• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great Ace Attorney Personal Hype Thread!

R6Rider

Gold Member
I might give that game a try but for now I'm stacked with games, I still haven't finished SMTIII and FFVIIR INTERGRADE and I have Great Ace Attorney, No More Heroes III, Tales of Arise, SMT5 and Advance War 1&2 in upcoming months.
Understandable. It's a fairly long game with plenty of stuff to do, but the characters and stupid fun things you do are completely worth it. So when/if you ever get low on games to get, I highly recommend.

Never tried them or watched really anything about the series. Will I find interest in it like I find interest in 8+ hour deposition videos?
Capcom put out some good and fairly brief gameplay trailers that explain everything going on and showcase a lot of the charm of the series.

But long story short, yeah you'll like them because how could anyone not like Ace Attorney?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
how could anyone not like Ace Attorney?
FACT!!!
Phoenix_and_Document_1.gif

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I played DGS1 back when the fan translation came out a couple of years ago, and my biggest disappointment with it was the low amount of witnesses/suspects for each case. It made it ridiculously easy to deduce who the culprit was in every case just by simple elimination, sometimes before I even finished the first day of investigation.

I hope DGS2 doesn't suffer from that same problem, but I'm quite hyped to play it nonetheless!
The setting is very different though. I think it makes sense that in the late 1800s the legal system had to deal with apparently much simpler cases, also the game‘s theme mainly revolves around prejudice (towards the suspects, and towards the protagonist as well). It kinda makes sense that most of the effort went into the courtroom showdowns. That the game is mostly about our lawyer going against a very low-effort, complacent system is also clear when you think that Naruhodou always has to correct fucking Sherlock Holmes and his straight-out-of-the-ass “deductions”.

SuperGooey

What's everyone's favorite Ace Attorney game? I only recently played through the first one, and loved it! Started the second Pheonix Wright, and I'm not feeling it as much. Does the series get better than the first?

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
What's everyone's favorite Ace Attorney game? I only recently played through the first one, and loved it! Started the second Pheonix Wright, and I'm not feeling it as much. Does the series get better than the first?
Many people believe the second was the weakest (I personally loved it), but the third one is considered the best of the original trilogy.

You'll probably enjoy the later games more than Justice for All. They have better cases, characters, etc.

Last edited:
The 2nd game is the worst in the original trilogy, which still makes it a great game. I remember thinking there was a huge difficulty spike back in the day, but when I replayed the series after I got older I actually really appreciated that. Plus it added Pearl, so you gatta love that.

Consensus wise, the games that are most frequently cited as top tier AA are 1,3, Investigations 2 and the GAA duology. I tend to think Ace Investigations 1 gets somewhat short shrift because the 2nd is so fire. It's also a great game, but that last case does drag on pretty badly.

Danjin44

For now, first Trilogy are my favourites and from that 3rd game is my favourite.

Last edited:
Got done playing the triology last year, and just now finished Apollo Justice, super fun games, really love them, it rejuvinated me games wise again i have not found games fun really in the last years But Ace Attorney turned it around, maybe my tastes are just different now, or maybe its just quality compared to the generic trash that 95% of developers release now. Looking forward to finishing the rest of the games in a relaxed manner.

Is there a physical release for this game on switch or digital only? if so i will buy it asap.

Also do you guys have any similar games to recomend? adventure ish style, never really played any adventure games before so its fun for me (oh i have played danganronpa 1-2)

Last edited:

Danjin44

Also do you guys have any similar games to recomend? adventure ish style, never really played any adventure games before so its fun for me (oh i have played danganronpa 1-2)
387276-zero-escape-the-nonary-games-playstation-4-front-cover.jpg
113073bIT0lVUqtLCBlaIWS1Clq3HzXudG4q0U0Ii4I1C_k4ZGNkrY_nCBFtOMp5EfnqcCjaMyH9Rnw9hkfuluxcYk8NFHiw.png
bIsL7LdWIVw9V46oHJ0PIwZv.png

s there a physical release for this game on switch or digital only? if so i will buy it asap.
Yes:

Last edited:

BigBooper

Nice. I liked the DS games, despite their case solutions seeming very illogical at times, but haven't kept up with the new ones at all. Will be interested to hear how well they're translated.

