• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elegant Universe: String Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo_ZX

An interesting view, I learned a whole lot about the universe... or maybe nothing at all if this proves to be false. Still, a fascinating topic.

The theory tries to combine everything we know about physics and quantum mechanics into one theory that explains everything from the big bang to black holes.

It basically says that atoms, electrons and even quarks are not the smallest fundamental building blocks of matter. Everything in the universe (forces, light, matter, etc) is composed of unimaginably tiny 'strings' of energy that oscillate in different ways to produce different properties. Multiple dimesions are required for this explanation to work (you'll have to watch it to understand).

Of course they can't explain everything so it is probably pretty damn vague compared to reality.

Warning - This is LONG. All the videos combined are about 3 hours total but the streams are very fast.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

Ecrofirt

I saw this on TechTV a long time ago, on their Big Thinkers show.

The guy was saying that the big problem with it right now is that there's no one smart enough to solve the equations, or something of that nature.

Very interesting stuff.

Rolio

posted by ecrofirt
The guy was saying that the big problem with it right now is that there's no one smart enough to solve the equations, or something of that nature.

uh oh, i smell a sequel to good will hunting

Mumbles

I'm not done with it, and actually, I have a good background in physics, but I'd consider The Elegant Universe to be fairly easy for non-physicists to read. I'm going to pick up Greene's other book soon (forgot the title - sorry)

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Zero said:
Read the book The Elegant Universe, by Brian Greene. Good stuff.
Yes.

I assume this show was narrated by him?

Read the book if the information in this show has gotten you interested in this stuff.

SFA_AOK

Yeah this was on in the UK a few months back. Cool program, if only for showing me that Euler theory was useful outside the class I learnt it in last year :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom