• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Forgotten Realms in Gaming

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
With the only FR game in the works being the new Dark Alliance, FR news is slim. I am thinking about buying this just to go through, maybe look for a group online to play with (I only tried pen and paper a few times, both online):

Has anyone ever purchased one of these "RPG books" before? Do they have a lot of artwork in them?

All 5E books have tons of great art. It's the #1 reason I keep buying them. I think Curse of Strahd had my favorite. Also, technically Baldur's Gate 3 is still in development.

Last edited:

Seraphym

NWN was great, ran on my crappy laptop and is one of the few rpgs that get Monks right, what a tank!
Never liked NWN 2

OP some great work on this.

Seraphym

With the only FR game in the works being the new Dark Alliance, FR news is slim. I am thinking about buying this just to go through, maybe look for a group online to play with (I only tried pen and paper a few times, both online):

Has anyone ever purchased one of these "RPG books" before? Do they have a lot of artwork in them?
If you are after artwork then look for Art and Arcana.

DavidGzz

Great OT! I've read almost all of the Drizzt Do'urden books. Also played a lot of DND a while back. Now I play Pathfinder once a week.

Havoc2049

The modules are for existing players who already know how to play D&D. They provide content for players to game in. They all come with cool artwork, settings to play in, maps, etc.

If you are just starting out, you would probably want something like the D&D Essentials kit, which has everything for a new player. The Essentials Kit is also dirt cheap($13 on Amazon, $20 at retail), so it isn’t that big of an investment, to see if you want to get into D&D. Or you could just get the full Player’s Handbook or even the Core Rulebook boxed set.

jason10mm

Gold Member
All 5E books have tons of great art. It's the #1 reason I keep buying them. I think Curse of Strahd had my favorite. Also, technically Baldur's Gate 3 is still in development.
You can play some fun drinking games with the art in the books now. The art quality is very good but i dont think it evokes as much...character as older art. Too much polish and the art in any particular book doesn't always tell a story like it used to. Just MHO.

down 2 orth

Ravenloft would be the best world for a videogame, though Forgotten Realms is good too. They just need to keep junk-tier developers far away from the IP now that Larian is bringing it back to prominence.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The modules are for existing players who already know how to play D&D. They provide content for players to game in. They all come with cool artwork, settings to play in, maps, etc.

If you are just starting out, you would probably want something like the D&D Essentials kit, which has everything for a new player. The Essentials Kit is also dirt cheap($13 on Amazon, $20 at retail), so it isn’t that big of an investment, to see if you want to get into D&D. Or you could just get the full Player’s Handbook or even the Core Rulebook boxed set.

Thanks. I did see this kit in Target of all places, they had a spot in the toys section.

No NWN 2 in OP?

I think its better game then original NWN, definitely has better campaign.

I was just trying to list as many franchises as I could think of and old gold box stuff, but not list every game in a series.

Isendurl

I was just trying to list as many franchises as I could think of and old gold box stuff, but not list every game in a series.

Oh yeah, I just noticed all other series also have only one game listed, my bad.

Im currently replaying NWN 2 so I guess its just on my mind. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

anthraticus

Banned
Looking forward to Baldur's Gate 3 from Larian.

Am not enthused by other game projects, especially from the now cucked Wizards of the Coast.

The Realms deserve better.
Well Larian is basing BG3 on cucked Wizards of the Coast's version of D&D, so....

As far as upcoming stuff, I was maybe hoping for some cool d&d content out of Realms Beyond, Knights of the Chalice 2 or Solasta, but we'll see. At this point, I think there's a better chance you get something good out of an 'unofficial' D&D game.

Last edited:

Liljagare

Dragonlance, and Forgotten Realm licences are dirt cheap, compared to other big worlds.

I just can't get why no big publisher isn't picking it all up.

Rayderism

Man! I played ALL the Gold Box SSI AD&D games that ever came out on C64 back in the day. Wasted so much graph paper mapping out the dungeons. Nowadays, I don't think I'd have the patience to do that ever again.

Tschumi

Great setting,i want to see a video tracking locations that exist across multiple discreet series, and how they're represented/they change in time... I'd be disappointed if they just invented new places for every series etc

Well Larian is basing BG3 on cucked Wizards of the Coast's version of D&D, so....

As far as upcoming stuff, I was maybe hoping for some cool d&d content out of Realms Beyond, Knights of the Chalice 2 or Solasta, but we'll see. At this point, I think there's a better chance you get something good out of an 'unofficial' D&D game.
5e is great and so far BG3 looks to be good too.

Lanrutcon

Ok, follow me on this one:

Open world Dark Sun game based on 5e. Real time combat with pause, gambit system for your party members. Sprinkle collectables and lore references around the map, make it metroidvania style where you need certain spells/abilities to get to stuff ("Oh, we're going to need Featherfall to get down that chasm"). No big story or plot, just your party, trying to survive in the Gnome-infested desert, exploring to your heart's content, battling giant scorpions and finding new ways to cook sand.

Desless1

Many good memories in the younger days playing lots of these games, and table D&D.

Found some gems hidden in the office as well.
But upload of images failed.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I was reading some weird stuff about "inclusive" dungeons with wheelchair access, for disabled heroes.

Yes, that's wheelchair access.

In dungeons.
Yeah, thats an odd one. One the one hand i don't care what folks do so long as it is balanced when i play (i.e. a crippled character doesn't get a "free" battle wagon magic item that essentially removes their handicap and gives them extra weapons) but on the gripping hand things like being traumatically paralyzed, blinded, deaf, or even something like transgender are things that could be "cured" (treated, remedied, whatever) via magic or godly powers, so why are they even a thing for a heroic player character? Maybe a quest to get a divine oracle to heal your twisted back but it hardly seems like an enduring character trait to me.

But then again, "it looks exactly like me!!!" is kind of an IDpol rally cry, in which case WOTC needs to start telling their artists to add dad bod neckbeards in their works alongside random ethnicity races and they need to make rules for a nagging spouse and whining kids that follow you around on adventures constantly telling you to "take out the trash" and "gimme more silver pieces for my game of minecraft" :p

I went through a phase in the early 2000's, where I was reading FR books, because I loved Baldurs Gate and the FR setting there so much. It was great.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I thought this was going to be about games that had realms that were ignored or not built up.

I was thinking of the one at the end of enslaved

Hnjohngalt

It has some artwork. I suggest if you want art to get this.

Also the dragonlance art book is sublime. The original one that is.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
It has some artwork. I suggest if you want art to get this.

Also the dragonlance art book is sublime. The original one that is.

Thanks for the suggestion, someone else mentioned this too - may as well order it now with all the GAF acclaim it's getting.

AND,

A question for the Masked Lords: should we keep Torment in the list (I thought it belonged because as a game about plane walking on The Wheel it is technically connected to the Realms), or should it be deleted to the abyss since it isn't Realms proper?

Last edited:

BrentonB

Yeah they have a lot of art in them

Havoc2049

I just started playing the Dark Alliance series with my daughter. We are really enjoying it. I finished the original Dark Alliance back when it launched on the Xbox and I bought Dark Alliance II several years back. Looking forward to complete both of them.
7UnYIOH.jpg

jason10mm

Gold Member
I just started playing the Dark Alliance series with my daughter. We are really enjoying it. I finished the original Dark Alliance back when it launched on the Xbox and I bought Dark Alliance II several years back. Looking forward to complete both of them.
7UnYIOH.jpg
Whatever happened to Dark Alliance 3? Covid delay?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Whatever happened to Dark Alliance 3? Covid delay?

There has sadly been little news on it. I am signed up for their newsletter and hit their site up once a week. Hoping that means they have their noses to the grindstone.

I'm not the biggest Drizzt fan around but I am happy he's getting his own game. Also his supporting cast.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
An article speculating on the possible antagonist of D&D: Dark Alliance:

Man I wish they would put out more info on that game. Two years in development and I don't think we've even seen a screenshot, some kind of interview with a dev, nothing.

Top Bottom