Got done playing the triology last year, and just now finished Apollo Justice, super fun games, really love them, it rejuvinated me games wise again i have not found games fun really in the last years But Ace Attorney turned it around, maybe my tastes are just different now, or maybe its just quality compared to the generic trash that 95% of developers release now. Looking forward to finishing the rest of the games in a relaxed manner.

Is there a physical release for this game on switch or digital only? if so i will buy it asap.

Other Japanese Adventure Games that I've enjoyed: Zero Escape series, AI The Somnium Files, Spirit Hunter games (Death Mark & NG), Hotel Dusk Room 215, Last Window: The Secret of Cape West, Another Code, Another Code R: Journey Into Lost Memories and Ghost Trick. Also, I haven't played The Silver Case or it's sequel 25th Ward yet, but I've heard very good things from people I trust.

Spirit Hunter Series:
m9Fk700.png
DUGL2OI_d.webp

Zero Escape Series:
71+NpBjATjL._SL1280_.jpg

zeroescape2.jpg

20170410074616_1-1.jpg

AI: The Somnium Files:
AI-The-Somnium-Files-Nanocables.jpg

Somnium-Files-3.jpg

Hotel Dusk & Last Window:
350px-NTR_Hotel_Dusk_215_ss02.png

ixhgqi79z1gdfoxsncua.jpg

13185.jpg

Another Code Series:
325809-trace-memory-nintendo-ds-screenshot-describing-jessica-to.png

10506.jpg

wii_anothercoderajourneyintolostmemories_shot1.jpg

Ghost Trick:
images

maxresdefault.jpg

Some western adventure games also worth checking out if you enjoy AA are: Detective Grimoire & Tangle Tower, 2064 Read Only Memories, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon (not, strictly speaking, a mystery game but it's got a unique sensibility with a fantastic cast of characters like AA) and Technobabylon (one of my personal faves)

Detective Grimoire & Tangle Tower:
ss_67355c72d325287de0fee7fbeac87a265bb2f7ac.600x338.jpg

ss_46e3af092c6eb947a6dbe97f312a5ecd48c318f0.600x338.jpg

ss_582db340947839d6608772722ead35383e866455.600x338.jpg

ss_519efb4de46d158e9a16ed1b388e20d01f143636.600x338.jpg

2064: Read Only Memories:
ss_a73fa57542c400e1fa40e88479e24a90faac1425.600x338.jpg

ss_8ef0954eaf3af62aea569d18ebf8ce149e3688dc.600x338.jpg

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon:
callahans_screenshot1.jpg

YWNWoy_oZX-isoXsEjTR1CUysOB0Kc3AFl1wIMNNYazugaw8mxy5P7Ah6eB2zkEhFXcxC2rQH1Z3yIy_NtHy6eiMMYObn1glUyFViDodiBnItIrjojQi-g

callahan-s-crosstime-saloon_11.jpg

Technobabylon:
ss_50262efa04c106e57817381febeea3453689e58c.1920x1080.jpg

35-1200x750.jpg

ss_ca3caadff37a71dbaf4b06acb0ed9e1ffa81b46b.1920x1080.jpg

So many more great titles as well, but these are some good places to look. Personally, I absolutely adore Tangle Tower as a murder mystery adventure game, oozes charm and dosen't take up too much of your time. So you can't go wrong there.

Nico_D

For now, first Trilogy are my favourites and from that 3rd game is my favourite.

Imo the third game has some of the best cases (and The Best, the finale) but also one of the worst with "Recipe". Quality-wise, i think the first one is the most even. I don't think there's a bad case.

Many people seem to dislike the Circus case in the 2nd game but I like that, the murder is very clever. But I don't like the final case of JFA at all - it gets slightly more interesting in the final 3rd or so but to get there is excruciating.

