• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls series vs. Final Fantasy series?

Which is the best?

• The Elder Scrolls Series

• Final Fantasy Series

Results are only viewable after voting.
Skyrim is like a job. It's boring, takes a lot of time, mundane, yet you plop your ass in front of it and start grinding. Something about Skyrim JOB. Something something 40 hours a week.....

Saber

Gold Member
Obviously FF and by a mile. Great stories, most of their games are good ,good character design and gameplay is fair in most of cases.

Elder Scroll is a mess on both gameplay and story. Most of characters names are either weird or created by someone who just came with weird idea(or a kid), gameplay is mostly terrible, with randoness over randomness and alot of stupid rules and hidden mechanics that serves no purpose whatsoever. And this excluding the infinite amount of bugs.

Unk Adams

Banned
I don't think the Elder Scrolls series can even qualify for this considering they never actually release any new games in the series. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a few more Skyrim remasters over the new couple of years.

Roberts

I can’t stand voice acting and characterisation in pretty much every FF game that I have tried, so I get really irritated pretty much from the start. Morrowind, Skyrim and Oblivion are one of my favourite games ever, so the choice was ridiculously easy.

Oddspeak

Final Fantasy.

Elder Scrolls has character customization, true open world design, and a greater volume of things to do (though they're not all equally investing), but increasingly mediocre and inconsistent writing (thanks, Emil Pagliarulo) with little to no particularly memorable characters, and absolutely fucking shit combat. Final Fantasy is more linear, but has way more focus on characters and setting despite each game being different, and some of the non-ATB games have fantastic combat (FFX's CTB system is my favorite turn-based system to date, and FF7 Remake is extremely satisfying if you know what you're doing).

They both typically have good music, but I'd still give it to Final Fantasy overall on that one. And Elder Scrolls has that nasty reputation of being a bug-ridden mess and relying on mods to fix things. I have no interest in touching on sales, because sales =/= quality. If anything, it equals marketing budget.

How many Elder Scrolls games would I say I love? One or two.
How many Final Fantasy games would I say I love? Like eight or nine, and that's only within the numbered main series.

Last edited:
Elder Scrolls is a few tiers above FF.

Only mockingly would someone place those franchises against each other. It's like putting GTA v Saints Row. It's simply AAA v AA.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
If it weren't for Final Fantasy, I would have quit gaming a long time ago.

Elder Scrolls is the tits, though. A very rich, fulfilling series of games.

Last edited:
Elder scrolls is the yamcha of games. After Daggerfall it's all down hill from here. Final Fantasy is the krillin of games. It has highs and lows and manages to vecome relevant yet again even late in the game somehow. Ff7 remake amazed even though we thought krillin was donezo.

Elder scrolls is the yamcha of games. After Daggerfall it's all down hill from here. Final Fantasy is the krillin of games. It has highs and lows and manages to vecome relevant yet again even late in the game somehow. Ff7 remake amazed even though we thought krillin was donezo.

Those are the worst comparisons I've ever heard in my life.

Anyways, playing some FF14 right now and jesus christ this game has some straight bangers

Winnie The Pooh Happy Dance GIF by Leon Denise

DelireMan7

Weird comparison.

I have only play few hours of Skyrim. It looks pretty solid on the RPG side but the combat in First person view is just awful. It made me drop the game quickly. There is a third person view but it was still awful. But I play it after having played Dark Souls for several hundred of hours so I guess the gap between the combat was too big. Should give another try.

Final Fantasy for me. I prefer their colorful world, beautiful music and combat. They just make me dream.

But TES and FF are 2 completely different genre for me so again really weird comparison.

Lol FF is hugely overrated. ES all the way for me. FF7 remake only FF i liked

Also, if this poll was done before acquisition then ES would have won easily but its done now. So u all know what will be the result. Lol

But On serious note. Both are good Series but ES i like more plus mods.

Last edited:

BaneIsPain

FF the only reason I bought my psone. Yeah, FF has more up and down compared to Elder Scrolls but I still enjoyed them.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Honestly Final Fantasy...

This is largely because its not the developer that makes elder scrolls anymore, it was the community.

Final Fantasy stand on what the developers made themselves. Elderscrolls stands on the backs of the community who actively fix and Improve the title to such a respected status.

Please someone refer me to the epic story moments in the Elder Scroll games (and I don't simply mean story exposition or cinematic scene, it could be a dramatic moment but also an action moment). Please link the video.

I would also love any fan of the Elder Scroll series to make a list of their top 10 characters in the series, and if possible link a video of their top 3 characters in a memorable scene.

Great Hair

Banned
I much prefer the Final Fantasy series. Morrowind is among my most hated games of all time.
1980 to 2006
Final Fantasy hands down (FFT, FF7, FFIX, FFX, FFXII) vs Morrowind, Dagerfall
2005 to 2021
Elder Scrolls were more fun, even though they´re always the same. A franchise that has overstayed its welcome.

748140.jpg

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
FF has not been good for many, many years. It has been downright bad (FFXV) and mediocre (FFVR) recently.

Skyrim at launch was amazing. ESVI hype is gonna be insane.

Both of their MMOs can get fucked.

As some who hasn’t played any of the games… I can say…Elder scrolls. If Final Fantasy removed the corny attire and such, Final Fantasy.

Ill be back next week to give my 100% unbiased opinion.

Oblivion blew my mind. I'd never experienced such freedom in a game before.
FF6 will always be in my heart though. And maybe 7.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
After X, Final Fantasy has been shit...

But in honor of all the great games before that, it's Final Fantasy for me.

Please someone refer me to the epic story moments in the Elder Scroll games (and I don't simply mean story exposition or cinematic scene, it could be a dramatic moment but also an action moment). Please link the video.

I would also love any fan of the Elder Scroll series to make a list of their top 10 characters in the series, and if possible link a video of their top 3 characters in a memorable scene.
No one? I guess that was to be expected...

Top Bottom