good thing about the game is that the relaxing atmosphere and its gameplay mechanics are weirdly addictive to a point where I basically completed most of the game in one sitting.

Chukhopops

I guess I’m almost at the end now. I liked what I played but I wish there was a bit more to it, it creates an interesting world and setting. 75/100 is fair indeed.

Make a sequel to Steamworld Heist next please.

I guess I’m almost at the end now. I liked what I played but I wish there was a bit more to it, it creates an interesting world and setting. 75/100 is fair indeed.

Make a sequel to Steamworld Heist next please.
Same here. I liked the game but there's so much potential that was left on the table. I guess they had budget constraints.

draliko

funny little game, a bit short but at least the story doesn't drag too much, small nice interesting world and concept, hope they do a sequel in the future.

Dibils2k

played it thx to gamepass, very basic but looks nice and i will likely keep playing

dont think i would have ever bought it though

Orbital2060

I tell you what you do in this game and you judge: You suck away a lot of Gunk, fight some enemies, you scan some stuff and there is some platforming and small riddles.
I would say it's some linear level design No Man Sky Super Mario stuff.
The Power Glove is basically the same mechanic as the Poltergust 3000 in Luigis Mansion.

I’m surprised by the mostly positive reception. Maybe because it has the nothing lost game pass caveat attached to it. I didn’t really enjoy this one much at all.
I don't think it has anything to to with Game Pass how people rate games, but what has to do with Game Pass is the question if people would have bought it without Game Pass.
Did i enjoy the game? Overall, yes. Would i have bought it day1 for 25 bucks? No.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

I’m surprised by the mostly positive reception. Maybe because it has the nothing lost game pass caveat attached to it. I didn’t really enjoy this one much at all.

I don't think it has anything to to with Game Pass how people rate games, but what has to do with Game Pass is the question if people would have bought it without Game Pass.
Did i enjoy the game? Overall, yes. Would i have bought it day1 for 25 bucks? No.
Agreed. I was really looking forward to this game. I wanted a chill relaxing platformer. It’s not an amazing game by any stretch, but it’s fun and enjoyable. Not worth the 29 or 39 or whatever, but worth the gamepass admission.

elliot5

I don’t think all game pass games are gonna get some mystical +2 on the 10 point scale or anything, but I do think there could be a slight easing of critical attitude towards a game if it’s on GP because it’s easy to not be invested in it with either time or money. Kind of the whole “perfect for game pass” mantra.

I don’t think all game pass games are gonna get some mystical +2 on the 10 point scale or anything, but I do think there could be a slight easing of critical attitude towards a game if it’s on GP because it’s easy to not be invested in it with either time or money. Kind of the whole “perfect for game pass” mantra.
Maybe some poeple think so, but to me crap is crap even if it's "for free" and a decent game is a decent game.

Jennings

I don't know how people can call this game relaxing. The constant bellyaching and non-stop arguing between the immature space crew constantly grated on my ears.

We get it, you're hungry, and that's all we get to hear about for the first 2-3 hours. One is the ultimate pig-headed child but has the gall to call the *other* one pig-headed during one of their many spats. These two morons are insufferable as protagonists. Maybe there's a good reason Mario and Luigi don't speak when they're saving the princess, because literally nobody cares what they have to say and gameplay comes first.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Finished it, that was good. I don’t get the discussion about it being worth 25 or not. Tons of indie games are 3-4 hours long and the cost to duration value is never taken into account in the reviews. Plenty of indies are excellent in that price range like Observation or Tacoma.

Whether you want to spend 25 on a 5 hour game is up to you really. If you have GP, well, it’s also up to you but you don’t have to pay any extra.

Got through to the end. Less than 5 percent of players according to the achievement.
This was an ok game C-.
fairly easy game if you just remember the few game mechanics. Hint. Look for those seed growing pools even on walls.
It unfortunately did that level thing I dont care for where here is a whole beautiful world to explore but were going to spend most of the time in dark dingy tunnels and artifact structures.
Many games seem to fall into this rutt. PSVR Moss spent too much time in dark dungeon instead of lush forests for example.

Game reminded me of an old 90’s anime called Key the Metal Idol. The Geist and the Gunk were a part of that show.

T-Cake

I'm only playing 10 or so minutes per day (each time an achievement pops, I stop) so it is slow progress. But I'm very intrigued by it so far.

mejin

What gamepass lacks is a quality check from MS. They are allowing anyone to jump in and not asking for anything in exchange.

Roberts

The thing about is that if we compare it to the previous games made by developer, The Gunk seems....a bit slight, isn't it? But now that they have made a transition from pixel-art to 3D, I can only imagine their next game will be a whole lot more eventful and have actually more to do.

