• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse - Season 5 - Now Streaming (Amazon Prime)

Ma-Yuan

I hate that Alex is out. Just found out the kicked him because of a me too but nothing of it is true or what really happened on a quick Google search really pissed since he doesn't die in the books. If it wasnt for that a perfect season final. 🙄

GreenAlien

They had such a great opportunity to kill Naomi this season and somehow they end up killing
Alex
instead? Nooo.. :messenger_grimmacing_

Last edited:

manfestival

Just finished the episode. I remember seeing how the writer had a message for the fans of the show to expect a great ending. That was a complete blunder of an episode in my eyes. That stuff feels like it should've popped up earlier in the season. Instead we got this long drawn out season and a character who died whose arc felt incomplete. The focus was so way off. I can't help but feel like this was the worst season of the show.

Ovek

7Member7
The last episode was ok the way they handled Alex’s death was odd and poorly done IMO.

As someone who has read the books I am quite interested how they are going approach the next few books worth of content.
I guess the 25 year time jump won’t happen.

Shouta

lmao at that Alex death.

Did Cas Anvar show up on set that day and just go: "fuck it just write me out"?

They apparently finished up filming before all of the stuff came out. They said they had an independent group look into the accusations and then decided to remove him from the show. So all of the things you saw in this episode are basically digital edits or reshoots.

That's why I thought they did a pretty good job with his death, all things considered. It apparently was a death used for someone else in the books from what people were saying. It also closes the arc for him that's been running for awhile, in a way. He's been trying to reconcile with his family for awhile in the show but that's failed so having him take the risk to save Naomi, someone that he could consider part of his new family, is kind of poetic. The message from Naomi to Holden took on new meaning because of this, somewhat. I really liked Amos' talk to Naomi about it as well. It also kind of ties back into what Drummer said about at least having the choice. The connections are technically weak but again, good considering the situation.

Last edited:

Piggoro

Apparently they filmed the finale with Alex but then reshot and redubbed some scenes/parts to get rid of Kas.
Couple of shots WITH Alex from finale that had to be deleted/reshot/altered:

The party scene in the end was done with him but afterwards parts were reshot and CGI-ed to get rid of him. I actually found a pretty obvious CG head on top of his body in one of the party shots (on 45:58).

Last edited:

Mossybrew

In terms of the narrative, yeah Alex's death seemed to kinda come out of nowhere. If I didn't know about the offscreen reasons I would have been like "WTF really?" Anyway, solid episode to end on, but overall this season has probably been my least favorite.

Last edited:

vpance

Damn I thought they were just going to recast him.

Decent finale. I thought the show looked extra good in this ep. An HDR showcase from start to finish.

Ovek

7Member7
Apparently they filmed the finale with Alex but then reshot and redubbed some scenes/parts to get rid of Kas.
Couple of shots WITH Alex from finale that had to be deleted/reshot/altered:

The party scene in the end was done with him but afterwards parts were reshot and CGI-ed to get rid of him. I actually found a pretty obvious CG head on top of his body in one of the party shots (on 45:58).

Damn I’m surprised they went to such effort and cost, I would have just killed his character off in between seasons and started season 6 with a quick memorial.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
A brief but correct summary of this season would be:

Earth gets bombarded with stealth asteroids killing millions, Naomi does space “Castaway”, other minor stuff happens, Naomi rescued, everyone meets up for a pint at the Winchester on Luna (except Alex who died). Oh and maybe evil space alien ghosts next season.

The final episode doesn’t really have the feel of a season finale at all. The biggest event of the whole season happened like three or four episodes in.

It feels like the show is so afraid of moving at even a moderate pace to advance the story compared to previous seasons.

Mossybrew

It feels like the show is so afraid of moving at even a moderate pace to advance the story compared to previous seasons.

Yeah, this way my main complaint with the season, it was content to linger in long "character building/characters reckoning with their past" arcs but the overall story of this season could have been conveyed in half the episodes.

Fbh

Finally had the time to finish the season.
It was ok but by far the weakest season yet.

It felt slow and disjointed. Separating the cast didn't work out well IMO as you end up with 4 different story lines but none of them were particularly interesting.
Naomi had maybe the most compelling one as it's directly related to the main plot and yet it was still kinda boring as I don't really care about her son and she just spends most of the season crying and screaming.
Holden spends most of the season standing around being "we have to get Naomi!"
Alex and Bobbie spend most of the season sitting in a spaceship.
Amos had the most dynamic and fun plot line, but it felt pretty unrelated to the rest of the story.

