• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Great Ace Attorney |OT| Herlock Sholmes on the case!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
GAA2 def gets more like that by the end, there's some pretty clever stumpers (GAA1 may as well but I cant really recall specific deductions at this point).
In GAA1 I like the deduction of how John Garrideb's house and his Maid(Wife) became a mess, at first I thought it was the cat in Soseki's room what caused the the mess.

I believe this is somewhat of an unpopular opinion, but I thought 1-4 and (DGS2 spoilers? I guess) 2-2 weren't that good, to be honest. Even the cases that came before them in their respective games were more satisfying to solve for me (with the exception of 1-2, which I thought was one of the worst cases in the series), perhaps because of the difference in intensity or "charges" when compared to the rest of the series. If for some reason anyone is unconvinced or disappointed after 1-2/1-4, I highly recommend you keep going. DGS2 is a vast improvement over the first one and it's full of surprises that make you even second-guess yourself at times.

I just finished 2-3 a few mins ago, by the way, and it was a fantastic experience! Incredibly high stakes, well-woven plot twists (for the most part), and a surprisingly big cast of charming and memorable characters. I can see where the budget went this time around lol. I'm so hyped to keep going that I've put aside some stuff to make sure I can play as much as possible tonight.

Last edited:

RNG

For those that are playing on PC there's a hack where you can get the animations to run @ 60fps, they look so much smoother now. All you have to do is drag and drop the files and adjust the dgs.ini included in the .zip.

Nico_D

I believe this is somewhat of an unpopular opinion, but I thought 1-4 and (DGS2 spoilers? I guess) 2-2 weren't that good, to be honest. Even the cases that came before them in their respective games were more satisfying to solve for me (with the exception of 1-2, which I thought was one of the worst cases in the series), perhaps because of the difference in intensity or "charges" when compared to the rest of the series. If for some reason anyone is unconvinced or disappointed after 1-2/1-4, I highly recommend you keep going. DGS2 is a vast improvement over the first one and it's full of surprises that make you even second-guess yourself at times.

Good to hear because that is how I have been feeling. Don’t get me wrong: everything is top-notch but the build-up and the turning point of the cases is not as good as it was in the original cases. That one spesific moment when Phoenix (and the player shortly after) realize but really happened.

That is not the case in DSG1 at least and I miss that. Still the characters (Roli!) are exceptionally well done and so is everything else, even the scenarios. Solving them just isn't quite as exhilarating.

I will see how that changes in DGS2.

In GAA1 I like the deduction of how John Garrideb's house and his Maid(Wife) became a mess, at first I thought it was the cat in Soseki's room what caused the the mess.
Got to love Zieks reaction to the reveal. First he say Garrideb retirement is not as "peaceful" as he claim. Then when Garrideb talk of hellish fire strike Zieks say it is Hell on earth.

Danjin44

Got to love Zieks reaction to the reveal. First he say Garrideb retirement is not as "peaceful" as he claim. Then when Garrideb talk of hellish fire strike Zieks say it is Hell on earth.
The character GAA are sooo good and the animation sell on their personalities so well. I finished GAA1 and currently on Ep 2 of GAA2 and as much as I LOVED the 2D animation the previous games I can safely say GAA's animation surpassed it.

I always had mixed feelings about the localizations of the AA games, taking huge liberties including some that made no sense (like saying they were in California and the. Like taking a drive to a nearby Japanese village) but this seems to go hard the other way, a little too literal.

I absolutely hate that they swapped "Hold it" for "Yes". Makes no sense.
Yeah, i never like the original California and name localization. I made me wonder why through, there were plenty of games that take place in japan without need to change the setting to California and change ramen to burger. That why i also try to defer to chinese translation for 1-4. 5-6 i have no choice as there were any fan trans for those.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Yeah, i never like the original California and name localization. I made me wonder why through, there were plenty of games that take place in japan without need to change the setting to California and change ramen to burger. That why i also try to defer to chinese translation for 1-4. 5-6 i have no choice as there were any fan trans for those.

I always thought japanifornia was cute.

Good to hear because that is how I have been feeling. Don’t get me wrong: everything is top-notch but the build-up and the turning point of the cases is not as good as it was in the original cases. That one spesific moment when Phoenix (and the player shortly after) realize but really happened.

That is not the case in DSG1 at least and I miss that. Still the characters (Roli!) are exceptionally well done and so is everything else, even the scenarios. Solving them just isn't quite as exhilarating.

