• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The game industry made 175 billion in 2020. Guess how much of that was spent on "in game" purchases?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
$175 billion dollars generated in gaming for 2020.

Of that $175 billion, $128.6 billion was spent on "in game" purchases. That's 73 percent spent in games, rather than on games.

The "platform wars" of the past are over. It's no longer Sony vs Microsoft. It's no longer console vs PC. It's game vs game. Fortnite vs. World of Warcraft etc...

The push towards GAAS over the next 2-3 years will be intense.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
EelgDwiXYAI8uTp.png

That actually makes a lot of sense and if anything this shows why game pass will be a force once MS starts rolling out solid exclusive titles.

Most causal gamers don’t have $65-$75 to spend to constantly buy new games in one year but they do have $5-$20 to spend on getting upgrades or dlc for games they already own or are focused on like call of duty, fortnite, etc.

Services like game pass will give more gamers access to more games which in turn can create more opportunities for devs to get that add-on/dlc money because it’s clear from this data that big money is in the add-on and dlc content not just the initial game purchase.

Safe from pay-to-win MTX, I have zero problems with Microtransactions.

If someone wants to pay for cosmetics why would it bother me? Not my money. No one is forcing them, is it? An, apparently, lots of people are willing to spend money on MTX.
Good for them and for the companies apparently providing a service that is in high demand.

And people genuinely believe game prices need to increase. Mugs.

Well, no one is in a position to assess other than devs themselves, who have the figures in front of them.

Developers can ask and charge as much as they want for a title. You then decide if it's too much for your wallet. The point is that if their profit margin is to remain the same but people are calling for extended development cycles, then basic math kicks in.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
And? If that is what people want to sieve their money on then let them. It doesn’t hurt me.. I hardly ever buy dlc but if there is ever a time I want to buy it I should have that option.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
And? If that is what people want to sieve their money on then let them. It doesn’t hurt me.. I hardly ever buy dlc but if there is ever a time I want to buy it I should have that option.
It could hurt you if the types of games you like stop being developed and instead everything turns into gaas shit.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It doesn’t hurt me..

When this stuff dictates the market, and you buy things from that market, of course it affects you. You just won't always know it. When the games you love are no longer profitable and everything is GAAS, you'll feel it.

You realise of course that a lot of DLC is just content that, at some point in time, would have just been in the base game anyway, and they're now repackaging it and selling it to you later for extra?

Yoda

Awful trend of the industry... Despite the new revenue stream:

* Most rank and file game industry workers make awful pay
* Games more frequently are released in an unfinished state
* Game prices increase
* Creation of new IP (in the AAA space) is slowing down

Pejo

Cat's out of the bag now, it's never going back. The thing is I wouldn't even mind so much if they weren't purposely withholding content to sell it to you later at an additional cost. If these things were post-development cosmetics or full on expansion packs, it'd be one thing. But now we're even seeing stuff like game modes and features being stripped out and sold later. That shit is straight up scummy.

I wish I could go back to horse armor defenders and show them what it led to.

InDaGulag

This shouldn’t be surprising to anyone paying good attention to video games the past 5-10 years. It’s funny how much enthusiast and ‘hardcore’ gamers can be out of touch with their hobby sometimes.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well, it definitely affects game design, what types of games get the green light to be produced, etc. So it does have an effect on all gamers, whether they buy MTX/DLC or not.

This is true.

Buuuuuut...

The traditional $60 dollar business model also affects game design as well. People are just so used to that models negative side effects they can't see them.

Last edited:
Safe from pay-to-win MTX, I have zero problems with Microtransactions.

If someone wants to pay for cosmetics why would it bother me? Not my money. No one is forcing them, is it? An, apparently, lots of people are willing to spend money on MTX.
Good for them and for the companies apparently providing a service that is in high demand.

Well, no one is in a position to assess than devs themselves, who have the figures in front of them.

Developers can ask as much as they want. You then decide if it's too much for your wallet. The point is that if their profit margin is to remain the same but people are calling for extended development cycles, then basic math kicks in.

Haven't Sony just decided the new price point is 70 bucks? For games that haven't even been made yet?

GeorgPrime

Banned
$175 billion dollars generated in gaming for 2020.

Of that $175 billion, $128.6 billion was spent on "in game" purchases. That's 73 percent spent in games, rather than on games.

The "platform wars" of the past are over. It's no longer Sony vs Microsoft. It's no longer console vs PC. It's game vs game. Fortnite vs. World of Warcraft etc...

The push towards GAAS over the next 2-3 years will be intense.

That is a frightening development in the gaming industry.

People just love to spend money on games then buying a game.

Just reduce game prices to 50 euro again as soon as you put in microtransactions anyway

Last edited:

00_Zer0

I'm not into dlc that have in game "bucks", play to win schemes or cosmetic upgrades, but if there is a game I enjoy that expands the game with new levels or gameplay or new fighters then I may buy the dlc.

GeorgPrime

Banned
People like to invest in the things they like...

giphy.gif

You dont need Microtransactions for it. ;) Most of those microtransactions are pay 2 won content anyway and that has nothing to do with "things they like". they just want to be better than the rest and that literally destroys a game for everyone else.

Its just a glorified gambling addiction made legal and that should be forbidden everywhere.

Last edited:
Have you all heard the good news of Fortnite? Embrace the future and join today!
V-bucks are the future.
save the world animation GIF by Devil's Garage

All hail Fortnite!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This is part of why I'm not sure why people still think collecting physical matters for preservation. Games are now a service not a product on your shelf. The content is online and temporary. You can't have Fortnite on your shelf, you can have a version of Fortnite at a particular point in time.

Physical still has advantages of course, such as resale value, lending it to a friend, not having to do that initial download. But in an increasing number of cases its just not representative of the true game experience.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
You dont need Microtransactions for it. ;) Most of those microtransactions are pay 2 won content anyway and that has nothing to do with "things they like". they just want to be better than the rest and that literally destroys a game for everyone else.

Its just a glorified gambling addiction made legal and that should be forbidden everywhere.

You may be right, but all the big multiplayer GAAS games on PC/console avoid p2w microtransactions. I think that really only effects mobile gaming.

The only time I've participated in this bs was back in 2015, when I paid $10 for some Overwatch loot boxes.

I realized how absolutely moronic mtx were when I opened them up and got some shite stickers and voice lines lol after that, I've never spent any money on mtx ever again. Lesson learned.

Alebrije

Always has been game vs. game.

We are returning to the Atari / NES era where you played just 2-3 games for months or years before get a new one. The circle is closing.

It probably has something to do with complex systems and over saturated worlds that these GaaS games have making you less likely to jump from one game to another, instead just stick with your comfort zone and continuously spend money on it.

Don’t underestimate number of people who only play either Fortnite, FIFA, Warzone, NBA 2K, GTA Online all year long.

Top Bottom