• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Boy Advance Is Getting Its First Commercial Release In 13 Years (Goodboy Galaxy)

Bullet Club

The Game Boy Advance Is Getting Its First Commercial Release In 13 Years​

Goodboy Galaxy is on Kickstarter now, Switch version also planned

It's been 13 years since the Game Boy Advance last saw a commercial release, but that comes to an end soon as Richard Nicol is bringing Goodboy Galaxy to the console – as well as other platforms, such as Switch and Steam.

This platform adventure game stars Maxwell, a space-age pup, who "explores unfamiliar worlds, makes strange new friends and contends with mysterious forces". Goodboy Galaxy will feature "jam-packed levels with multiple routes, 50 different characters to befriend, secret areas and hideaways to be discovered as well as a wide array of beasties to blast".

There's a demo available now, if you want to give it a spin. Nicol has already gotten the game in front of some pretty influential developers, including Supercell creative director Paul Chambers, who had this to say:

Super crazy what you have done… seriously, well done - it’s a proper love note to classics and I feel it.

Adam Vian of SFB Games (Snipperclips) adds:

It’s so polished! Everything feels great. Real charming too, I love all the characters.

The Kickstarter funding target is £18,000, of which over £3,000 has been pledged at the time of writing. Funding options include a digital version for the GBA (£18) which you can play via emulation or on a flash cart, or a downloadable version for Switch / Steam (also £18). There's also a boxed GBA cart, which comes complete with manual and stickers, all supplied by First Press Games. This will cost you £44.

We have to admit, Goodboy Galaxy certainly looks polished.

ftJXmtK.png

Source: Nintendo Life

Bullet Club

A52NhnG.jpg

I’m wondering, how does licensing work these days for new games on old consoles? Especially for physical cartridge versions? Do devs still have to pay royalties and fees to Nintendo?
I don't think so. If they were adding the Nintendo Seal Of Approval to the box and cart they would have to pay something.

Gameboy415

Looks fantastic!

I'm not a huge fan of Kickstarter (still waiting on some projects from 2013, ugh) but I went ahead and backed for a Physical Switch Copy + a physical GBA copy as an add-on.

Top Bottom