John Bilbo

The thing about is that if we compare it to the previous games made by developer, The Gunk seems....a bit slight, isn't it? But now that they have made a transition from pixel-art to 3D, I can only imagine their next game will be a whole lot more eventful and have actually more to do.
Yes, I think Bilbo Baggins said it best: “The game feels thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.”

The mechanics of the game didn't really gel together that well and were way to simplistic until the end. There were some intriguing moments, but the full set of tools the player got during the game should have been the starting point of the game and they should have gotten more complex as the game progressed.

Beautiful graphics, nice music, but overall a lacking, simple game.

Seraphym

Finished it this morning, one missed achievement. I enjoyed it. Not on the level of the Steamworld games but didn't outstay its welcome.

Orbital2060

I remember the goo looking much much better when it was revealed.
It looks pretty good on a SX

09e77a1f-ef63-465b-83uzkc1.png

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Launched the game today and I got sucked. If I wouldn't have to go to work tomorrow I'd probably finish it in one sitting, that's how much I'm enjoying it. I feel like The Gunk is Kena done right, where all that walking around the world and exploration actually means and translates into something, you level up, unlock upgrades, gather material for those upgrades, progress with the story etc., unlike Kena with it constant backtracking just to artificially extend the playtime. I'm really surprised I like it so much, didn't think I would.

Banned
Launched the game today and I got sucked. If I wouldn't have to go to work tomorrow I'd probably finish it in one sitting, that's how much I'm enjoying it. I feel like The Gunk is Kena done right, where all that walking around the world and exploration actually means and translates into something, you level up, unlock upgrades, gather material for those upgrades, progress with the story etc., unlike Kena with it constant backtracking just to artificially extend the playtime. I'm really surprised I like it so much, didn't think I would.

what do you upgrade for exactly? all you do in that game (from the 1.5h I played it) is walking around endlessly followed by SUPER easy puzzles, with SUPER easy enemy encounters mixed in.
it feels like a game made for toddlers on how absolutely devoid of any challenge it is...

one of the upgrades is... SPRINT... so that speeds up all the walking. then another upgrade is faster sucking of gunk... which speeds up the completely devoid of challenge sucking of, well... gunk...
so to me, all the "upgrades" are either needed to advance and therefore completely meaningless in terms of upgrades, or they speed up monotonous filler stuff, which is 90% of the game from what I played

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
what do you upgrade for exactly? all you do in that game (from the 1.5h I played it) is walking around endlessly followed by SUPER easy puzzles, with SUPER easy enemy encounters mixed in.
it feels like a game made for toddlers on how absolutely devoid of any challenge it is...

one of the upgrades is... SPRINT... so that speeds up all the walking. then another upgrade is faster sucking of gunk... which speeds up the completely devoid of challenge sucking of, well... gunk...
so to me, all the "upgrades" are either needed to advance and therefore completely meaningless in terms of upgrades, or they speed up monotonous filler stuff, which is 90% of the game from what I played

It's not about the upgrades themselves and what they do, but about how you unlock them, it's all a very seamless progression, you just keep going forward and when you hit a point where you require a new skill to keep going further, you already have the upgdade unlocked and materials for it, plus some more skills.

Whereas in Kena in contrast, whenever you hit a wall you have to walk 2-3 miles to watch a cut-scene that unlocks the required skill, then you have to walk those 2-3 miles back, unlock the path, and quite soon you yet again reach a point that forces you to walk for miles just to watch another cut-scene... I understand it's a small indie game and they wanted to (artificially) extend the playtime, but that's IMO a terrible design choice.

T-Cake

Getting bored of this now, chapter 5. The sense of wonder has worn off and slogging through all the dark bits is getting a chore.

Dr.Morris79

I think I need this game to decompress after a session of dealing with Bassus and his gravity hammer in Halo :)

BTW, the beast in your profile picture is fantastic :messenger_grinning:
BASSUS!

I cant get past this massive arsehole! Had to restart mission and maybe upgrade a bit more. Drove me crazy that did.

SpokkX

Expected more if sn actual game here.. it is so simplistic I loose my interest in playing

feels made for children, except for the weird focus on dialogue and characters (which I dont care for at all)

i put it down after 2 hours - not nearly as good ss the steamworld games

Finally got back to this. Beat the
Gunk Tower

A lot of people really went out of their way to act like this game is terrible or excessively mediocre. I'm having a lot of fun with it and the graphics are pretty awesome. A huge step up in terms of graphics and tech for this team. Also, I'm pretty sure I have played at least 3 hours and it looks like I'm not even half way done.

Last edited:
Top Bottom