• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The DualSense controller is probably one of the worst made controllers i have ever owned

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maogp

"i take pretty good care of my stuff"

X doubt
:p

I dunno man, I take pretty good care of my stuff as well, and during lockdowns and even now I'm playing a lot with PS5 and Sx, the dual sense is basically new. Perfect working order.
It's solid, the build quality is at high standard, I could use it as a hammer for how much is sturdy, there are not crunches, the buttons are perfect, everything is fine with my dual sense.

Airbus Jr

Banned
How do you guys use your controller ffs

My ps3 controller last to the end of its lifecycle

My ps4 controller last to the end of its lifecycle ( i bought one additional controller but not because the previous one malfunctioned i just want to have new controller with different color)

My ps5 controller hopefully last that long too

Never broke any controller even for frustrating game like souls

Some of you people need to restrain yourself from smashing controller

Also this guy manage to have 2 ps5 during this supply shortage lol

Last edited:
Does turning off the haptic stuff increase the likelihood of your controllers life lasting longer?
it did
Seems to be the games that lock or put more tension cause the issues..spiderman you used the trigger all the time for swinging which caused it to crap out after a while
and wreckfest ps5 update introduced the feedback where it puts tension on the more damage your car takes

Soon as we disabled the function on my sons control i didnt hear a peep from him for about 4 months when he started noticing the drift on the sticks while playing siege as you use these
to lean around corners but the triggers lasted longer

My usage is not as much as his as i game on series x and pc as well but i got the same issues with my controls

Kupfer

What the fuck are you guys doing to your controllers? :D Breaking like 6 controllers since the release of PS5 ? I didn't manage to break 6 controllers in my lifetime.
For me, DS3 was the worst, followed by DS4, they where just made from cheap and thin plastic which is creaking while playing, but the DS5 is fine so far. But I also play very unagitatedly, I don't throw anything around, I don't drop the controller and I don't use it with unwashed dorito hands.
I still used my launch day PS4 DS4 to the day my PS5 moved in and the only "repair" I had to do, was changing the battery. Never had an issue with the loosing rubber on the sticks the internet shitstormed about in 2013.
But maybe I'm just lucky? Only concern about the DS5 was an empty controller after a week in rest mode, although it was fully loaded when put into rest mode. But since the last two firmware-updates this problem seems to be solved.

Last edited:
The DS4 has similar small spring.
I'm very violent with triggers, broke the actual trigger couple of times on launch DS4.
DS4 v2's I haven't had any problems with.
(But fixed those my self, including peeling sticks)

No issues with DualSense yet.

captainraincoat captainraincoat the spring breaks or jumps off?

The DS4 has similar small spring.
I'm very violent with triggers, broke the actual trigger couple of times on launch DS4.
DS4 v2's I haven't had any problems with.
(But fixed those my self, including peeling sticks)

No issues with DualSense yet.

captainraincoat captainraincoat the spring breaks or jumps off?
I have not had a spring snap off...i did read about some users with that issue but im not violent or ragey with my gear
they just lose tension to the point that are like flaps.

the most recent one (the Violet red control) we got back in May crapped out last week ..so that would be 4 months
i just checked all of my 3 broken ones and they are all the same model

I was taking back 2 controls to be replaced but now 3 since last week......the original 3 i have already swapped out
just to re-interate...i dont throw/break/bash these controllers...my usage would be lucky to be 6 hours per week in total

Dust is due to them sitting on my shelf to take back to EB when we get out of lockdown
eYnb2Xy.png

Last edited:
I have not had a spring snap off...i did read about some users with that issue but im not violent or ragey with my gear
👀 getting fatigue/ loosing tension on the spring so soon sounds wrong...

Maybe your kid is the one being violent with the controllers?

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
captainraincoat captainraincoat hit the lottery! Just not the good one. Hope your next set is better. If you didn't contact Sony, you should. No way they aren't under some kind of warranty. Your looking at a controller breaking every other month! Is your real name Ben Grimm?

