• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls series vs. Final Fantasy series?

Which is the best?

• The Elder Scrolls Series

• Final Fantasy Series

Results are only viewable after voting.

Denton

Never played FF since I generally dislike the whole aesthetics and the fact that they are not really RPGs (there is no player agency to speak of, stories are linear, focus is on combat). However I bought FF15 on this steam sale and am going to give it a try.

I enjoyed Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim quite a bit. Not amazing RPGs, but great games nonetheless.

Still, my favourites are elsewhere - Fallout 1,2,NV, Bloodlines, Deus Ex, Kingdom Come, Witcher trilogy, Mass Effect

Deanington

TES for me, with Morrowind being the best out of both franchises/rpg's in general.

EDIT: I think a better poll would be between Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, and Phantasy Star.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Currently these are the two biggest home rpg series not f2p out there, and that goes double as much for home consoles. Strangely I never see them compared despite the constant Wrpg vs. Jrpg debates on the internet.

This thread isn't about what your favorite rpg is, this thread focuses specifically on these two series and which of them you like best. Both have had a plethora of releases and spin-offs, like Redguard, a 1998 third person action adventure spinoff taking place in the TES universe, and Dirge of Cerberus, a third person action game taking place in the FF7 universe.

Both series have influenced many games, although one may say that TES influenced more of the games we've seen the last several years, but FF has influenced nearly the entire Jrpg sub-genre for better or worse, so one could say they are comparable in influence in some respects.

If you have read this far you should notice by now I'm just trying to fill up the page. Tell me which series is your favorite and vote.

Random pics

NMH59Vh9qhQgWqPryizks_TOWXVos8eNI7A4lV9uAGk.jpg

njqgwqkus5h61.jpg
Its like compared a Japanese elegance dinner vs A Carls´Jr food

Last edited:
Come on mate, in fairness Final Fantasy script and characters are all "yippee!", "high five!", etc

It's cheesier than fondue (I like it, but let's not start bragging about how 'epic' it is!).
Whatever man. That didn't answer my post. I guess it truly is to be expected and no surprise not a single fan of Elder Scrolls games can even point to 3 or 4 things that are epic or great characters in those games...

Last edited:
This is a very hard choice for me.
I grew up playing FF (4,6,7,8) and those games and experiences will always -always- be special to me. Fast forward some years and I played Oblivion for the first time during a winter storm where I got trapped at my moms house for 4 days. I spent the entire time playing oblivion. Had never played anything like it and it blew me away. I could never have imagined I’d like a first person rpg lol. Then of course I played skyrim to hell and back.

Both series are important to me but FF has waned over the years. The series has gotten worse with each installment after FF10 which I see as the beginning of the end for the golden age of FF. FFXV was actual garbage and showed they have finally lost their way. I don’t know what ES6 will bring but I’m excited for it either way. I have zero interest in FF16. Maybe less then zero actually.

Tomeru

Comparing incomplete games (TES) to conplete ones never works. You never get the conplete package with an TES game imo (you get plenty of bugs though), so better "game" wise is FF.

Heck, if Im being honest here, TES is a shit piece of software most of the time 🤷

Top Bottom