• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The end of an era - Microsoft has ends official support for Windows 7

winjer

Gold Member

Both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are no longer receiving security updates or technical assistance from Microsoft. Users that persist in running these OSes will only receive rare security upgrades.

Windows 7's formal support was supposed to terminate on January 14, 2020, marking the end of a lifespan of more than ten years. The OS's success, however, prompted Microsoft to decide to delay the mandatory update for a while. Unfortunately, Microsoft ended support for Windows 8 on the tenth anniversary of Version 8.1's release, at the end of 2022. This operating system was never widely used. It's feasible to keep using the OS, but doing so has a few drawbacks. Those who still opt to use them despite the security risks will soon discover that fewer and fewer programs and games are compatible with them. Microsoft recommends that they upgrade to Windows 10 or Windows 11 as a fix. The former will have guaranteed maintenance till 2025. It won't cost a thing to upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 to the latest OS versions.

But upgrading to Windows 11 is already more complicated than necessary because of the security precautions necessary for using modern hardware. Either buy a new computer with the most recent software installed or upgrade the operating system on the one you already have

Admittedly, it has been several years since I last used Windows 7. But it will remain in my memory as one of the very best OS that Microsoft ever made.

giphy.gif

Windows 7 was the last Windows I bought full price. During a build forever ago. Ive been upgrading that version ever since. But Windows 11 refuses to upgrade 😞

Some of those sounds host as much power as the original PlayStation startup.

‘95 especially is one of the most exciting SFX I can think of. The jump from DOS/3.1 (from DOS for me personally) to that… it’s difficult to explain the possibilities it promised.

Last edited:

The Stig

I'm more gutted about Windows 8 ending support, one of the most well-optimized operating systems from Microsoft.
Everyone point and laugh at this person. (just kidding, its just that windows 8 fans are kinda rare)

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Microsoft ended support for Windows 7 in January of 2020 (three years ago!). What they're ending now is their ESU program for Windows 7, essentially enterprises could pay Microsoft a bunch of money to continue supporting the OS. Microsoft isn't offering an ESU program for Windows 8 / 8.1, so both are officially now out of support.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
As a programmer and someone who has been an early adopter of every Windows since 98 SE, I seriously don’t get why people are so, so passionate about “the new thing sucks, the old thing is better, I won’t give it up until I’m forced to”

I’ve always found it easy enough to make the switch and quickly adapt to whatever is different. Never felt so strongly about old vs new

3 exceptions:
- ME definitely sucked, to me all it seems like was a worse-performing + less stable 98SE with bloatware (Windows Media Player)

- Vista at launch had performance issues (e.g. slow file transfer speed) that were fixed in updates. After that it was pretty damn good

- 8 was obviously built with tablets in mind. It was usable for desktops but I can see why MS wanted to get 10 out ASAP and pretend like 8 never existed

Last edited:
11 isn't bad at all.
I'm baffled and confused why people are having problems with 11.
Personally, I like it more than 7.
windows 11 is awful, its dumbed down and locked down more than even windows 10. it also has worse ux and less options overall. They also included drm where you need internet just to finish installing the OS and require a MS account.

Knightime_X

windows 11 is awful, its dumbed down and locked down more than even windows 10. it also has worse ux and less options overall. They also included drm where you need internet just to finish installing the OS and require a MS account.
oh no! not a MS account!
I'm still enjoying it over 7, so it works for me.
Sorry, you have all of those problems. 😭

GymWolf

Isn't that a given?

Saber

Gold Member
I'm more gutted about Windows 8 ending support, one of the most well-optimized operating systems from Microsoft.

The only reason I'm using is because my brother has a licence for me. Windows 8 is freaking terrible. Its almost like it was created with the sole intention of make the user experience an absolute nightmare.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

Some of those sounds host as much power as the original PlayStation startup.

‘95 especially is one of the most exciting SFX I can think of. The jump from DOS/3.1 (from DOS for me personally) to that… it’s difficult to explain the possibilities it promised.

0:30

Nostalgia, when I installed Resident evil 2 and consumed a quarter of my 2 GB hard disk xD

Knightime_X

I hope you are right.
I guess it greatly depends on your hardware.
I have a buddy who is on the struggle bus with windows 11.
We have pretty much the same games and such but he seems to experience more crashes, hangs and all sorts of problems.
But I also suspect he brute forced win11 and just kinda went with it.

dave_d

- Vista at launch had performance issues (e.g. slow file transfer speed) that were fixed in updates. After that it was pretty damn good
Pretty much I used Vista after it had been out for awhile and on a new PC (Q6600 Geforce 9600GT 2GB RAM) and on that PC it was just flew. (So much better than my P4 2.4ghz with 768 meg and a ATI 9800 pro)

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Windows 7 was great for its time. I only used Windows 8 on my working laptop but god damn that tablet is was crap.

I loved w10 way more than 7 though, I never had to reinstall it.

Installed w11 one or two months after release, and I never had to reinstall or anything it just works.

Topher

Gold Member
Windows 7 was great for its time. I only used Windows 8 on my working laptop but god damn that tablet is was crap.

I loved w10 way more than 7 though, I never had to reinstall it.

Installed w11 one or two months after release, and I never had to reinstall or anything it just works.

I wish Microsoft would make a real tablet. Not this 2-in-1 crap like Surface. They are still going with this theory that the desktop OS works as a tablet OS. It just doesn't.

Cryio

I do believe most of y'all are delusional.

Windows 8 and 8.1 have been great and better OS's than W7 for ... 11+ years now. I moved over to W8 Developer Preview in Oct 2011 and never looked back.

All this nostalgia for things that have been outdated for 11+ years, lol.

BlackTron

My new laptop came with 11 on it and I'm consolidating a lot of gaming there, but I never would have installed it myself. Given the option I'd have picked 10 but it wasn't worth changing.

My main desktop is unlikely to get an upgrade for a long time as I got the laptop instead. It runs super stable 24/7 on Windows 7 but the hardware can't coexist with 10. Even have USB port problems. So I will probably still be using 7 for a very long time.

7 is still easily the best Windows but it's unfortunately on its way to XP-land where you will have to be careful and mindful of how you use it.

Top Bottom