• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DualSense controller is probably one of the worst made controllers i have ever owned

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I too have had issues with buttons sticking, namely the X. It's like they aren't aligned properly in the controller and get stuck on the plastic body of it. I'd gladly pay for a more resilient controller without all the gimmicks on it.
The worst I had was the circle and triangle buttons also sticking sometimes.. And the touchpad being "crunchy" when pressed.

Loope

Who would’ve guessed the op would have this opinion? Where there’s a will there’s a way they say.

Launch PS5DE have yet to have any problems and it’s the only console I own. Yet of course, renowned multiple console owner who says he mostly plays on Xbox has a ton of problems.

6 broken controllers, think about it.
What do you mean by this? He bought the console and controllers to break them and talk bad about the material? What are you implying here?

Last edited:

legacy24

Dualsense is an impressive piece of tech no doubt but I prefer the Xbox controller much more. Dualsense gets uncomfortable after a few hours for me. However the Xbox controller fits like a glove.

Topher

Gold Member
What do you mean by this? He bought the console and controllers to break them and talk bad about the material? What are you implying here?

Think he is saying you have to take the source into consideration. The OP's post history isn't exactly friendly to PlayStation. In fact, it is almost entirely negative. Does that mean he is lying? No. Does it mean others are right to be suspicious? I'd say that is perfectly reasonable.

dezzy8

I don’t know how you can break 6 controllers. I still have my 2 controllers from launch with no stick drift, no sticky buttons. I only have the rubber peeling off one of my sticks. I don’t baby my controllers either. You might not need to press your buttons so hard. They work just fine when you don’t.

Loope

Think he is saying you have to take the source into consideration. The OP's post history isn't exactly friendly to PlayStation. In fact, it is almost entirely negative. Does that mean he is lying? No. Does it mean others are right to be suspicious? I'd say that is perfectly reasonable.
I say it is not, taking into account that the poster himself posts a lot in threads about Gamepass for example. If you're suspicious of someone, just move on, since i don't know who would've bought a console just to be able to shit on it. I sometimes pass for hater in the forum of my car brand, because i'm always complaining about small shit and talk well about other brand i used to own.

Plus, that poster clearly implies he broke the controllers on purpose.

Last edited:
Returnal killed the R2 of my first Dualsense (broken spring). Sony replaced it at no costs and I also bought 10 springs from ebay for dirty cheap. If the spring snaps again I will replace it myself (very easy to do).

Topher

Gold Member
I say it is not, taking into account that the poster himself posts a lot in threads about Gamepass for example. If you're suspicious of someone, just move on, since i don't know who would've bought a console just to be able to shit on it. I sometimes pass for hater in the forum of my car brand, because i'm always complaining about small shit and talk well about other brand i used to own.

Plus, that poster clearly implies he broke the controllers on purpose.

Well, you can just "move on" from posts you disagree with as well. You are suspicious of a poster because of their past posts as well it seems. That's fine too. Some console warriors will go to extremes to "shit on" a console they hate. That's an old tale.

Loope

Well, you can just "move on" from posts you disagree with as well. You are suspicious of a poster because of their past posts as well it seems. That's fine too. Some console warriors will go to extremes to "shit on" a console they hate. That's an old tale.
Yes. True, i can and will move on. That poster in particular has been banned several times for console warring, i didn't, and for him to imply what he did is just ridiculous, but i do get your point.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've been gaming since the 80s. A ton of consoles from different makers as well as my bro being a big Apple and PC gamer in the 80s and 90s. Out of every hardware, I think the only broken peripherals we had were:

1. The PS1 additional gamepad I bought didnt go right. Returned it and the new one worked

2. Back in the day those third party joysticks were really rolling the dice, even if it was branded. An Apple joystick's button didn't work after a while

3. Then an Epyx joystick had the same issue (that popular black and red one 30 years ago)

That's it.

Every controller and mouse has worked. And the number of times I've dropped a controller, dropped a mouse or whacked a controller pissed was a lot back then. Still all worked. In recent times, the only thing I get is some dirty ratty Xbox thumb sticks after prolonged use. I must had put in 1000 hours into COD games alone on 360. Still worked.

If someone is constantly getting bad controllers, it's got to be:

1. Misuse

2. A gamer did get a bad gamepad, but when he returns it for a new one, the new one is from the same bad batch the store got in a wholesale case. So all he's doing is swapping a bad one for another bad one

Last edited:

Allforce

Every time I read one one of these crazy stories about someone replacing 12 controllers in a year I always picture people playing games like you see being portrayed on a TV show, violently bashing buttons and swinging the controller around like a total spaz.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I had to replace my R2 spring already and there is a very slight drift on the left stick. Up until DS4's I never had to replace controllers. I had one DS4 eventually have the d-pad issue that would activate the wrong button, another with horrible stick drift, and another with a messed up trigger that you had to press extremely hard to fully activate.

I'm someone who takes care of their shit too so it's not always user error.

Despite the shitty springs, I still love the Dualsense. Easily the best feeling controller I've ever used. It's not even the adaptive trigger that's the issue, it's the regular spring implementation they've used in basically all of the controllers. They're simply worse than other springs used in previous controllers.

Last edited:
Well, I can't disregard the OP's experience all I can is compared to last-gen this time leading up to first-year owning the console where I already had stick drift and rubber padding tear-off of the PS4 controllers I had, the gen has been the total opposite. So I this OP's case might be an outlier.
Hoping it’s just the first gen controllers like the ps4 as the ds4 was a solid controller outside of the battery issues and stick drift but I only had issues with it on launch with the stick peeling but the later versions were good

would love to put it down to treating the controllers rough or throwing them around but I actually treat my shit quite gentle and don’t hurl them or throw them around…my son is pretty good with his as well…the only thing he is guilty of is not charging his controller after playing so he ends up playing most of the time with the USB cord in

as per my original post..I’m only 3 controllers down with the longest life being 4 months (after disabling the trigger resistance) ..my son also has the same issues so we are down 6 controllers in total since launch in our household

LordOfChaos

While it still feels slightly more creaky than I'd like (85% improved over Dualshock 4), I'm still on my original from launch as well. Apart from little creaks developing I haven't had other issues.