I will see how that changes in DGS2.
Aye, honestly other than 1-3, I was not a huge fan of DGS1 in general. I still think it's worth playing, because it's basically a requirement for properly enjoying DGS2, which is much better in basically every aspect except for that case I mentioned in my previous post. I do have some issues involving DGS2-4 and 2-5, but it appears that not many people here are done with the game yet so I'd rather not post about it in case someone accidentally spoils him/herself.

Danjin44

Aye, honestly other than 1-3, I was not a huge fan of DGS1 in general. I still think it's worth playing, because it's basically a requirement for properly enjoying DGS2, which is much better in basically every aspect except for that case I mentioned in my previous post. I do have some issues involving DGS2-4 and 2-5, but it appears that not many people here are done with the game yet so I'd rather not post about it in case someone accidentally spoils him/herself.
I'm really enjoyed my time with DGS1 but without 2nd game it does feel incomplete.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So finished 1-3 and uh that was a very much non conventional case.

Takumi is clearly experimenting with his formula.

RNG

Latest versions for the DGS fps hack get updated in this link if any one is interested (PC only):

I couldn't do the jury examination mini-game with the old one (v4) but the latest version fixed that particular bug for me (v8).

Fuz

Banned
I always had mixed feelings about the localizations of the AA games, taking huge liberties including some that made no sense (like saying they were in California and the. Like taking a drive to a nearby Japanese village) but this seems to go hard the other way, a little too literal.

3ca.png

FStubbs

Overall I liked it and I'm glad we got all 10 "cases" in one game. Not only for the cost, but because it really all felt like one game.

Also - I get the feeling the creator got the idea for this setting from his work in Layton vs Ace Attorney; much like IIRC Yuji Horii said DQ7 was inspired by Chrono Trigger.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Also - I get the feeling the creator got the idea for this setting from his work in Layton vs Ace Attorney; much like IIRC Yuji Horii said DQ7 was inspired by Chrono Trigger.
From what I read it he had actually had the idea for this game based around redirecting Sherlock Homes before Ace Attorney even, and he just kind of bolted it onto AA to pitch it to Capcom.

daxgame

Honestly I think those adaptations were just embarassing and often broke my suspension of disbelief. Staying more in line with the original makes sense.
Where was "Hold it" swapped for "Yes"? I swear I just played the game and didn't remember that at all, I'm confused. If it was done that seems more a real mistake than going literal

That said I just finished both games, and I absolutely loved them. Takumi's writing is as amazing as ever. And the music was great as always too.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Honestly I think those adaptations were just embarassing and often broke my suspension of disbelief. Staying more in line with the original makes sense.
Where was "Hold it" swapped for "Yes"? I swear I just played the game and didn't remember that at all, I'm confused. If it was done that seems more a real mistake than going literal

That said I just finished both games, and I absolutely loved them. Takumi's writing is as amazing as ever. And the music was great as always too.
Maybe it's not swapping but it doesn't translate. Like someone will tell Ryonosuke "You're definitely the killer" and he'll yell "Yes!"

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I'm on case 2 of Resolve.

I have to say, starting the game with that case feels like it breaks the tempo up a bit...

Overall I liked it and I'm glad we got all 10 "cases" in one game. Not only for the cost, but because it really all felt like one game.

The setting itself seems to come from Shu Takumi's lifelong love of detective fiction. So when Capcom approached him to make a new AA that was seperate from the mainline series he reached into this huge grab-bag of ideas he'd been saving up for years.

Interviewer: And now there's the release of Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 (“The Grand Turnabout Trial 2”). Could you tell us how this project came to be?

Takumi: I myself left the series after making Gyakuten Saiban 4 (Ace Attorney 4 - Apollo Justice), and fortunately another team took over and created Gyakuten Saiban 5 (Ace Attorney 5 - Dual Destinies) and Gyakuten Saiban 6 (Ace Attorney 6 - Spirit of Justice). In 2013, I was asked if I wanted to make another Gyakuten Saiban, separate from the main, numbered series. That was the direct cause.

Interviewer: So it was an order from your company to make a new title?

Takumi: Yes. There’s the main, numbered Gyakuten Saiban series, so I first started to think about how I could differentiate this new title from that. I decided to do the most obvious thing, change the time period and setting. There was a big reason why I decided to have the game set at the end of the nineteenth century. With Gyakuten Saiban 1, 2 and 3, I felt I had used up most of the best parts of mystery fiction. So I started to think about what new things I could come up with for a new series, and that’s when I came up with two key terms: classic mystery and Sherlock Holmes. Holmes was born in the late nineteenth century, became a big hit and with that the detective genre was perfected, or it became enormous popular at the very least. When I was little, Japanese mystery fiction was not as lively as it was now, as authors like Mr. Arisugawa or Mr. Ayatsuji weren’t there yet, so reading mystery fiction back then meant mostly reading classic Western mystery novels from the end of the nineteenth century until the first half of the twentieth century.

