• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The game industry made 175 billion in 2020. Guess how much of that was spent on "in game" purchases?

Alebrije

There was no rental store where you lived?
I played one new NES game per week.

Nope ...saddly.....

Remembee that only few of us like 2-3 kids had an Atari 2600....it was a small town almost a village...but great times sharing videogames.

Anyway the point is that kids only play Fortnite, Minecraft,Terraria , Roblox, or something similar....3-4 games are thier universe and when they see a new game play it few hours but they return to Fortnite and never comeback to that game.

I think we have an over offert of videogames these days, and it will implode soon or later.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
100% = $174.9 billions revenue in total
049% = $86.3 billions from mobile (13% tablets, 36% smartphone)
021% = $37.4 billions from PC
029% = $51.2 billions from consoles

PC+Console > Mobile by 2.5%.
About est. 500 million > 3,500 million
$86.3 billion : 3.5 billion = $25 per capita (pathetic)
$88.6 billion : 0.5 billion = $177 per capita (up to 7x more)

est.1billion pc+consoles?
$88.6 billion : 1.0 billion = $88.6 per capita (up to 3.5x more)

DOLLAR SPEND PER CAPITA
REJOICE, WE ARE STILL LEADING THE RACE!!!!
rest in peace horror GIF by lilcozynostril

That actually makes a lot of sense and if anything this shows why game pass will be a force once MS starts rolling out solid exclusive titles.

Most causal gamers don’t have $65-$75 to spend to constantly buy new games in one year but they do have $5-$20 to spend on getting upgrades or dlc for games they already own or are focused on like call of duty, fortnite, etc.

Services like game pass will give more gamers access to more games which in turn can create more opportunities for devs to get that add-on/dlc money because it’s clear from this data that big money is in the add-on and dlc content not just the initial game purchase.
Many casual gamers don't bother with subscriptions. This is why they dont buy live gold or ps+. Many other casual are casuals because they are busy making 5 or 6 figures salaries. They have mony and they spend 2 or 3 figures on games. Money isn't an issue in videogames. EA and Activision are competing for people's time, money then comes with it.

BlackM1st

Banned
It probably has something to do with complex systems and over saturated worlds that these GaaS games have making you less likely to jump from one game to another, instead just stick with your comfort zone and continuously spend money on it.

Don’t underestimate number of people who only play either Fortnite, FIFA, Warzone, NBA 2K, GTA Online all year long.
It's more about battle passes and daily logins/ challenges. Shit becomes your second job and requires a lot of time. There's nothing complex in getting 10 headshots, winning 3 races or mining 100 gems. It just takes time.

Imagine 1 game requiring 2 hours per day. CoD MW took me about 1h a day. Genshin Impact asks for 2 hours.

How much more games you can squeeze in your average play time with those numbers? Some people BARELY has 2 hours of free time total per day.

Complain about games costing €$70
I will get it on GamePass lol suckers
Spends hundreds of €$ on microtransactions and JPEGs

Bravo gamers :)

GametimeUK

On some positive notes I get to play games like Warzone free of charge, don't have to pay for maps and characters in Overwatch and some games like Sekiro or indie titles are still free of monetisation.

These numbers aren't all doom and gloom for me, but I understand people care about this stuff more than I do.

I think there's plenty of options that still cater to me.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I am really glad prices are going up. Really going to help those developers of these big corporations as they haven't found any additional sources of revenue as prices of development have gone up.

/s
- Gaming industry at a record high and growing like crazy. Covid made it go even higher
- Big corporations have record sales, profits and profit margin due to digital revenue
- Cost of physically making packaging has tanked as it's gone from: expensive ROM chips 25-30 years --> cheap discs --> probably 3 cent digital downloads from their servers
- Prices have gone up to $70 ($90 in Canada.... back to the N64 64 mb cartridge price days)
- First party console makers getting 30% digital cuts from third parties like Steam
- DLC, mtx, $200 collector's editions with plastic figurine and Made in China stickers add more profits
- Used game market drying up as more gamers transition to digital media
- Digital sales every month so gamers are buying more games than they even play (digital sale hoarding)

But woe is us. Hey gamers, just want to let you know all us game studios are broke.

