• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The EU Plans to Force Apple to Include USB-C Ports on Phones

Bullet Club

PBDJw9M.jpg

i1SsJJe.png

The EU Plans to Force Apple to Include USB-C Ports on Phones​

USB-C will become Europe's standard charger "for all smartphones, tablets, cameras, headphones, portable speakers and handheld videogame consoles."

The European Commission has announced plans to force electronics companies to adopt USB-C as a universal charger on all devices – meaning Apple would have to abandon its Lightning chargers, or add a second port to smartphones.

Announced in a press release, the plans have been announced as a means of reducing e-waste "caused by the prevalence of different, incompatible chargers for electronic devices." The Radio Equipment Directive will mean that devices sold in EU countries will need to include USB-C as standard "for all smartphones, tablets, cameras, headphones, portable speakers and handheld videogame consoles."

The directive would also force manufacturers to sell devises without bundled chargers, allowing consumers to keep using their existing USB-C cables. Fast charging would also become standard, meaning manufacturers couldn't artifically limit the speed of USB-C charging, presumably in the hope of making proprietary chargers more attractive.

The directive itself has yet to pass a vote, but European Parliament has already voted in favour of the idea of bringing in a standardised charger, meaning it's expected to be approved. Manufacturers would be given 24 months after the directive passes to make changes to their devices.

The company most obviously affected by this change would be Apple, which uses USB-C on many of its devices but continues to use its own Lightning chargers on smartphones. Apple has not yet commented on the plans.

Of course, the timescale involved means that current Apple devises will continue to use Lightning cables – but it's feasible that the newly-announced iPhone 13 could be one of its last products to use the proprietary charger.

Source: IGN

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Given Apple's selfless, courageous, and definitely not in pursuit decision to not bundle chargers with their new phones, forcing them to ditch lightning (they've already done that on their iPads) will be a lot more palatable.

jason10mm

Gold Member
inb4 Apple goes B R A V E and ditches physical ports to go all in on wireless charging.
A solid phone with no access ports is clearly coming. 100% unrepairable outside of a factory but totally water proof! Wireless charging and all communication is through BT, wifi, or NFC. Yay?

Yeah. This is insane. So now we are letting the government dictate technology decisions? I get the rationale. Decreasing waste. But of all the places to start minimizing waste, cords on smartphones? That’s the priority?

Maybe we should let them standardize the dimensions so we can all use the same case? Hell, might as well just standardize the entire phone. It can be the state-sponsored EU phone. Stuff like that worked out great for the Soviets. We should standardize cars too. That way we don’t have to make so many different kinds of tires. Maybe standardize food. Plenty of waste there. Houses? Why not?

Last edited:
Yeah. This is insane. So now we are letting the government dictate technology decisions? I get the rationale. Decreasing waste. But of all the places to start minimizing waste, cords on smartphones? That’s the priority?

Maybe we should let them standardize the dimensions so we can all use the same case? Hell, might as well just standardize the entire phone. It can be the state-sponsored EU phone. Stuff like that worked out great for the Soviets. We should standardize cars too. That way we don’t have to make so many different kinds of tires. Maybe standardize food. Plenty of waste there. Houses? Why not?
This is already happening and has already happened on way more impactful things. Good luck buying a gasoline car in 5-10 years, for instance.

zeorhymer

The EU throws away 12 million tonnes of ewaste every year. For them to declare this law to save not even 1000 tonnes/yr is pretty fishy. I wonder who paid them off to push Apple out.

Atrus

Gold Member
So what happens if Apple invents a new Ultimate connector that’s more efficient?

Does that mean it has to share the tech for free? If so, why would they invest in research?

What if it is a third-party and they’re willing to licence it. Can nobody adopt it until it is mandate by consensus? Again, why would anyone invest in research if they end up having to sit on it?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Based EU, besides pretty much all other Apple Devices have USB-C, so keeping the lighting port on iPhones is idiotic.

thefool

Im writing this post while driving a diesel car and using my Iphone 6 and there's nothing von der Leyen can do :messenger_beaming:

(i actually support this and pretty much anything the eu does against big american corp, including proprietary bullshit)

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
fuck apple maybe but I am against forcing manufacturers to go one way or another.
I think apple will sooner go full wireless rather than usb c

Thaedolus

Gold Member

First time dealing with EU regs?

LordCBH

People complaining about corporate dick bending over backwards for government dick? Shocker.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
This is the sorta shit governments not in the pocket of big tech firms do, why in the fuck should we have multiple ways to charge our tech, fuck off.. single cable for all and USBC is perfect

daveonezero

Banned
This is the sorta shit governments not in the pocket of big tech firms do, why in the fuck should we have multiple ways to charge our tech, fuck off.. single cable for all and USBC is perfect
I’d that’s what you want just phase out other chargers in your life. You don’t need daddy government to do it for you.

this will have unforeseen consequences like everything else the government does. You think it is a great idea dnd it maybe in a vacuum but the market it snot in a vacuum and there will be consequences.

in the name of pollution they will fuck this up and create a bigger problem. Like was posted before the next phone will only have wireless (very inefficient) and be completely disposable because you can’t change the battery. That will be a much worse reader issue. Just to “comply” with this regulation.

instead they could let companies and the consumers devices what matters to them.

government getting into business through regulation is always bad. In fact it is called something. Not quite sure what it is though. /sarcasm

YCoCg

So what happens if Apple invents a new Ultimate connector that’s more efficient?
USB has been pretty workable forwards and backwards, I think there's a huge chunk of Android phones that actually shove MORE power over USB-C than Apple do with Lightning. Speed, Power and Transfer are all upgradeable within the USB spec, there's no reason why USB4 Type C or USB5 Type C can't be better. Same with HDMI, these upgradeable format cables are meant to banish the past of having multiple prop cables only be usable for one or two specific things/formats.

daveonezero

Banned
Thanks EU for ending this nightmare.
h7oGy3Y.jpg
seriously? how many of those does someone have in use. That is like made for a professional that may encounter those but in the last 10 years most of those have been phased out to better connectors. Most of those are just power. No data.

There are all sorts of adapters you can buy for old serial ports. The government didn't get rid of them and force people to use USB.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Im totally on board and annoyed that they havent gone to USB-C yet, but im not sure i like the government forcing companies to do stuff like this?

Silentium

EU proving again why Europe is a dead continent more focused on bureaucracy than commercial reality.

The best part of this process will be when Apple is able to meet the likely broad common standard requirements by continuing to include Qi in iPhones.

daveonezero

Banned
Im totally on board and annoyed that they havent gone to USB-C yet, but im not sure i like the government forcing companies to do stuff like this?
Right so the solution is you as an individual make the choice to buy USBC. It is a big factor in things for me. I won't buy devices anymore unless it has C or lightning.

Then I have a few things that still need adapters but working on getting that all squared away so one day I'll be all usb c. Like the EU but no one forced me.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
I understand what they're doing however I don't necessarily agree.
What are the plans if somebody came out with a far superior port? Do we just not use it because it isn't the "standard"?
What would we have done if they did this with MicroUSB once upon a time? Be stuck with that still?

Lightning was created because it was far better at the time and yes I do agree it is probably time to adopt USB-C the reason I don't agree is for the future.

Forcing tech companies to do what you want could possibly stifle innovation.

I fully expect in the next 2-3 years the iPhone will be portless and I expect Samsung will be the same at a similar timeframe, perhaps a year longer and the remainder will follow.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

EU is the insecure boy that has to hassle others once in awhile to get their jollies.

the issue with this is the argument that if a new port comes that's better then they can update the standard. the problem is there just won't be any push for a new port because the standard is the standard.

a good measure the EU could do is have a sunset clause for this so they would force the compliance to a point where they pretty much would switch over but after expiration there wouldn't be an impendence for innovation in the future.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
EU proving again why Europe is a dead continent more focused on bureaucracy than commercial reality.
Don’t forget to mention that part where majority of Western Europe has quality of life superior to the US.

Cheap mobile plans and fast speed Internet? Check
Free healthcare? Check
Free higher education? Check
Social net so homeless do not line up next to Market Strret in SF? Check

But hey, you can keep your commercial reality - I will be over there enjoying my fast Internet for $20.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

What a petty thing to complain about. This is a good thing. No one is forcing you to eat shit off the street as a standard. Calm your tits. It's a win vs corporation scum.

The best part of this process will be when Apple is able to meet the likely broad common standard requirements by continuing to include Qi in iPhones.

What a fucking idiot.

Dead continent but it's clearly superior in every way to US for the average citizen, giving a better and more balanced life, fighting against monopolies, fighting for consumer rights.

But hey, you can keep your "getting fucked in the ass" by companies while the EU at least tries to do something about it.

YCoCg

I understand what they're doing however I don't necessarily agree.
What are the plans if somebody came out with a far superior port? Do we just not use it because it isn't the "standard"?
What would we have done if they did this with MicroUSB once upon a time? Be stuck with that still?

Lightning was created because it was far better at the time and yes I do agree it is probably time to adopt USB-C the reason I don't agree is for the future.

Forcing tech companies to do what you want could possibly stifle innovation.

I fully expect in the next 2-3 years the iPhone will be portless and I expect Samsung will be the same at a similar timeframe, perhaps a year longer and the remainder will follow.
EU is the insecure boy that has to hassle others once in awhile to get their jollies.

the issue with this is the argument that if a new port comes that's better then they can update the standard. the problem is there just won't be any push for a new port because the standard is the standard.

a good measure the EU could do is have a sunset clause for this so they would force the compliance to a point where they pretty much would switch over but after expiration there wouldn't be an impendence for innovation in the future.

Again, USB-C is just the physical connector type, there's no reason why the standard itself can not be upgraded for USB4, USB5, etc.

USB-C can also push a lot of power in its current state too.

Think of it like how USB-A hasn't changed physically to us since it was introduced, but how there's a huge fucking gap between USB1.0 and USB3.2

hemo memo

Gold Member
And now Apple will just go wireless..
The idea of one type of charger for all your electronics is great but will Apple do it? Or maybe USB-C only for EU?

Azurro

Banned

Does that mean it has to share the tech for free? If so, why would they invest in research?

What if it is a third-party and they’re willing to licence it. Can nobody adopt it until it is mandate by consensus? Again, why would anyone invest in research if they end up having to sit on it?

Oh yeah, TOTALLY, that's what Apple were going to do, they were going to introduce the BESTEST connector, the year after NEXT, but now because of the EVIL EU, they TOTALLY aren't now. /s

Come on, what a joke, they've had multiple years to switch to USB C, but because they like to keep their customers tied to their eco system, they keep the lightning connector.

this will have unforeseen consequences like everything else the government does. You think it is a great idea dnd it maybe in a vacuum but the market it snot in a vacuum and there will be consequences.

in the name of pollution they will fuck this up and create a bigger problem. Like was posted before the next phone will only have wireless (very inefficient) and be completely disposable because you can’t change the battery. That will be a much worse reader issue. Just to “comply” with this regulation.

So, Apple's plan to "comply" with the regulation is to do what they wanted to do all along? There's a reason they are pushing that all of those accessories to connect to the back of your phone. They want to keep the lightning port to keep existing customers in the ecosystem, while pushing the new "wireless" charging attachment until they have migrated enough people to do so they can drop the Lightning connector altogether.

As a note, in topics like these, you can easily tell when Americans are posting here: Knee jerking about government regulations while being completely ignorant about the tons of existing regulations all around them, starting from the building they live in, the utensils they use to eat, the microwaves, washing machines, etc.

You can even picture them with their tiny american flag going "but muh freedom!!!" while invoking the USSR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom