• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DualSense controller is probably one of the worst made controllers i have ever owned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev Kev

I haven’t heard about widespread controller issues with the dual sense, so it seems it’s just you. Really bad luck I suppose, or like others have suggested, you or your son are playing too rough with them (somehow? I mean other than throwing them across the room I’m not sure what you could do to break so many so fast lol).

GHG

Gold Member
People attacking OP because they feel he insulted their favourite brand

OP said I have girly hands:
Maybe ps5 users have girly hands or something

Keegan Michael Key Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I like the haptics but normally turn off the triggers anyhow as I've yet to be impressed by the very abrupt change in tension and they make really cheap sounding clicks and creaks. The slot machine in Astro was good but for anything where the tension should change gradually the more you hold the trigger in I find that they just don't feel right as you can feel it aggressively clicking to the next tension.

Hopefully mine will last the generation like my controllers normally do.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Who would’ve guessed the op would have this opinion? Where there’s a will there’s a way they say.

Launch PS5DE have yet to have any problems and it’s the only console I own. Yet of course, renowned multiple console owner who says he mostly plays on Xbox has a ton of problems.

6 broken controllers, think about it.

Last edited:

Griffon

I can easily believe it.
The PS4 controller too was already total crap and the analog sticks broke under only light utilisation (it happened midway my bloodborne run, which was my first PS4 game...).

And no, I don't break my controllers, as a matter of fact I kept my older Sony controllers in good shape, from PS1 to PS3. I could get any of those out of storage and these would work nicely, and I used those controllers fuckton more than the DS4.

Last edited:
Dualsense is personally one of my favorite controllers. I like it better than DS4. Never had a problem with my launch Dualsense.

I really find it weird how someone can bust through six controllers. Might be human error here.

Hezekiah

Banned
How the hell do you break six six controllers? Like maybe if you're an autistic bodybuilder or something, otherwise that's just ridiculous.

Rizsparky

My launch Dualsense developed drift straight out of the blue, I play around 2 hours a week and always used it gently, washed my hands before use etc, they just have shocking build quality.

Sent it for repairs a month ago and not had much of an update, my customer experience has been pretty poor.

Hezekiah

Banned
I don't doubt people are not using controller the same way
Dualsense has grown on me so i brought a black one for PC now
So i hope i will not discover my way to use them will lead to problem like you in short / mid term.
(but at the same time i never broke a controller and i have 20's of them on all the console i own so my fear is near void here)
I've just bought a black one for my PC too - is there any issue with the battery draining quicker if the controller is constantly charging (I'm assuming you have it connected via USB-C)?

Razvedka

Banned
Was lucky enough to secure 2 ps5s on launch (one for me and 1 for my son) and while i realise there are many of you who are yet to get a ps5
when you do you are going to experience probably the worst build quality since the old Atari 2600 rattle joysticks for the dualsense

Now before we get people jumping in and defending the dualsense..im not having a go about the dual-sense functionality
this is a discussion about the build quality of these controls

So far im up to 6 broken controllers and the only way of pro-longing the life of the control is to turn off the dualsense functions which is completely stupid
and we should not be expecting controllers to last only a couple of months using them the way they were designed

Sons ps5
1st dead control (3 months after launch) Stick drift on right stick and Right trigger stuck on always on unless you physically hold it out
2nd - (2 months after the replacement) X button stuck...both L2 and R2 triggers loose and remain on
3rd - This one has lasted about 6 months as he turned off dual sense on all games but now we have the same issues as the last 2

Mine
2 out of my controls lasted 3 months..and i only game for maybe 1 or 2 hours a day and i take pretty good care of my stuff
The third controller i turned off dual sense functions as well (like my sons) and its also lasted much longer but once again im staring down the barrel of having to replace
2 controllers within a short amount of time as this control has also given up

The main issue seems to be the cheap springs that are used in the trigger any google search you will come up with hundreds of topics about broken controllers or loose triggers
and while many of you are happy to just take them back to the store and replace we should not still be dealing with issues like this after countless class actions against companies
for controller's with defects

bO6r6WV.jpg

SxV1FAM.jpg

i miss the good old days where you could literally demo your drywall in your house and hammer in some nails / bludgeon to death someone and then jump
in and play some Streets of rage with your controller and not miss a beat

These controllers were the Nokias of Gaming
1A6BrVy.jpg
Ive been using my same controller for some 5 months now without issue. Is your rubric for controller quality how well it can withstand you going completely apeshit and hurling it at a wall when a Marauder kills you in Doom?

Seems very pass/fail to me.

SilentUser

Don't know what to say, honestly. Still have my two release dualsenses working perfectly and I play almost every day, albeit not for a long period of time and I usually don't transfer my frustrations to my controller :messenger_grinning_sweat:

GHG

Gold Member

I can't believe this is actually a real thing. The video is hilarious:

OP needs to order 6 of these.

martino

I've just bought a black one for my PC too - is there any issue with the battery draining quicker if the controller is constantly charging (I'm assuming you have it connected via USB-C)?
I'm using it blutooth when battery allow it :D so i do both.
I got it last wednesday but i'm currently facing a problem i didn't have time to solve. the controller doesn't work with genshin inpact using steam input or not.
Using the controler in the game make me stuck not able to do any action (my white one i use with ps5 give me same result so something is going on on my PC)
I didn't tried kena with it another time (i needed steam input for this game)
But this controller seems made for my hand...if it could have better battery and asymmetric stick it would be perfection in my case

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Still using my launch controller, but mileage my very depending on the person.
My brother goes through controllers like mad.
He turned DS4 into a Glossy DS4 with broken triggers and left analogue stick.
I gave him my Dualshock 4 because I got a new V2 model, I had that for years up until the PS4 Pro came out and it was in good condition, lite marks on the Gloss bit with the buttons but still look and felt new and it lasted him 7 months and was fully glossed by the end.
Even the phone case I gave him,( he had the same, and never upgraded) because his literary fell to pieces I had for 2 years and was still in mint condition.
Took him. 4 months for it too look like his old one.
And he blames it on them being poorly made.
People use things differently and they'll always say they look after them, because in their eyes they do.
But that doesn't mean they actually do.

