• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The greatest games, are the games with shit graphics

kingfey

Banned
elder scrolls walking GIF by CORSAIR

Super Mario 64 GIF

legend of zelda nintendo GIF

metal gear solid ghost babel GIF

final fantasy GIF

All these games, allowed their gameplay to do the talking.

Too much graphics takes the fun of the gameplay.

Sea of theives doesn't have great graphics. Instead it relies on artistic beauty, and the gameplay, to give you a good journey.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Well kind of, New Vegas, Alpha Protocol, etc. Best games have pretty shit graphics, at least for me.

Raekwon26

Maybe watch this first.

My first experience was like this. The way the waves moves, the lonely of the sea, and knowing you are in the middle of the sea with no direction is quite scary.

On other hand, the character design are something else.

Sea of Thieves has no business being listed with those other games.

This thread is piss poor. You have a habit of making shitty threads.

kingfey

Banned
Sea of Thieves has no business being listed with those other games.

This thread is piss poor. You have a habit of making shitty threads.
Sea of theives doesn't get close to those games. It was just example. It doesn't hold a candle to the games that I listed.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Souls has awful graphics what you smoking? Only souls game that had decent graphics demon souls on ps3 and dark souls 3, dark souls 2 got down graded to oblivion and bloodbourne looks ok fobut for a ps4 exclusive it could of looked way better
are we really doing this now?
These are some of best looking games and it's an objective fact.
Both technically and art.

Have you played Dark Soul 3 on pc in 4k ? There is so much geometric detail
Bit extreme but check out this 8k footage. Bloodborne would look fantastic in 4k.

Dark Souls 1 still looks good too. held up better than other games from 2011 for me.
Dark Soul 2 have some very rough spots true. but some areas look great

Chukhopops

Is OP saying that Mario 64 and OOT were not impressive graphically when they came out???

Back then they were mind blowing coming from the 16 but era and even compared to early PSX games.

But I agree with the general premise, XCOM UFO Defense is my favorite game and even when it came out it looked like shit, still the best though.

Shut0wen

are we really doing this now?
These are some of best looking games and it's an objective fact.
Both technically and art.

Have you played Dark Soul 3 on pc in 4k ? There is so much geometric detail
Bit extreme but check out this 8k footage. Bloodborne would look fantastic in 4k.

Dark Souls 1 still looks good too. held up better than other games from 2011 for me.
Dark Soul 2 have some very rough spots true. but some areas look great

I never said dark souls 3 looked like shit, but 1 and 2 definitely do and i can name probably about 10 games from 2011 that to this day still look better then dark souls 1, not saying they are unplayable because they aint but 1 and 2s graphics are pretty shocking even back in 2011 it looked bad

RAIDEN1

Sensible Soccer! I don't give a dam of how realistic the players look on e-football the debacle that it is from Konami, in the gameplay side sensible soccer likely beats it

Topher

Gold Member
It does.

Most of the time, developers spend alot of time cranking those graphics, instead of expanding the gameplay of the game. So you end up with games like assassin creed, cyberpunk2077.

So now it is "most of the time"? You made an emphatic statement that you can't have one without the other.

CS Lurker

M64 and OoT had shit graphics? What?

Anyway, I don't think a game needs to have great graphics to be good (nor that a graphical showcase is gonna be a great game because of that alone). Actually, I believe a great art direction is the most important thing for a great visual.
The thing is: how much resources a game is gonna use just to look great? That is what matters for me. I prefer they use their budget for the gameplay than for raw graphics and motion captures, etc. If you can ensure a great gameplay AND great graphics, sure. Why not

Spaceman292

Banned

Super Mario 64 GIF

final fantasy GIF

Sea of theives doesn't have great graphics. Instead it relies on artistic beauty, and the gameplay, to give you a good journey.
You mean old games have shit graphics. Which is true... because they're old.

kingfey

Banned
Red Dead Redemption 2 laughs in your face.
While Arthur story is interesting, it doesn't close to what the first game did.

It made people like a shit character. A character who was at the lowest of his life, becoming a good man. And the ending was gut wrenching.

I like the way they made rd2. But it doesn't come close to 1.

JimboJones

While I agree to a certain extent the industry heavily relies on GRAFIX! being a show case and giving it a lot of attention, choosing games which where both artistically and technical giants for their time is hardly doing your argument any favours.
They are basically showcases for you can have your cake and eat it!

Last edited:

Tschumi

I disagree, i think the best games look good enough at release, but it is the way in which their visuals match their gameplay that they shine

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I never said dark souls 3 looked like shit, but 1 and 2 definitely do and i can name probably about 10 games from 2011 that to this day still look better then dark souls 1, not saying they are unplayable because they aint but 1 and 2s graphics are pretty shocking even back in 2011 it looked bad
2 Is not a technical marvel. I like the art and atmosphere... but graphics are nice in some areas like majula or heide.
1 genuinely looked very good in 2011 and I still think looks good. Very nice specular lighting, texture detal and so on. It's not a crazy powerhouse but it is a great looking game with great gameplay.

Kev Kev

I think the point OP is trying to make, is that great content and gameplay is more important than great frame rate and graphics

And I don’t disagree with that. But yeah, maybe the way you’re trying to make that point is a little off. But you’re right about graphics not being everything. People around here here treat it like it’s the most important aspect of a game, smh

Last edited:

Super Mario 64 GIF

final fantasy GIF

Those games had amazing graphics at the time.

Mario 64 is a classic, but if it came out today, in that condition, it'd be a disaster with that camera and several design decisions in the later levels.

Nostalgia here buddy.

Super Mario 64 GIF

final fantasy GIF

You have to realize that games like FF7, when they launched, were actually graphically amazing games. The cutscenes in that game were better than anything else at the time. Sure, they look bad now, but in the 90s, they were shockingly good. You can't compare them to today's standard and expect them to hold up

Top Bottom