I don't know, it just felt like the actual main plot of the season could have easily been condensed into 3-4 episodes.
Also Alex dying sucks, specially in such an anticlimactic way.

At least the ending was pretty good and it sets up what could a great final season.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I share everyone's sentiment about Alex. Total bogus.

The ending just straight up reminds me of the Ori gate ring scenes from SG1.

TsyTG4V.jpg
8KAZxMy.jpg

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
My problem with the casting choice they made (character removal instead of recasting) is that they are mostly likely just gonna substitute that character with a virtual carbon copy sprung out of nowhere. They are depriving another POC actor from taking on that role (same with Black Panther and Cyborg) and instead will have some token bit character quip in every now and then yet somehow do all the near savant level things the original character did.

Durask

Just wondering am I the only one who does not like Drummer? I think the actress overacts like crazy. She literally walks around as if there is a stick in her ass and always looks like she is going to have a seizure.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I loved Season 5, my equal fave with Season 1.

What I didn't love was the way they handled the death scene, and the grief....where the fuck was the actual grief from the Roci family?

Then I saw the outtakes showing him in the VIP lounge scene near the end, so any notion of this was 'all planned' was out the window: that was ridiculous. I'm sorry, but nothing has even been substantiated against the guy, yet he's panned instantly: really soured me on the end of the season and the show. Still love it, I'm no Welwala, but damn.... that was weak.

jason10mm

Gold Member

What I didn't love was the way they handled the death scene, and the grief....where the fuck was the actual grief from the Roci family?

Then I saw the outtakes showing him in the VIP lounge scene near the end, so any notion of this was 'all planned' was out the window: that was ridiculous. I'm sorry, but nothing has even been substantiated against the guy, yet he's panned instantly: really soured me on the end of the season and the show. Still love it, I'm no Welwala, but damn.... that was weak.
Agreed. It was lame and by the time she comes out no one will give a shit that some d tier actor macked on con girls.

I wonder of they actually rewrite story around his absence or if they just insert a clone character that does everything he would have. Recasting the role made more sense than killing the character.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
Just watched the newest season recently. I actually groaned when Naomi
survived floating without a space suit in fucking space! Seriously, that was so stupid. At first I thought „wow, they‘re actually killing off a main character mid-season!“ But no, it turned out she had some stupid space shit she injected herself with to survive. And instead they killed Alex in the end? That makes it even worse, especially considering how lame and boring Naomi‘s story this season was.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
survived floating without a space suit in fucking space! Seriously, that was so stupid. At first I thought „wow, they‘re actually killing off a main character mid-season!“ But no, it turned out she had some stupid space shit she injected herself with to survive. And instead they killed Alex in the end? That makes it even worse, especially considering how lame and boring Naomi‘s story this season was.
That's actually plausible though. A vacuum isn't immediately lethal and the "oxygenated blood" or whatever it was just had to buy her a few extra seconds.

And she suffered quite a bit afterwards, as you'd expect.

You didn't think she would immediately freeze into an ice cube or something, did you?

evolvaer

Banned
That's actually plausible though. A vacuum isn't immediately lethal and the "oxygenated blood" or whatever it was just had to buy her a few extra seconds.

And she suffered quite a bit afterwards, as you'd expect.

You didn't think she would immediately freeze into an ice cube or something, did you?
I think the poster was more complaining about the fact she survived an incredible feat that would have killed any other character as we've seen so many spaced before, yet alex dies of a lame heart attack off screen.

Might as well write a cool character then have him die from an anal fissure, or incontinence, or whatever happens on the oregon trail lol.

99Luffy

Banned

The fact that it was barely news and he still got fired makes me think he got fired for a lot more than the public knows about.

Ballthyrm

The fact that it was barely news and he still got fired makes me think he got fired for a lot more than the public knows about.

I've read the books and the character doesn't do much in the latter books.
As more and more seasons of the same show get made, some character become dead weight and it ended as well as it could have IMHO.

His character arc was over, he redeemed himself for his "real family" after his actual family moved on from him.
I rather have the screentime for more interesting characters TBH, there is enough of them already.

survived floating without a space suit in fucking space!

It a 1 to 1 reproduction of the book. And it's actually somewhat plausible, the biggest concern here being, loss of consciouness from the lack of oxygen to the brain.
The other physiological effects are adressed in the show with her being severely burned and having bursted capillaries everywhere.

Top Bottom