Interviewer: Maurice Leblanc’s Lupin series is also from that period, right?

Takumi: Precisely. So I had a large stock of ideas in my mind from late nineteenth century classic mystery. These were all ideas and tricks involving gas lights and omnibuses, ideas that wouldn’t work in the contemporary setting of Gyakuten Saiban, but could only work in the specific time period they originated from. That is why I decided to go with this setting. I also always had the hope of making a Sherlock Holmes game one time, so I figured I might as well use everything for this game. And so I decided to use everything I had to create Dai Gyakuten Saiban (“The Grand Turnabout Trial”).

Also, your feeling was right. GAA was originally intended to be one game.
Takumi: When I was working on Dai Gyakuten Saiban 1, I planned to make a game that wouldn’t lose against Gyakuten Saiban 1~3, something that could stand proudly next to them. But now I look back, and see I poured way too much effort into the project (laugh). So I planned a story and setting that included every single idea I had. As a result, I ended up with a very dense story, that in no way could ever fit within one single game...
(Full Interview)

There's are lot of interesting ways that the Layton vs PW collaboration influenced the series, in terms game design and even simply how the teams that work on AA were restructured within Capcom. This video came out recently goes into the details and it's really interesting.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
It could even be argued that Soseki became a writer thanks to Shakespeare. Soseki mainly restricted his creative output to writing haiku until he was sent as a government-sponsored scholar to London for a two-year stay in 1900. He stopped composing haiku in London and began taking private weekly classes with a reclusive Shakespearean scholar...

Hmmm... goddamn!

Fuz

Banned
Finished the first five cases.
An excellent Ace Attorney game. It does retain the usual Ace Attorney flaws (but also improves on the strong points), but it's probably the best of the lot. I love that they toned down the paranormal crap that plagued the other games - I think they work better the more they're grounded in reality, without the stupid ghosts and magic. Wish they also toned the sillyness a bit down sometimes¹, but I really like the humour.
And what a great cast of characters. They're all interesting and likeable. Even the 10 year old Mary Sue, which I didn't like at start, grew on me. Even the judge is not a piece of shit anymore, and this is something really commendable. Not totally sold on the low-poly 3D, but they're splendidly animated², I might add - character animations have a lot of flair that contributes to define the characters quite a lot (love the Skulkin brothers!). I also love how you can consistently feel the racism against Ryunosuke, it contributes to make the world more believable.
Btw, fuck that piece of shit Gregson, gimme back Gumshoe.

Wonder if part 2 will explain what the fuck was the russian doing in the jury's stand. And all the other coincidences with the jurors, for that matter.

One thing I want to add, something that really, REALLY ticked me off during case 5... the defence taking the blame for McGilded case outcome is stupid as fuck, though. And the judge that states he's gonna "decide his fate" for that. A defence lawyer... defends. No matter what. This is just some really dumb writing and an insult to intelligence. I can't even begin to state of much I hated that part and its implications (which, apparently, never worked in the same way for the prosecutors). Also, the stupid deus-ex on case 5 (the cat-flapper package) was a really dumb way to bring forward the trial. Excellent conclusion, though - Ryunosuke's "bet" against Gregson has a fantastic buildup and is a very high point of writing.

Oh, and what an amazing soundtrack.
Especially love this:

¹ Aaaand the first case of resolve start very bad in that regard. Susato passing for a male to trick a court of law? That's... a whole new level of stupid. Goodbye, suspension of disbelief.
² Late thought: except Gina reloading the grenade launcher. Yeah, no, that's bad.

Last edited:
Finished the first five cases.
An excellent Ace Attorney game. It does retain the usual Ace Attorney flaws (but also improves on the strong points), but it's probably the best of the lot. I love that they toned down the paranormal crap that plagued the other games - I think they work better the more they're grounded in reality, without the stupid ghosts and magic. Wish they also toned the sillyness a bit down sometimes¹, but I really like the humour.
And what a great cast of characters. They're all interesting and likeable. Even the 10 year old Mary Sue, which I didn't like at start, grew on me. Even the judge is not a piece of shit anymore, and this is something really commendable. Not totally sold on the low-poly 3D, but they're splendidly animated², I might add - character animations have a lot of flair that contributes to define the characters quite a lot (love the Skulkin brothers!). I also love how you can consistently feel the racism against Ryunosuke, it contributes to make the world more believable.
Btw, fuck that piece of shit Gregson, gimme back Gumshoe.

