• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Expanse - Season 5 - Now Streaming (Amazon Prime)

CloudNull

Banned
Fuck, that was intense. Actually one of the most intense single episodes of a series I ever watched.
Would have never guessed they come back from season 4 like this.

I am glad you said it. I was thinking the exact same thing but I love the Expanse so i figured my fandom was blinding me.

The episode was incredible and I love the way it was slow played at the start. The scene with Amos sitting in the lobby watching the news unfold on the tv was perfection.

So far this season has been a return to form on what makes the show so great. A political space thriller about the effects on humanity and less about aliens. I hope they keep it up.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
The only thing I don't really care about this season is the Naomi / Filip stuff. Marco Inaros is great, but those two I could take or leave.
Exactly. I would even go so far and say that all that alien stuff is usually the weak part of the show when they concentrate too much on it.
That stuff was my biggest turnoff in the first few seasons, I always thought the protomolecule stuff and particularly the hybrids was kinda lame. It never quite made sense to me either, in terms of what they were trying to achieve (in universe I mean). The thing was so beyond comprehension that it's kinda ridiculous to me that they thought they could turn it into a useful weapon.

Also, not directly related, but I'm not sure I ever quite made sense of the first few episodes either, like why did they blow up the Cant? To blame it on Mars I guess, but then they blow up the Donnager too, making it clear that it wasn't Mars who destroyed the Cant. Was it to kill the survivors? Doesn't make sense, because they let them go on purpose. I'm sure you can come up with a plot explanation (I've read some), but I maintain that it's way too muddy for being the beginning of the show, which sets everything in motion.

Magog.

Banned
Love this show to death but I can't believe they tried to make climbing a ladder exciting. Amos has had a really boring arc this season. I could see it picking up in the next episode depending upon how well they show the devastation after the asteroid impact.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I don't care about the rings. The politics of our own solar system is far more interesting to me.

That shows you're not really paying attention to the politics of the solar system. It's the rings that are driving all of the change.

Without the rings you don't have a destabilized Mars. Without a destabilized Mars you don't have belters with mars warships and mars stealth tech, much less belters with the only known remaining sample of the protomolecule. Access to multiple habitable planets via the ring system has made a sad joke of the core philosophy on Mars. There's no point in dedicating lifetimes to terraforming Mars and all the lives already spent on the project have been rendered meaningless.

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
That shows you're not really paying attention to the politics of the solar system. It's the rings that are driving all of the change.

Without the rings you don't have a destabilized Mars. Without a destabilized Mars you don't have belters with mars warships and mars stealth tech, much less belters with the only known remaining sample of the protomolecule. Access to multiple habitable planets via the ring system has made a sad joke of the core philosophy on Mars. There's no point in dedicating lifetimes to terraforming Mars and all the lives already spent on the project have been rendered meaningless.

What I mean is I don't care to see the show explore the rings I prefer the action in our solar system.

I feel like the space terrorist plotline is disconnected from all else going on. I like that the stakes are high, but that presents new problems. Are they really going to delve into the destruction brought to earth? The show really hasn't cared that much about earth so far. Also, the crew is all over the place and most of the actors can't bring enough to the table to make individual performances matter. This especially a problem for the terrorist plotline because those scenes feature Naomi and she cannot convey authentic emotion. I don't care about her. You only cared about her because Holden cared. She nor the terrorist or her son can make you care about those scenes. You only pay attention because they do evil shit.

Amos, Holden, Bobbie and Avasarala have acting behind them that does the job or far more. Hell, I barely remember what the girl that Amos rescues did or her purpose but that's fine because Amos is awesome. But a lot of time is spent on Naomi and Space terrorists that bore me when they're not genocidal. And the obvious fact that this will have blowback of immense magnitude makes Marcos look like an idiot.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I feel like the space terrorist plotline is disconnected from all else going on......
I kinda agree, the Naomi actress isn't given a lot, especially since the character is supposed to be so smart and calculating. Same way in the book, that she had a kid so very young and then just abandoned him never to be mentioned again was a real disservice to the character IMHO.

The Expanse REALLY suffers from a lack of a fat expository info dump every few episodes. They stay so locked into POVs and give all the "big picture" stuff in quick lines or background graphics that it is easy to lose the greater narrative.