Danjin44

Imo the third game has some of the best cases (and The Best, the finale) but also one of the worst with "Recipe". Quality-wise, i think the first one is the most even. I don't think there's a bad case.

Many people seem to dislike the Circus case in the 2nd game but I like that, the murder is very clever. But I don't like the final case of JFA at all - it gets slightly more interesting in the final 3rd or so but to get there is excruciating.
I think because the 3rd game is the longest compare to the first two, so it might feel like it’s taking it’s sweet time to get to there.

New video from fantastic video essayist Bowl of Lentils. Goes over the inception of AA vs Layton, the troubles of that game's development and how it impacted future games in the series including Great Ace Attorney. Really good summary of a lot of interesting behind the scenes AA history.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I thought these games were more visual novel than anything else and pretty much wrote it off; does the "case solving/courtroom" gameplay make for an effective puzzle game?

Danjin44

I thought these games were more visual novel than anything else and pretty much wrote it off; does the "case solving/courtroom" gameplay make for an effective puzzle game?
For me personally those Courtroom sections can as exciting as any game with combat and boss fights....especially when this music plays.

Impotaku

They are a bit of both, you have to examine sites for clues and talk to characters outside the courtroom as you build a file of evidence which you'll then refer back to when you are in the court defending. The court battles are really fun, slowly picking apart a testimony and watching their case of lies unravel in front of you.

The Ace Attorney series is a quintessential example of a the Japanese adventure game genre, specifically detective adventures like those popularized in the early 80s by games like Yuji Horii's Portopia Serial Murder Case or the early RiverhillSoft games like Murder Club. Puzzles in the form of mystery solving are an integral part of the genre. Distinct from the typical western adventure but with a lot of overlap. Broadly speaking, your average western adventure has you investigate and gather items to use on the environment to perform a physical action, whereas the common design of a Japanese adventure has you investigate and gather items to use in some form of reasoning or deduction mechanic. VNs spun off of games like Ace Attorney in the mid 90s, as a simplified take on Adventure games that reduced interaction & problem solving to just narrative choices, but a game like AA is distinct from that design lineage.

For me, one of the things that makes AA so addictive is how fun its core mechanic is. Finding contradictions in witness testimony is a great way to feel like you're solving a mystery while still keeping the narrative directed enough to not sacrifice the overall pace of things. I think there's definitely a reason so many other games have ripped it off. It also doesn't hurt that the music/presentation/overall hype surrounding those big turnabouts kicks so much ass.

Last edited:

Just say "fuck it" and go blind, get the original trilogy on Steam. I wrote the entire franchise off for like a decade until i decided out of sheer boredom to give the first one a try on the DS in 2015ish. I think i finished all three of them in less than two weeks, which is a phenomenal accomplishment given that i barely play a handful of video games per year. And they're not short game, the first one is like 25 hours long.

The characters are incredibly endearing, memorable and well written, they'll stick long after you're done. The cases, the overall story, the whole thing is just very unique and intriguing. The gameplay consists of deductive puzzle solving, building your cases and confronting what may be the person which committed the crime at hand, but it's much more than that - there are twists, turns, and an epic fucking soundtrack.

I don't even like the rest of the series at all, i couldn't care less about the title in the OP.. and visual novels aren't my thing. But the original trilogy, which is thankfully on Steam in an updated fashion, is something special absolutely worth experiencing at least once in your life.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
For me personally those Courtroom sections can as exciting as any game with combat and boss fights....especially when this music plays.

They are a bit of both, you have to examine sites for clues and talk to characters outside the courtroom as you build a file of evidence which you'll then refer back to when you are in the court defending. The court battles are really fun, slowly picking apart a testimony and watching their case of lies unravel in front of you.

I'm going to have to check this out then; I love a good puzzle game. Legit didn't think these games were that in depth in terms of the puzzling.

Just say "fuck it" and go blind, get the original trilogy on Steam. I wrote the entire franchise off for like a decade until i decided out of sheer boredom to give the first one a try on the DS in 2015ish. I think i finished all three of them in less than two weeks, which is a phenomenal accomplishment given that i barely play a handful of video games per year. And they're not short game, the first one is like 25 hours long.

The characters are incredibly endearing, memorable and well written, they'll stick long after you're done. The cases, the overall story, the whole thing is just very unique and intriguing. The gameplay consists of deductive puzzle solving, building your cases and confronting what may be the person which committed the crime at hand, but it's much more than that - there are twists, turns, and an epic fucking soundtrack.

I don't even like the rest of the series at all, i couldn't care less about the title in the OP.. and visual novels aren't my thing. But the original trilogy, which is thankfully on Steam in an updated fashion, is something special absolutely worth experiencing at least once in your life.

Yeah I grabbed it. At worst it's a good VN and I love a Visual Novel especially if it has good non-reading gameplay (Nonary Games for example, although I guess Danganronpa is the better comparison).

The reviews are coming in and they're coming in hot! Currently at 88 on metacritic for switch and 84 for ps4.

"If you always wanted to know where to get into this series, it’s here. If you’ve been a fan of these games for years, then you should not pass on The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles. It breathes new life into the franchise, showing that there is still plenty of potential for unique stories to be told. They raise the bar for not only Ace Attorney, but the entire adventure game genre. "
- Nintendo Insider 10/10

"Both the Deductions and Summation Examinations are really strong additions to the tried-and-true Ace Attorney formula. They blend in naturally with the gameplay, use a lot of the same verbiage as the regular investigation or cross-examination sections, and really emphasize Naruhodo’s growing ability to deduce and discover the truth behind these situations."
- Destructoid 9/10

"The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles isn’t perfect, but it’s the closest that the series has ever been to that lofty goal. These games are Shu Takumi at his absolute best, and it’s a blessing that western players finally have the chance to play them without resorting to fan translations. Whether you’re a new fan, or have been with the series from the very beginning, I can’t recommend The Great Ace Attorney: Chronicles enough."
-RPG Site 9/10

(couldn't use actual quotes/links cuz I'm on mobile and they're not working for some reason.)

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Never played the series but always thought it looked interesting. Could someone recommend where to start? Would be interested in digital only; I have access to PlayStation, Switch and PC.

Danjin44

Never played the series but always thought it looked interesting. Could someone recommend where to start? Would be interested in digital only; I have access to PlayStation, Switch and PC.
Great Ace Attorney has its own stand alone story but highly recommend you playing first trilogy because they are very, VERY fun and be a shame to miss out.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Great Ace Attorney has its own stand alone story but highly recommend you playing first trilogy because they are very, VERY fun and be a shame to miss out.

The original trilogy is still great. I think it's available in all three platforms, for sure on the eShop and Steam. Goes on sale pretty regularly too.

Thanks guys. Any reason to play it on one platform vs another or should I just get it wherever it's cheapest?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
The 2nd game is the worst in the original trilogy, which still makes it a great game. I remember thinking there was a huge difficulty spike back in the day, but when I replayed the series after I got older I actually really appreciated that. Plus it added Pearl, so you gatta love that.

Consensus wise, the games that are most frequently cited as top tier AA are 1,3, Investigations 2 and the GAA duology. I tend to think Ace Investigations 1 gets somewhat short shrift because the 2nd is so fire. It's also a great game, but that last case does drag on pretty badly.

I want to play investigations 2 so badly. After the release of GAA, it’s become the last one to be localized, my personal white whale.

Nico_D

I want to play investigations 2 so badly. After the release of GAA, it’s become the last one to be localized, my personal white whale.

I was pretty badly disappointed by it. I played only the first two cases or so. I had read people saying it's great but I thought it didn't have the heart or the brains the main series has.

There's a really good fan translation available, occasionally dubious pop culture references aside. I think it's worth it to just play that because it doesn't seem like Capcom will circle the block for Ace Investigations 2 anytime soon/ever.

Top Bottom