• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind expansion announced

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
So, what's the version to get if you want Morrowind + the previous DLC expansions + Base game?

Cheapest is probably get the Gold Edition now (or wait for sale for $20-30 depending on what platform) and then get the upgrade version of Morrowind..

Vic_Viper

Cheapest is probably get the Gold Edition now (or wait for sale for $20-30 depending on what platform) and then get the upgrade version of Morrowind..

Apparently GMG is having a sale on both PC versions, 20$\40$ with VIP for base and gold versions.

Is there a Gaf OT for the PC version?

batfax

ss_739afba0c82da6aa10g3s16.jpg

yooooo that looks like the bridge I always build my pillow fort on

SOLD

Speely

Banned
Resubbing. FML. This is my favorite MMO since DAoC and I only stopped because I burned myself out on the awesome. Morrowind and finally the long-hinted Warden class?

Yep. I am fucking back up in this. ESO does such a good job of making exploring regions fun and content-rich that the idea of actually exploring more Morrowind is amazing. I can't wait to see what they do with pre-ES III Morrowind.

justjim89

That screenshot of Balmora is fucking gorgeous.

Trailer was kinda generic and lame. Cliche fantasy stuff and also Dwemer machines were there. Also it bugs me how the Dunmer in the trailer looked decidedly un-Dunmer. Their features were too round, they're supposed to be elven, for God's sake. I was hoping that was Numidium coming out at the end, but alas I don't think so.

Still, I'm definitely gonna get this.

They look like in the original Morrowind. Those ugly alien looking elves came with Skyrim. I hated the Skyrim elves.

I really liked how the female elf looked. The male looked like that yellow thing in Sin City.

New class looks awesome and I must try it. Actually, everything they said about expansion sounds great.

Kalentan

Cuningas de Häme;229485294 said:
They look like in the original Morrowind. Those ugly alien looking elves came with Skyrim. I hated the Skyrim elves.

I really liked how the female elf looked. The male looked like that yellow thing in Sin City.

New class looks awesome and I must try it. Actually, everything they said about expansion sounds great.

Yeah, I like her look a lot.

Also
latest

latest

I know they might be a bit more cartoonish and less realistic but I actually prefer their ESO look.

Anyone know how or where to get a Steam copy of Tamriel Unlimited for less than full price? I want to get into this before this Morrowind expansion drops.

Resubbing. FML. This is my favorite MMO since DAoC and I only stopped because I burned myself out on the awesome. Morrowind and finally the long-hinted Warden class?

Yep. I am fucking back up in this. ESO does such a good job of making exploring regions fun and content-rich that the idea of actually exploring more Morrowind is amazing. I can't wait to see what they do with pre-ES III Morrowind.

You don't have to sub anymore.

Damn, they just HAD to have another art book in the CE didn't they? How can I possibly refuse now? It's the same design as the game's original CE artbook, which is one of the best I've ever seen for a video game. I have a love/hate relationship with the game itself, but they certainly get the CE production and pricing right.

Loxley

Honestly I wish this game would die already.. I know this game is how Bethesda justifies to its self not making TES VI.

Wha? They just released Fallout 4 two years ago. You can bet they're working on ES6 right now - it's just that these games are huge and just take a lot of time to develop.

Elder Scrolls is their biggest cash-cow, there's no way in hell they wouldn't continue on with the mainline entries in the franchise. Not after Skyrim sold 20+ million copies.

What??

Different devs and Todd Howard has already said that they obviously have a new TES in the pipeline.

Todd has said TES 6 will definitely happen, but not for a long time because he's working on two other projects that will release before it, one being a brand new IP. I get the feeling ESO was always intended to keep TES fans engaged until TES 6 is finally ready (earliest 2021).

Of course, wishing for ESO to die isn't going to change anything, but I can understand why some people are frustrated when all new Elder Scrolls content is for a fairly mediocre MMO.

Wallach

Bought the collectors edition. I need that statue. Is there anything else I need? Just the expansions?

You can either buy the DLC packs to own them permanently, or subscribe and retain access to them whenever your sub is active. I generally go with the latter since it comes with other really useful perks (mainly the "crafting bag" which gives you an infinite storage space for all forms of crafting materials, which is pretty invaluable) and some spacebucks for their in-game store every month (which is equivalent to the sub's price relative to the cost of that currency anyway).

Bought the collectors edition. I need that statue. Is there anything else I need? Just the expansions?

You can either buy the DLC packs to own them permanently, or subscribe and retain access to them whenever your sub is active. I generally go with the latter since it comes with other really useful perks (mainly the "crafting bag" which gives you an infinite storage space for all forms of crafting materials, which is pretty invaluable) and some spacebucks for their in-game store every month (which is equivalent to the sub's price relative to the cost of that currency anyway).

I can't even remotely recommend the subscription anymore. Prices of Crown Store items have been skyrocketing so those "free" 1500 Crowns per month won't buy you much these days (last mount to be released was 4500 Crowns for example), and the promise of all content being free for subscribers has now been rescinded with this Morrowind expansion which subscribers will also have to pay for.

The last proper DLC was The Dark Brotherhood back in May 2016. Morrowind releases in June 2017. If you pay monthly you'll have paid $170 since then for no free DLC except two group dungeons. Unless crafting bags are worth that much to you, you're much better off playing without a sub and buying Crowns as and when you need them. I highly recommend just buying the Gold edition of the game which comes with all the DLC released so far, and playing for free. Morrowind has to be paid for anyway, so the next "free" DLC subscribers will benefit from won't be released until at least August, more likely September or October. Really not worth subbing monthly for that from today.

Man I wish I can get in ESO but I cant, for a MMO I find ESO to be the worst in gameplay compared to its competitors, even with its action combat system. It's quite infuriating that a straight up ranged bow build sucks in both casual and competetive gameplay to which Zenimax further cements this in regulating bow as a side weapon.

Yep I'm coming back! Initially as a f2p player but I will sub in a couple of months.

I don't feel the need to sub in, yes it gives faster levelling and access to the DLC, but I'm guessing that will not include this Morrowind expansion. I had on disc to begin with on PS4 but grabbed the Premium Gold Edition on the PSN store for £28 last year, which included the 4 DLC packs and also 5500 crowns, so was well worth it. I'm happy to dig in to Morrowind on launch too.

and that's supposed to be "700 years before the events of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind", Bethesda pls

The concept of time, what is it

banking on player sentiment seems like a priority over getting their setting in order, yet again

Bethesdaaaaaaaa

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Honestly I wish this game would die already.. I know this game is how Bethesda justifies to its self not making TES VI.

Must really just eat you up inside when things you don't like are successful. How do you function, honestly? It would drive me insane.

and that's supposed to be "700 years before the events of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind", Bethesda pls

banking on player sentiment seems like a priority over getting their setting in order, yet again

Bethesdaaaaaaaa

Yeah, I really wish they'd given an explanation for this on the stream. They were talking about the city of Vivec, how many of the cantons hadn't been built yet at this point in time, and how the Ghostfence wasn't built yet, but then said Seyda Neen is here just like players will remember?

It's not just that these buildings wouldn't last 700 years without needing to be completely rebuilt multiple times over, it's that this was a brand new Imperial town in TES3 representing Imperial encroachment on their newest province. If this "town" was here at all 700 years ago, it certainly wouldn't be of Imperial design. But meh, I can see why nostalgia trumps lore I suppose. It just slightly annoys me, and makes me wonder if the majority of people who played Morrowind would also prefer lore accuracy.

There is no doubt that Morrowind has more pull than anything else in Elder Scrolls. When they first unveiled that trailer at E3 with that music- It was carthasis, and that Morrowind theme to this day runs down my spine.

It's great to see games like ESO and FFXIV redeeming themselves. I like that a lot. And I hope a lot more flawed and mediocre game will strive to improve themselves post-launch.

I can't even remotely recommend the subscription anymore. Prices of Crown Store items have been skyrocketing so those "free" 1500 Crowns per month won't buy you much these days (last mount to be released was 4500 Crowns for example), and the promise of all content being free for subscribers has now been rescinded with this Morrowind expansion which subscribers will also have to pay for.

The last proper DLC was The Dark Brotherhood back in May 2016. Morrowind releases in June 2017. If you pay monthly you'll have paid $170 since then for no free DLC except two group dungeons. Unless crafting bags are worth that much to you, you're much better off playing without a sub and buying Crowns as and when you need them. I highly recommend just buying the Gold edition of the game which comes with all the DLC released so far, and playing for free. Morrowind has to be paid for anyway, so the next "free" DLC subscribers will benefit from won't be released until at least August, more likely September or October. Really not worth subbing monthly for that from today.

Both good points. Will have to think about it, maybe see if Gold edition goes on a steep discount soon.

I'm guessing if I subscribe and cancel if I'm not playing for a month or two, I don't lose anything when I come back?