Last edited:

Arioco

I think most of us are still using our first Dualsense controller and it's still working like the first day. If you broke six already... are you sure you're using them correctly? Just asking, but dude, it's weird to say the least.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I have a stack of broken PS controllers from different generations they are shit

I also have 30 year old sega controllers and 15-10 year old xbox controllers that work like new

Anyone who hasn't heard of the dualsense controller issues is living under a fanboy sized rock....

Thaedolus

1 or 2 could be bad luck, half a dozen means you’re likely the problem here. I use mine pretty much exclusively now for both PS5 and PC and haven’t had a single issue except subpar battery life. I think it’s knocked the XBone controller off its pedestal as GOAT.

Imtjnotu

This is what happens when you rage out and throw controllers across the room.

Both of my launch controllers and my newer black controller have zero issues man. None of my friends controllers have any issue.

Synless

Ive put hundreds of hours on my launch controller and probably around a hundred or so on my new second red one, not issues at all. That being said, brother in law has had to replace two of his controllers because of the R2 button breaking.

I love the feel of the controller but I just recently had to replace one of mine. The resistance in the R2 button is completely gone, so I can't even rest my finger on it without it registering a button press.

I had a feeling they might have longevity issues with all of the moving parts. Hopefully I won't have to replace anymore. Never had to do it with the other PS controllers

Markio128

I have a stack of broken PS controllers from different generations they are shit

I also have 30 year old sega controllers and 15-10 year old xbox controllers that work like new

Anyone who hasn't heard of the dualsense controller issues is living under a fanboy sized rock....
Could this just be evidence that you played on PS consoles more than the others?
I kid 😉
Hide Help GIF by ADWEEK

Shut0wen

Few of my friendss have had this issie as well, so far i havnt had an issue with an xbox series s controller but some of the buttons feel incredibly weird

WitchHunter

Was lucky enough to secure 2 ps5s on launch (one for me and 1 for my son) and while i realise there are many of you who are yet to get a ps5
when you do you are going to experience probably the worst build quality since the old Atari 2600 rattle joysticks for the dualsense

Now before we get people jumping in and defending the dualsense..im not having a go about the dual-sense functionality
this is a discussion about the build quality of these controls

So far im up to 6 broken controllers and the only way of pro-longing the life of the control is to turn off the dualsense functions which is completely stupid
and we should not be expecting controllers to last only a couple of months using them the way they were designed

Sons ps5
1st dead control (3 months after launch) Stick drift on right stick and Right trigger stuck on always on unless you physically hold it out
2nd - (2 months after the replacement) X button stuck...both L2 and R2 triggers loose and remain on
3rd - This one has lasted about 6 months as he turned off dual sense on all games but now we have the same issues as the last 2

Mine
2 out of my controls lasted 3 months..and i only game for maybe 1 or 2 hours a day and i take pretty good care of my stuff
The third controller i turned off dual sense functions as well (like my sons) and its also lasted much longer but once again im staring down the barrel of having to replace
2 controllers within a short amount of time as this control has also given up

The main issue seems to be the cheap springs that are used in the trigger any google search you will come up with hundreds of topics about broken controllers or loose triggers
and while many of you are happy to just take them back to the store and replace we should not still be dealing with issues like this after countless class actions against companies
for controller's with defects

bO6r6WV.jpg

SxV1FAM.jpg

i miss the good old days where you could literally demo your drywall in your house and hammer in some nails / bludgeon to death someone and then jump
in and play some Streets of rage with your controller and not miss a beat

These controllers were the Nokias of Gaming
1A6BrVy.jpg
You have the Mr. Breakit perk. It's like a curse. Everything is going south in your hands. Maybe you had a childhood trauma, like falling off and landed on your head or something. You somehow use these items like no one would, and it makes them break. You should visit a witch, maybe she can lift the curse.

Ev1L AuRoN

Ouch, my Dualsense still as good ss new, I had it for about 6 months. The only controller I had problem in recent memory was my OG joycons that came with my Swith, both had drift, one after 6 months, the other about a year, I don't even use them as much, most of my gaming is on the Pro Controller, joycons are used only when portable.

I have a friend that had the trigger problem on 2 of his dualsenses so I know the problem is real, sony should look into it to make the controller more reliable.

DarkestHour

Banned
I too have had issues with buttons sticking, namely the X. It's like they aren't aligned properly in the controller and get stuck on the plastic body of it. I'd gladly pay for a more resilient controller without all the gimmicks on it.

ShigeruMiyamoto

Neo Member
I had one trigger go out on me on a dualsense so far, it's true that the springs are pretty garbage for how much force they can get you to apply on them with the increased resistance. My biggest complaint though is that at least in Canada, Sony makes you pay for the shipping to them instead of sending you a shipping label. I've had more Joy-Cons break on me, but the experience was better since they paid for the shipping both ways.

Well, I can't disregard the OP's experience all I can is compared to last-gen this time leading up to first-year owning the console where I already had stick drift and rubber padding tear-off of the PS4 controllers I had, the gen has been the total opposite. So I this OP's case might be an outlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom