• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Falcon and The Winter Soldier |OT| Cap's Best Friends

bitbydeath

I know. He's severely traumatized. He has PTSD and crumbling under the pressure of being CA.

I KNOW the actual villains are Karli and the Power Broker (and maybe Contessa as well).

He's bad guy only because he has the shield and acted too much unlike Steve or Sam or Bucky. We're supposed to LIKE their personalities... Walker was too much like Bro Frat Dude In Charge...

Also, Lemar was basically the one to talk some rationality/calm down into Walker... basically being his Conscience. You aren't a really good person if you need a whole other person as your conscience/moral center. Lemar kept pulling John back from acting on impulse continually.
On the other hand it was Lemar who talked John into taking the serum. I agree that Lemar made John a better person but it still shows John was trying.

RAÏSanÏa

I said the same thing about Sam earlier in this thread. So we're agreed... but it wouldn't have allowed the story to progress that we have right now.

I'm glad they did away with the virus storyline and went with "Robin Hood" Flag Smashers. This makes the villains a bit more sympathetic. That said... I think we agree more than disagree. I'm enjoying this discussion!

Anyway... The one world, one people stuff seems to be what she really believes... her and the rest of the group as the show shows them talking about away from public eyes and ears. They all suffer from PTSD but that doesn't absolve them of their wrongdoing, just like it doesn't absolve Walker.

There's nothing more dangerous than a true believer in a cause... see Thanos and Killmonger.

In the lead up to the montage with Sam many were probably thinking the same thing. I mentioned it earlier in the thread too.

There doesn't seem to be all that much sympathy for the flagsmashers from viewers. There's more fixation on John's qualities for the negative and Sam and Bucky for positive. The flagsmashers are kind of there to serve as only providing a means for other characters to establish their identities. It does seem like there was to be more to the fs and changing the virus plot hurt their arc in this story.

Reading what Wyatt had to say about the upcoming episode regarding John becoming "very dangerous" can't wait to see this finale.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
In the lead up to the montage with Sam many were probably thinking the same thing. I mentioned it earlier in the thread too.

There doesn't seem to be all that much sympathy for the flagsmashers from viewers. There's more fixation on John's qualities for the negative and Sam and Bucky for positive. The flagsmashers are kind of there to serve as only providing a means for other characters to establish their identities. It does seem like there was to be more to the fs and changing the virus plot hurt their arc in this story.

Reading what Wyatt had to say about the upcoming episode regarding John becoming "very dangerous" can't wait to see this finale.

I hope it's as epic and thrilling as I hope

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are still arguing about Walker? We all know he isn't a villain, he's most likely going to end up being a vigilante. Nothing wrong with being a vigilante. That's what you Walker fans want, right?

I haven't seen the latest episode yet but have mutants been mentioned? I'm tired of waiting lol.
No, this is as straightforward as an 80s action movie or Lethal Weapon.

bitbydeath

You guys are still arguing about Walker? We all know he isn't a villain, he's most likely going to end up being a vigilante. Nothing wrong with being a vigilante. That's what you Walker fans want, right?
Now you’ve gone and done it, hope you’re prepared for the anti-John hordes.

anigif_sub-buzz-26290-1601070360-10.gif

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Walker I can’t get past the cut of his jib.

I also think captain America with Wings would be cool. Go get your wings and have them look like eagle feathers.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm really enjoying the show overall, especially episode 4, but if they had more time, they could have let Wyatt have more of a transition period. The ease of drinking the serum and having less of a transition than Popeye feels a little too easy.
Just a nitpick.

ManaByte

Gold Member
OOPS. Disney accidentally released the "all episodes now streaming" TV spot and it ends with a shot of Sam flying in the Captain America suit:

RAÏSanÏa

It looked like an end of episode clip and it's hard to tell if the shield is on his back. The implications! Fly with it on your arm Sam. D+ knew...they knew...

Batiman

Banned
For some reason I really want falcon to get the serum.

Also slightly disappointed in the show overall when it comes to the way the plot is played out. Found it a little messy. Still really enjoying it though. Surprised that I found myself more excited for the next episode of WV more than this. I wasn’t even sure if it was for me. I was much more hyped for this. Zemo is great but it felt like he just came and went. That’s assuming he’s done for the rest of the show. Best actor in the show

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
The Falcon was still the most uninteresting character. Walker had the best character arc over the whole show. Zemo was the best character and even in the end he actually got things done. Bucky was at least human and acted something like a real person, while Falcon was not even a character in the show. He is just a sockpuppet for the creators to tell the audience what they should feel.

Falcon has to preach to the audience, what the message is, they don't even let them discover it for themselves. It is so on the nose like the audience is some toddlers who still shit their pants.

Blade2.0

So is Steve dead in the mcu? They keep saying he's gone, etc. But he wasn't dead at the end of end game. Was just an old retired dude.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Glad I woke up early to watch the finale. Hell of an episode.

