• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The greatest games, are the games with shit graphics

Fbh

Skyrim with the never ending bugs and awful combat let the gameplay do the talking?
Anyway, bad thread premise when all of those games were considered to look good back when they launched.

elder scrolls walking GIF by CORSAIR

Super Mario 64 GIF

legend of zelda nintendo GIF

metal gear solid ghost babel GIF

final fantasy GIF

All these games, allowed their gameplay to do the talking.

Too much graphics takes the fun of the gameplay.

Sea of theives doesn't have great graphics. Instead it relies on artistic beauty, and the gameplay, to give you a good journey.
All of which had extremely advanced graphics for their respective systems....

VAVA Mk2

Super Mario 64 GIF

final fantasy GIF

Sea of theives doesn't have great graphics. Instead it relies on artistic beauty, and the gameplay, to give you a good journey.
Sea of Thieves likely has the best water in any game along with Forza Horizon 5 and Microsoft Flight Sim.

All those older games looked great for their time. Are you sure you’re not trying to argue that older games are better than modern games?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I think the point OP is trying to make, is that great content and gameplay is more important than great frame rate and graphics

And I don’t disagree with that. But yeah, maybe the way you’re trying to make that point is a little off. But you’re right about graphics not being everything. People around here here treat it like it’s the most important aspect of a game, smh

Well excuse me for wanting ultra detailed spectators and trees in my racing game when I blast past them at 180mph game sucks otherwise /s

Last edited:

Zannegan

Why not instead say that a game can be good regardless of its graphics? Or better yet, that great graphics can elevate a game, but aren't absolutely required for greatness? Setting the two up as opposites seems silly and needlessly combative.

The only place I can see your point is when a game has nothing but its graphics going for it, but taking away the team's ability to make the game beautiful wouldn't necessarily have improved anything else about the final product, so even there I can't agree. It doesn't help the discussion that most of us aren't really equipped to separate graphics from art direction anyway.

Last edited:

kuncol02

Banned

Super Mario 64 GIF

final fantasy GIF

Literally all that games were graphical marvels when they were released.

mrabott

Super Mario 64 GIF

final fantasy GIF

Are you NUTS!!! All these game had amazing graphics for their time.

Please, don't talk such nonsenses!

mortal

Gold Member
Your argument is flawed when you cite titles that were also considered visually groundbreaking for their time.

Super Mario 64 and FFVII?

EC871elWkAAp5Sm.jpg

Super Mario 64 GIF

final fantasy GIF

What year is it? Are you 15? All those games were top tier graphics when they came out (except maybe MGS1 which isn't the right picture btw...)

KellyM

Super Mario 64 GIF

final fantasy GIF

But at the time of the release these games had great graphics. So your point and void.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I like beautiful visuals as much as the next guy but the level of obsession over graphics in GAF have become very obnoxious.
They ignore or downright shit on any game if the graphics doesn’t meet their standard.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Half Life Alyx. Best VR game I’ve played also has the best graphics.

Fools idol

Banned
Depends - I think some old games with outdated graphics still look great. I was playing Arcanum the other day and fell in love with it's charming infinity engine-ness.

Arsic

Gold Member
Most shit graphics games by today standards were great back in the day. Mario and Zelda were God like visuals when they came out.

For modern games the vast majority do not have shit visuals or art styles that people rave about.

I don't like breath of the wild but that game is quite the looker IMO.

Zelda ff7 MGS and Mario all had great graphics for the time tho didnt they? When I was a kid I remember them being crazy looking.

I do agree tho a lot of the best games don’t prioritize graphics

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
None of those games had "shit graphics" when they were released. SM64 in particular was mind-blowing. But all of them were peak AAA at the time. So this entire premise is very flawed, and pretty dumb.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
As a 2012 backer, fuck CR and Star Citizen...

BUT, if someone had implemented the same game idea with simple graphics (ie - cell shading), I'd enjoy the shit out of that game. They wasted so much time on looking cutting edge and now even that is falling behind.

Duchess

Many years ago I once argued on GameFAQs that gameplay >>> graphics.

I got mauled for that comment back then.

I then asked those that had laid into me whether, if they were going to be stuck on a desert island for a year, they would take Space Ace or Rogue (ASCII version) with them as their only game to play.

Naturally, they gave the politician response of answering the question without actually answering the question, but there you go :)

Aenima

FF7 when came out for PS1 and PC was always a very good looking game, and the CG cutscenes was mindblowing.

Top Bottom