Last edited:
LOL and a lot of people who defended it then are defending it still. Unacceptable.

Yes, you deem it unacceptable. And if you deem it unacceptable, is there any possible refuge for people who disagree with you? I mean, you've deem it unacceptable. What is there to discuss, right?

Companies can and will charge whatever they want. Don't buy their games then, if you find them too expensive. Save the money.

Nester99

We need more detail to what the breakdown of "in game purchases"

How many are for DLC,
How many are for Actual Microtransaction,.
How much of the micro is Pay to win vs Pay to Fashion ?
What is the split of games? Is Fortnight so popular that fancy outfits count for 50% of all purchases? does it skew the numbers?

Shocking numbers but we need to drill down.

KingT731

That number doesn't sound outlandish at all especially considering the amount of "Free2Play" games with cash shops that are extremely popular. Idk why anyone would be surprised here.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
We need more detail to what the breakdown of "in game purchases"

How many are for DLC,
How many are for Actual Microtransaction,.
How much of the micro is Pay to win vs Pay to Fashion ?
What is the split of games? Is Fortnight so popular that fancy outfits count for 50% of all purchases? does it skew the numbers?

Shocking numbers but we need to drill down.

Yeah Sony's financial report also lumped in DLC with other forms of MTX.

Only the Sony's of the world really have that level of data.

I'm most curious about what they'll do in the future; they were successful this last gen providing a platform for other MTX-laden games to thrive (and for Sony to profit off of), without really getting into the MTX game too much themselves.. but this gen could be different.

Destruction All-Stars for instance is obviously an MTX driven title.. the fact Sony moved it to PS+ is almost "free to play"-lite too.

Ixiah

Banned
Well dont worry, Companys that makes games like Hollow Knight and other Indie Studios will always have a market
for People that dont care about micropay bullshit.

Tmack

$175 billion dollars generated in gaming for 2020.

Of that $175 billion, $128.6 billion was spent on "in game" purchases. That's 73 percent spent in games, rather than on games.

The "platform wars" of the past are over. It's no longer Sony vs Microsoft. It's no longer console vs PC. It's game vs game. Fortnite vs. World of Warcraft etc...

The push towards GAAS over the next 2-3 years will be intense.

First of all, you can`t put everything on the same basket.

There are two complete different industries competing for the consumer wallet.

One is the "tradicional" gamming market and the other is those mobile crap cashcows.... one would not even call the later gamming.

Warablo

Better increase the cost of video games because game development is too expensive. Thanks Sony and 2k.

Last edited:
People always think change will result in a negative outcome. So what if "in-game purchases have increased". Call of duty, GTA and Nintendo games have owned the best selling charts for years but do we see companies only releasing those type of games? ... No!

As the gaming market grows, demand for a variety of games will increase. Sure COD, GTA will still crucnh sells but other games will be able to make money too because of the increased size of the market.

Last edited:

TheUsual

Gold Member
In game purchases can be dangerous. The only time microtransactioms got me was Mass Effect 3 multiplayer. Spent somewhere between $100-200 on those damn booster packs. Never again!

reinking

Gold Member
That actually makes a lot of sense and if anything this shows why game pass will be a force once MS starts rolling out solid exclusive titles.

Most causal gamers don’t have $65-$75 to spend to constantly buy new games in one year but they do have $5-$20 to spend on getting upgrades or dlc for games they already own or are focused on like call of duty, fortnite, etc.

Services like game pass will give more gamers access to more games which in turn can create more opportunities for devs to get that add-on/dlc money because it’s clear from this data that big money is in the add-on and dlc content not just the initial game purchase.
You say that like it is a good thing.

KungFucius

King Snowflake

Yikes so the main game now becomes a demo with the purpose of selling DLC. I find it odd because I tend to avoid DLC entirely except for the major ones like the Witcher 3's 10+ hour stuff.

iorek21

I hope Sony keeps developing single player games with no MTX bullshit

Otherwise, indie games will have to save us

John Day

Sadly, it is what it is. Things sure ain’t going back to what it was before. People against this new world of gaming are just far too few compared to those that invest in it now.

