• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The First 8-bit Bloodstained Game Is Way Better Than It Should Have Been

Good late afternoon.

The reason for that is actually because of one reason.

The different endings and options you have to reach those endings and how the game can literally change depending on choices you make.

All the different choices you can make actually lead up to something different every time you play.

Some of the best parts are entirely new levels and bosses.

There's even an ending you can reach which leads you to play again to reach an ending that makes an actual conclusion.

The twists and turns for the different endings are amazing. There's probably at least a half dozen if not more.

I can't really say much more without spoiling it because it's that damn good.

You really have to know what you're doing and you have to make those decisions without any kind of hints.

What a fantastic game and that was just an 8-bit side game to hold people over until the main game. And in many ways it's better than the main game.

The second 8-bit Bloodstained the game doesn't have as many great endings and choices but it's still well worth it and some of the bosses are insane. I'm going to make one spoiler here that I think was really cool and that's where the game actually a top-down space shooter. It actually involves searching different levels for parts to build a magical spaceship and when it's done you're wrong for an old school top down shooter. I screamed like a little girl when I saw that. It's fucking amazing.

Last edited:
There are two 8-Bit Bloodstained right? What's the name of the second one?
Yes, hello there. In the post above I do mention both even though it's mainly about the first game.

The first game is called Curse of the Moon and the second game is simply titled Curse of the Moon 2.

The one with all the endings in choices is the first Curse of the Moon.

The second game also has many choices but what was really great with that one was the top-down space shooter it turns into after you find the parts to build the alchemical spaceship. Yes, you've heard correct. And alchemical spaceship.

However, even with said spaceship, I like the first one better and I think it has overall more choices and more endings and consequences than the first game.

I should mention that all of this is without any downloadable content. It's all available right there in the game as is.

Last edited:

amigastar

Yes, hello there. In the post above I do mention both even though it's mainly about the first game.

The first game is called Curse of the Moon and the second game is simply titled Curse of the Moon 2.

The one with all the endings in choices is the first Curse of the Moon.

The second game also has many choices but what was really great with that one was the top-down space shooter it turns into after you find the parts to build the alchemical spaceship. Yes, you've heard correct. And alchemical spaceship.

However, even with said spaceship, I like the first one better and I think it has overall more choices and more endings and consequences than the first game.

I should mention that all of this is without any downloadable content. It's all available right there in the game as is.
Thanks for the explanation. I have the first Curse of the Moon in my Steam Library but only played for about 31 minutes.

Thanks for the explanation. I have the first Curse of the Moon in my Steam Library but only played for about 31 minutes.
Oh the games are great. For side games with such a low budget basically just meant to advertise the main game, they are almost in a way better than the main game.

I don't think I've been in as much excitement and all when I saw the top down space shooting segment complete with actually having to find the parts to build the alchemical spaceship. All this in a 2D platformijg metroidvania lite video game.

It was awesome in ways that even the highest budget game could not impress me in a while.

Capture-2020-07-11-19-43-21-1.png

I'll be perfectly honest. I'll be okay with taking a bunch of 8-bit bloodstained games over the main game that they have made. Not that there's anything wrong with Ritual of the Night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. But I sure would love to have an 8-bit Bloodstained game that plays like a traditional metroidvania or even one that plays like Simon's Quest. I freaked the hell out if they made a game like Simon's Quest again under that IP.

Last edited:

Rudius

Check out Odallus then.

Also Curse of Issyos which is free.

The top one looks far better. I personally can't see the advantage of limiting oneself to 8bit style, since 16 bit or maybe "24 bits" (like Neo Geo claimed to be) is much more pleasing to the eye. Maybe it is cheaper and less time consuming to target 8 bit?

anthony2690

Banned
Oh the games are great. For side games with such a low budget basically just meant to advertise the main game, they are almost in a way better than the main game.

I don't think I've been in as much excitement and all when I saw the top down space shooting segment complete with actually having to find the parts to build the alchemical spaceship. All this in a 2D platformijg metroidvania lite video game.

It was awesome in ways that even the highest budget game could not impress me in a while.

Capture-2020-07-11-19-43-21-1.png

I'll be perfectly honest. I'll be okay with taking a bunch of 8-bit bloodstained games over the main game that they have made. Not that there's anything wrong with Ritual of the Night. I thoroughly enjoyed it. But I sure would love to have an 8-bit Bloodstained game that plays like a traditional metroidvania or even one that plays like Simon's Quest. I freaked the hell out if they made a game like Simon's Quest again under that IP.
I don't remember this scene?
& I think I beat the second game twice, I think getting the special weapon parts & I might have done it three times even with the special weapon, I'm not sure now though , unless this is from the first game? (What I also think I beat twice as well)

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The first one is very good. Not real Castlevania good in level design and setpieces, but a solid game.

The second one is trash, unless you play it on easy (and it’s still not that good even on easy). Most screens are just an endless series of “fuck you” cheap traps, and the bosses are bullet hell BS. At least easy mode removes the knockback after you get hit, because the knockback makes some passages basically impossible with some characters unless you pull off an absolutely flawless performance, even on normal.

Top Bottom