• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls Online: Morrowind expansion announced

Definitely more hyped for this than Stormblood. I enjoy ESO's content diversity compared to FFXIV's stale and safe progression. Getting this day one.

Cyriades

I hate that I never beat Morrowind. sooo close, there was a weapon that I equip that permanently drop my stats to shit! Think it was called Furysword

BizzyBum

I was debating if I should go with the $100 physical CE but just opted for the $60 digital CE upgrade.

The statue is pretty nice but I have nowhere to really display it and the other stuff I'd look at once and throw it back into the box. Everything would just end up in my closet or basement collecting dust so the extra $40 would have been wasted.

Plus I'm weird in that I would want to get the original CE as well to complete the collection and that shit is like $250 sealed now.

Wallach

I hate that I never beat Morrowind. sooo close, there was a weapon that I equip that permanently drop my stats to shit! Think it was called Furysword

Haha, that was Fury. Originally there was a bug that made it permanently shred your Armor skills. It was supposed to just be while you were holding it.

Will there be a physical release of the Upgrade Edition?

(i.e. something that can be marked down over time, so I can pick it up for $10 some day)

Sotha_Sil

It sure would be fun to see Balmora, Ald Ruhn, Gnisis, and Sadrith Mora again..... despite being a big fan of the series since Daggerfall, I never really looked at TESO. Perhaps I should.

I wonder if my namesake (Sotha Sil) will show up....

I want to go back to Morrowind, but not like this. :(

It's probably the closest we're ever going to get.

Unless somehow Beth decides that ESVI or VII could return there. But given how neutered the series has become since ESIII I don't know if I'd even want to go back with the current gameplay system. Almost nothing that made Morrowind good is even in the new games anymore. Looking back, Oblivion, despite its poorly-aged visuals, is still the closest "modern" ES with the old systems somewhat intact.

Kalentan

I really do hope the expansion explains what happened to...

Darien. More so since they already followed it up in the Orsinium DLC and the Dark brotherhood DLC.

Wallach

It sure would be fun to see Balmora, Ald Ruhn, Gnisis, and Sadrith Mora again..... despite being a big fan of the series since Daggerfall, I never really looked at TESO. Perhaps I should.

I wonder if my namesake (Sotha Sil) will show up....

It sounded like the Clockwork City was being saved for a post-launch DLC style expansion. They did mention that one of the PvP Battlegrounds takes place in Sotha Sil's workshop and we'll be hitting small bits of the Clockwork City in the main expansion quest line.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Will there be a physical release of the Upgrade Edition?

(i.e. something that can be marked down over time, so I can pick it up for $10 some day)

I dunno about $10, but even the CD key versions get marked down a bit. I got the Gold Edition on GMG last month for $20. I imagine in a year or so you will be able to get the expansion for around the same.

It's probably the closest we're ever going to get.

Unless somehow Beth decides that ESVI or VII could return there. But given how neutered the series has become since ESIII I don't know if I'd even want to go back with the current gameplay system. Almost nothing that made Morrowind good is even in the new games anymore. Looking back, Oblivion, despite its poorly-aged visuals, is still the closest "modern" ES with the old systems somewhat intact.

All I want in life. Spears, levitation and stuff like hand to hand and unarmored skills. Levitation aside, these aren't even hard things to implement. I don't know why Bethesda is blue balling me.

Kalentan

If there is one thing I am worried about... Since you can start in Vvardenfell, I wonder if any returning characters will actually acknowledge you. It was kind of disappointing to see Lyranth again from the main quest and you can say: "Haven't we met before?" And she just responds with: "Maybe? I think. You mortals all look the same."

Hope that doesn't happen more...

All I want in life. Spears, levitation and stuff like hand to hand and unarmored skills. Levitation aside, these aren't even hard things to implement.

Neither is simple shit like a poisoned apple. Somehow a simple piece of fruit critical to assassin builds somehow slipped Beth's mind. :/

Anyway, I'm straying from the thread topic.

Ok I need to start playing ESO again. I love that universe and I picked up the game a few months back but only played for a couple of hours doing the first series of quests. It didn't really grab me and then I wasn't sure what to do next. Then I started playing Witcher 3.

I hear it picks up and the first few hours of an MMO are always a snooze anyway.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I know it's super early to think about but I'm curious where they go from here as far as major expansions. Vvardenfell is far and away the most important location they can add to the game, both from a location diversity and a nostalgia standpoint. Nothing else from the series past is going to evoke the same kind of fervor in longtime Elder Scrolls fans like this. Also as far as locales, most of the areas in the game, even those that haven't been previously explored in TES games proper are already represented, such as Black Marsh, Valenwood and Elsweyr.

My best guess is the rest of Summerset Isle will be a major feature, perhaps in a proper expansion rather than a DLC. Also they could add the rest of Skyrim too, tho that will probably not garner as much of a nostalgia pop since we've been bombarded with Skyrim releases and remasters over the last half decade.

I know it's super early to think about but I'm curious where they go from here as far as major expansions. Vvardenfell is far and away the most important location they can add to the game, both from a location diversity and a nostalgia standpoint. Nothing else from the series past is going to evoke the same kind of fervor in longtime Elder Scrolls fans like this. Also as far as locales, most of the areas in the game, even those that haven't been previously explored in TES games proper are already represented, such as Black Marsh, Valenwood and Elsweyr.

My best guess is the rest of Summerset Isle will be a major feature, perhaps in a proper expansion rather than a DLC. Also they could add the rest of Skyrim too, tho that will probably not garner as much of a nostalgia pop since we've been bombarded with Skyrim releases and remasters over the last half decade.

They also mentioned the clockwork City as upcoming DLC. There are huge land masses yet to be explored in the game they may not have nostalgia like Vverdenfell but they could be great on their own if they use them right.

Akronis

ESO is not a traditional MMO. Honestly it is pretty much a single player game with other people running around. Quests generally up to the quality level of your average Elder Scrolls quests.

Is there any emphasis on grouping up for PvE stuff? That'd be pretty disappointing if not.

Ennosuke

I bought ESO for launch on PC. I had fun, but somehow stopped playing. So when they offered me the upgrade to Xbox One, I continued playing until level 30, but again I stopped playing. I really love the universe and I want to get back into Morrowind, but first I need to finish the main story. But these days it is difficult to play MMOs because of no time.

lazygecko

An unfinished Skingrad region was datamined much earlier, so that is presumably still in the works. That's a good chunk of Oblivion nostalgia they can still capitalize on. The southeastern Blackwood portion of Cyrodiil hasn't been added yet either.

Is there any emphasis on grouping up for PvE stuff? That'd be pretty disappointing if not.

Most content if soloable if you have the levels and gear but grouping is most definitely the best way to go about it. Some stuff like world bosses pretty much require a group.

Akronis

Most content if soloable if you have the levels and gear but grouping is most definitely the best way to go about it. Some stuff like world bosses pretty much require a group.

Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear! I've neglected this game for so long, so maybe it's time to jump in with some friends.

LiQuid!

They also mentioned the clockwork City as upcoming DLC. There are huge land masses yet to be explored in the game they may not have nostalgia like Vverdenfell but they could be great on their own if they use them right.

Clockwork city is relatively minor and short term. I'm thinking more grand scheme, life of the game. Like what else can they add to the game and feel comfortable charging $40-60 for a retail boxed copy of? Morrowind seems like that is probably the peak for that.

An unfinished Skingrad region was datamined much earlier, so that is presumably still in the works. That's a good chunk of Oblivion nostalgia they can still capitalize on. The southeastern Blackwood portion of Cyrodiil hasn't been added yet either.

I definitely thought about Oblivion but 1. Most of Oblivion's landmass is already in game, and 2. is anybody really nostalgic for Oblivion gates? I wouldn't mind an actual Oblivion zone in the style of Coldharbour, but I'm not sure that's enough of a premise to center an entire expansion around.

I have to imagine the plan is to eventually have all of Tamriel filled in and explorable. I'm sure we'll get there some day as long as the game stays healthy. I'm just curious how popular post-Morrowind expansions are going to be since this is about as big as I imagine them getting.

Clockwork city is relatively minor and short term. I'm thinking more grand scheme, life of the game. Like what else can they add to the game and feel comfortable charging $40-60 for a retail boxed copy of? Morrowind seems like that is probably the peak for that.

I don't see them doing many Morrowind sized 40 dollar expansions at least not more than one a year. But there are huge parts of the map still untouched. Gives them the freedom to flesh out the lore even more.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Every MMO on the planet has trivially soloable PvE quests. One Tamriel just unrestricted the order in which you had to do them and allowed you to group with your friends across factions. Go solo Craglorn, any public or group dungeon or any world boss if you want a challenge.

I played ESO at launch, and the constant risk-reward of taking on tougher mobs and quests was very fun... as well as feeling powerful and being able to take out lesser mobs as I was travelling around the world.

That feeling of progression is totally absent from the game now. It's just the exact same challenge no matter where you go and what you fight. Zero risk reward... which is a huge aspect of what an RPG is.

Soloing dungeons and world bosses is way too hard, almost impossible in the way they are designed. That isn't the same thing in the least to replace the lack of accomplishment and risk reward in the main game.

LiQuid!

I played ESO at launch, and the constant risk-reward of taking on tougher mobs and quests was very fun... as well as feeling powerful and being able to take out lesser mobs as I was travelling around the world.

That feeling of progression is totally absent from the game now. It's just the exact same challenge no matter where you go and what you fight. Zero risk reward... which is a huge aspect of what an RPG is.

Soloing dungeons and world bosses is way too hard, almost impossible in the way they are designed. That isn't the same thing in the least to replace the lack of accomplishment and risk reward in the main game.

It's a valid criticism to have against that particular design philosophy, I won't argue that. I personally look at what is lost and what is gained by moving from a strict, level-based progression to an open-ended, non-linear progression and I think the trade off is worth it. Especially in an MMO based on Elder Scrolls.

Is it perfect? Hardly. I very much wish there were more mobs scattered around the world that are more dangerous than the typical fodder you see yet not as nearly-impossible to solo as the World Bosses. But it's a concession I allow ESO because it's an MMO and not a janky single player RPG that is designed to be more exploitable.

Lucifon

I think they continue to expand upon this with substantial dlc packs and large free updates like before for 1-2 years then do Skyrim. Skyrim sells.

akavir. theres also continents to the north and south that there isn't really much info on. or they could take the warcraft approach and just start adding islands/continents that nobody has ever heard of or spoken about every time they need a new expansion.

Caayn

There's still plenty of ground left to cover in Tamriel. And when Tamriel is done, or they wish to do something different, they can add one of the other continents of Nirn, go for the planes of Oblivion, planes of the immortals or even a different planet within the Mundus plane. The possibilities are endless.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, what's the version to get if you want Morrowind + the previous DLC expansions + Base game?

kevin1025

Banned
So, what's the version to get if you want Morrowind + the previous DLC expansions + Base game?

There would be two options. You'd get the Gold Edition of Tamriel Unlimited + the Morrowind expansion, or you could get Tamriel Unlimited, the Morrowind expansion, and then subscribe to ESO Plus (the monthly service) and have access to the DLC expansions for however long you want to subscribe.

I'd say the Gold edition and Morrowind expansion is the way to go.

Top Bottom