I've put a lot of hours into the two I've bought since launch day and my oldest kid has been very rough with them and they are still like new. She still loves Astro so they are definitely using all the features. My switch joycons on the other hand ...

NinjaBoiX

I dont understand how you able to break 6 controllers.
Im still using my first dualsense since Jan.
Yup, sorry but it sounds like you’re mishandling them to have them break so readily. I’ve been gaming for decades and have hardly ever had issues with a pad, the odd sticky button here or there but never to the point of having to replace them.

Midn1ght

Breaking triggers, peeling sticks, sticky buttons...

30 years of gaming, dozens of controllers and that never happened to me, not even once.

You people need to relax with your controllers, stop eating Cheetos while playing and trim your god damn nails.

Video Games Controller GIF by Rooster Teeth

Kinda agree on the build quality tho, the Dual Sense features are great and it's probably the best controller I ever held in my hands, but somehow the plastic and overall quality has a cheap feel to it.

Still going strong after 3 months. we'll see.

martino

I don't doubt people are not using controller the same way
Dualsense has grown on me so i brought a black one for PC now
So i hope i will not discover my way to use them will lead to problem like you in short / mid term.
(but at the same time i never broke a controller and i have 20's of them on all the console i own so my fear is near void here)

Last edited:

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Yeah I've had to exchange one of my dualsense controllers, as the R2 trigger spring broke after ten months use.

Last edited:
im kind of in the same boat. now of course its also down to how lucky you are because all of my friends still have their launch controller working fine.

after 4 months, the haptics were acting weird. sometimes it would just stop vibrating while im shooting a gun but its hard to describe, almost like a sharp scratching feeling that was unusual. bought another one and few days after the r2 was getting loose. bought another and there was barely any resistance on the trigger. now i have the black dualsense and things are ok so far.

my entirety of playing video games, i have never bought that many controllers in a short amount of time. i never bought another dualshock 4 for pretty the whole gen for ps4

but im more leaning towards me just being unlucky. if im seeing a bunch of dudes saying theirs still working since launch, then i dont imagine its a major issue. its annoying but you gotta look at the bigger picture.

Mr.ODST

Had to get two of my dualsenses fixed.

Trigger stopped working on 1 Month Cosmic Red

Stick Drift and X not working on 5 month White Dualsense

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Although prefer the tightness of the DualSense sticks compared to the series X controller, and the haptics are fun, that's really where my liking of the controller ends however.

For me, it's uncomfortable during long sessions. It feels "big" and I feel the ache and fatigue in my hands.

The battery still drains way too fast.

The triggers, although great tech, do feel a bit cheap and I feel like I'm counting the days until one of them dies.

Touch pad is pretty useless as it was on the 4.

I don't like the ps button and would've preferred a round button instead of the ps shaped one.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Yup, sorry but it sounds like you’re mishandling them to have them break so readily. I’ve been gaming for decades and have hardly ever had issues with a pad, the odd sticky button here or there but never to the point of having to replace them.
These same allegations were made against people who complained that the rubber was peeling off their dualshock sticks. Just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it's not a real issue.

emivita

I love my DS4 V2, I also have the back button adapter as I'm never comfortable pressing L3 to run in most 1p games and even a few 3p games. DS4 + back button is just perfect.

I still don't have a PS5 and won't have one until a V2 release. I really want to use those adaptive triggers when I'll get one, and hopefully with the back button adapter.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
I have to admit, there are 2 thing I don't like about it:
1. the mushy feeling D-pad. It's honestly worse than PS3's and even PS4's
2. Durability seems to be a problem with the triggers. I had to get one replaced because of very low tension of the right trigger; it almost felt loose.

Other than that, I absolutely love its functionality and design. Games really are better with great haptics and the sticks are great.
Maybe they should of just added the haptics and not adaptive triggers. Give it another year and we will see if it is a serious problem or just a few bad units.

Edit: Can we knock off the “you’re using it wrong” comments. None of us know one way or another how he is using it. Problems happen on all hardware. Look at the Xbox 360. I guess all those people that got red ring just used their console wrong too right.

Last edited:

DeepSpace5D

Never had a single issue with either of my two Dualsense controllers. I love them personally as far as weight and feel in the hands.

Last edited:
Maybe they should of just added the haptics and not adaptive triggers. Give it another year and we will see if it is a serious problem or just a few bad units.
That’s what I think is the issue…lots of reddit posts and stuff that comes up in google but because the ps5/series x are still supply constrained you don’t have the masses using these controllers

a quick search also brings up a heap of places selling replacement springs and guides to fix the issue…all basically void your warranty and depending on the country you are in consumer guarantees are different

Maybe ps5 users have girly hands or something as the controllers are treated pretty well and I don’t do lines of coke or use them for mini golf but seem to keep having issues after 3 months

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member

the most recent one (the Violet red control) we got back in May crapped out last week ..so that would be 4 months
i just checked all of my 3 broken ones and they are all the same model

I was taking back 2 controls to be replaced but now 3 since last week......the original 3 i have already swapped out
just to re-interate...i dont throw/break/bash these controllers...my usage would be lucky to be 6 hours per week in total

Dust is due to them sitting on my shelf to take back to EB when we get out of lockdown
eYnb2Xy.png

the sandlot dust GIF

give those things a bit of love man

Banjo64

cumsessed
6? I dunno man, seems a bit sus. I have played through Astro with mine before turning the haptic triggers off. That seems to be the main ‘quality control’ issue.

I’ve never had a controller from PS or Xbox have stick drift, and I play a lot. Like, a lot. Only the joy-con has drifted for me.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
it did
Seems to be the games that lock or put more tension cause the issues..spiderman you used the trigger all the time for swinging which caused it to crap out after a while
and wreckfest ps5 update introduced the feedback where it puts tension on the more damage your car takes

Soon as we disabled the function on my sons control i didnt hear a peep from him for about 4 months when he started noticing the drift on the sticks while playing siege as you use these
to lean around corners but the triggers lasted longer

My usage is not as much as his as i game on series x and pc as well but i got the same issues with my controls
Wreckfest and Maneater I suspect killed my R2 trigger.

AddiF

Haven't had these issues with the triggers yet but I did however turn off the haptic feedback because I always feel like something will break. It rattles and makes a lot of noise, but I do occasionally turn it on just for fun. It's cool and I love the feature, but it also feels like something will give in.

Actually, haven't had any real issues with the DualSense regarding failure. I have 4, because why not... also, sucker for different colors - N64 caused that. Thanks Nintendo.

My biggest gripe so far, other that feeling like something might break regarding the triggers, is the small annoying click in two thumsticks in two of my controllers. Not a huge deal, but when making slow, precise movement, I get this small 'click' where the thumbstick spring, I think, moves a bit out of or resets itself into position. It bugs me because it reminds me of the annoying clicks I have in my right wrist hah.

Also, the D-pad is a bit on the mushy side.

Overall I think the quality is good to great.

I also have Series X and I have the same issue with the XSX controller as the XOX controller. Noise. It is noisy as hell. CLICK CLICK CLANK CLICK. Even noisy thumbsticks. You can hear from the other end of my apartment when someone is playing on SX. The face puttons are loud as hell and the D-pad is even louder. It also feels more plasticky and like a plastic shell with a few things inside, which it of course is, but I get less of that feeling with the DualSense.

But I still love these darn things. All their colorful versions.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
sorry, man. That sucks. I’d be skeptical but it’s just another log to throw on the PS fire as of late.

here, toss it up right over “dumb delivery”, which is burning next to the “we believe in generations” log. We just burned through the “god of war 2021” and “close ps3 stores down” logs, and could use the fire. We’ve got Jimbo tied to a poll above it, in his underwear.

