• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2021 Nominees

Topher

Gold Member
Then the judges should have their license revoked, cause they're clearly missing the picture. They could have more nominees, after all their writing the rules. If they really want the audience to care about these rewards then make it a rewarding fight. These picks are good but, they could have been much better. This show still needs a lot of work.

Nah, I think the number of nominees is fine. I don't agree with all the nominations but these are just opinions. There is no right answer here. Our opinions are no more valid than the judges.

JoeBudden

Did you honestly sit there and just say FH hasn't pushed the racing genera forward? FH is more RPG than a straight up racing game now. Playground made a new category the RPG racer. How can you not think this game deserves GOTY?

FH5 is very clearly getting snubbed imo. It has a very strong case for GOTY yet theres bullshit like Deathloop nominated lol

They'll never let a racing game win GOTY

FrankWza

BTW, here's the 2022 GOTY nominees. Heard it here first.

lx21RBG.jpg

Its literally just the 2021 Most Anticipated Award nominees, plus 1 wildcard spot since 6 games get nominated for GOTY.
Metal Gear Solid Remake
metal gear solid GIF

xiskza

Ofc Deathloop is going to win and we all know why. Imagine a game worse in almost every way compared to Prey and Dishonored, being highly praised while its predecessors were not. And this is why I keep telling everyone to stop glorifying critic reviews. Clearly, everyone loves FH5 and I can see why even tho I haven't touched it but God forbid if a racing game won GOTY. Ridiculous.
Yup. Totally agree.

BbMajor7th

I hope Returnal grabs at least one gong - the vitriol towards that game prior to launch was nuts and the about turn in community sentiment is wonderful to see. A few cheeky awards would just be the icing on the cake. As for DEATHLOOP and Psychonauts 2? Well, this thread has made me want to go back and play them some more.

Last edited:

DarthPutin

I'd put in Returnal in the running instead of Deathloop or Ratchett, definitely add Returnal for best art direction.

Isn't Deathloop for best narrative a little weird? I don't remember anyone praising the narrative in particular, it seems very limited.

Didn't try Forza, maybe it also deserves a nom, but, like, if they nominated it for best narrative it would be weird, right? Ditto here.

iorek21

Wow, this year was pretty poor. Hopefully the packed 2022 will make up for it (if they don't delay most of them again).

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I feel sorry for all the people who will get tricked into buying Deathloop after all the fake praise by the media.

I played for about 3 hours and I saw everything the game has to offer. The rest is all repeat the same levels over and over again in the correct order. Tedious and boring.

Play Hitman 3 and Returnal if you like that style. Both came out in 2021 and should get the noms instead. Why they chose Deathloop if the better games were right there? Lame.

sainraja

Yep, for a long time but, it was a limited open world and never had access to this many racers in one game online or offline! Playground has you hunting cars, racing cars, crashing billboards, designing cars, detailing cars, auctioning cars, meeting in online races, many styles of online race gameplay IE tag like we did in Midtown Madness 3 (Yes I was there beta testing the original Xbox LIVE (with the orange lettering). Yes, I know what I'm talking about.

To be fair I preferred Burnout Revenge or Burnout 3 over Burnout Paradise. Now that BC development has ended we can't get Burnout 3 so, we can't have all the great ones.
I don't see how it was a limited open world game lol. It pretty much nailed the best way to do open world racing games. FH is basically the new Burnout. The only thing Burnout didn't have was car tuning. You'll have to elaborate what you mean by "detailing cars" but if you're talking about the styling — yeah FH definitely offers more there, but I thought we were just focusing on gameplay mechanics. If we had gotten a sequel to Paradise, I am sure it would have been much more.

Burnout allowed you to do the following as well (just going to quote you and BOLD those): "hunting cars, racing cars, crashing billboards, designing cars, detailing cars, auctioning cars, meeting in online races, many styles of online race gameplay"..
Burnout Paradise had other aspects too that FH does not have ATM.

Embarrassing. "My favorite game didn't get nominated so the whole industry is a joke." Jez Corden is such a fanboy I swear. Where was his complaining in 2019 when Disco Elysium, the highest rated game that year with a 92, wasn't nominated but Outer Worlds, with an 85, was? Oh right Microsoft owned Obsidian and Disco Elysium wasn't on Xbox so he had no problems with that one.

Airbus Jr

Banned

Look i havent played fh5 but i do have played fh 2, 3 and 4

Those 3 game didnt win goty right so what gives 5 to be any different cos from what i observe 5 does pretty much the same from the previous entries except for different location, i duno windows central seems to be pushing hard at fh5 to win goty this year so help me out on that

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Housemarque has been doing bullet-hell boss fights since forever. Furi was assuredly inspired by Housemarque as well.
Indeed my bad, you are right.