Wonder if part 2 will explain what the fuck was the russian doing in the jury's stand. And all the other coincidences with the jurors, for that matter.

One thing I want to add, something that really, REALLY ticked me off during case 5... the defence taking the blame for McGilded case outcome is stupid as fuck, though. And the judge that states he's gonna "decide his fate" for that. A defence lawyer... defends. No matter what. This is just some really dumb writing and an insult to intelligence. I can't even begin to state of much I hated that part and its implications (which, apparently, never worked in the same way for the prosecutors). Also, the stupid deus-ex on case 5 (the cat-flapper package) was a really dumb way to bring forward the trial. Excellent conclusion, though - Ryunosuke's "bet" against Gregson has a fantastic buildup and is a very high point of writing.

Oh, and what an amazing soundtrack.
Especially love this:

¹ Aaaand the first case of resolve start very bad in that regard. Susato passing for a male to trick a court of law? That's... a whole new level of stupid. Goodbye, suspension of disbelief.
² Late thought: except Gina reloading the grenade launcher. Yeah, no, that's bad.

Glad you started to come around on Iris and in doing so restored order to the balance. I do also like the the judge isn't so clueless this time around. I love the old judge but it's more out of an appreciation that Shu Takumi didn't fall into the easy trap of just copy pasting the old characters' personalities in a new setting.

One thing I appreciate about the portrayal of racism in GAA is that the protagonists take it in stride. They react to it, but more importantly they try that much harder to prove themselves and thrive within a society that's prejudiced against them. They even retain compassion for a character like Van Zieks, despite his bigotry, because they see the humanity in him despite everything. I also like that Shu Takumi wasn't afraid to play off racial and ethnic stereotypes of the day purely for laughs as well, it doesn't *always* have to be a weighty emotional message. Actually it's more frequently not, and the fact that he saves the severity of that subject matter for the right moments, makes it actually hit hard rather than feeling like manipulative writing.

Absolutely adored the first game, my only big criticism is that it's too long winded. Which is more of a thing with Japanese writing in general than just Ace Attorney, playing through Yakuza 0 earlier this year was a blast but holy hell that game starts out with 3 straight hours of dialogue and cutscenes. You're in for a treat with the 2nd game, though, it's even better than the first.

Fuz

Banned
Finally completed it.
Man, what a ride. Best AA game in the series fuck you apollo with the best cast. I bloody love Sholmes and his deduction dances. Now that I finished the game, I'm gonna miss him. I also love that they toned down the paranormal crap, it never felt right to me, although the holographic deus ex at the end was stupid and immersion breaking - it's MAGIC, but let's just call it "technology". Good idea (involving the Queen, although I really wonder how Sholmes got inside Buckingham's), bad realization. Great cohesive writing, tons of plot twist that actually makes sense and don't feel that they're there just for the sake of a twist, great overarching story. A bit wordy at times, maybe. Oh, the final villain was so fucking obvious to me since the first moment I saw him. I know, I'm super smart.

By the way, I'm convinced that they have an italian in their team. The italian expressions are used flawlessly, and that's something I never saw in any foreign media.

P.S.
Yujin Mikotoba is a piece of shit.

P.P.S.
Did they forgot all about the russian spy while writing the plot? They also forgot to explain the "coincidences" in the juror's stand.

P.P.P.S.
Funny thing, Enoch Drebber - with black hair and minus the monocle - is the spitting image of my cousin. It was kinda funny/weird for me when he was on the stand.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I bloody love Sholmes and his deduction dances.
This is why I love the 3D animation here, as much as liked the 2D animation in pervious games there no way could done this with 2D. especially that last deduction with Yujin's tab dancing.

Reactions: Fuz

Fuz

Banned
This is why I love the 3D animation here, as much as liked the 2D animation in pervious games there no way could done this with 2D. especially that last deduction with Yujin's tab dancing.
Oh yeah they're great. The models are just a bit low poly, but the animators did an outstanding job.

Danjin44

Oh yeah they're great. The models are just a bit low poly, but the animators did an outstanding job.
I especially cant get enough of Susato's searching through her book animation, in fact she is my favourite character in entire AA series.

Reactions: Fuz

robotnik

Re-played original trilogy and finished GAA 1-2 for the first time. Shu and his team did an amazing job to give a life to all these beautiful characters. I'm so sad it's over and we might not see them ever again...

p8hcTa8.jpg

Capcom, give the man more money and let him create even more masterpieces, please.

Top Bottom