Look at those numbers. Yikes.

Yikes so the main game now becomes a demo with the purpose of selling DLC. I find it odd because I tend to avoid DLC entirely except for the major ones like the Witcher 3's 10+ hour stuff.
This is an assumption, you don't have any clear proof to support this.
You say that like it is a good thing.
We could be getting access to more games for less money, why would that be a bad thing?

The assumption in this topic is always negative but I think people need to learn how to look at both sides without having a bias for just "keeping things the way they have always been" just because it makes them comfortable.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

If a game doesn't offer good value right out the gate, who is going to buy a DLC for that game?

Judge a product by it's price and the content you get for that price. If you aren't willing to pay.. don't.

NullZ3r0

Banned
$175 billion dollars generated in gaming for 2020.

Of that $175 billion, $128.6 billion was spent on "in game" purchases. That's 73 percent spent in games, rather than on games.

The "platform wars" of the past are over. It's no longer Sony vs Microsoft. It's no longer console vs PC. It's game vs game. Fortnite vs. World of Warcraft etc...

The push towards GAAS over the next 2-3 years will be intense.

This is why GamePass makes sense for developers.

UnNamed

Banned
Its why we get, and will continue to get, incomplete games with missing content that you are expected to pay for
I read this sentence for the first time in 2005 and I still have to see an incomplete game (not because bugs or released too early) with contents to complete the game behind a paywall. Especially in an era with kickstarter campaigns and where games are so huge you need days to beat even without extra contents.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
We could be getting access to more games for less money, why would that be a bad thing?
Sure, just like all Digital future was delivering cheaper games thanks to the middleman being cut out.... yep... we have a good example of what happens when game perceived value erosion happens and how the business model adapts: mobile games and F2P games. Yep, thanks but no thanks.
Games costing millions to make where my starting to play them is when they start trying to get me to spend more and more money (without a clear upper bound either... you buy Super Mario Odyssey for £59 you know what it gets you and that is it, you can enjoy yourself after that... you buy Skyrim? Same thing... and no, additional maps through DLC are not comparable to micro transactions in a F2P game).

I read this sentence for the first time in 2005 and I still have to see an incomplete game (not because bugs or released too early) with contents to complete the game behind a paywall. Especially in an era with kickstarter campaigns and where games are so huge you need days to beat even without extra contents.
There are a handful of games which launched with DLC included on the disc itself they shipped the original version of the game on. Street Fighter X Tekken for a famous example.

I think this qualifies as selling an incomplete game.

UnNamed

Banned
There are a handful of games which launched with DLC included on the disc itself they shipped the original version of the game on. Street Fighter X Tekken for a famous example.

I think this qualifies as selling an incomplete game.
DLC on disk are not common, but yeah, your argument is valid.

My only doubt is to think how many DLCs are complete when the game is released and just delayed for some time.

jakinov

I'm going to point out a couple of things.

The first thing is that of the $175 billion spent, that essentially half of that is from mobile where games mainly FREEMIUM and if not, are priced very low. So something like 60-65% (assuming that an estimated ~90% of revenue is IAP on mobile) that of all microtransactions (of the $129 billion) is coming from mobile.

Secondly, a lot of people here are making some crappy conclusions when looking at these aggregate numbers. People here are using these numbers that paints a broad stroke of the industry and using this as evidence of why games should not cost more. Some of you seemingly disregard that there are games like Fortnite and League of Legends that bring in billions of dollars in revenue are completely FREE to play and disregard that games are not monotonous products with varying costs. Not every game has added licensing cost like NBA or Spiderman. Not every game has a story mode that's going to require extra motion capturing, bigger maps, voice acting, and hiring writers. Not every game has the same scope. Not every game even has MTX. There's a bunch of little different things situations that affect how profitable a game actual is. So to look at these broad numbers and come to the conclusion that game prices shouldn't go up because there's a bunch of money being spent on MTX is flawed.

RyRy93

And what makes MTX even more enticing is that stuff like skins are incredibly easy and cheap to make.

Last edited:

Oppoi

Wouldn't surprise me if 90%+ of all MTX came from the very same person... some evil bastard...

Last edited:
Top Bottom