• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The first Atari VCS units should be ready by mid-June

Bullet Club

The first Atari VCS units should be ready by mid-June

Two years after the crowdfunding project began.

WpD213h.jpg

Atari’s repeatedly delayed VCS console is nearly ready two years after its announcement. The team has revealed that the first 500 (or so) Atari VCS production models should leave the factory by mid-June. That will still leave the majority of Atari’s 11,597 crowdfunding backers waiting, but the team “cautiously” expects that production for those will get underway this summer now that the parts are available.

Things are still falling into place. Atari has yet to detail the full software lineup for the VCS even with a game subscription deal locked in. Nonetheless, this is good news for backers worried that multiple delays, changing specs and behind-the-scenes drama might prevent the system from shipping.

Whether or not the VCS succeeds is another matter. It’s a relatively powerful device for the money with an embedded Ryzen chip and some PC-like functionality, but there’s no guarantee it’ll be the nostalgia-inducing console of your dreams, particularly if the Atari 2600 doesn’t mean much to you.

Source: Engadget

Kupfer

At this point I don't even know what the console is capable of and what games I can play on it.
I was interested at first years ago, but today it would make no difference if it would never be released.

Lone Wolf

Who is this for? It’s a ryzen APU isn’t it? its a pc with Atari labeling? Does it run a proprietary OS? exclusive Atari games? I don’t get why it even exists.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
RIP Xbots and Play... hmm. What are PlayStation fans called?
We got a new master race lads and lasses. Make way, Atari's ascending to the throne.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
At this point I don't even know what the console is capable of and what games I can play on it.
I was interested at first years ago, but today it would make no difference if it would never be released.

I don't understand the need for a retro console specifically to play retro games. Anything you would want to play, you can emulate on even an old PC with minimal (if any) input lag.

I say this as someone who collections retro hardware, but I do that because it's fun to restore and get working again. 9 times out of 10 if I'm going to play a retro game I'm just going to fire up an emulator on my PC instead of hooking up my Atari 400 or 7800.

00_Zer0

Pre Order Atari VCS now

Looks like the only announced game so far is the $2.99 Missile Command Recharged, which already released on Mobile, Steam and Switch. Pretty good little game too.

I don't know how this survives with Switch still strong in the market, along with new consoles coming this fall, including a cheaper version of XBox (Series S). You have to wonder if Atari will keep any exclusives for themselves since Missile Command Recharged can be found on multiple digital market places. Either way, this looks like VCS will be D.O.A.

2600 was my first console. Atari Corp (se) has been dead since the 90s. This crap means nothing to me.

I've had quite an amazing time though with Battlezone 2016, thanks to Rebellion buying the IP from that mafia and creating all-time early VR great that honors both the original Atari arcade classic and Tron.

Skifi28

How is Atari even alive at this point? How do they make money besides this that will probably flop anyway.

Top Bottom