• The action was almost as good as an actual Marvel film at brief times
  • Sam's Cap suit was awesome. He was awesome as Cap. Looking forward to him in the MCU films
  • I am ambivalent towards agent Carter being the Power Broker. Maybe they can find a way to fit into the larger narrative of the MCU in an interesting way
  • It was a great idea having it conclude with everyone having conquered their demons and moved on. It makes Bucky almost seem like a new character from here on out. I am glad Walker was redeemed and is US Agent. Sam can now feel like he is worthy of the mantle and doing Steve's legacy proud

Loved it. Now it's Loki time because I really don't care for M.O.D.O.K..

bitbydeath

• I am ambivalent towards agent Carter being the Power Broker. Maybe they can find a way to fit into the larger narrative of the MCU in an interesting way
I’m thinking either:
Mutants (Movie) - Selling people mutant powers
Secret Invasion (Show) - She turns out to be a skrull

Last edited:
Damn satisfying conclusion to the show. That new suit was beautiful and that moment at the end with Isaiah was my favorite of the episode.

Marvel will probably follow the Star Wars path where this show will spawn a bunch of other limited series. Personally I’d like to see:

-A Power Broker show that explores more of Madripoor and Sharon
-A flashback series that shows a young Isaiah Bradley and tells his story
-Zemo. Just gimme more Zemo
-Bucky. And not about his transformation as a character, but rather some stories of what he did as the Winter Soldier under Hydra control

The possibilities are truly endless and I can’t get enough of it.

RAÏSanÏa

Who are you?
Versatile combat tech.

Showcase ability as a communicator.
uN4Orr5.gif

The was one of Walker's most obvious deficiencies to give it the smallest of nods.
Not when you say it.

Sounds like they might fix UP the helmet.
Super Soldier, Tailor, Spy. Like Falcon and the Snowman espionage nod.

We want a rematch vs tictac.

Atrus

Gold Member
It's a great series but marred by eyerolling ideological nonsense. I don't mean the Black Falcon/Isaiah Bradley parts but the weak attempt to legitimize the Flagsmashers and the "terrorist" and "refugee" label nonsense that have real world corollaries.

Everyone got a satisfying conclusion in the end and Zemo proved to be the greatest hero in the entire series by killing the scientist, smashing up the serum vials and then executing the remaining Flagsmashers.

Damn satisfying conclusion to the show. That new suit was beautiful and that moment at the end with Isaiah was my favorite of the episode.

Marvel will probably follow the Star Wars path where this show will spawn a bunch of other limited series. Personally I’d like to see:

-A Power Broker show that explores more of Madripoor and Sharon
-A flashback series that shows a young Isaiah Bradley and tells his story
-Zemo. Just gimme more Zemo
-Bucky. And not about his transformation as a character, but rather some stories of what he did as the Winter Soldier under Hydra control

The possibilities are truly endless and I can’t get enough of it.

Sharons story is not over I have a feeling this will lead into the Armor Wars show given that show will be about Stark tech falling into the wrong hands and given Sharons post credit scene she is preparing to steal a lot of tech.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I thought Sharon was awesome in the first episode she was in. Later on she's kind of bad and they gave away the twist way too early already.

I think its a nice setup for Dark Avengers or whatever they want to do though.

sol_bad

That was an amazing episode and a great conclusion. I loved Sam's new suit, looks great.

His speech was pretty damn amazing and inspiring. I don't care how "on the nose it", there are stupid people out there who don't understand things unless you spell it out to them. Sam's right about the Flag Smashers ideologies, they just went about it in a fucked up way.

They did a great job with Walker to. The show had me hating him in episode 4, then feeling bad for him but still feeling that he deserved his stripping in episode 5, then I was shouting at the screen rooting for Walker to save the people in the ACP.

I really hope these shows get 4K blu ray releases.

bitbydeath

The same writers of this show are moving onto Captain America 4.

sol_bad

The same writers of this show are moving onto Captain America 4.

Holy shit, I'm totally on board with this and for some reason did not think they'd ever do a Captain America 4.

KAL2006

Banned
This show was a disjointed mess. The main storyline about the Flagsmashers was boring. Karli and the Flagsmashers just were not interesting whatsoever. Sam was just ok his speech felt a bit corny, but then again Steve Rogers was also corny so it's probably just a Captain America thing. Winter Soldier feeling guilty is the most typical story telling. The only good thing about this show was US Agent not a full on villain just a guy trying to do the right thing but a but full of himself and has anger issues. The Isaiah parts were also decent. I give the show a 5/10 if I wasn't already a big Marvel fan it would be a 3/10.

bitbydeath

Yeah, I wasn’t a big fan of the speech either.
Expecting the world to change because of a speech was a bit too easy, especially when the details of making it all work goes unexplained.

Top Bottom