Then again some of you are likely well over 10x my hours on it. I think I only had 900 hours on my PS4 and most of you were way beyond that.

Last edited:
I've never broken any controllers in my 20+ years of gaming.

I don't know how some people keep breaking controllers. Seems it's just user error.

I think some don't know their own strength and don't, therefore, realise that controller buttons and sticks being squeezed to within an inch of their existence is not something controller designers can reasonably design for.

I've had friends over playing on my consoles and literally had to take the controller off them because of how hard they were button mashing and ramming the sticks in different directions.

Even myself, I've had to check myself when playing sweaty online MP FPS games after realising I'm pulling the R-triggers waaaay too hard.

So in my mind, if you have:
  • one controller fail = isolated controller fault or wear and tear
  • two controllers fail = possible isolated controller fault, wear and tear or common external issue causing fault (e.g. build quality issue but only if verified by other's experience)
  • three to four controllers fail = common external issue causing the fault, build quality if verified by external experience, or user error
  • five or more controllers fail = user error almost assuredly or known externally verified design flaw

Last edited:

yurinka

Every time I read one one of these crazy stories about someone replacing 12 controllers in a year I always picture people playing games like you see being portrayed on a TV show, violently bashing buttons and swinging the controller around like a total spaz.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
Like with any electronic device, it's normal to see a tiny percentage of defective units (maybe somewhere around 2% or under that), that get replaced with the warranty. So if you got back luck you may get one, or maybe even two defective units.

But half a dozen in half a year being sounds too much. It means ultra bad luck or maybe he's doing something wrong he isn't mentioning like using the controllers as toys for his dog or something like that. Or maybe the story is just a fantasy.

If it would be something common after 10 million consoles sold (+ some extra controllers since many people prefers to buy extra controllers) there would be riots in the streets and it isn't the case, most people seem to be ok with the controller other than normal stuff, like wanting a longer battery like or in some rare cases some controller malfuntion (maybe the normal around 2% or less I mentioned).

Last edited:

Jeeves

I believe it, I had three PS3 controllers and one PS4 controller malfunction, all with very light use. Two of them were pre-owned but the two official brand new controllers broke faster than any of the other ones. All of them had problems within a year of purchase. And I baby my controllers. I still have 20-year-old Gamecube controllers that work without issue after thousands of hours of heavy use in their lifetimes.

Sony does not value build quality in their controllers.

MikeM

I've never had to return a controller ever because of defects... until recently.

Had to send in my Dualsense twice because of the broken trigger spring. I still :messenger_heart: my Dualsense, but the triggers breaking is an annoyance and costs me $15 to ship out every. damn. time.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dont know how many controllers come in a wholesale case or how fast people's broken controllers are getting broken, but if it's a manufacturing batch issue, try refunding your controller, getting your money back and then buying a new one at a different store.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Dualsense is an impressive piece of tech no doubt but I prefer the Xbox controller much more. Dualsense gets uncomfortable after a few hours for me. However the Xbox controller fits like a glove.

Any idea what the ergonomic issue is for you on the DS?

[Sigma]

There's clearly controller abuse going on here and that's saying something because I abuse mine during gameplay. But yall seem to be throwing it, dropping it and probably sitting on it. Controller being stuck in-between the couches and all other types of stuff going on over there.:messenger_tears_of_joy: Stop abusing it.

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
Since 1986.. I have not had a single broken controller in my entire gaming career. I currently have 3 PS5 controllers... They're all perfect.

You people that break triggers, wear down analog sticks, wear them down so that they lose their finish...... I don't understand wtf you're doing and I never will.

rofif

Banned
One Dualsense being faulty i could understand, but 6? Not a chance. We're not getting the complete story here i'm afraid.

Is this you and your son whenever you lose at Fortnite?

Rage Quit GIF by Barstool Sports
I can see this if someone plays daily.
I only finished like 5 games on my ps5 and R2 spring broke.

The battery life for the dualsense isn't great either compared to the Xbox controller for obvious reasons. But overall, the dualsense is still a great controller.

I spilled water on my dualsense and the water got through the gap in the D-pad but the controller still works great.

I believe nobody noticed the OP says this is "one of the worst" controllers he's had. Wow, 6 controllers in less than a year and he's got worse! This guy is a real wrecker!

Ozrimandias

In my gaming life, I've never had any problem with any controller since My Spectrum Sinclair, Not in my Nes, Snes, N64, Ps2, Ps3, Ps4 .... BUT, with my Dualsense (got drift problems in the left stick, replaced it, the no problems at all).

You have terrible luck or, you're using your controllers wrong, with all due respect.
The dualsense to me
has a better quality overall than the Xbox Controller for example (I have both)

Last edited:

balgajo

I had two with R2 problems after a while. I replaced one and it's working fine for now(two months). I will wait a little bit before I send the other.

I also had to add that I never replaced controllers before, but this gen I had problems with joy cons and dual sense.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
My Ps1, Ps2, Ps3, and Ps4 launch controllers are STILL working. Ps5 seems fine too. What an asinine statement.
i got 5 broken DS4's 2 dead batteries on ds3

ps1 and ps2 all fine.. inc a fuck ton of retro controllers..

nah dualshock 3+ is sheit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom