• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Fallout Series : What are Your rankings ?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Ok GAF duders. Let's collectively decide via the method of a ranked list of fallout games, from most enjoyed through to least enjoyed...

If you haven't played a game, don't include it in your ranking.

So, here's all the Fallout games in chronological order.

• Fallout (1997)
  • Fallout 2 (1998)
  • Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel (2001)
  • Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel (2004)
  • Fallout 3 (2008)
  • Fallout: New Vegas (2010)
  • Fallout Shelter (2015)
  • Fallout 4 (2015)
Anyhow, here's my rank list:

1. Fallout
It takes the top spot because the reason I got into the series was because of the isometric turn-based combat and choice and consequence cRPG mechanics and design though it was Fallout 2 that I first played. The reason that Fallout 1 comes at top for me is because it is much more neatly designed. Fallout 2 is stuffed with content but Fallout 1 had much better well-rounded condensed content.

2. Fallout 2
Well, I like it but I have to confess that I did not enjoy the opening or some of the 'filler' very much, I think it could have been a bit more streamlined (not cutting locations necessarily, just some re-design). Though the Enclave wasn't as developed as well as the Unity and the Master, I still like the Fallout 2 incarnation.

3. New Vegas
Here's the thing, I consider FNV to be 'the best out of a bad situation' and it is not the ideal Fallout game to me. It did have a lot of good design decisions in it and improved on some aspects of the previous Fallout games greatly but when it comes down to it I didn't get into Fallout so I could grind around in twitchy first person. If I could include Tactics and if Tactics 2 and Van Buren and perhaps even Fallout Extreme had been released then FNV would be ranked lower than all of them. Great writing, lots of choice and consequences, interesting setting, but I 'really' don't like the first person perspective, the action-paced combat system or the 'one big sandbox' world it has.

4. Fallout 3
I don't think Fallout 3 got much right at all. The setting doesn't make any sense, the history doesn't make any sense, the settlements don't make any sense, the factions don't make any sense and a lot of quests don't make any sense. The entire thing can basically be summed down to the developers going "Wouldn't it be cool if ____" to one another and tossing in as much iconic shit they could get away with.

5. Fallout 4
The first time I played through the first three hours, I thought it was pretty bad ass. You felt overpowered in that power armor, and jumping off that roof and landing with that thud was really satisfying. Then, I recreated my character cause he looked odd and hated the first few hours. This was Mass Effect: Fallout, but at least in Mass Effect, I'd get glowing scars and a sense that at least small changes were being made to the story because of my actions. The factions in Fallout 4 feel disjointed - there's no play between them and my character. It feels like the camera should pull away and I should go from Minuteman Mark to Paladin Sally. Instead, every character I make will be General Paladin Minuteman Mary, Guardian of the Railroad and Leader of the Institute PHD, MCSE, CCIE, Esquire. If Fallout 3 was an ocean with the depth of a wading pool, Fallout 4 is a water reserve in California.

MarlboroRed

I'd cut off my left leg for a Fallout 1&2 remaster in a heartbeat. New Vegas was great, and I enjoyed Fallout 3 as well. Fallout 4 was disappointing, but I reinstalled it for a VR playthrough - looking forward to get a second opinion on it.

So I'd rank them..

1) Fallout 1
2) Fallout 2
3) Fallout: New Vegas
4) Fallout 3
5) Fallout 4

Ogbert

Well, I’ll go against the grain.

Fallout 4 is the best. Being nostalgic, New Vegas was charming, but the gameplay sucks balls. At least 4 went some way towards providing acceptable mechanics.

I should add, I haven’t played 1 or 2, so can’t comment on them. Obviously very fondly regarded.

Last edited:

Bankai

I didn't play em all, but I recently DID play through New Vegas for the first time in its entirety. My ranking:

1. Fallout 3
2. Fallout: New Vegas
3. Fallout 4

Although I loved Fallout 4, I didn't think the jump was big enough between 3 and 4. Fallout 3 was such an experience and New Vegas was great as well - didn't grab me the way part 3 did though.

I didn't like Fallout Shelter at all.

scydrex

1. F2
2. F1
3. F3
4. FNV didn't click on me as 3.
5. F4 is bad. Dated, looks bad, very bad pop in, bad streaming, bad loading, very bad LOD. Gameplay sucks. The history meh. Factions is crap. Building settlement sucks. Gameplay mediocre. This game to me was a PS3 game or Fallout 3 with another story. If they continue to use the same old engine for new game? Hell no... will not buy it no matter the price.
6. Fallout 76

Last edited:

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
1. Fallout 2
2. Fallout
giphy.gif

BaneIsPain

I try my best to enjoy FO4 but it’s non existence. Although I like the settlement idea.
I’ve to say New Vegas>FO3>FO4

swaffles23

Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Fallout 4

FO3 was my first time with the series so it holds a special place in my heart. The atmosphere, music, DLC, characters, etc. I love everything about it

R6Rider

Gold Member
I've tried to play 1 and 2, but these games have aged like garbage. So while I'm sure they are great titles, I gave up on them.

Fallout New Vegas
Fallout 3
Fallout 4

stn

Out of the ones I've played: NV > 3 > 4. I got bored of Fallout after beating 4, though.

anthraticus

Banned
Fallout 1 is right up there one of the greatest RPGs of ALL TIME.

2 was a blast, even if it got a little silly with some of the pop culture references and such.

New Vegas was great and a return to form from a writing/reactivity standpoint, despite the shitty gamebryo engine.

Tactics had a very cool premise with some serious potential but the combat system from F1-2 was barely updated here (can now go prone, crouch and......?) and it's is not nearly satisfactory enough for a proper tactical game. Things like being able to shrug off a grenade going under your feet, carry shitloads of weapons/tons ammo or going real time and just mowing down everything with left click was way too viable.and that type of shit has no place in squad based tactical game.

3/4/76 are bastardizations from a completely different team (with no connections to the classics) that didn't really 'get' Fallout... and are basically considered spin-offs.

edit: obligatory ...

ZeXzeV6.gif

Last edited:

CitizenZ

Banned
I have played them all, still have my original boxes for 1-2, and they of course have the best stories but the best world to explore in the series is FO76.

Last edited:

Aesius

Fallout: NV
Fallout 2
Fallout 1
Fallout 4 (don't care what anyone says, this game on survival mode with a few mods is actually excellent...if you ignore the storyline as much as possible).
Fallout 3

Tg89

1>2>>>>>>NV>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>4>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>3

More or less. Maybe swap 3 and 4, I dunno, they both suck.

Last edited:
Well, I’ll go against the grain.

Fallout 4 is the best. Being nostalgic, New Vegas was charming, but the gameplay sucks balls. At least 4 went some way towards providing acceptable mechanics.

I should add, I haven’t played 1 or 2, so can’t comment on them. Obviously very fondly regarded.

Same boat. I even enjoyed the building as it made use of all the crap you pick up in Fallout game. 3 would be next and then New Vegas. I just don't need 350 deifferent type of bullets for each gun. The DLC which was excellent in three was ho-hum in New Vegas.

1. Fallout 4
2. Fallout 3
3. Fallout 76
4. Fallout New Vegas

Last edited:
Top Bottom