Hah. You almost got me Bethesda, but I ain't playing your muhmuhpergers. Instead I'll just reinstall Morrowind, look through a bunch of mods, get halfway through installing them, then get lazy and give up and go back to my casual games like I always do.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Looks like it's gonna be a huge update going by the price tag.

I bought ESO when it was on sale recently. Haven't really got far but will probably give it another go soon.

batfax

Yeah, I really wish they'd given an explanation for this on the stream. They were talking about the city of Vivec, how many of the cantons hadn't been built yet at this point in time, and how the Ghostfence wasn't built yet, but then said Seyda Neen is here just like players will remember?

It's not just that these buildings wouldn't last 700 years without needing to be completely rebuilt multiple times over, it's that this was a brand new Imperial town in TES3 representing Imperial encroachment on their newest province. If this "town" was here at all 700 years ago, it certainly wouldn't be of Imperial design. But meh, I can see why nostalgia trumps lore I suppose. It just slightly annoys me, and makes me wonder if the majority of people who played Morrowind would also prefer lore accuracy.

As a big fan of Morrowind, I'd definitely prefer more lore accuracy. If they gotta include it, right down to having the boat there and stuff, at the very least I hope it's still very "dunmer" with all that Imperial stuff obviously coming way later in time. It's hard to tell since all that I've seen is that little map though.

Still, they definitely have the hook in me regardless. I suppose I'm a bit of a sucker (and already own ESO anyway) but hey, so long as I run into a certain 4000 year old Telvanni wizard in his "younger" days it's all good.

Both good points. Will have to think about it, maybe see if Gold edition goes on a steep discount soon.

I'm guessing if I subscribe and cancel if I'm not playing for a month or two, I don't lose anything when I come back?

You can get the Gold Edition fairly cheap on CDKeys.com if you're playing on PC.

Subscribing gives you access to all the current DLC available. If you cancel the sub you'll lose access to that DLC until you resub. Morrowind has to be paid for regardless of subscription. So if you want to be a regular player it makes sense to buy the DLC with the Gold Edition of the game and not sub. If you only see yourself playing on and off for a month at a time, it might be better value to buy the standard version as cheap as possible and sub when you want to play in DLC locations.

To start off with, I'd suggest not subbing at all if you already own the base game and just trying out the non-DLC bulk of the game. If you enjoy that, check out the DLC. If you don't enjoy it, there's nothing the DLC offers that will change your mind.

This caught my attention. I played the game in beta, but at the time I didn't particularly enjoy it, but it seems like I should give it another chance. I have some questions about the game:

I'm seeing that it's a solo friendly game, but is there challenging group or raid content? Is the "solo" content confined to one person, or can I duo through the story with someone?

How's the PvP? From what I'm seeing, there's dueling, world pvp options, and some sort of RvRvR content. Is RvRvR populated? Is PvP in general enjoyable? Is it balanced?

Do I have to pay a subscription to get full access to the most important parts of the game?

You can get the Gold Edition fairly cheap on CDKeys.com if you're playing on PC.

Subscribing gives you access to all the current DLC available. If you cancel the sub you'll lose access to that DLC until you resub. Morrowind has to be paid for regardless of subscription. So if you want to be a regular player it makes sense to buy the DLC with the Gold Edition of the game and not sub. If you only see yourself playing on and off for a month at a time, it might be better value to buy the standard version as cheap as possible and sub when you want to play in DLC locations.

To start off with, I'd suggest not subbing at all if you already own the base game and just trying out the non-DLC bulk of the game. If you enjoy that, check out the DLC. If you don't enjoy it, there's nothing the DLC offers that will change your mind.

Thanks! Playing on Ps4, but I'll keep a lookout for a sale.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
This caught my attention. I played the game in beta, but at the time I didn't particularly enjoy it, but it seems like I should give it another chance. I have some questions about the game:

I'm seeing that it's a solo friendly game, but is there challenging group or raid content? Is the "solo" content confined to one person, or can I duo through the story with someone?

How's the PvP? From what I'm seeing, there's dueling, world pvp options, and some sort of RvRvR content. Is RvRvR populated? Is PvP in general enjoyable? Is it balanced?

Do I have to pay a subscription to get full access to the most important parts of the game?

There's some group/raid content, though I've barely done the earliest stuff so I can't comment on the challenge.

Same with PvP. Got dueled three or four times (won each :D) but beyond that, I haven't touched it.

And no, the subscription grants access to the DLC, but you can buy it separately (the first four expansions or so are sold in a fairly frequently discounted bundle along with the game. Bought it for ...$35 maybe? Last month.

It's become much more solo oriented since release. There used to be an end-game zone that was designed purely for group play, but even that was recently redesigned as a solo zone with the One Tamriel update which completed removed level requirements from every zone in the game (a very good move - means you can explore in any zone, regardless of faction choice and level). That said you absolutely can group in this game, and receive an exp bonus for doing so. The lack of level restrictions means a level 50 player can quest with a level 1 friend with no issues whatsoever. Full exp for everyone, and equal challenge.

There are dungeons and raids, but compared to other MMOs these are added incredibly rarely. One of their paid DLC packs last year added a mere two dungeons to the game, so while the content is there it's fairly sparse.

PVP has always been love it or hate it so far. It's a huge 3-way battlefield where you capture and siege castles from enemy player factions, with hundreds of characters on screen. A lot of PVP players have been asking for Battlegrounds and Arenas though, fairly matched team sizes etc, and that's finally coming in Morrowind this June.

You don't need a subscription to access content. The vast majority of content is in the base game. There are three DLC packs that add new zones and factions to join, but they certainly aren't essential to the game. Subscribing grants you access to them for "free" for as long as you remain a subscriber, or you can buy them from the in-game store to play forever without a subscription, or buy the Gold Edition of the game which has all the DLC included (so again, no sub needed for access). So lots of options there. I'd suggest trying the game without the DLC first to make sure you enjoy the base mechanics though.

Subscribers also get a monthly allowance of in-game currency equal to the cost of the subscription, and Crafting Bags which are basically an infinite space storage for crafting materials. Worth noting that the last DLC to add a new zone was back in May though, with the only DLC since then adding two dungeons. The next new zone being added is Morrowind this summer which isn't free for subscribers either, so if the free access to new content is an appealing part of the subscription you might want to consider simply buying the Gold Edition of the game which comes with all the DLC already included, and play for free instead. It would work out significantly cheaper if you plan on playing for more than a couple of months. You can then buy Crowns (their store currency) as and when you need them (they often go on sale), rather than getting 1500 every month as subscribers do. For an idea of how much that 1500 is worth these days, the latest mount added to the store cost 4500 Crowns, so three months subscription. Those monthly Crowns really aren't much.

And no, the subscription grants access to the DLC, but you can buy it separately (the first four expansions or so are sold in a fairly frequently discounted bundle along with the game. Bought it for ...$35 maybe? Last month.
That's good to hear. I'm always weary of "you don't need a subscription to play" games after Archeage. This system sounds reasonable.

It's become much more solo oriented since release. There used to be an end-game zone that was designed purely for group play, but even that was recently redesigned as a solo zone with the One Tamriel update which completed removed level requirements from every zone in the game (a very good move - means you can explore in any zone, regardless of faction choice and level). That said you absolutely can group in this game, and receive an exp bonus for doing so. The lack of level restrictions means a level 50 player can quest with a level 1 friend with no issues whatsoever. Full exp for everyone, and equal challenge.

There are dungeons and raids, but compared to other MMOs these are added incredibly rarely. One of their paid DLC packs last year added a mere two dungeons to the game, so while the content is there it's fairly sparse.

PVP has always been love it or hate it so far. It's a huge 3-way battlefield where you capture and siege castles from enemy player factions, with hundreds of characters on screen. A lot of PVP players have been asking for Battlegrounds and Arenas though, fairly matched team sizes etc, and that's finally coming in Morrowind this June.

This sounds like enough evidence to check out the game. Thanks for the information guys.

ManeKast

I bought it on a whim, some 80hrs later I have become addicted. Amazing game, perfectly soloable but group stuff is rad too. PS4 pro feels nice too.

I'm totally in.

Dervius

There is no doubt that Morrowind has more pull than anything else in Elder Scrolls. When they first unveiled that trailer at E3 with that music- It was carthasis, and that Morrowind theme to this day runs down my spine.

It's great to see games like ESO and FFXIV redeeming themselves. I like that a lot. And I hope a lot more flawed and mediocre game will strive to improve themselves post-launch.

In the MMO vein, The Division has done a pretty enormous transformation since launch. It's in a very good place currently.

Bethesdaaaaaaaa
I've put well over 1000 hours into Morrowind. I could give a single shit about ESOs butchered 'lore'.

Gimme dat sweet Seyda Neen.

In the MMO vein, The Division has done a pretty enormous transformation since launch. It's in a very good place currently.

And Warframe too!

I hear good things about Wilstar and The Secret World. In fact I hear amazing things about the Secret World- But its just not a pretty game. Might make it a hard sell!

Top Bottom