• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards 2021 Nominees

Bragr

Banned
No, the deadline is November 19. I'm guessing they don't expect any games to announced the next few days so they went ahead and did the nominations. Either way, FH5 just didn't make the GOTY nominations list.

"Games eligible for The Game Awards this year must be available for public consumption on or before November 19, 2021. Titles that are released after this date will be eligible for The Game Awards ceremony in 2022. (Similarly, games that were released in December 2020 are first eligible for this year’s awards)."

Yeah, but I get the sense that it's so close to the cut-off that it's just not realistic that all the "judges" have played it, so it will never get enough votes. It came out a little over a week ago, I would assume half the "judges" haven't even touched it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
From that list, I hope it takes 2 gets it and it genuinely deserves it. From what I've played. Ad in, I've not played deathloop.

But saying that, it's between dread and it takes two for me. Happy with either of those.

Loved psychonauts but hey.

I honestly believe ratchet doesn't deserve to be there. It's just a good game, nothing special at all. Love insomniac though

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Sorry I only watch this show (if I watch it) for reveals as some of these lists are a joke

How is Forza left off GOTY?

awkward pulp fiction GIF

SSfox

I’m really not that surprised tbh. It doesn’t have the wide appeal that are usually associated with these nominees/winners. But then again Sekiro won… Idk, Returnal is my GotY but I had a hunch it wouldn’t become nominated.
As you said, since Sekiro won i thought Returnal would be there, sure maybe not win, but just being in the list of nominees.

PS: Sekiro was my personal GOTY 2019, and GOW was my 2018 GOTY. 2020 was GOT. So usually i'm with GA lol Tho i haven't though yet on which game my GOTY this year, but Returnal definitely in Top 5 for sure and not seeing it here surprised me tbh and i think i'm not the only one.

Last edited:

AddictedProxy

Neo Member
I’m really not that surprised tbh. It doesn’t have the wide appeal that are usually associated with these nominees/winners. But then again Sekiro won… Idk, Returnal is my GotY but I had a hunch it wouldn’t become nominated.
Same. Returnal is my GOTY but Im not too schocked it was not nominated cause its not quite the game the media would go for.
Ultra hard and very unconventional story. I honestly doubt a huge amount of journos even completed the game.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah, but I get the sense that it's so close to the cut-off that it's just not realistic that all the "judges" have played it, so it will never get enough votes. It came out a little over a week ago, I would assume half the "judges" haven't even touched it.

If that were the case then they wouldn't have included it in the "Best Sports/Racing Game" category.

Elios83

Cyberpunk and GTA Trilogy got robbed :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Seriously I think that Returnal and Forza should be there.
But quite frankly people should know that these nominees are done to try to keep everyone happy, especially those who are providing contents for the show, so the slots are limited.

I can normally see and understand why some games get nominated and others don’t as I take into account all sides.

But for the life of me I don’t understand Returnal not making that list. I genuinely thought it would be between that and Metroid, with it ultimately going to Metroid.

genuinely shocked.

Last edited:

skit_data

Hmmm… what would happen if Deathloop wins GotY?

Will there be a Deathloop: Game of the Year Edition that will be exclusive to Xbox and PC?

Returnal had just as much wide appeal as Hades did last year. It sold 600,000+ copies in a couple months which is likely just as much if not more than what Hades did in that timeframe. The media just wants to snub it

FrankWza

How are Psychonauts 2, Deathloop, It Takes Two safe? lol They are not the kind of games that are rewarded GOTY nominations.

And Hades got the nomination last year. It was also a new IP, a rougelike, and a riskier game. It's just better than Returnal in almost ever aspect. It has raised standards for rougelikes and Returnal just wasnt able to match them.
Maybe, but Returnal raised the crybaby meter to levels I’ve never seen before and it had that negativity attached to it that I don’t think those other games had. It had a stigma attached to it at every level of its process. First price, then character design and then difficulty and then save feature not being implemented. It ended up being worth$70, the character absolutely fit the story and they added a save feature. On top of that it is probably the best design and implementation of sound in a game ever. It should have gotten a nod at least.

Bragr

Banned
If that were the case then they wouldn't have included it in the "Best Sports/Racing Game" category.
But that's a no-brainer, it's almost impossible to not include it there. GOTY is just a completely different award, you need time to judge a game in that category, a week or two is just not enough.

Imagine being a journalist, just by looking at Forza Horizon 5 you would include it in "best racer", but GOTY? nah, not unless I had played it 5-6 hours every day would I even think about that, and I doubt very many of that jury did. It's just too close to the limit.

Maybe, but Returnal raised the crybaby meter to levels I’ve never seen before and it had that negativity attached to it that I don’t think those other games had. It had a stigma attached to it at every level of its process. First price, then character design and then difficulty and then save feature not being implemented. It ended up being worth$70, the character absolutely fit the story and they added a save feature. On top of that it is probably the best design and implementation of sound in a game ever. It should have gotten a nod at least.

returnal is a way better game than Hades

as a Roguelike, hades is structured in a more mainstream way, but the gameplay and production values pale compared to Returnal

Topher

Gold Member
But that's a no-brainer, it's almost impossible to not include it there. GOTY is just a completely different award, you need time to judge a game in that category, a week or two is just not enough.

Imagine being a journalist, just by looking at Forza Horizon 5 you would include it in "best racer", but GOTY? nah, not unless I had played it 5-6 hours every day would I even think about that, and I doubt very many of that jury did. It's just too close to the limit.

I mean.....if that's your theory then fine, but I don't think it operates that way.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Deathloop has two black main characters. That's all you need to know as to why the gaming press is so big on it

Are games not allowed to have black protags or they’re considered “woke”? Really stupid logic here. There’s a difference between pandering to the wokelets of resetera/ twitter with shoehorned characters and simply having black characters in your games. Is San Andreas woke? Binary Domain?

skit_data

Returnal had just as much wide appeal as Hades did last year. It sold 600,000+ copies in a couple months which is likely just as much if not more than what Hades did in that timeframe. The media just wants to snub it
Hades sold over 300.000 in just a couple of days according to wikipedia, and there were even more people who bought it in early access:

07YXhoe.jpg

I think one of the reasons Returnal was left out was simply because R&C: Rift Apart and Deathloop was already nominated. If they’d take away anyone else of the nominees 50% of the nominees would be pretty much Playstation exclusives and some people would cry a lot about that.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I already know Angry Joe 2021 worst game

Either Dark Alliance or GTA Remaster Demake Edition

Anyway where can we vote?

Can someone show the link?

Last edited:

BigBooper

No Forza means this is even more ridiculous than it normally is. It's easily the GOTY. Out of the ones they've picked, I'd vote for Ratchet and Clank even though I haven't played it.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
My advice is to not waste valuable hours of your life watching this...... get the highlights here afterwards.

We all know the thing is full of filler and overly political, sanitized and decided on by a committee.

Let stuff like this die.
Totally Off Topic -- But:
Hey, good to see you back. I was wondering if you were permed. Don't get in any more trouble or you might be next time.

Are games not allowed to have black protags or they’re considered “woke”? Really stupid logic here. There’s a difference between pandering to the wokelets of resetera/ twitter with shoehorned characters and simply having black characters in your games. Is San Andreas woke? Binary Domain?
There is nothing wrong with having them. My issue is when I listen to people at some of these outlets that vote on the nominations they spend more time talking about how great it is that Deathloop has two PoC main characters rather than talk about the actual quality of the game. That's why I say they are nominating it for things because of that reason. Maybe you haven't noticed but I didn't really hear players saying Deathloop was as good as reviewers said it was.

Airbus Jr

Banned
My advice is to not waste valuable hours of your life watching this...... get the highlights here afterwards.

We all know the thing is full of filler and overly political, sanitized and decided on by a committee.

Let stuff like this die.
I dont see anything political about these awards

Some people here just cant acept their game didnt get nominated

Last edited:
Geoff Showing his Sony bias again and again how the fuck is forza 5 not nominated for GOTY? How’s sea of theives not even nominated for on going game? Yet he finds a way to put all Sony games in here to get awards. Like I don’t even understand why Phil bothers to give me exclusive debuts on the show to begin with knowing Geoff is always going to be biased!

Hades sold over 300.000 in just a couple of days according to wikipedia, and there were even more people who bought it in early access:

07YXhoe.jpg

I think one of the reasons Returnal was left out was simply because R&C: Rift Apart and Deathloop was already nominated. If they’d take away anyone else of the nominees 50% of the nominees would be pretty much Playstation exclusives and some people would cry a lot about that.
Umm no. No one cried about PlayStation having Ghost of Tsushima and TLOU2 up for tons of things last year. Or God of War and Spider-Man in 2018. Sony has had multiple games up for it quite a few times in the past.

Geoff Showing his Sony bias again and again how the fuck is forza 5 not nominated for GOTY? How’s sea of theives not even nominated for on going game? Yet he finds a way to put all Sony games in here to get awards. Like I don’t even understand why Phil bothers to give me exclusive debuts on the show to begin with knowing Geoff is always going to be biased!
Geoff doesn't nominate the games. Outlets like IGN, Kinda Funny, and others do. Also if he had Sony bias then Returnal would've been up for GOTY

Airbus Jr

Banned
Forza Horizon 5 didnt get nominated for the same reason FH3 and FH4 didnt get nominated the games was deemed not good enough to be included in the list

If Geof being biass toward sony why is Returnal not on the list? Now ask yourself that question before throwing accusations

Dont ask me in not the jury and making these decision

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
If R&C doesn't win with this pathetic list then it's something fishy to stop Sony's GOTY streak.

Deathloop but not Returnal.:messenger_tears_of_joy:
I would have swapped out RE, It Takes Two and Deathloop for FH5, Returnal and Monster Hunter Rise.

This show in particular is dog wank. Just loads of nominations for crap like Guardians of the Galaxy.

Fbh

Well if you needed any more confirmation that most of gaming media doesn't really care about racing games you need to look no further than this.

Shame Death's Door didn't get nominated for soundtrack

Geoff doesn't decide the nominees or winners

Topher

Gold Member

Right......Sony bias is the reason Returnal wasn't nominated for GOTY either. Makes perfect sense.

jennifer lawrence ok GIF

Top Bottom