• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Glitches That Made Halo

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The Halo franchise defined a generation for console gamers. Halo 2 had one of the biggest influences on the shooter space even though it was riddled with glitches. But rather than being rejected or patched, Halo glitches were embraced and became a required skill in the PVP scene and competition. Join Persia as she goes over some of the best glitches that made Halo 2 truly unique with former Halo pro, Eli the Ninja.

In this video, Persia talks about iconic glitches in Halo 2 that added to the skill-ceiling of competitive multiplayer with former Halo pro, Eli the Ninja. From BXR to BXB and more, these unintentional glitches lead to combos that are used far and wide by many Halo 2 players and pros to this day.

With Halo having many different titles within the franchise, Halo 2 stands out due to these glitches and you can still perform them in the Master Chief: Collection’s Halo 2: Classic playlist.

Halo: Infinite is right around the corner after its release date of December 8th, 2021 was confirmed by Microsoft at Gamescom Opening Night Live and is now available for pre-order.

Banned
Til that was topped by halo 5.
The Next Generation Data GIF by Star Trek

Eh, super bounces and the like were fun. BXR and RRX and more were too much. Modders had a field day and it was stupid.

Quad shot, what a game breaking joke.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
My stomach turns and stretches watching that stiff controller steering.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I used to spend hours and hours mastering the superjumps to gain an edge

That one on Sanctuary to get out of the map, must’ve tried about 500 times to learn that one but never could do it. I was proficient with most of the superbounces though

One of the most enjoyable moments I ever had was during BTB CTF (8v8) on Terminal. I grabbed the shotty near the parking garage, made my way to the superjump area and got it. Bounced right up to the spawn area of the opposite team above the parking garage. Nothing like seeing the opposite team just spawn and then swiftly pulling that trigger before or right as they take first steps. It was criminal to even be up there. And it was heinous to be up there with a shotgun. But I had to do it. It was the ultimate thrill, the ultimate troll, job and a overall a sound strategy

Banned
No matter what you think of Halo 5, due to all of the extra movement and options available the skill ceiling is a *lot* higher than it is in the others.

that doesn't make for a good game tho. the game feels super clunky and the extremely low FOV doesn't go well with a game that makes use if boosters and sprinting all over the place

and I also disagree with that skill ceiling being higher to a point. due to the mobility it's way less important to have map knowledge and map control during a match.

and due to the fact that basically every ability you have in Halo 5 lowers your gun while using one of them also lowers the skill ceiling to a degree as you basically can't use these abilities during combat. you can only use them to evade or run away in most cases.
if Halo 5's abilities didn't make you lower your weapon and you could always fire while using them, you might have a point, but as it is you can't really combine abilities and combat in any skillful way.

it's basically:
[I sprint, I stop sprinting, now I'm shooting which locks me out of sprinting]

[I shoot, I stop shooting to use my thrusters because they lock me out of shooting, I start shooting again]

and with these abilities in play you are forced to use them or you are at a disadvantage.

meanwhile in Halo 3, because there are no abilities that slow you down or make you lower your weapon (locking you out of firing your gun), you have your full range of movement DURING active combat.
in Halo 3, because everyone always moves at the exact same max speed, it is a viable strategy to walk backwards and shoot at a distant enemy while simply traversing the map to get to an advantageous spot.
In Halo 5 that isn't necessarily an option because players have sprint, and you are basically firced to use sprint to get to a power weapon as fast as possible... so you are locked out of actively participating in combat during that. not so in halo 3 where it's a big part of the skillset to traverse towards spots while also firing at people.

this means walking backwards, doing blind jumps, maybe even trick jumps, is a skill you can learn that gives you a huge advantage in Halo 3, but not in Halo 5.

