• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Gundam |OT2| Another 5 years of Gunpla, Origins, and GUNDAMUUUU!

Alright I bought a pack of Gundam Markers from my local comic shop.

What are they for? I have various colors and unless they double as paint (can I do red over a black piece for instance?), I'm not sure what the ideal use is.

And why did it come with a gunmetal grey fine tip? I've only ever seen black used in the photos and vids I've seen. Any idea where that would come in?

Grey fine tip is for panel lining. General rule is to use grey on white and light grey pieces, black on blue and dark grey parts, and brown on yellow and red.
Oh wow, thanks!

I also bought a brown fine tip, not knowing what it was since it was by itself and sealed. Now I know.

Edit: my EW Wing Zero just came in yesterday (I assembled it already) and I noticed the painting and line work on the package images which made me want to commit. At first, I was viewing the HGs as my starters and was gonna hold off until I went up a grade in the future.

Not looking forward to doing those tiny faces...

Alright I bought a pack of Gundam Markers from my local comic shop.

What are they for? I have various colors and unless they double as paint (can I do red over a black piece for instance?), I'm not sure what the ideal use is.

And why did it come with a gunmetal grey fine tip? I've only ever seen black used in the photos and vids I've seen. Any idea where that would come in?

i never was in love with the grey fine tip pen but if used correctly the details can look great.

check this video out to put them to use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95MD5IXiXqE

If the gun metal gray fine tip is the size of the other markers, then it's not for panel lining, it's for painting.

After looking again, it is not as fine tipped as my seperate brown one (which resembles the video quoted below) but it definitely isn't the same as the paint markers. Triangular tipped and barely works... is there another use for it?

i never was in love with the grey fine tip pen but if used correctly the details can look great.

check this video out to put them to use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95MD5IXiXqE
Thank you. That was helpful and I'll be viewing it for tips in the future.

So those painting markers, will they indeed cover black? I ask because I'd like to replace the stickers on my EW Deathscythe's black pieces if possible. Oh, I should try on the moulding!

So those painting markers, will they indeed cover black? I ask because I'd like to replace the stickers on my EW Deathscythe's black pieces if possible. Oh, I should try on the moulding!

You might need several layers to cover black effectively. Or any non-similar color. They work more like dropping the ink on the surface and then pushing it around. They are a weird product to be honest and I only use them for smaller parts, but I would assume with enough effort you can do a larger part. I usually use it for going over nub/sanded marks on same colors or what not.

----

I popped the box on my Altron and looked at the parts. Mannnn I'm so excited! but still coming down from my cold, so I will wait til maybe after Halloween to get cracking on it. Was surprised to see the yellow parts in it are actually an off yellow, mustard-y color.

MG ZZ Gundam Ver Ka is finished!

4fylWLu.jpg

I had them seperate as Core Top and Core Base before the final assembly, and then had a few fitting issues trying to combine them into G-Fortress mode, so I'll try transforming the entire thing without separating another day.

(noticed the tag on the left hand cover after taking the photo and snipped it, but I still like this shot so I kept it)

I really need that Mr. Mark Softer or w/e. A few decals still scratched off after topcoating, but oh well. As far as topcoating goes, I like the matte finish alot. Should I topcoat every kit from now on? XD

I really need that Mr. Mark Softer or w/e. A few decals still scratched off after topcoating, but oh well. As far as topcoating goes, I like the matte finish alot. Should I topcoat every kit from now on? XD

ZZ came out great! Nice job!

Yeah top coating makes the kits really pop. I was a skeptic until I started doing it and had that "oh wow it really does look better!" moment.

Speaking of top coating, my first Gunpla (well third, but first in my real gunpla making) R-Gyagya was only straight built. I look at it every now and then and want to paint it... Taking it apart might be a pain but it will look cool actually silver and gold!

No time for gunpla, but a million ideas in my head :(

Sup ya'll,

So I recently got back into Gunpla after A., just wanting to get back into an old hobby of mine, and B., watching IBO. I've been really enjoying the series (despite some minor gripes) and building Gunpla again after so long.

Most recently I built the Kimaris and the Ryusei-Go, mainly because they're some of my favorite designs, but also because they were pretty cheap on Amazon. First time ever using tools like clippers and a hobby knife. I used to just twist the parts off of the runners and build that way (*shudders). Also my first time panel lining with Gundam Markers and top-coating. They turned out really nice, although my camera quality can't really show off the finer points.
The Kimaris' antenna actually broke while I was trying to panel line the face, but after using some Tamiya glue I actually managed to fix it near-perfectly. Was really proud of myself for that.

There's not an easy way to take these apart is there? I've had trouble with the two parts I put together wrong on accident so I'm not looking forward to doing more of that when I go to seal the seams and do the line work and painting...

Edit: ^those look VERY nice.

yami4ct

Hey, peeps. Any Discord chats available for this group or nah?
Really like this community. :/

Not that I know of. I'll set one up so we have a backup just in case shit goes real sideways

Edit:
Alright. Here you go. If we need to I'll go deeper into getting it cleaned up, but here's a skeleton we can work to get people on for now.

Quote to reveal

Not that I know of. I'll set one up so we have a backup just in case shit goes real sideways

Edit:
Alright. Here you go. If we need to I'll go deeper into getting it cleaned up, but here's a skeleton we can work to get people on for now.
Probs put it in an email quote so only members can access it, mate.

Reddit? I can't think of anywhere else...

I can't get over the aesthetic of Reddit. Ugh.

We lost a lot of good English language Gundam resources over the last few years. Gunota, Red Shoulders, GundamGuy, etc. All gone. There is GunJap, but it's mostly models and in Italian for the most part.

AALLx

Yaaay, Gundam OT is back :)

No duckroll though :(

I can't get over the aesthetic of Reddit. Ugh.

We lost a lot of good English language Gundam resources over the last few years. Gunota, Red Shoulders, GundamGuy, etc. All gone. There is GunJap, but it's mostly models and in Italian for the most part.

GAF is the best for minimizing a small browser window and procrastinating at work.

Just half dead.

What are some other good Gundam resources?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/ is great and a very positive subreddit

GundamKitsCollection as mentioned above, though 90% of posts are custom builds

And then mostly youtube videos: Second Soundwave for news, ZakuAurelius for news and reviews, Mecha Gaikotsu, Prime92, etc

If you're just looking for how-to stuff, youtube's probably still the best

firelogic

Just half dead.

What are some other good Gundam resources?

On youtube we've got Gundam Holic, Bunker Pla, and Gunpla Lab but they're all in Korean for the most part. Sometimes they'll have English captions. Bunker and Lab both do customizations while Holic does straight builds with panel lining. He puts up content practically daily and does really thorough reviews. Also a full build every week.

AALLx

Sure. It'd be nice if the OT is moving, problem is the lack of posters (not that I'm helping, even here or over there, I'm not very active either). I'll probably start posting Gunpla builds here again to contribute with thread movement.

Last edited:

raven_mk3_18

Neo Member
Just waiting for SD Gundam Cross wars. Finally a gundam game that is super robot wars for gundam fans. I know there are for other platforms but a mainly play games off steam

Top Bottom