• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within PC GamePass version is also improved from Steam version of the game.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

EVIL WITHIN FANS REJOICE. The microsoft gamepass version of TEW1 is basically a remaster.

They added a first person mode + FOV option
Infinite ammo mode
Icons for lantern/sneaking in first person view Low/Medium options for Camera Bob
The stamina has been adjusted, you can now run for 5 seconds at default stamina(was originally 3 seconds)
The game also feels less janky and smooth. definitely worth getting!

To what extent I don't know, but still interesting development.

johntown

Banned
I'm sure it will eventually come to the Steam version. An official 1st person mode is interesting though.

peronmls

I had to drop this game because the tone completely changed after the first 2 chapters. It had nice stealth and puzzles in the start and then it went to complete action with hordes of enemies coming after you. I'll pick it back up when this patch comes to steam. I've almost beaten it.

Aldynes

This game is one of my most beloved gaming experience, the gameplay is superb and the setting and atmosphere is completely unique it has so many different inspirations if you are an horror movie fan and played survival horror games, you'll find something in that game that echoes some memories.

For me it is on par with RE1 (director's cut) and RE4 as a continuation of the formula, the gameplay is the key here, I put this above everything else when i rate my time with a game, especially with a horror title, due to the inherent flaw of this genre : once you get familiar with the game, it cease to be scary, so you are left with the atmosphere, setting, story, OST and more importantly the gameplay.

RE1 is amazing to this day because it is very precise and running around raising up your shotgun to blow zombie head off never gets old, nor does it fails (a particuliar flaw of the remake for me) you replay the game many times for this reasons.
RE4 is the similar, don't tell me it's story is what kept you playing it times and times again (for the memes it is) gameplay is king so does the pacing of the game.

The Evil Within is all of that, with added traps you can set, defuse or avoid when used against you and more importantly stealth mechanics (one hit kills ala Tenchu conserves ammo and don't alert all the enemies) a pseudo RPG system for leveling your character (currency found on dead enemies or by exploring that can be spent on either your stats/capabilities or weapons, choices again!) and a reward for each hidden keys you found during the game in the form of a randomized loot (could be ammo, health, currency etc), you can have double HP and more powerfull guns to gun everything down or be more agile and have more traps to flee encounters and hide if things didn't go as planned, letting you try again after the enemies ceased to search for you.

This is more freedom given for you as a player to tackle each situation, more control for you to play stealth mostly or gun blazing by leveling up specific stats that emphasize your playstyle, and a huge boost for the feeling of player progression as you complete the game.

They are so many cool ways to kill many enemies all at once by using smart strategies or setting traps it will reward you the more you experiment, say you got 3 guys running to kill you, you can shoot one in the leg (he falls) you can use a match on him to set him on fire and killing him, if timed correctly you have effectively created a fire trap when the others got so close to maul you, you took a risk and now they are all dead, just using one bullet and one match while avoided taking damage, then again you can just shoot them and spent precious scare ammo and health recovery item for 3 goons.

The whole game is like this, with dozens of enemies thrown at you like (RE4 in the cabin) there is explosive barrels, electrical hazard or traps that can be used in the environment if you find them, superb action moments, memorable boss, classic puzzles, the whole game is full of sandbox type encounters for you to enjoy it's gameplay, it often feel insurmountable but you got so many options that there's never just only one method that work.

Then you got the story and the diversity of locals, periods and enemy types to never let the player feel at ease or accustomed to a situation.

For me personally, it's the only game that merged gameplay, story, horror and depth in its mechanics this well, others got a much better story but flawed/basic gameplay, others would have fun as hell gameplay but a shit setting and a near non existing plot, none of them got the balance quite right as the Evil Within does.

Aldynes

I had to drop this game because the tone completely changed after the first 2 chapters. It had nice stealth and puzzles in the start and then it went to complete action with hordes of enemies coming after you. I'll pick it back up when this patch comes to steam. I've almost beaten it.
This is were the game shines, you have multiple ways to kill enemies when you are outnumbered; just experiment with the game mechanics and learn what can you do to maximize killing while avoiding using much ammo or health item, the game is never unfair, that's why you are not forced to RELOAD each failed stealth encounter if you are discovered! You can avoid combat, but if it happen you are not penalized either that's why the game allows situations ala cabin RE4, just upgrade one of your gun and use matches on corpse to burn the other enemies when they get on top of it, use the crossbow special bolts to immobilize them (electrical bolt) or the light bolt that let you insta kill them when they are blind.

Senhua

As I said before :
While this shitty move is 90% fall on the publisher shoulder , it's non deniable that VALVE share 10% of it as they are too CHEAP with the money they earned.
In the industry when everyone else do that, maintaining "no exclusivity deal" policy only will make Steam user go to another storefront in the long run.
- Sony, Nintendo, Epic, Stadia and Luna 3rd party exclusive deals.
- Microsoft's treatment difference between PC - XBOX GP and also between STEAM - GP/MS Store regarding games availability and patches.

M1chl

As I said before :
While this shitty move is 90% fall on the publisher shoulder , it's non deniable that VALVE share 10% of it as they are too CHEAP with the money they earned.
In the industry when everyone else do that, maintaining "no exclusivity deal" policy only will make Steam user go to another storefront in the long run.
- Microsoft's treatment difference between PC - XBOX GP and also between STEAM - GP/MS Store regarding games availability and patches.
I think it it's shit however Nier version for Steam is "Game of the YoRHa Edition" and GamePass version seems to be new port from Xbox "Become as Gods Edition", not sure what is different, but I've read on reddit, that this patch was done at the request of Platinum Games dev. So that means that Square Enix is fucking this up.

Senhua

I think it it's shit however Nier version for Steam is "Game of the YoRHa Edition" and GamePass version seems to be new port from Xbox "Become as Gods Edition", not sure what is different, but I've read on reddit, that this patch was done at the request of Platinum Games dev. So that means that Square Enix is fucking this up.
If Valve have a slightest care about their platform and customer (not only for $$$$), they should investigate it (for NIER:A case just interrogate SE and make some deal with them if needed) as this will potentially damaging their platform user base.

But I think this is too hard for Valve as all their care is only about E-sport money and their's first party games only (that's which rarely happed at consoles space - remember CP2077 consoles "incidents").

M1chl

If Valve have a slightest care about their platform and customer (not only for $$$$), they should investigate it (for NIER:A case just interrogate SE and make some deal with them if needed) as this will potentially damaging their platform user base.

But I think this is too hard for Valve as all their care is only about E-sport money and their's first party games only (that's which rarely happed at consoles space - remember CP2077 consoles "incidents").
I mean is this responsibility of Valve or is it Square Enix fault? MS clearly wanted to put their own version from Xbox on GamePass, so maybe MS did some extra effort due to GamePass deal, but I worry that Valve doesn't have any sort of obligation to Square Enix and maybe they should be the ones who put there the patched version. I am not really fan of Valve or Steam, but I can't see them being at fault here.

Senhua

I mean is this responsibility of Valve or is it Square Enix fault? MS clearly wanted to put their own version from Xbox on GamePass, so maybe MS did some extra effort due to GamePass deal, but I worry that Valve doesn't have any sort of obligation to Square Enix and maybe they should be the ones who put there the patched version. I am not really fan of Valve or Steam, but I can't see them being at fault here.
While I understand majority of this falls on MS and SE (in NIER A case), I think Valve still share a little responsibility, just investigate it:
- If the cause was MS paid for the port, just make a same deal then for STEAM ver as the game is non exclusive third party one
- If by some miracle there are clause to forbid VALVE to make the same deal (which I strongly doubt it - for patching 4 years old game seriously?), then make a counter deal next time or just speak with Phil etc
I mean yes STEAM is not as closed as consoles but it's not hurt for Valve to give more care for the developer/publisher than just make a sale twice a year is it? maybe make a STEAM direct? make more exclusivity deal? be more aggressive I mean as all your competitor in the industry do it, it's not that hard.

M1chl

While I understand majority of this falls on MS and SE (in NIER A case), I think Valve still share a little responsibility, just investigate it:
- If the cause was MS paid for the port, just make a same deal then for STEAM ver as the game is non exclusive third party one
- If by some miracle there are clause to forbid VALVE to make the same deal (which I strongly doubt it - for patching 4 years old game seriously?), then make a counter deal next time or just speak with Phil etc
I mean yes STEAM is not as closed as consoles but it's not hurt for Valve to give more care for the developer/publisher than just make a sale twice a year is it? maybe make a STEAM direct? make more exclusivity deal? be more aggressive I mean as all your competitor in the industry do it, it's not that hard.
Oh I see what you mean now.

peronmls

This is were the game shines, you have multiple ways to kill enemies when you are outnumbered; just experiment with the game mechanics and learn what can you do to maximize killing while avoiding using much ammo or health item, the game is never unfair, that's why you are not forced to RELOAD each failed stealth encounter if you are discovered! You can avoid combat, but if it happen you are not penalized either that's why the game allows situations ala cabin RE4, just upgrade one of your gun and use matches on corpse to burn the other enemies when they get on top of it, use the crossbow special bolts to immobilize them (electrical bolt) or the light bolt that let you insta kill them when they are blind.
It's a bait and switch for someone like me who wanted the whole game to be like chapter 1 and 2. I enjoy stealth and caution.

nikolino840

There's the mods community for the fixes

BabyYoda

Banned
I wonder if they'll ever update their version of Minecraft to match the console versions, it astonishes me that such a huge mp franchise still has no split-screen on the PC...

Banned

it's sad that most people seem to like the second game more even tho its gameplay became the most generic horror stealth game imaginable... also worse controls (especially on console), absolutely terrible aiming (even with the highest aim assist which is basically auto aim it plays like absolute ass)
deep game mechanics are out of style... most people want the most basic gameplay with a nice coat of paint ontop for instant gratification

Last edited:

Banned
so I just downloaded this new version and HOLY SHIT...

I have played the steam version before, and I could not run the Steam version at anything NEAR a locked 60fps in the intro sequence in the rain... not even close, even after dropping settings.
I just started the Microsoft Store version and it is LOCKED above 60fps (about 70fps in that scene) in the same scene the whole time at max settings and 1440p on my 1070oc.

this is a night and day difference. the CPu usage on the Steam version spiked a single thread, and the new version has a perfectly even spread across every single of my cores! this is an amazing improvement!

update: ok in the scene where the butcher hangs you upside down, the FPS dropped to 55fps with max settings at 1440p. BUT the good news here is that I am 100% GPU bound where I was always CPU bound in the Steam version. so in this case just lower shadow res or the resolution of the game. I chose to lower the res to 1080p and now the framerate is between 80fps and 110fps (the latter one was when you first come to the forest area)

the options menu has options for "30fps" or "60fps Vsync" as the framerate target, but the FPS is completely unlocked if you set it to "60fps Vsync"... so... yeah... weird situation.

what I hope now is for this version to be ported over to the Xbox Series X|S or maybe even the Xbox One systems, as with this CPU performance I see here, those consoles would definitly benefit, the One X might even be able to run it at 60fps now honestly! the series consoles will definitely be able to since they have higher specs than my PC in every way and now with the bad CPU utilization of the original version fixed, this can run beautifully on them! Series X could possible push it to a locked 120fps at 1080p-1440p

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
As I said before :
I don't think NieR and TEW situation has something to do with Valve... Why would they care the state of the game beyond "playable"? It's on publishers to make their games run well to get the sales.

Also, this seems more like a Microsoft good tactic byt funding the ports or optimizations... Like, they probably are using microsoft new game dev API (da toolz that many laugh about that still are in development), and I hope this is not the case so the games will come to other storefronts on PC apart from MS's

What does the FOV option do? I can't tell a difference. I was hoping it'd bring the camera back a little while aiming which is my #1 complaint of this game.

As I said before :
Imagine Halo Infinite releases and the Steam version is the one from July last year 😅

Top Bottom