As a book reader I can follow it but my wife is frequently lost. It doesn't help that there is no easy way to distinguish between earthers, martians, and belters. Visually I would have cast more along ethnic lines even if that would have pissed off the SJWs and rabid book fans. Or at least have very distinctive dress for the martians and try harder to cast tall spindly folks for belters. There should be ZERO chubby squat belters!

eot

Banned
Amos, Holden, Bobbie and Avasarala have acting behind them that does the job or far more. Hell, I barely remember what the girl that Amos rescues did or her purpose but that's fine because Amos is awesome. But a lot of time is spent on Naomi and Space terrorists that bore me when they're not genocidal. And the obvious fact that this will have blowback of immense magnitude makes Marcos look like an idiot.
I think the actor for Marco is alright too, and Klaes Ashford stole the show last season, too bad he's gone.

manfestival

I hope people can stick to using spoiler tags while posting anything not in trailers or plot points.

I just started this during the weekend. I got to episode 3. I like the build up and some of the sights but it is feeling very space soap opera to me at the moment.... not a bad thing since Babylon 5 was that way until like season 4/5. Just... want more but I suppose I gotta let the story build up more.

Mossybrew

I have to say that at this point Amos' storyline is starting to drag. It took up a lot of screen time this latest episode, and I really don't care about this chick he's saddled with nor their relationship.

I have to say that at this point Amos' storyline is starting to drag. It took up a lot of screen time this latest episode, and I really don't care about this chick he's saddled with nor their relationship.
Amos is the best part of the show.

We need to drop the Naomi mommy, son, daddy soap opera crap

eot

Banned
I think it's alright, and the Naomi stuff was marginally better too now. Surviving the post apocalypse in the snowy forest isn't very sci-fi, so I get why some people might not want that in their space show. I appreciate that it looked like real snow though, maybe it's fake I dunno, but for example Game of Thrones had lots of really bad fake snow and it bugged me.

Also, how does Bobby not kill those three guys in time?

vpance

I’m no space expert but I don’t think you can fly out there like that even for 1 sec. Cool scene though.

eot

Banned
I’m no space expert but I don’t think you can fly out there like that even for 1 sec. Cool scene though.
You don't die instantly but it's pretty fast. She had that injector with hyper-oxygenated blood though, so you can technobabble it away.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Last edited:
I just hated that they build all this amazing stuff up in the first few episodes, and you feel now it's 'on', and then they follow it up with Amos trying to climb a ladder. And another episode of Amos walking through a fucking forest.

Last episode was okay'ish because of the end. But damn, they have lost their track.

I wanna see what Earth as a whole is doing now.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I think you can live for up to two minutes or something if you do it right, no air in lungs, etc.

There should have been a shit ton of damage though. Wouldn't it make sense for them to just turn around and blow her out of the sky? They have a fleet with rail guns.

I hate the waiting... They need to drop them all at once next time. Either that or I'm waiting till they are all out to start. They are too good.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Damn, I didn't see that coming for Cyn. Seeing that happen is probably not going to help Naomi's relationship with her son.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Haven't gotten around to it yet (figured I'd wait until it had fully aired). Is Alex still in it? I know the Showrunners threw the actor under the Bus over those Twitter Accusations and he's not been shown in any of the promotional material. Not sure as to the extent of his crimes, but it feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth given he played a big role in helping to convince Amazon to pick up the series after SyFy passed on it tbh.

Last edited:

vpance

Haven't gotten around to it yet (figured I'd wait until it had fully aired). Is Alex still in it? I know the Showrunners threw the actor under the Bus over those Twitter Accusations and he's not been shown in any of the promotional material. Not sure as to the extent of his crimes, but it feels like a bit of a kick in the teeth given he played a big role in helping to convince Amazon to pick up the series after SyFy passed on it tbh.

I just found out about those accusations. He's going to be recast for S6.

If he really was groping underage girls at cons, then yeah there's not much else they can do.

Shouta

From what I was reading they had an independent third party look into it and then decided it from there. I don't know if they'll recast or figure a way to write him out.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Oh shit, Anvar is done with the show? I guess those allegations had some teeth to them, or the production is trying to do damage control, or a little of both. We'll probably never know. It sure does suck when the irresponsible actions of one person throw a wrench into the production of things you like.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Oh shit, Anvar is done with the show? I guess those allegations had some teeth to them, or the production is trying to do damage control, or a little of both. We'll probably never know. It sure does suck when the irresponsible actions of one person throw a wrench into the production of things you like.

If they follow the books,
there's a huge time skip coming up at the end of this season or thereabouts, they'll be recasting multiple people and/or making them wear old people makeup for an entire season.

Top Bottom