Last edited:

Kupfer

People attacking OP because they feel he insulted their favourite brand
I actually like the Xbox One Controller more which I use for PC gaming, but the DS5, at least for me, feels like the best controller Sony ever made. I don't know how people play with their controllers, but reading something like "6 broken controllers in one year" is making me think, that this wouldn't happen if you take care. No drift, no peeling rubber, no coil whine, quiet fan, no broken HDMI on launch day PS4, no jet engine PS4Pro, no overheating for me in the past. But like I said, maybe I'm just the luckiest guy ever.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
Was lucky enough to secure 2 ps5s on launch (one for me and 1 for my son) and while i realise there are many of you who are yet to get a ps5
when you do you are going to experience probably the worst build quality since the old Atari 2600 rattle joysticks for the dualsense

Now before we get people jumping in and defending the dualsense..im not having a go about the dual-sense functionality
this is a discussion about the build quality of these controls

So far im up to 6 broken controllers and the only way of pro-longing the life of the control is to turn off the dualsense functions which is completely stupid
and we should not be expecting controllers to last only a couple of months using them the way they were designed

Sons ps5
1st dead control (3 months after launch) Stick drift on right stick and Right trigger stuck on always on unless you physically hold it out
2nd - (2 months after the replacement) X button stuck...both L2 and R2 triggers loose and remain on
3rd - This one has lasted about 6 months as he turned off dual sense on all games but now we have the same issues as the last 2

Mine
2 out of my controls lasted 3 months..and i only game for maybe 1 or 2 hours a day and i take pretty good care of my stuff
The third controller i turned off dual sense functions as well (like my sons) and its also lasted much longer but once again im staring down the barrel of having to replace
2 controllers within a short amount of time as this control has also given up

The main issue seems to be the cheap springs that are used in the trigger any google search you will come up with hundreds of topics about broken controllers or loose triggers
and while many of you are happy to just take them back to the store and replace we should not still be dealing with issues like this after countless class actions against companies
for controller's with defects

bO6r6WV.jpg

SxV1FAM.jpg

i miss the good old days where you could literally demo your drywall in your house and hammer in some nails / bludgeon to death someone and then jump
in and play some Streets of rage with your controller and not miss a beat

These controllers were the Nokias of Gaming
1A6BrVy.jpg
If you've managed to break SIX then that must be down to you.

NinjaBoiX

These same allegations were made against people who complained that the rubber was peeling off their dualshock sticks. Just because it hasn't happened to you, doesn't mean it's not a real issue.
Oh yeah, 100%.

But the OP is burning through pads in a matter of weeks/months, 6 different pads in a year or so is definitely an anomaly. I struggle to believe that such a failure rate has nothing to do with how they’re using it, when others seemingly have zero issues.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I actually like the Xbox One Controller more which I use for PC gaming, but the DS5, at least for me, feels like the best controller Sony ever made. I don't know how people play with their controllers, but reading something like "6 broken controllers in one year" is making me think, that this wouldn't happen if you take care. No drift, no peeling rubber, no coil whine, quiet fan, no broken HDMI on launch day PS4, no jet engine PS4Pro, no overheating for me in the past. But like I said, maybe I'm just the luckiest guy ever.
Yeah you definitely are extremely lucky if you’ve somehow avoided these 2.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
6 controllers since launch? Throwing your dualsense against a wall is not part of the dualsense experience.

Last edited:

Melchiah

Platinumed Astro's Playroom, Control, Remnant:From the Ashes, and completed Demon's Souls, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, and no issues so far.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
How do you guys use your controller ffs

My ps3 controller last to the end of its lifecycle

My ps4 controller last to the end of its lifecycle ( i bought one additional controller but not because the previous one malfunctioned i just want to have new controller with different color)

My ps5 controller hopefully last that long too

Never broke any controller even for frustrating game like souls

Some of you people need to restrain yourself from smashing controller

Also this guy manage to have 2 ps5 during this supply shortage lol
You know when you actually play games on them they break right?

Damigos

I am still on my first DS since March and its working fine.
Only thing i dont like (which is probably how they were designed in the first place) is that pressing Right on the Dpad with force also presses Up on the Dpad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom