• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion – 10 Years On

OmegaDL50

I wanted to add this to my last post but it got pretty big as it did. Since dating back to Morrowind I have built a new PC for every new Elder Scrolls game for the sole purpose of maxing it out with a heavy mod order.

Back in 2003 when Morrowind popularity exploded was the first time I built a custom PC from the ground up, and I built a new PC for Oblivion in 2007 and I did the same for Skyrim in 2012.

It has been basically every 5 years for each major Bethesda release it seems. And it just so happens that Fallout 4 came out last year, making this year 2016, exactly 5 years from the date that Skyrim came out, which means I'll probably be planning a new build soon by the end of this year / early 2017.

Just got to wait and see how Pascal turns out before I make any final decisions. I think I should be confidently ready for Elder Scrolls VI when it releases in the next 2 to 3 years.

It has been basically every 5 years for each major Bethesda release it seems. And it just so happens that Fallout 4 came out last year, making this year 2016, exactly 5 years from the date that Skyrim came out, which means I'll probably be planning a new build soon by the end of this year / early 2017.

Just got to wait and see how Pascal turns out before I make any final decisions. I think I should be confidently ready for Elder Scrolls VI when it releases in the next 2 to 3 years.

Skyrim's outlandish commercial success (20m + sold) ensures that the next elder scrolls is going to happen sooner rather than later. If the melee combat gets as much improvement in ESVI as the shooting got in Fallout 4 it should be very interesting.

lazygecko

Skyrim's outlandish commercial success (20m + sold) ensures that the next elder scrolls is going to happen sooner rather than later. If the melee combat gets as much improvement in ESVI as the shooting got in Fallout 4 it should be very interesting.

... And it's probably still not going to be as good as Dark Messiah's combat which came out shortly after Oblivion. Even after they buy out the developers, Skyrim's combat was a far cry from Dark Messiah.

... And it's probably still not going to be as good as Dark Messiah's combat which came out shortly after Oblivion. Even after they buy out the developers, Skyrim's combat was a far cry from Dark Messiah.

In fairness, very few games will ever come close to DMMM's combat. Speaking of that game though, it would be cool if they found a way to attach real time physics to the combat in future Elder Scrolls. Kind of like the way it's being done in Kingdom Come. I'd love bring a claymore right down on to someone blocking with a shield and just watch as their arm breaks.

tw1164

I think this was the first game I bought for my Xbox. It was my first elder scrolls game too. The first thing that comes to mind when I think about this game is making my dude jump everywhere to get better acrobatics and getting so tired of closing oblivion gates I wanted to punch someone in the face. There were just too many.

120v

I wanted to add this to my last post but it got pretty big as it did. Since dating back to Morrowind I have built a new PC for every new Elder Scrolls game for the sole purpose of maxing it out with a heavy mod order.

same here. i was kind of concern trolling myself over waiting for Pascal for awhile, but came to the conclusion that as long as i'm upgraded in time for ES6 i'm gold. (well, VR may throw a wrench in that, but we'll see)

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I remember getting it on launch day, entering the Daedra realm, being terrified, leaving and never finishing the main quest.

LOVED the game though, side quests were ace.

I beat this on 360, it was the game I got with my 360. I loved it at the time, put in hundreds of hours. But it's a game you can't go back to. Skyrim is really the full vision of what they wanted Oblivion to be.

lazygecko

There are still larger mods being made for Oblivion. Oblivion Reloaded adds a bunch of new shader functionality to the game, better AA, etc, sort of like ENB (You can still use ENB on top of it) as well as way better LoD rendering quality. Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul is one of the more modern gameplay overhauls. Due to the way it works it's also compatible on top of any other overhauls you have like FCOM, though the game balance might be a bit too much with both of those. Oscuro's and Maskar's are an excellent combo to use together though and I kinda prefer it to FCOM. I also have my own sound overhaul as well as a couple of newer high res textures. Creature Diversity is also highly recommended.

And OCO is pretty much a must these days. Almost fundamentally reworks the character faces to make them actually palatable.

OmegaDL50

There are still larger mods being made for Oblivion. Oblivion Reloaded adds a bunch of new shader functionality to the game, better AA, etc, sort of like ENB (You can still use ENB on top of it) as well as way better LoD rendering quality. Maskar's Oblivion Overhaul is one of the more modern gameplay overhauls. Due to the way it works it's also compatible on top of any other overhauls you have like FCOM, though the game balance might be a bit too much with both of those. Oscuro's and Maskar's are an excellent combo to use together though and I kinda prefer it to FCOM. I also have my own sound overhaul as well as a couple of newer high res textures. Creature Diversity is also highly recommended.

