• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2021 Nominees

CuNi

I cannot even login to that shitshow of a website. If I go with Twitch, it gives me a msg saying "error in console" and there I can only see a multitude of "is null" etc. JS-Issues. When I try to use Twitter or Google it gives me a "Check your Internet connection" Error lol. And I surely won't use the Facebook login, fuck those guys in particular.

Dane

But when was the last date for the nomination choices? because the 19th is 3 days from now, but the nominations are set.

Then you are agreeing with me, most of the outlet beyond the reviewer of the game probably hasn't had time to play this enough if they only had it for a week or two.

Then they should have fixed the schedule by putting the awards at the last week of the year or early January, so it can do the entire year not December last year - November of the next one, Forza Horizon 5 was at the deadline and that means they just tossed it out for a single nomination at best sports game.

kyliethicc

BTW, here's the 2022 GOTY nominees. Heard it here first.

lx21RBG.jpg

Its literally just the 2021 Most Anticipated Award nominees, plus 1 wildcard spot since 6 games get nominated for GOTY.

elliot5

Only category I'm invested in is best performance. It's gonna be a robbery if Maggie Robertson doesn't win.
Lady D was fine but also
not that long lasting in the game
whereas the performances in Deathloop are very impressive and entertaining, with a shit ton of dialogue. Lots of chemistry there. Either of them winning it would be good in my books

Last edited:
You just need to listen to a game of the year discussion at a website to hear how few games some of these guys play. I'll be shocked if more than 20% even started Forza Horizon 5.
Oh I have and I don't doubt it. I listened to Kinda Funny discuss these nominees today and one of them said their gut tells them Deathloop will win. Considering they are on the jury that right there tells me that their vote is going towards Deathloop. That game is so overrated by the press but I've said why that is.

Ofc Deathloop is going to win and we all know why. Imagine a game worse in almost every way compared to Prey and Dishonored, being highly praised while its predecessors were not. And this is why I keep telling everyone to stop glorifying critic reviews. Clearly, everyone loves FH5 and I can see why even tho I haven't touched it but God forbid if a racing game won GOTY. Ridiculous.
Deathloop is praised by these gaming press because of the two main characters. I guarantee you if it starred a white male and female character it wouldn't have been praised as much. I only say this because I've listened to enough of them on podcasts praise the game for having 2 black lead characters. I mean it's not like we haven't had them as leads in games before but these press people have their agendas.

Last edited:
I can’t take a game of the year award with a cutoff seriously, so I’ll be keeping up my multi year streak of not watching it lol. In an industry where traditionally the big games release just before Christmas, to cut them out and claim any kind of credibility is nonsense.

The list is actually pretty good though IMO. Clearly FH5 should be on there, and R&C shouldn’t (and I say that as a big Ratchet fan), but I don’t have to agree with everything.

Wulfer

You think FH5 is more deserving than RE or R&C? That's your opinion and there is nothing wrong with that, but you've had just as much time to formulate that opinion as the judges who submitted their votes. They simply disagree with you.
Then the judges should have their license revoked, cause they're clearly missing the picture. They could have more nominees, after all their writing the rules. If they really want the audience to care about these rewards then make it a rewarding fight. These picks are good but, they could have been much better. This show still needs a lot of work.

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
So the biggest game with zero marketing, no one was talking about, sold maybe 10 million copies, made by 3 guys in a basement is no where to be seen. Typical, entertainment awards are for the weak minded.

Wulfer

I mean I love Forza Horizon 5, but I played 4 and 5 back to back and except the graphics there is not much difference between the two. Its a great game a exquisitly crafted, but people have to understand that GOTY are games that push the medium forward, not just graphical upgrades to existing games.
Did you honestly sit there and just say FH hasn't pushed the racing genera forward? FH is more RPG than a straight up racing game now. Playground made a new category the RPG racer. How can you not think this game deserves GOTY?

sainraja

Did you honestly sit there and just say FH hasn't pushed the racing genera forward? FH is more RPG than a straight up racing game now. Playground made a new category the RPG racer. How can you not think this game deserves GOTY?
You haven't played Burnout Paradise, have you?

There are many aspects in FH series that are straight-up adopted or borrowed from the Burnout series (and for good reason and nothing wrong with that). FH blended all of that into a series with real cars — Criterion had to do it with fictional cars to put in damage/crashes.

And I suppose you missed the part where he was comparing FH5 with FH4 to support his opinion and it is HIS opinion but he's not wrong. FH4 + FH5 are very similar in gameplay but we've got a new city to explore which is great.

Last edited:

Wulfer

You haven't played Burnout Paradise, have you?
Yep, for a long time but, it was a limited open world and never had access to this many racers in one game online or offline! Playground has you hunting cars, racing cars, crashing billboards, designing cars, detailing cars, auctioning cars, meeting in online races, many styles of online race gameplay IE tag like we did in Midtown Madness 3 (Yes I was there beta testing the original Xbox LIVE (with the orange lettering). Yes, I know what I'm talking about.

To be fair I preferred Burnout Revenge or Burnout 3 over Burnout Paradise. Now that BC development has ended we can't get Burnout 3 so, we can't have all the great ones.

Last edited:

Starfield

I voted for Starfield for most anticipated game but honestly I know it doesn't deserve to win.

Elden Ring has more gameplay footage and people know what they'll get

I mean I love Forza Horizon 5, but I played 4 and 5 back to back and except the graphics there is not much difference between the two. Its a great game a exquisitly crafted, but people have to understand that GOTY are games that push the medium forward, not just graphical upgrades to existing games.
How pushed TLOU2 the medium forward? I don't see much innovation there, just very good graphics and animations.

Fuckin Ratchet 😂

He's so desperate for it to be Oscar like, inviting actors, orchestras, nominated games all within certain genres.12 minutes gets nominated (cos it has well known actors) where in reality it wouldn't hit anyone's top 30 Indies for this year.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Fuckin Ratchet 😂

He's so desperate for it to be Oscar like, inviting actors, orchestras, nominated games all within certain genres.12 minutes gets nominated (cos it has well known actors) where in reality it wouldn't hit anyone's top 30 Indies for this year.
Game look like Pixar movie what indie game can come close to that lets be real man

tommib

Everyone's praising Returnal bosses fights while I'm here, thinking it's sooooooo inspired by Furi which was 10 times better in every aspect (except graphically, that makes you wonder....)

Housemarque has been doing bullet-hell boss fights since forever. Furi was assuredly inspired by Housemarque as well.

Oh, and all of them look way better than whatever Furi is trying to do.

Last edited:
I don't give a fu** about their nominees (we know its a internal bubble), i only watch for the trailers.

Do the same guys, we know better than them what games are the best ones! ;)

Banjo64

cumsessed
Gamers: man who gives a FUCK about the game awards????

also Gamers: man, FUCK the game awards for not nominating the game i want
True lol but maybe people don’t give a fuck about them because they can’t get basic nominations right? FIFA in best sports game category when it’s been a complete joke for years, 99% of PlayStation owners saying Returnal is GOTY and 99% of Xbox owners saying FH5 is GOTY but both are absent.

GymWolf

BTW, here's the 2022 GOTY nominees. Heard it here first.

lx21RBG.jpg

Its literally just the 2021 Most Anticipated Award nominees, plus 1 wildcard spot since 6 games get nominated for GOTY.
There is a strong chance that half of that list is not gonna be even released in 2022...

Last edited:

Strategize

Looking at that list...damn what a shit year for games lol. Even 2014 might've been better.

You know it's shit when I'm more interested in what will win most anticipated than GOTY.

Last edited:

Neolombax

Wow a lot of Deathloop nominations. I'm under the impression that while the game reviewed well, user scores arent that hot?

As much as I love the Ratchet and Clank series, and as amazing as Rift Apart was, I thought it was one of the weaker ones in the series. Previous entries somehow felt more ambitious than Rift Apart.

What a joke that Nier Replicant only shows up for the soundtrack category.

It's also a joke that SMT V and Tales of Arise are only present in one category and competing against each other, both games deserve to be in more categories.

On the other hand, I'm pleasantly surprised Fantasian is in the mobile category, hopefully other people voted for it as well.

Wow a lot of Deathloop nominations. I'm under the impression that while the game reviewed well, user scores arent that hot?

As much as I love the Ratchet and Clank series, and as amazing as Rift Apart was, I thought it was one of the weaker ones in the series. Previous entries somehow felt more ambitious than Rift Apart.
Critics don't care what people actually like. Look at the Oscars or last years winner.

nowhat

I'd imagine Housemarque are pretty stoked about any nomination. Lets face it, this is their first full-price title in many years... effectively its their first shot in the high-end space. They doing fucking great for debutantes.
Very much this, good on Housemarque. Having said that, if Returnal doesn't win best audio, these awards are even more of a joke than they already are.

tommib

Critics don't care what people actually like. Look at the Oscars or last years winner.
And they shouldn’t. Independently of us liking their decisions or not. Critics should indeed review and award independently of the popular vote/taste. Art criticism is not a popularity contest.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
And they shouldn’t. Independently of us liking their decisions or not. Critics should indeed review and award independently of the popular vote/taste. Art criticism is not a popularity contest.
True, but at the same time you have to call in to question their credibility when games like FIFA are on the list.

Pedro Motta

Yeah I did, no more than 4 did, or 3 did. And there are other games in ths category as well, older than Forza. I do say that Forza Horizon perfected the formula for sure, just not on number 5.

Top Bottom