Oh, and all of them look way better than whatever Furi is trying to do.
Graphically that's for sure, but the story of Furi is very, very well tell. And the emotion it make you feel at the end don't need fancy graphics, it just hits you right to the heart :(
If you didn't had the chance I recommend you give it a try, especially if you liked Returnal

I'd put in Returnal in the running instead of Deathloop or Ratchett, definitely add Returnal for best art direction.

Isn't Deathloop for best narrative a little weird? I don't remember anyone praising the narrative in particular, it seems very limited.
Yeah, Deathloop actually doesn't really have a story per se. There's no plotlines, or proper story structure, just characters. Nominating it for best narrative is just ridiculous.

Those 3 game didnt win goty right so what gives 5 to be any different cos from what i observe 5 does pretty much the same from the previous entries except for different location, i duno windows central seems to be pushing hard at fh5 to win goty this year so help me out on that
Of course Jez Corden is going to cry about Forza. It's almost a carbon copy of FH4, so I'm not sure where the "creativity and ingenuity" is supposed to be.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for all the people who will get tricked into buying Deathloop after all the fake praise by the media.

I played for about 3 hours and I saw everything the game has to offer. The rest is all repeat the same levels over and over again in the correct order. Tedious and boring.

Play Hitman 3 and Returnal if you like that style. Both came out in 2021 and should get the noms instead. Why they chose Deathloop if the better games were right there? Lame.
Deathloop wins my personal award for most overrated game of 2021. And I platinumed it, so I have given it more than a fair shot.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Look I haven't played Rift Apart but I played multiple previous entries in the Ratchet & Clank series.

None of the previous ones won GOTY, right? So how this new one is any different because from what I observe Rift Apart does pretty much the same thing as the previous entries except for a different protagonist.

Help me out on that.

?

Airbus Jr

Banned
Look I haven't played Rift Apart but I played multiple previous entries in the Ratchet & Clank series.

None of the previous ones won GOTY, right? So how this new one is any different because from what I observe Rift Apart does pretty much the same thing as the previous entries except for a different protagonist.

Help me out on that.

?
Youre being buthurt on me for rachets being there and forza horizon is not ?

Like i said previously here ask the panelist and jury im not the one making these decision about which game getting nominated in these award

Have a nice day

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Youre being buthurt on me for rachets being there and forza horizon is not ?

Like i said previously here ask the panelist and jury im not the one making decision about which game getting nominated in these award

Have a nice day

I'm not but hurt about anything. I actually think that Forza Horizon 3 is a better game than Forza Horizon 5. My GOTY is not even on the list.

Your logic is just dumb, dumb.

I wish you a terrible day.

:messenger_heart:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I'm not but hurt about anything. I actually think that Forza Horizon 3 is a better game than Forza Horizon 5. My GOTY is not even on the list.

Your logic is just dumb, dumb.

I wish you a terrible day.

:messenger_heart:
No..no..no...

You obviously used that terms in a sarcastic ways and used what i said earlier against me

I can sense the desperation there

Last edited:

Help me out on that.

?
No, you're correct. I have no idea how this is considered GOTY material. It's quite forgettable.

rofif

Banned

forza 5 don't display any of those... it's a great polished game but it's neither innovative or creative.
In fact it's super cringe and lame.
But the graphics, races and overal RACING experience might deserve GOTY anyway. Just not for these reasons

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
forza 5 don't display any of those... it's a great polished game but it's neither innovative or creative.
In fact it's super cringe and lame.
But the graphics, races and overal RACING experience might deserve GOTY anyway. Just not for these reasons
Its all subjective but having played all the games up for GOTY (except Metroid) for me personally Forza is better then any of the games nominated

Again thats my personal opinion

rofif

Banned
Its all subjective but having played all the games up for GOTY (except Metroid) for me personally Forza is better then any of the games nominated

Again thats my personal opinion
I mean yeah sure. It's gameplay what matters in the end if cringe don't annoy you. And gameplay is fine.
I am just not big on racing games it seems

Boy bawang

Skyrim was awarded as hell though, and it was more than broken on PS3

Plus with all the patches Cyberpunk is not that broken anymore

Yeah but Skyrim was a good game. Now that cyberpunk was more or less fixed, people realized that the core game just isn't that good.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I mean yeah sure. It's gameplay what matters in the end if cringe don't annoy you. And gameplay is fine.
I am just not big on racing games it seems
Well for me GOTY means a game I want to keep playing and take R&C I put about 20 hours into and haven't turned it back on since.