In Halo 5 it's more optimal to just sprint forwards and use clamber to get up to high spots, and that's almost never in any way hard to do either.

so I would argue advanced mobility lowered the skill ceiling dramatically in parts of the game, while only marginally lifting it in other parts.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
that doesn't make for a good game tho. the game feels super clunky and the extremely low FOV doesn't go well with a game that makes use if boosters and sprinting all over the place

and I also disagree with that skill ceiling being higher to a point. due to the mobility it's way less important to have map knowledge and map control during a match.

and due to the fact that basically every ability you have in Halo 5 lowers your gun while using one of them also lowers the skill ceiling to a degree as you basically can't use these abilities during combat. you can only use them to evade or run away in most cases.
if Halo 5's abilities didn't make you lower your weapon and you could always fire while using them, you might have a point, but as it is you can't really combine abilities and combat in any skillful way.

it's basically:
[I sprint, I stop sprinting, now I'm shooting which locks me out of sprinting]

[I shoot, I stop shooting to use my thrusters because they lock me out of shooting, I start shooting again]

and with these abilities in play you are forced to use them or you are at a disadvantage.

meanwhile in Halo 3, because there are no abilities that slow you down or make you lower your weapon (locking you out of firing your gun), you have your full range of movement DURING active combat.
in Halo 3, because everyone always moves at the exact same max speed, it is a viable strategy to walk backwards and shoot at a distant enemy while simply traversing the map to get to an advantageous spot.
In Halo 5 that isn't necessarily an option because players have sprint, and you are basically firced to use sprint to get to a power weapon as fast as possible... so you are locked out of actively participating in combat during that. not so in halo 3 where it's a big part of the skillset to traverse towards spots while also firing at people.

this means walking backwards, doing blind jumps, maybe even trick jumps, is a skill you can learn that gives you a huge advantage in Halo 3, but not in Halo 5.

In Halo 5 it's more optimal to just sprint forwards and use clamber to get up to high spots, and that's almost never in any way hard to do either.

so I would argue advanced mobility lowered the skill ceiling dramatically in parts of the game, while only marginally lifting it in other parts.
Just because you can’t shoot in the split second that you’re using the thrusters it doesn’t mean it’s less skillful. You can play halo 5 exactly like halo 3 if you want, which means the skill ceiling is at least the same there. Walk and shoot and jump. I’d argue that with all of the extra mobility allowing you to traverse maps in many ways it makes those with higher skill levels even more dangerous, so increases that ceiling.

Saying halo 5 feels “clunky” compared to halo 3 is absurd.

Cutty Flam

Banned
One of the greatest feelings was playing on Headlong during an intense game of Snipers. Superjumping on to one of the three of four buildings or even the crane, sniping someone on the opposite team, looking them dead in the eye through your scope as they look at you in disbelief, fire their shot and then you creep back to safety practically untouchable in your out-of-bounds environment

Playing on Burial Grounds and getting out of the map there was cool too. Sometimes there would be others who knew how to get out too; I've had several out of the map battles with other superjumpers and it was there was nothing like defeating them, rushing over for some quality teabag sauce and remaining within your territory while he was down there fighting like a lowly peasant

Or how about grabbing the flag on Relic and superjumping to the top where you could extend the round and game an additional 10-20 minutes?

Halo 2 is unbeatable

Dutchy

Just because you can’t shoot in the split second that you’re using the thrusters it doesn’t mean it’s less skillful.

But it does. If there's nothing you can do other than evade/dodge then in my opinion it's just a cheap free out of jail card that subsequently also slows down the pace of the game. Sprint added to this in terms of map design, and it's why we've been on a steep decline of fan favorite maps since Halo Reach.

Clamber and that weird hover mechanic do this too by making decision making and map positioning almost obsolete as well. Halo 5 is a literal: Hold or press button to do anything and shoot anything that moves. The skill ceiling in Halo 2/Halo 3 is significantly higher and the mechanics are lot more nuanced which is why a lot more people still play it. There's still room for improvement and people still find entirely new things every once in a while. Just look at any of Hyena's, FatRat's and Mint Blitz his video's and see if you can find something of equal proportions from a Halo 5 content creator. I can tell you already that you won't.

You can play halo 5 exactly like halo 3 if you want, which means the skill ceiling is at least the same there. Walk and shoot and jump. I’d argue that with all of the extra mobility allowing you to traverse maps in many ways it makes those with higher skill levels even more dangerous, so increases that ceiling.

Saying halo 5 feels “clunky” compared to halo 3 is absurd.

You can play Halo 5 exactly like Mario too but that does not make it any better.

Top Bottom