And OCO is pretty much a must these days. Almost fundamentally reworks the character faces to make them actually palatable.

Wow, I haven't played Oblivion in a few years, this might actually make me want to go back.

Some of those OCO screens look comparable to some high quality Skyrim face mods.

I wonder if someone ever tried to retroactively mod Skyrim's perk system into Oblivion. While I like the traditional skill based leveling system of old, Just trying goof around in the Oblivion world / landmass / quests but with Skyrim mechanics might be interesting.

Although I suppose that what mods like Skyblivion is for.

Aizo

Banned
Oblivion is my favourite actually. Mechanically broken in so many ways, but when I look back now I just feel like it adds to its character. Anyone else remember getting their acrobatics skill so high you could jump and die from the fall?
Yessss. Acrobatics is one of my favorite skills. If I fought enemies too strong for me, I'd jump somewhere they couldn't get and shoot them with arrows of magic.

I love Oblivion so much. There are some truly phenomenal mods that add such fresh areas to explore. It's one of my top three favorite games of all time, mostly due to mods. Still, the base game is really fun, and all the major quest lines are quite strong. Oblivion gates are a bit of a bore, but you can skip huge sections with great acrobatics!

Playing this game on PC and messing around with mods and the console codes is the most fun.

megalowho

I purchased a 360 to play Oblivion. Loved setting foot in the Imperial City for the first time, and how every town had its own flavor and history. All of the faction questlines felt weighty, unique and worth seeing through - Dark Brotherhood gets its props but the Mage's Guild path is underrated as well. The Daedric Prince stuff is well done, Shivering Isles DLC was memorable, the speech minigame wasn't that bad. The Oblivion gates themselves got old, but lots of fond memories of the game.

Gave me the chills the first time I entered this World on my new rig. Excellence in every corner. As OP says, my first Elder Scrolls and not the last one for sure.

But man Radiant AI was a letdown. I get that the NPCs still had schedules but that shit Todd talked about leading up to release was just flat out false.

IIRC, they had to turn down the radiant AI late in development because the 360 and computers at that time couldn't handle the extra stress on the system. It really was as great as they talked about, but they ended up having to make compromises later on. I believe this is one of the chief reasons they announced Skyrim less than a year before release as they didn't want to promise anything that would have to be cut. Announcement to release is incredibly short now and it all started with the promises made for Oblivion that they couldn't deliver on.

Worth mentioning that OR, unlike ENB, has very minimal fps impact. Some of the LoD options can tank framerate, however.

It's the first game I ever bought on day one for PC, so I still have a fond memory of it. Even though I think it aged quite poorly.

I remember being blown away after you leave the sewers/prison and are left to wander in the stunning environments. I remember the Dark Brotherhood quest, that was awesome. I remember Shivering Isles.

Still inferior to Skyrim though, and vastly inferior to Morrowind. Just makes me want a TES VI right now. I don't really care about anything else Bethesda does.

IIRC, they had to turn down the radiant AI late in development because the 360 and computers at that time couldn't handle the extra stress on the system. It really was as great as they talked about, but they ended up having to make compromises later on. I believe this is one of the chief reasons they announced Skyrim less than a year before release as they didn't want to promise anything that would have to be cut. Announcement to release is incredibly short now and it all started with the promises made for Oblivion that they couldn't deliver on.

That makes sense. Too bad.

I remember spending so many hours decorating that castle house add-on content.

Favorite house add on. I remember it being speculated on for months as Dragonfire Castle before Bethesda re-did some of it and released it under a different name. I missed the specialized house DLC when it came to Skyrim. Hearthfire was cool, but I wanted my very own lair.

I think I put the most amount of game hours into Oblivion out of any game I've played. Had multiple characters pass the 150-200 hour mark on 360. Then when I built a PC, put hundreds more hours into it, and hundreds more just modding and time spent in the Construction Set.

DOWN

Banned
I randomly thought of this game today and had no idea it just turned 10. I hope they make it Xbox One BC. It's a beautiful game and I think it is only behind Skyrim as one of Bethesda's best ever. Shivering Isles was a marvel.

Top Bottom