While it was a great game it didn't have me wanting to go back for more with Forza I look forward to doing a lot of the accolades

And yeah the cringe is bad and honestly I usually play without sound and listen to my own music.

rofif

Banned
Well for me GOTY means a game I want to keep playing and take R&C I put about 20 hours into and haven't turned it back on since.

While it was a great game it didn't have me wanting to go back for more with Forza I look forward to doing a lot of the accolades

And yeah the cringe is bad and honestly I usually play without sound and listen to my own music.
That is fair thinking.
I myself for example like story telling, atmosphere and the feeling a game left me with. That's why Soma is one of my fav games from 2015 but I've not played it more than once.

Wulfer

I don't see how it was a limited open world game lol. It pretty much nailed the best way to do open world racing games. FH is basically the new Burnout. The only thing Burnout didn't have was car tuning. You'll have to elaborate what you mean by "detailing cars" but if you're talking about the styling — yeah FH definitely offers more there, but I thought we were just focusing on gameplay mechanics. If we had gotten a sequel to Paradise, I am sure it would have been much more.

Burnout allowed you to do the following as well (just going to quote you and BOLD those): "hunting cars, racing cars, crashing billboards, designing cars, detailing cars, auctioning cars, meeting in online races, many styles of online race gameplay"..
Burnout Paradise had other aspects too that FH does not have ATM.
I understand where your coming from but, your missing my point of hunting cars. FH worlds are so large that you do hidden barn activities. I love the fact that you can go discover new vehicles. Now I'm sure Burnout could have done this at some point (especially in today's open worlds) but, they didn't in the limited worlds we drove around in. When it takes you 45 mins to drive around a entire world that's a open world and The Crew and FH made that possible. Also, they made it where you can drive anywhere in that world. FH used this open space to add elevation driving which opened up new skills and abilities in that world. Could Burnout have done this with a new game? I believe they could have but, EA didn't believe in the idea of a large open racer. To much developer work and not enough return on the product. Thankfully Playground didn't think that way so, we have access to one of the greatest if not the greatest racer IP of all time!

sainraja

I understand where your coming from but, your missing my point of hunting cars. FH worlds are so large that you do hidden barn activities. I love the fact that you can go discover new vehicles. Now I'm sure Burnout could have done this at some point (especially in today's open worlds) but, they didn't in the limited worlds we drove around in. When it takes you 45 mins to drive around a entire world that's a open world and The Crew and FH made that possible. Also, they made it where you can drive anywhere in that world. FH used this open space to add elevation driving which opened up new skills and abilities in that world. Could Burnout have done this with a new game? I believe they could have but, EA didn't believe in the idea of a large open racer. To much developer work and not enough return on the product. Thankfully Playground didn't think that way so, we have access to one of the greatest if not the greatest racer IP of all time!
In Burnout, you had to go after a car and take it down to earn it. If by hunting cars, you only mean barn activities; then that's one thing that Forza should add and make it part of the gameplay but this isn't what I was responding to and I am not missing your point - creating a bigger world does not make Forza invent a new category of racer. That was already done by Burnout. Forza basically took that and made it its own and have a "bigger" world for people to explore.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I still have yet to play so many of those games. I have no excuse in some cases because they're on Game Pass.

From what I have played and heard about, these look like good picks across the board. Humankind should win for simulation - it's the first sim game of its nature to do new things in so long.

Helghan

Embarrassing. "My favorite game didn't get nominated so the whole industry is a joke." Jez Corden is such a fanboy I swear. Where was his complaining in 2019 when Disco Elysium, the highest rated game that year with a 92, wasn't nominated but Outer Worlds, with an 85, was? Oh right Microsoft owned Obsidian and Disco Elysium wasn't on Xbox so he had no problems with that one.
Do they give indie games a nomination for GOTY?

So looking at that tweet that links to Windows central.... It's been edited to explain why FH5 wasn't on the list. It says that even though it was eligible it had to be submitted by a certain date which was impossible to do so (in which case I don't think it was eligible). If the game awards just came out and said it wasn't eligible then they probably wouldn't get backlash. As of now no one really takes these awards seriously... Especially when you look awards past games got. I'd rather follow gamers opinions then these sites media sites that give crap games 10/10 (for early access)

Last edited:

GymWolf

You know the world is fucked up when the worse game from arkane in the last 15 years get so many nominations but stuff like dishonored and prey get ignored by everyone.

A good, sometimes even great game with the usual unbeatable god tier level design, but still...

Ps5 incessant marketing did wonders for this game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom